What the 2012 election taught us

Nov 6, 2012 Full story: The Washington Post 10,324

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10438 May 6, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
"The good news, such as it is: we actually have a good sense of where the guns used in crimes come from. The bad news: they come from lots of places—gun shops, gun shows, straw purchasers, family members, addicts selling their guns for drugs, burglaries. The biggest hurdle for gun control is that there are lots and lots of guns out there, and many routes into the hands of people who want them, although regulations do have an effect on the market.
* In 2004, David Bernstein wrote "The Biography of a Gun" for Chicago, tracing how one gun traveled 4,500 miles over 20 years, from Italy to California to Chicago (with an 11 year gap in between "due to recently passed legislation that bars all information regarding crime gun traces from being placed in the public record"), finally landing in the hands of a straw buyer with a valid FOID card at a store in Lansing, Illinois:
A former student at DeVry University who spent a year as a low-ranking Black Disciples gang "foot soldier," Edmondson had loose ties to various gang members around his neighborhood. He told authorities he typically sold guns to the gangs in exchange for marijuana and cash. The Tanfoglio was sold for $325 to an alleged gang member whom Edmondson claimed to know only as Frank, a drug dealer for the gang. According to the confession, Edmondson instructed Frank to scrape off the serial number "if he was going to go out and do some crazy stuff."
On Easter Sunday, 2003, a bullet from the gun almost killed a seven-year-old on the front steps of her West Englewood home.
Chicago's handgun ban was recently struck down, but before that it was surrounded by hundreds of gun stores:
Altogether, there are 441 federally licensed dealers in suburban Cook County and the five collar counties, according to the latest ATF data. Most of these suburban shops, officials say, are law-abiding businesses that operate responsibly. But a small percentage—fewer than 1 percent, the city says—are responsible for nearly half of all the firearms used in crimes in Chicago.
It's not just Chicago: "Prior to May 1999, a single gun store sold more than half of the guns recovered from criminals in Milwaukee, WI, shortly following retail sale."
* Assuming that figure is accurate, it still leaves tens of thousands of then-illegal guns to account for. In 1992, Don Terry looked into the city's illegal gun market and found that obtaining a gun on the street was also easy:
The gangs and other criminals also get weapons through barter, or "trade-ins." The gangs trade narcotics for the guns of drug-addicted burglars, who will sell a $500 pistol for less than $100.
"We get half our guns through trade-ins with dope fiends," said a gang member on the South Side. "If you wanted a gun right now, we could put in an order and you'd have it. It's like going through the drive-through window.'Give me some fries, a Coke and a 9-millimeter.' "
Terry spoke to one gang leader who got his first gun from a drug addict, had just bought 27 guns an addict stole from a retired police officer's house, and regularly went to gun shows to buy and then resell at a substantial profit on the black market—a combination of the many ways guns are exchanged in the city."
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Th...
that article is right about just how bad Chicago is socially.

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#10439 May 6, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have to accuse Bush of anything.

What he actual did makes him the worst president in 80 years.
You known you were better off under him!!!

But as a typical Liberal you lie to your self cause that is what your Liberal media and Al Sharpen told you to think, and you comply!

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#10440 May 6, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that article is right about just how bad Chicago is socially.
The point being how and where these criminal element get their firearms.

Location hidden

#10441 May 6, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
The point being how and where these criminal element get their firearms.
I just wonder if that 1% is the Federal Government ATF's doing and is purposely allowing that 1% of licensed firearms dealers to sell weapons to illegal straw buyers in the Chicago Area just like ATF did down in the Tucson and Phoenix Arizona area and if they know about that 1% just like ATF knew and was behind what was going on in Tucson & Phoenix Arizona.

ATF gunwalking scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_s...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#10442 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I just wonder if that 1% is the Federal Government ATF's doing and is purposely allowing that 1% of licensed firearms dealers to sell weapons to illegal straw buyers in the Chicago Area
I wonder of you have ever had a cogent thought, AnalOriface.

Location hidden

#10443 May 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder of you have ever had a cogent thought, AnalOriface.
we all know here on Topix that you barefoot2626 the AnalOriface has never ever had a cogent thought and it permeates here on Topix in your post and why a majority of them are flagged as Spam, Clueless, Nuts & Disagree.

Location hidden

#10444 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>we all know
I am sure when you say "WE", AnalOriface, you speak for all of your aliases.

Location hidden

#10445 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
why a majority of them are flagged as Spam
Not even close, AnalOriface, but I do appreciate you following me around and taking the extra time to change your aliases to get that one more flag that not one person in the universe cares about.

Wipe your chin, Shug.

Location hidden

#10446 May 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure when you say "WE", AnalOriface, you speak for all of your aliases.
barefoot2626 the AnalOriface you prove over and over how wrong you are every time and if anybody has more than one aliases it is you for sure.

Location hidden

#10447 May 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close, AnalOriface, but I do appreciate you following me around and taking the extra time to change your aliases to get that one more flag that not one person in the universe cares about.
Wipe your chin, Shug.
Not even close barefoot2626 the AnalOriface and if anybody is following Topix posters here its you for sure by taking the extra time to change your aliases to get that one more flag that not one person in the universe cares about.

Wipe your chin, Barefool.

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#10448 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Modern Pseudo Liberals have ruined Chicago and they want to turn the whole United States into a society just like their Model City of Chicago where the criminals in Chicago Society thrive because of the Modern Pseudo Liberals restrictive gun laws that only law abiding citizens adhere to.

Strict Gun Laws in Chicago CanÂ’t Stem Fatal Shots

CHICAGO — Not a single gun shop can be found in this city because they are outlawed. Handguns were banned in Chicago for decades, too, until 2010, when the United States Supreme Court ruled that was going too far, leading city leaders to settle for restrictions some describe as the closest they could get legally to a ban without a ban. Despite a continuing legal fight, Illinois remains the only state in the nation with no provision to let private citizens carry guns in public.

And yet Chicago, a city with no civilian gun ranges and bans on both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, finds itself laboring to stem a flood of gun violence that contributed to more than 500 homicides last year and at least 40 killings already in 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/us/strict-c... ;
Redirection noted.
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10449 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Not even close barefoot2626 the AnalOriface and if anybody is following Topix posters here its you for sure by taking the extra time to change your aliases to get that one more flag that not one person in the universe cares about.
Wipe your chin, Barefool.
Barefoot is merely here to argue -- there is no substance behind his postings. Frankly, it's not worth the effort to reply -- you only feed into his mania.
I stopped contributing to his discourse. I have better things to do. I suggest we all stop contributing to his insanity, but then you might enjoy it. That's fine -- I don't.

Location hidden

#10450 May 7, 2013
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Barefoot is merely here to argue -- there is no substance behind his postings. Frankly, it's not worth the effort to reply -- you only feed into his mania.
I stopped contributing to his discourse. I have better things to do. I suggest we all stop contributing to his insanity, but then you might enjoy it. That's fine -- I don't.
I agree there is no substance behind barefoot2626 post which has been proven over & over again.

Location hidden

#10451 May 7, 2013
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Barefoot is merely here to argue --.
And that's why you are here, you dumbfq.

That is why everyone is here- unless you are trying to drum up your side business of pleasuring men out at the I5 interchange.

Location hidden

#10452 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I agree there is no substance behind barefoot2626 post which has been proven over & over again.
Funny how you can copy so much of my posts because you cannot even come up with your own content, AnalOriface.

You- and your other aliases- are here to argue with everyone else who is here.

You can pretend otherwise but I can hold you up as the m/f c/s liar you are- hold up for ridicule.

Wipe your chin, dear.

Location hidden

#10454 May 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how you can copy so much of my posts because you cannot even come up with your own content, AnalOriface.
You- and your other aliases- are here to argue with everyone else who is here.
You can pretend otherwise but I can hold you up as the m/f c/s liar you are- hold up for ridicule.
Wipe your chin, dear.
how dumb are you barefoot2626 the AnalOriface since Anals must be what you are into but the fact is there is never nothing to copy from post that have a facts besides just another spammer cluttering topix with post that contains your gay vulgar talk.

Location hidden

#10455 May 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you are going to have to study harder if you want to pass the English as a Second Language class, Taco.
I see you edit the quoted text again and wonder why you lost all credibility.
Lars Vilks

Euless, TX

#10456 May 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Looks like you are going to have to study harder if you want to pass the English as a Second Language class, Taco.
I love reading your comments. I can't believe someone as stupid as you is on here arguing. You've never made a point.

Location hidden

#10457 May 8, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>how dumb are you
bEST OF LUCK ON COMING UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL TO SAY, aNALoRIFACE.

Location hidden

#10458 May 8, 2013
Lars Vilks wrote:
<quoted text>
I love reading your comments. I can't believe someone as stupid as you is on here arguing.
Oh, Topix lowered the bar when you came in, Shug.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitt Romney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Romney to tell supporters his 2016 plans 1 hr Cordwainer Trout 20
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Can't Contain Excitement ... 2 hr Why OH Why Obama 71
Romney nixes '16 White House run 8 hr OId Sailor 1
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Flori... 8 hr Responsibility 2
Graham: 'I'm tired of just complaining' 8 hr Lawrence Wolf 26
A Better Cuba Deal 12 hr WE JUST DONT CARE 9
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 17 hr Here Is One 12,467
More from around the web