Spurlock lives with Navajo for '30 Da...

Spurlock lives with Navajo for '30 Days' show

There are 39 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Jul 7, 2008, titled Spurlock lives with Navajo for '30 Days' show. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock lived without running water or electricity during the 30 days he spent with a family on the Navajo reservation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Darnell

United States

#1 Jul 7, 2008
I am a Dineh(Navajo) from the Ramah Navajo Reservation and I have Black American (42 years old) visiting the southwest and visiting my family for the first time. Although I don't live in a hogan, my other family live in a home without plumbing and adequate heating system. Fortunately, we have electricity. This documentary will provide an indepth experience for him and how I tried best to explain how many of the commuity members as well as the greater Navajo Nation reside on the reservation.
Apache

Roy, NM

#2 Jul 8, 2008
I agree life is hard on the reservation, but you only make it hard on yourselves by depending on the government and corrupt tribal leaders for hand outs. I left the reservation by choice a long time ago and I am proud to have my OWN HOME, Running Water, and Electricity. Life is greener on the the other side of the Fence. Just leave it...
Interested

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jul 8, 2008
Will this be airing on network television or cable tv? I am very interested and would like to know when it is scheduled to air. Any information is welcome. Thanks
If you are still awake

Florence, AL

#4 Jul 8, 2008
Interested wrote:
Will this be airing on network television or cable tv? I am very interested and would like to know when it is scheduled to air. Any information is welcome. Thanks
It will be on at 11:05 pm & 12:05 am, tonight on channel 39 (ABQ comcast).
If you miss it tonight, it will be on again late Friday night at midnight.

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#5 Jul 9, 2008
I watched this show last night, and the people on the reservation seem to lack any inspiration or motivation to make their lives and living conditions any better....they want the old ways and traditions to live on, well guess what..if you want to keep the ways of the eighth century to guide your life..then don't complain when you do not have the niceties of the 21'st century. Teepees didn't have running water or electricity either. And that one guy..since he didn't do well at the rodeo..siad "now I guess I have to get a job"...poor baby..now he has to work!...the shame!...geez.
Interested

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jul 9, 2008
Interested wrote:
Will this be airing on network television or cable tv? I am very interested and would like to know when it is scheduled to air. Any information is welcome. Thanks
Thanks, I caught part of it late last night. I get up early so I'll tape it. I didn't watch all of it so I'm commenting.
Interested

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jul 9, 2008
I didn't catch all of it so I'm NOT commenting.
ABQResident

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Jul 11, 2008
Daniel,
You obviously have no sense of your own culture...whatever that may be. Loss of culture is something that is happening all over, regardless of the ethnicity.

As for their "lack of motivation and inspiration", you ought to live one day in another person's shoes before you start commenting and putting others down. How motivated and inspired would you be if you did not have the means to fix your predicament? If everywhere you turned there was NO HOPE. That is precisely what a lot of people on the reservation face everyday. Those of us that actually move off the reservation are FORCED to assimilate and therefore lose our culture in order to survive in OUR own friggin' country. Sound inspirational or motivating to you?

As for teepees Daniel, you are quite the moron, PLAINS Native Americans lived in teepees. As the show explained, as did Mr. Spurlock, Navajos lived in hogans. Not the same as teepee's.

some people on the reservation don't have running water, sewage systems, etc. Heck, make sure you're not dying somewhere on the rez because trying to get in touch with 911 is like trying to touch the freakin' moon. For a country that spends money and broadcasts images of people living in "horrible" conditions in other countries, you'd think the US would try to keep those kinds of conditions from existing in their own boundaries. This is not the case. I invite you to spend one month on the rez and experience it for yourself. I'm sure you'd have a completely different outlook.

Try educating yourself JUST A LIL' BIT Daniel before you make boneheaded comments and silly remarks. Makes you look bad...although it is quite entertaining.
ABQResident

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Jul 11, 2008
Ugh....I got censored...."M0R0N" is that was "bleeped" out.
Hybrid

Los Alamos, NM

#10 Jul 11, 2008
Wow.

That hate and negativity has final eaten through Daniel's brain like battery acid on a marshmallow.

His ancestors from other lands probably said the same thing before they seized, took, stole,(take your pick) the land he is farming right now.

Stop feeding that evil wolf inside of you, Daniel...you'll feel much better, and so will all who come in contact with you.

Life is much too short to live it with a burr up your booty. Unless, of course, you like your booty prickly. Not that there is anything wrong with that...
Interested

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jul 11, 2008
Am looking forward to watching the program tonight. It is sad to read comments like Daniel in Hobbs wrote. This is about culture, a hard life here in the Four Corners area and a life that's very different from city life.

I hope other people will watch it with an open mind.
Who Is That

Los Alamos, NM

#12 Jul 11, 2008
Maybe Daniel should have gone instead of Spurlock.
Interested

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jul 11, 2008
That would have been an eye opener. He wouldn't have what it takes to even look at this as a learning expierence.
Hybrid

Los Alamos, NM

#14 Jul 11, 2008
When NASA was preparing for the Apollo project, it took the astronauts to a Navajo reservation in Arizona for training. One day, a Navajo elder and his son came across the space crew walking among the rocks.

The elder, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question. His son translated for the NASA people:“What are these guys in the big suits doing?”

One of the astronauts said that they were practicing for a trip to the moon. When his son relayed this comment the Navajo elder got all excited and asked if it would be possible to give the astronauts a message to deliver to the moon.

Recognizing a promotional opportunity when he saw one, a NASA official accompanying the astronauts said,“Why certainly!” and told an underling to get a tape recorder.

The Navajo elder’s comments into the microphone were brief. The NASA official asked the son if he would translate what his father had said. The son listened to the recording and laughed uproariously. But he refused to translate.

So the NASA people took the tape to a nearby Navajo village and played it for other members of the tribe. They too laughed long and loudly, but also refused to translate the elders’ message to the moon.

An official government translator was summoned. After he finally stopped laughing, the translator relayed the message:

“Watch out for these assholes. They have come to steal your land.”
Hybrid

Los Alamos, NM

#15 Jul 11, 2008
Interested wrote:
That would have been an eye opener. He wouldn't have what it takes to even look at this as a learning expierence.
Yeah, he'd probably drive them crazy, too.

They'd probably try putting him in the sweat lodge to drive out the evil spirits, and he'd end up flooding the rez.
Interested

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jul 11, 2008
Hybrid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he'd probably drive them crazy, too.
They'd probably try putting him in the sweat lodge to drive out the evil spirits, and he'd end up flooding the rez.
Not to mention what wild tales he'd come up with. Or maybe his version of life on the rez. That story of NASA put a smile on this old face.
victoria the city life

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Jul 13, 2008
The Navajo Reservation is a third world country, It quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God, Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.
victoria the city life

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jul 13, 2008
I did enjoy the 30 days show. Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, I do Thank you for the public statement.
Brian McCarthy

Lansing, MI

#19 Jul 14, 2008
I caught the episode last night at a friends house. I've never seen the show as I don't have cable myself. I have to say I was touched beyond belief.

I just returned from a 4 month trip in S . E Asia and spent 40 days in Laos. I was overwhelmed by the warmth I felt from the people in Laos, especially the many that still hold on to their culture and thus live quite primitive lives.

I realized last night, that there are many similarities between the indigenous people of my own country (the USA) and of the indigenous cultures I lived amongst in Asia. I couldn't believe how little I know about the people whose land I now live on.

I traveled far away to surround myself with Eastern culture, but don't really know anything about the culture that will soon be erased because of my own culture.

I'm fascinated with the spirituality of Navajos and must learn more about them, and the rest of the original inhabitants of this land.

Life is not all about gaining electricity and running water. Industry has had it's obviously negative effects on the world, that can't be ignored.

From what I gathered the spiritual beliefs of the Navajo people focus on the mysterious beauty that is life on this Earth. Whether it be dirt, an eagle, or the Sun, we can see the mysterious essence that can be called "God" in all of it.

When the grandmother in the episode expressed her fear of these messages being lost, I realized how much we modern people could learn about the beauty of life from this ancient culture that we pushed away.

I could go on and on about how much this show affected me. Can anyone recommend some further steps I could take to learn more about these messages, or correct me if I've misunderstood?
president Mccain

United States

#20 Jul 14, 2008
ABQResident wrote:
Daniel,
You obviously have no sense of your own culture...whatever that may be. Loss of culture is something that is happening all over, regardless of the ethnicity.
As for their "lack of motivation and inspiration", you ought to live one day in another person's shoes before you start commenting and putting others down. How motivated and inspired would you be if you did not have the means to fix your predicament? If everywhere you turned there was NO HOPE. That is precisely what a lot of people on the reservation face everyday. Those of us that actually move off the reservation are FORCED to assimilate and therefore lose our culture in order to survive in OUR own friggin' country. Sound inspirational or motivating to you?
As for teepees Daniel, you are quite the moron, PLAINS Native Americans lived in teepees. As the show explained, as did Mr. Spurlock, Navajos lived in hogans. Not the same as teepee's.
some people on the reservation don't have running water, sewage systems, etc. Heck, make sure you're not dying somewhere on the rez because trying to get in touch with 911 is like trying to touch the freakin' moon. For a country that spends money and broadcasts images of people living in "horrible" conditions in other countries, you'd think the US would try to keep those kinds of conditions from existing in their own boundaries. This is not the case. I invite you to spend one month on the rez and experience it for yourself. I'm sure you'd have a completely different outlook.
Try educating yourself JUST A LIL' BIT Daniel before you make boneheaded comments and silly remarks. Makes you look bad...although it is quite entertaining.
My friends, this comment is made by a total twit...if the conditions in which you live are bad....move!!!!...duh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morgan Spurlock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Morgan Spurlock documenting wide range of subje... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Garlanda Goldwin 1
News Olmsted Falls district pulls video on Islam (Oct '13) Oct '13 Proud American 2
News Morgan Spurlock to aid fundraiser for children (Dec '10) Dec '10 bobbi 1
News 'The Simpsons' marks 450th episode with special (Jan '10) Jan '10 triple6vamp 3
News 'The Simpsons' marks 450th episode with special (Jan '10) Jan '10 thought_police 1
News 'The Simpsons' marks 450th episode with special... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Dan 5
News Network series 30 Days' focuses on Navajo cultu... (Jul '08) Dec '09 Native perspective 144
More from around the web