In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51425 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#43652 Nov 23, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Not like USA and not on trains and buses
Call me when terrorists crash jets into buildings and kill 3,000 people.

Location hidden

#43653 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, yes, Belgium is a monarchy. I believe I already mentioned that.
I mentioned that as well and I have mentioned that the UK is a monarchy ( a year ago...) and I guess I will have to wait for you to respond when Packy (et al.) insist that it (Ik & Sweden) is a democracy.

I see you haven't said anything to M. when he insists I am wrong re: Sweden is a monarchy.

Is Sweden a monarchy?

Location hidden

#43654 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
< majority of the population. I said it was a law that was backed by the majority of the population. There is a difference.
That is also wrong: I am certain that there have been plenty of laws passed in Belgium that were not"backed" by the majority of the population.

Certainly: there are plenty of laws here the majority didn't approve of.

Location hidden

#43655 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
And the only power our king has is to do as he's told.
I rather doubt that but it is enough to say that Belgium is a monarchy no matter how feeble the king is.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#43656 Nov 23, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
"If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear" from your mouth to gods ears, Stalin would be proud, spoken like a true tyrant
You're crazy , nothing about our country is like Stalin.
The fact the NSA eavesdrops on communications is an unfortunate consequence of a corrupt world full of bad men who make plans to destroy another mans dreams. It was a Orwellian prediction and is of no real surprise. The surprise is when you realize , it is no different for you.

http://www.lignet.com/InBriefs/UK-Sweeping-La...

Location hidden

#43657 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
Now, if we're talking about how democratic Belgium
I wasn't.

I was saying Belgium was a monarchy.

I was saying UK was a monarchy.

I was saying Sweden was a monarchy.

What is my score?

Location hidden

#43658 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
That said, the American system is far from perfect and I wouldn't want my country to model itself after the USA.
I didn't say it was.

Do you want to check my comments and see if I say it was?

PS: My uncle fought at the Battle of the Bulge. Maybe you want to make a list of how the USA is less than perfect and I'll put it on his grave next time I visit his grave? I can read it out loud so the fellows buried next to him can hear it, I am sure they will want to listen.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43659 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I mentioned that as well and I have mentioned that the UK is a monarchy ( a year ago...) and I guess I will have to wait for you to respond when Packy (et al.) insist that it (Ik & Sweden) is a democracy.
I see you haven't said anything to M. when he insists I am wrong re: Sweden is a monarchy.
Is Sweden a monarchy?
Yes, Sweden is a monarchy, so is the UK. But European monarchies are democracies. Why are you unable to grasp this simple fact?

Our kings and queens are figureheads and have no real power.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43660 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is also wrong: I am certain that there have been plenty of laws passed in Belgium that were not"backed" by the majority of the population.
Certainly: there are plenty of laws here the majority didn't approve of.
probably, I'd have to look up concrete examples since I don't have any right now, but I wasn't talking about those laws. I was talking about one particular case in which the law had the support of the majority of the population.

Location hidden

#43661 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
I just wanted to point out that European monarchies are in fact democracies.
In fact, they are not.

Maybe you did not get that far in your English language lessons and need to refer to your dictionary.

It may be that some are *more democratic* than others but by definition, a monarchy is NOT a democracy.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43662 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I rather doubt that but it is enough to say that Belgium is a monarchy no matter how feeble the king is.
Nonetheless it's true.

Look, I have no reason to lie to you. As strange as it often seems to people Belgians have no national pride, none. We don't need to ake our country look better since b*tching about it is a favourite hobby of ours. If our king had some kind of actual power I would tell you and if that had any actual impact on my life I'd be the first to complain about it, loudly and often.

Location hidden

#43663 Nov 23, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You're crazy , nothing about our country is like Stalin.
Packy isn't interested in facts and mostly trolling. Packy isn't even British, f'r christsake.

Diminishing returns...

Location hidden

#43664 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
I was talking about one particular case in which the law had the support of the majority of the population.
Which means?

Do you think a monarch is unable in passing ('creating') laws that are supported by the majority of the population?
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43665 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't.
I was saying Belgium was a monarchy.
I was saying UK was a monarchy.
I was saying Sweden was a monarchy.
What is my score?
Three for three; three constitutional monarchies with a powerless king or queen.

This is getting repetitive.

Location hidden

#43666 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Sweden is a monarchy, so is the UK.
Great: I look forward to you correcting others.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43667 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it was.
Do you want to check my comments and see if I say it was?
PS: My uncle fought at the Battle of the Bulge. Maybe you want to make a list of how the USA is less than perfect and I'll put it on his grave next time I visit his grave? I can read it out loud so the fellows buried next to him can hear it, I am sure they will want to listen.
Two of my great uncles were executed by the Germans because they smuggled downed ally pilots out of Belgium and back to Britain through the comet line.

Should I go stand next to their graves and tell them how the nephew of a man they fought besides uses the WWII as an excuse not to have to own up to the things that are less than perfect in his country?

The men who fought and died in Europe while fighting the nazi's were heroes. You using their sacrifice this way is despicable.

Location hidden

#43668 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Three for three; three constitutional monarchies with a powerless king or queen.
This is getting repetitive.
Is it?

Tell me: if a monarch can dismiss the elected government, is the monarch powerless?
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43669 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, they are not.
Maybe you did not get that far in your English language lessons and need to refer to your dictionary.
It may be that some are *more democratic* than others but by definition, a monarchy is NOT a democracy.
"Today, the majority of democratic countries in the world are republics, i.e. officials are elected. Some well-established democratic countries in Europe, however,(the United Kingdom, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxemburg and the Scandinavian countries) are constitutional monarchies, i.e. a king or queen is head of state while the constitution guarantees nevertheless all basic rights as in any democratic republic and sets clear limits to duties and competences of the monarch. Such a king can be regarded as a stabilizing factor rather than as a danger for a democracy. Therefore the classical definition of democracy is little helpful - at least concerning monarchy."

http://www.democracy-building.info/definition...
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#43670 Nov 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it?
Tell me: if a monarch can dismiss the elected government, is the monarch powerless?
That's the point, they can't, that's where the constitution part of constitutional monarchy comes in.

Location hidden

#43671 Nov 23, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonetheless it's true.
Look, I have no reason to lie to you.
Did I say you lied?

Let us supposed I said the UK, Sweden, and Belgium were monarchies and let's suppose I was right: how long do you think the 'conversation' would have lasted?

Oh.. right... I am right.

There would be less repetition if others would stop insisting the UK & Sweden were not monarchies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newt Gingrich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Analysis: Trump the dealmaker struggles to seal... 5 hr jonjedi 29
News Santorum, Gingrich tote Etch A Sketch toys (Mar '12) Thu Grecian Formula 16 38
News Gingrich: Romney will win 'over 300 electoral v... (Oct '12) Mar 21 Trumptard Abandon... 36
News Nation-Now 42 mins ago 1:34 p.m.How glitter has... Mar 13 Ria 1
News Trump's wiretapping claims puncture veneer of p... Mar 7 Mrymolly2 1
News Gingrich: Madonna should be arrested for White ... Feb '17 About time 206
News new Trump Cabinet pick paid by a cult-likea Ira... Feb '17 gwww 4
More from around the web