Ringtone halts NY orchestra performance

Jan 12, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTNH

That's what happened Tuesday night at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall during the final movement of Gustav Mahler's Ninth Symphony by the New York Philharmonic.

Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

That was rude. You would think that high class people attend such events and would know how to act.
Moliner

El Centro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

Purple Gurl wrote:
That was rude. You would think that high class people attend such events and would know how to act.
Many so called "high class people" seem to be of the opinion that rules of common courtesy don't apply tot hem.
Moliner

El Centro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

Oops....

"to them"
Enzo the Baker

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

Purple Gurl wrote:
Anyone with a lot of money who is housebroken can be considered high class...

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

They should have discreetly thrown the schmuck out on his/her patootie.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

Good for Mr. Gilbert! He should have asked the phone and owner be removed together before continuing.

It's time people realized they have no right to impose their private life into public venues. This incident goes beyond the question of manners. You buy tickets for a performance, you leave the phone locked in the car or turned off. You can't part with it that long, don't go! Others also paid for tickets. The performers worked long and hard to present enjoyable listening,.. you cell ring is not on the program.

Cell phones addicts who are oblivious to others in certain public arenas push my button. The last funeral I attended, two, not one, cell phones rang during the ceremony. Unbelieveable!
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Mahler's Ninth is an hour and a half long; something had to put a halt to it.

..kidding..

“... lazy, hazy, crazy...”

Since: Aug 08

... daze of summer ...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

Far Away wrote:
Mahler's Ninth is an hour and a half long; something had to put a halt to it.
..kidding..
you must be kidding it is the most well spent hour and a half i have ever spent that and the time i dropped a lit road flare down my coveralls and i was wearing mittens...

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

off the trail wrote:
Good for Mr. Gilbert! He should have asked the phone and owner be removed together before continuing.
It's time people realized they have no right to impose their private life into public venues. This incident goes beyond the question of manners. You buy tickets for a performance, you leave the phone locked in the car or turned off. You can't part with it that long, don't go! Others also paid for tickets. The performers worked long and hard to present enjoyable listening,.. you cell ring is not on the program.
Cell phones addicts who are oblivious to others in certain public arenas push my button. The last funeral I attended, two, not one, cell phones rang during the ceremony. Unbelieveable!
A restaurant is one thing, as even customers present discuss personal things in public. As for the notion of interjecting personal life into public in general, I am not opposed, since I'd rather people be close to the same everywhere than hypocrites. Why should you become someone other than who you are when you are in public?

As for this particular incident specifically, I feel the phone user was in the wrong and should have turned it off before the concert. There is a certain protocol to be followed, and it is selfish to keep others from enjoying their evenings and the symphony. I am sure the tickets were not cheap, and the other came to hear the symphony. If they wanted to hear cell phones, they could have stayed home, or went to almost any restaurant, bus terminal, airport, apartment complex, or street corner. But no, they payed good money to see, and particularly to hear the symphony.

In this case, if the phone call was that important, there is such a thing as Bluetooth. It can ring directly into your ear, or vibrate or flash the phone. If they have Bluetooth, they could also take a rear seat in case they need to excuse themselves to minimize the disruption. Of course, I agree that the best course is not to come if you cannot do without a particular call.

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

I was at a youth event, and right before it started, the leader led with a song and asked the group to join in if they knew it or could figure it out as they went along:

(To "If You're Happy and You Know It")

If you have a cellphone with you turn it off.
If you have a cellphone with you,
turn it off or put on vibrate.

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

off the trail wrote:
This is one of a number of places nobody should have a phone turned on (except maybe Bluetooth, and then you should be in the back or something so you can get away in a hurry). I remember a guy in church who had a pager with him (before cell phones were in wide use) in church, and that was disrupting a few times, but he was a fire fighter or paramedic, and we tended to overlook that.

Anyway, here is the list of places I consider off-limits:

1. Church

2. The movies

3. Black tie restaurants (I tend to consider hamburger joints and noisy restaurants fair game, so long as you keep your voice and subject matter reasonable.)

4. Formal concerts and symphonies. Rock concerts might not be as much a problem since they play quite loudly and everyone is screaming. Most bring their phones for the cameras to rock concerts if the security isn't hard on piracy.

5. On a plane during take-off or landing, or any other time flight crew says not to use them.

6. In court. Don't be texting, talking on the phone, nor letting it ring while there.

7. In a class during a lecture or during active instruction time. Also no texting nor web searching during exams.

8. While interacting with the police. If an officer asks for your ID and registration, you don't want to be there yacking away on the phone as if you don't hear him or her. They might snatch it from you or flip it closed for you, and the rest of the encounter won't go well.

9. In most government buildings, particularly if there are signs. That would include the post office, Social Security, Social Services, City Hall, the local utilities, etc. If you must, talk outside or in an outer foyer or outer lobby if available.

10. While at the cash register. If you must take a call in a line, either leave the line or let others around you before you get to the register.

11. Outside designated areas in hospitals. They are often allowed in lobbies and certain waiting areas, but might not be in other parts of the hospital. Hospital equipment is generally well shielded, but it is better to be safe than sorry, and human life is more important than a phone call.

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

12. A lot of sporting events. While it is may not be the worst place to bring a phone, if you get too loud and off-topic during a game, someone might decide to hurt you. There is a lot of testosterone and team spirit, and often a lot of alcohol as well. If you get between some big drunken guy and his game, he might smash you in the head with a bottle, or literally shove your phone somewhere.
Romney s Magic Skivvies

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

And the ringtone was from "Des Knaben Wunderhorn."

Highly inappropriate.
Moliner

El Centro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Enzo the Baker wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone with a lot of money who is housebroken can be considered high class...
Only on the East Coast. Anywhere else, they are just crass rich people.
Money has never been able to buy "class."
Moliner

El Centro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
They should have discreetly thrown the schmuck out on his/her patootie.
I very rarely agree with anything you post, but in this case, I say yes.

“... lazy, hazy, crazy...”

Since: Aug 08

... daze of summer ...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

do they make phones that don't vibrate...?

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

how:????????? discreetly

If a device does go off, ushers are directed to discreetly ask the owner to turn it off.

in front of everyone

“Autumn”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

On a Christmas morning, right in
the middle of a childrens Mass, as the the Priest's was
delivering a sermon, his cellphone started
to loudly ring;
to everyone's shock, instead of switching it off,
he shuffled through his white vestments took out the phone and proceeded to talk on it, saying..

"Hello! Oh! how wonderful of
you to call, WHAT?
Oh! yes - yes indeed, the children are
all very well behaved ..
I'll give them your HAPPY CHRISTMAS
message, the same to you..

and thanks so much SANTA for ringing us"

Nice to come across an imaginative priest
now and then.

Since: Jul 07

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Wonder if the ringtone was the "old phone" tone. If it was,it would be the "loudest" tone in an iPhone.

“Autumn”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Tourex wrote:
Wonder if the ringtone was the "old phone" tone. If it was,it would be the "loudest" tone in an iPhone.
Dono' if I agree re the
loudest..

Try the 'pin ball' tone..
I use that for an alarm - never fails
lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New York Philharmonic Discussions

Search the New York Philharmonic Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Philharmonic's 'Insights Series' Now Free; 2... (Sep '13) Sep '13 alexwong 1
Healthcare - Mike Fernandez - Critical Homecare... (May '13) May '13 Cuban American 1
Turkish pianist charged with insulting Islam (Jun '12) Jun '12 Wilberhum 1
Legendary conductor Masur hospitalized in Paris (Apr '12) Apr '12 Dunnia Goldstein 1
Classical Beat: Everyone wants to get in on the... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Jean 2
How to outrage hundreds of New Yorkers: Let you... (Jan '12) Jan '12 EJB 1
Singing in the rain with Andrea Bocelli (Sep '11) Sep '11 John Neal 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••