Nas Says Hip Hop is Dead ... The N

Full story: Vibe 361
Nas is about to slap hip hop with a declaration of death. On Thursday night , while performing at the Roots ' show in New York City's Radio City Music Hall , the Illmatic One announced that his first album off ... Read more
First Prev
of 19
Next Last
jay dog

George Town, Cayman Islands

#1 May 21, 2006
hip hop was dead when nas signed with jayz taking away from the true essence of hip hop battles.
miss_ifekt

Brisbane, Australia

#2 May 22, 2006
Nas is needs too wake up and listen to some KRS-ONE!
theseus

Paris, France

#3 May 22, 2006
hip hop has been been on the verge of dying for a while now... but maybe nas can wake it the f k up by giving it a good kick in the a s
Stacy

Columbia, SC

#4 May 23, 2006
Instead of bitchin' bout Hip Hop bein dead he should do somethin to try and save it. By jus sittin there and makin comments like that he is lettin hip hop die.
Head

Houston, TX

#5 May 23, 2006
Hip Hop can Never be dead, not if Flip,Mike jones and those DB4(or whatever clowns),Santana,K fed,Lil jon, ying yang twins, jizzy (the whole Bad Boy south)and Spyder loc are still alive. Hip Hop Forever.
Nas also did a lot for the game by signing to Jay Z. Nice! can't beat em join em rite?
miss_ifekt

Australia

#7 May 23, 2006
NAS IS STUPID FOR SIGNING TO JAY-Z! THATS MY OPINION ANYWAY, I SEE NAS A BETTER ARTIST THAT JAY, DONT GET ME WRONG, I RESPECT JAY-Z FOR HOW FAR HE HAS COME IN THE INDUSTRY - BUT THERE IS NO HEART, NO TWIST,(MAYBE IN A SELECT FEW). ALL I HEAR HIM TALK ABOUT IS HIMSELF AND MONEY (just like 50, lil jon< santana, flip ect) EVEN NAS DOES IT - HELL... THE WHOLE COMMERCIAL INDUSTRY DOES IT! BUT I BELIEVE NAS CAN MAKE MORE OF HIMSELF - I WISH THE ARTISTS WOULD WAKE UP AND SEE THAT NOT EVERYBODY CAN RELATE TO THERE LIFESTYLE YA KNOW? HIP HOP IS FADING - PEOPLE ARE GETTING SICK OF HEARING THE SAME SH-T! HIP-HOP IS SOMETHING YOU LIVE! RAP IS SOMETHING YOU DO! THE WHOLE HIP HOP SCENE IS FLOUNDERING... NOT INCLUDING THE RAP INDUSTRY - THATS THE ONLY PART OF HIP HIP THATS MAD IT BIG TIME...
SOONER OR LATER... ITS GONNA DIE IF NO ARTIST WILL TAKE THE STAND AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - NAS JUST TOOK THE FIRST STEP! AT LEAST HE IS CONCIOUS OF IT. HE JUST GOTTA FOLLOW THROUGH NOW - LETS SEE IF HE DOES... PEACE OUT PEOPLE.
john hoffman

King Of Prussia, PA

#8 May 25, 2006
hip hop has been dead for many years because it has been completley dehumanized by all the unrealistic lyrical style and machine like beats. When a rapper talks about being a milionare and liveing the lifestyle that could not possibly be lived people begin to loose there connection with what the MC is saying. When that happens people just focus on the beats that are machine made and very redudant and dont sound nearly as good as real instraments. sure the producer may sample but even then it doesent sound like the instrament itself. So in the end rap is dead because it has taken a minimalist aprouch and has lost touched with what realy music is supposed to do. The goal of music is to incite an emotion from the listner or establish some type of strong connection with the audience. Now my critque of music is very basic and i hope i put it in a language you can understand but if you realy wish to learn how to critque music you should look up the name "john cage".
Gods african son

Houston, TX

#9 May 26, 2006
What is an unrealistic Lyrical Style? Your language, though filled with spelling errors is easy to understand. How come u cant related with a person living good and put it out there in the face of the "haters"?
One person says something and you all jump on the band wagon.
Hip Hop Can never be Dead!!
the loose one

Vancouver, Canada

#10 May 31, 2006
well if hip-hop is on the way out i'm sure B.I.G. will do something to save it.
miss_ifekt

Australia

#11 May 31, 2006
the loose one wrote:
well if hip-hop is on the way out i'm sure B.I.G. will do something to save it.
Bro... If Hip-Hop is dead Im sure alot of people would be doin alot about it. MOST YOU PEOPLE DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT TRUE HIP-HOP IS.
I suggest somebody go into Google and Type in "HIP-HIP DECLARATION OF PEACE" and find out what hip hop is really ment to be about.
Unfortunatley its not. Hip-Hop Society is dieng because everybody in the commercial industry is talking/rapping about the same Bulls*^t!!! Yeh I agree In ways HIP-HOP may never die, but if this materialistic display that they continue to portay carries on, most people who love hip-hop for what it REALLY is will lose respect for everything HIP-HOP has become. Nas Kows this people,he is one of the most talented artist who knows how to put true thought, talent, wit, and especially soul into a really creative song. I actually have no respect for everyrapper out there that continue to rap about whips, bling, money hoes, cash, guns, killing, sex, ect. and the list goes on. they base there songs around all these things... Does anybody else notice this about these commercial rappers?<-------ANYBODY AT ALL???? I know some who read this will ignore what i say, but, seriousley... None of the songs with this topics are original... WHERES THE FUC&*^IN INDIVIDUALISM HUH? Aiight im out people - sorry if I offended, thats just my view! Peace out God bless to all!
(LISTEN TO KRS-ONE knowledge riegns supreme over nearly everybody)
WHUT

Harare, Zimbabwe

#12 Jun 2, 2006
miss_ifekt wrote:
Nas is needs too wake up and listen to some KRS-ONE!
When the last time you heard KRS ONE If there's anyone who needs to wake up its you Nas been representing for a while and you need to start seeing through the hate and start recognisin' the True King Of Hip Hop , I believe my Nas gonna represent with the new album , STOP HATIN'
Vendric aka Fundamental

La Mesa, CA

#13 Jun 2, 2006
hip-hop ain't dead cuz you always gonna have emcee proving that they ain't nothing but some fake a** gangstaz. If we continue to have these emcees then the real n****z is going to eat them up for practice. If you an emcee then you gonna need to practice on the worst of the bunch. So i think that this bull sh*t ice rap should be turned off and we need a new direction in music. Nas has a phenominal flow and i don't think any one can match it. Hip-hop isn't gonna come close to death until he is in the grave.
1LILQUESOUTHAFRI CA

Wynberg, South Africa

#14 Jun 9, 2006
TUPAC DID HE'S THING.BIG DID HIS THING NOW THEY ARE GONE.I HV TO SAY I REALLY DON'T DIG NAS SIGNING WITH JAY-Z,I DONT HATE DA NIGGA I HATE DA COLLABORATION.
HIP HOP AINT DYING ANYTIME SOON BUT I FEEL MISS IFEKT'S FACTS DA ARTISTS TALK ABOUT SAME SHIT ALL DA TYM.PEOPLE KRS IS STILL ALIVE SO HOW CAN HIP HOP DIE.NAS DAWG I DIG U,SO START BEING RESPONSIBLE,U ARE DA ROOTS OF HIP HOP HOW CAN U BUILD SOMETHING AND LET IT FALL APART,ACT BOY ACT.
ALL U GUYS SAYING ARE FACTS ARE I DIG U ALL,U DO KNOW HIP HOP, KEEP WAKING DA SO-CALLED PROFFESSIONALS UP.
PEACE OUT!!!
BuckStmp211

Doylestown, PA

#15 Jun 9, 2006
i really agree w/ miss_ifekt

Nas is better than Jay-z

it has been proven that jay doesnt have heart when he was fighting w/ nas

nas came out w/ ether

all jay talks about is his empire and that he owns

Nas should have stayed

but maybe

this will make more people notice him

anyways, where ever nas is he will shine

on a different note, i think jay is good

but not the best

besides tupac

i think nas is the truest and possibly the bestn rapper

he showed that in one mic

in my oppinion one of the best songs ever

Nas Will Bring Hip Hop Back From Death

peace out,
steve

any other comments just IM me

fcbucksrocks16
miss_ifekt _im_a_girl

Australia

#16 Jun 13, 2006
BuckStmp211 wrote:
i really agree w/ miss_ifekt
Nas is better than Jay-z
it has been proven that jay doesnt have heart when he was fighting w/ nas
nas came out w/ ether
all jay talks about is his empire and that he owns
Nas should have stayed
but maybe
this will make more people notice him
anyways, where ever nas is he will shine
on a different note, i think jay is good
but not the best
besides tupac
i think nas is the truest and possibly the bestn rapper
he showed that in one mic
in my oppinion one of the best songs ever
Nas Will Bring Hip Hop Back From Death
peace out,
steve
any other comments just IM me
fcbucksrocks16
Im really happy someone does agree!!! Its good to see someone does look at the brighter side of hip-hop! Ether killed it!!! i really really like your point of view and would like to discuss more about it with you. add me - its_babyk_ok@hotmail.com
miss_ifekt _im_a_girl

Australia

#17 Jun 13, 2006
WHUT wrote:
<quoted text>When the last time you heard KRS ONE If there's anyone who needs to wake up its you Nas been representing for a while and you need to start seeing through the hate and start recognisin' the True King Of Hip Hop , I believe my Nas gonna represent with the new album , STOP HATIN'
KRS-ONE kills Nas spiritually man! KRS-One will never ever say Hip-Hop is dead.. EVER. Sounds like nas is quiting to me. He feels defeated... otherwise he would have never signed to jay!! I dont hate on nas man, hes one of my favourite rappers. Im just dissapointed he signed on to someone thats not as good as him talent wise ya know? you would have to agree if ur such a great fan???
(dont hate on the KRS fan) If you listen to KRS-One, you would be able to feel what im sayin. KRS-One defines hip-hop for what it really is... nas degrades it by saying sh*t like "hip-hop is dead" out of pride. peace out man - and listen to krs-one!
miss_ifekt _im_a_girl

Australia

#18 Jun 13, 2006
Vendric aka Fundamental wrote:
hip-hop ain't dead cuz you always gonna have emcee proving that they ain't nothing but some fake a** gangstaz. If we continue to have these emcees then the real n****z is going to eat them up for practice. If you an emcee then you gonna need to practice on the worst of the bunch. So i think that this bull sh*t ice rap should be turned off and we need a new direction in music. Nas has a phenominal flow and i don't think any one can match it. Hip-hop isn't gonna come close to death until he is in the grave.
Yes... hip-hop should definatley have a new direction - LIKE POSITIVITY?? i wonder what the world would be like if all music was positive. nah... hip-hop wont be dead if nas dies... theres still the underground cats and the future generation rappers. oh and KRS-ONE!!!!
sonni

UK

#19 Jun 25, 2006
no jay z nd nas paired up to save hip hop strictly becuase they thought it is goin to its grave, and would u actuali wnat jigga or nas gunned dwn , to of the bets lyricist the world has ever seen,only fagz like fiddy r strtn beef to get noticed, nd if u fink tht tru hip hop, then hip hop wuda cleaned house along time a go
A-State Player

New Castle, DE

#20 Jun 25, 2006
miss_ifekt wrote:
NAS JUST TOOK THE FIRST STEP! AT LEAST HE IS CONCIOUS OF IT. HE JUST GOTTA FOLLOW THROUGH NOW
Nas will probably just say f*** real hip hop, I want money, and will come out with some snapping, lean-wit-it song.
2Pac_Nas

Hampton Bays, NY

#22 Jul 3, 2006
I don't think nas meant Hip-Hop is acutually dead...he meant it as he is going to end alot of phony rappers careers with his upcoming album. He isn't degrading hip-hop why would one of the best MC's of all time do something like that. "Alot of Mc's are dead"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Nas Better Than Tupac? (Jun '06) Dec '14 Yeeeee 205
News HHP sources Nas (Nov '09) Jun '14 91nation 3
News Nas Giving Out Scholarships (Apr '14) Apr '14 Jubilant Sleep 2
News SERCH Coming to DC50 (Jan '14) Jan '14 LadyValentibne 1
News DMX Confirms Belly Sequel (Jun '06) Jan '14 Ant 17
So Who Won The Fight, Jay-Z or Nas? (Jun '06) Oct '13 Amaritza 50
News Is rapper 50 Cent the master of "beef" or a PR ... (Dec '09) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 9
More from around the web