What the 2012 election taught us

Nov 6, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Washington Post

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Comments
4,701 - 4,720 of 10,324 Comments Last updated Oct 1, 2013

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>
Conservativism = freedom + personal responsibility.
Any other definition is incorrect!!!
Liberalism = hate this country + bigger government
Can you spot their fundamental contradiction?
Classical Liberalism vs. Modern Liberalism and Modern Conservatism

In the history of politics, there is only one fundamental, abiding issue: It is individualism vs. collectivism. Do individuals have the right to pursue their own happiness, as Thomas Jefferson thought and as the Declaration of Independence deemed self-evident? Or do we have an obligation to live our lives for the community or the state, as most societies have claimed throughout most of history?

Yet if this is the paramount political issue, why is it not forthrightly debated in presidential elections and in other contests for public office? The reason is that American political debates tend to be dominated by modern liberalism and modern conservatism — approaches to politics that are properly called “sociologies” rather than “ideologies.”

Modern liberalism is not completely collectivist; nor is it completely individualistic. It has elements of both doctrines. The same is true of conservatism. Neither view provides a coherent approach to politics, built up from first principles. Instead, they both reflect a process that is akin to picking items from a dinner menu. What is chosen is a matter of taste rather than a matter of thought. Just as people with similar tastes in food tend to frequent the same restaurants, people with the same tastes in politics tend to vote for the same candidates.

What that leaves us with are candidates, platforms and political parties whose ideas are inconsistent and often incoherent. The thoughtful voter may sometimes vote for the conservative, sometimes for the liberal and sometimes just abstain.

The classical liberal perspective will not solve this problem, but it will help us better understand it.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/classical-liberalism-...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>
"Besides, OPEC controls gas prices...The president has little control of what OPEC sets their prices to."
Stupid hypocrite liberals, that is not what you said when Bush was in power, retarded!!!
Can you answer this, I dare you: why was your liberal media interviewing motorists on the pain and suffering at the gas stations when gas was $2.00?
But none to be seen when gas is $4.00 under Obama!
That little fact alone proves beyond any doubt that liberals are hypocrites and wrong and conservatives are the real adults in America.
lol! WTH are you talking about,son?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
About 55 million Americans are registered Republicans.
About 72 million are registered Democrats.
About 42 million are registered as independents.
Last month about 65 million people voted for Obama, 61 million for Romney. Do the math. Then keep telling yourself how many conservatives/republicans are "dying off..
lol! Again, WTH are you rambling about son?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>those are todays Pseudo Version of Liberalism & Conservatism and People are catching on how they are twisting the real meaning of the words.
lol! It's clear who paints the "us versus them" picture isn't it?

“Ignore the trolls”

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
armed forces work, and many of them make enough money to pay taxes silly....are you aware of the pay scale in the military these days? it aint half bad. But when the dems cut the military, and they will, then the soldiers that are released will certainly then fall into the 47%, as there are no jobs for them to take, once they are dropped from the military.
That's the point, most of the 47% work - but certain Republican supporters keep chucking that figure around as if it represented the unemploeyed. You have just done that very thing.$7% receive some form of federal aid, and that includes the military (in their case, housing). Was trying not to have to spell it out again, but you just don't get it.

“Ignore the trolls”

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Bums, early morning fingers - 47% not $7%.

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>Who's lost!?

"Anybody notice that gas is still around $3.50-$4.00/gallon? Or have we completely forgotten that it was around $2.00 when Lord *took* office?"

"WHEN OBAMA (Lord) TOOK OFFICE" Not when he WAS ELECTED.

http://www.topix.com/forum/us/politics/TRBM27...
Reading for comprehensive understanding has escaped you.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>over $4.20

The record high was during Bush administration.

Still.
I'm baffled by the amount of denial by the sheep...On second thought, no I'm not.

Fkn Amazing.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>WRONG.

It was lowest just BEFORE. Been an UPHILL climb since then.
Gas is high now, sure.

State your sources for being lower during Bush.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>Ever heard of KEYSTONE? It's a NORTHERN AMERICA continental thing.
Pipeline???

My God...That lowers gas about 2 cents a gallon.

Do some research before you post.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>"Besides, OPEC controls gas prices...The president has little control of what OPEC sets their prices to."

Stupid hypocrite liberals, that is not what you said when Bush was in power, retarded!!!

Can you answer this, I dare you: why was your liberal media interviewing motorists on the pain and suffering at the gas stations when gas was $2.00?

But none to be seen when gas is $4.00 under Obama!

That little fact alone proves beyond any doubt that liberals are hypocrites and wrong and conservatives are the real adults in America.
I said the same thing with Bush.

Your labels and rant are moot.

Brooklyn, New York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>You DID blame Bush.

And you know it and we know how idiot you were and still are for blaming him!!!

You did and your whole liberal machine did!!!

You know they did and you agreed because it was a Republican but the next Republican you will quickly blame him for high gas prices too.

You guys do not fool us any more!
Xanax should level you out a bit...

Wow.

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

so obama has invited a singer to perform who sang about killing american soldiers not long ago....good, or bad?
gossamer

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like how the conservative plan of the last decade failed, yet conservatives want to bring it back?
Capitalism is not a failure. It is what our country was founded on. Its the failures that what to change the game.

The government is to blame for things not working. Stay out of the housing market.

“or Fox News”

Since: Jan 08

Vicksburg, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

inbred Genius wrote:
so obama has invited a singer to perform who sang about killing american soldiers not long ago....good, or bad?
Who cares? I'm just wanting to see the President and the First Lady dance Gangman Style.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! WTH are you talking about,son?
I wouldn't expect a simpleton like you to understand the simplest of math.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>It's clear who paints the "us versus them" picture isn't it?
Yes, your president has made it the focus of his entire campaign.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>
Pipeline???
My God...That lowers gas about 2 cents a gallon.
Do some research before you post.
Hmm, let me guess your research source..." Obama.com ?"
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't expect a simpleton like you to understand the simplest of math.
lol! And I wouldn't expect an idiot like you to be able to explain it son!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, your president has made it the focus of his entire campaign.
lol! Then you should leave son.

To a country and president YOU support!

Make yourself happy instead of miserable. Good idea, don't you think?(don't answer that... it was rhetorical!)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••