'Beethoven' movie scores low on facts

At the convent where the titular steno in 'Copying Beethoven' goes to escape the tortures of her day job, the Mother Superior makes not-so-vague allusions to the treatment she received as a young girl at the ... Read more
NICK HOUVRAS

West Bloomfield, MI

#1 Apr 10, 2007
SINCE THERE IS SO MUCH TALK OF CLOUDS.....AND G-D, I SUBMITT THIS:

OBSERVATION OF THE SKY

There is a face in the left hand
Looking up to the heavens and,
the eyes are half closed!
A gentle expression that is moving and white
grey and black like a giant cloud it drifts with the current of the wind.
And says nothing like a silent prayer.
Now it has become a dogs head on the shoulders of a man
And the moon looks perturbed that something so close yet so far,
can dominate the sky.
Leaving no trail behind or gesture to remember.
Doug Purcell

Edmonds, WA

#2 Apr 22, 2007
Thanks for the factual construction. However, your primary factual error, Salieri as french is incorrect. As the Mother Superior says, she never got to see Salieri, but "only his assistant." It is the assistant, not Salieri that she identifies as "French."
moviebuff

Portage, MI

#3 Apr 25, 2007
Hmmm. Maybe you should check your own facts. The nun in question, did not, in fact, refer to Salieri as French; what she actually said was that she was sent to study with Salieri, but never actually worked with him. Instead, she was sent to work with an assistant of his, who, as she said, was French.
Robert Howard

United States

#4 Apr 27, 2007
In my opinion the character, Anna Holtz is the embodiment of several aspects of Schiller's poem as set by Beethoven.

Schillers poem states than joy is achieved when one experiences a bond with one single soul. Elsewhere that a man's joy comes from the love of a wife and further, one who does that have love walks away weeping from the circle.

Tears came to my eyes in the scene where Anna runs her fingers over the notes being sung of the passage "Seid umschlungen Millionen..."

That is the very passage where Schiller and Beethoven connected the worldly to the spiritual.

The movie has nothing to do with facts but then none of our response to beautiful music comes from its facts.
Sue

Castle Hill, Australia

#5 May 4, 2007
Mother Superior actually says she never got to meet Salieri but she ended up working with one of his assistants and he, in fact, was --French.....did you actually see this film?
John W

Spokane, WA

#6 May 26, 2007
I enjoyed it purely as movie, but was thinking no such thing could have happened at that period of time, and for Ed Harris as Beethoven he did seem to be able get into character from what I have read about Beethoven even if he is a american.
Jo Lane

United States

#7 Aug 12, 2007
You need to listen to the movie again. The elderly nun referred to one of Saliere's assistants
really mad guy

Australia

#8 May 9, 2008
"copying beethoven" is a dreadful Beethoven movie.
You need to see "Imortal Beloved".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mozart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Robert Newman - The Mozart Myth (May '09) Mar 8 Robert N 296
News Overcoming turmoil, Met opera opens season (Sep '14) Sep '14 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News 60 MINUTES/Vanity Fair Music Poll: Americans St... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Miley Cyrus 1
News Famous People with Autism who were Successful (Nov '13) Feb '14 Read These 6
News Russian diva to open third Met season in a row (Sep '13) Sep '13 hunt 1
News Offbeat music a YouTube hit (Apr '12) Jul '13 Jedi mynd 28
News Gay Quartet Heats Up Their Strings With Mozart ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Faloola Chong 1
More from around the web