Dems: We are better off than four yea...

Dems: We are better off than four years ago

There are 3586 comments on the Albany Times Union story from Sep 3, 2012, titled Dems: We are better off than four years ago. In it, Albany Times Union reports that:

Expect to hear variations on this theme all week: things are better than they were four years ago, and will get better.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Albany Times Union.

xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2832 Oct 6, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text>Me too...remember the Hot Fudge Sundaes in tulip glasses?.....Or walking into Kressges or Woolworth and smelling the cashews under the heatlamps?
For me, my weakness was Sears. They used to have that pop corn machine by the door with cotton candy and candy apples. My mother used to make sure we ate good at home so we didn't bother her as much when we got to the store. LOL!

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#2833 Oct 6, 2012
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>You can lay all of that at the feet of the teachers unions and the LIBS!
No, not completely. Parents are ultimately responsible for their children's education. The libs, however, handed us pop culture, among other things. "If it feels good, do it" mentality. Have fun now, live the moment. Somehow strong families, work ethic, responsibility etc got lost.

I don't know how 1/3 of the population can fare when they can't even graduate from HS. I don't know how the rest of the population can be expected to carry them along.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2834 Oct 6, 2012
Here in Vegas wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not completely. Parents are ultimately responsible for their children's education. The libs, however, handed us pop culture, among other things. "If it feels good, do it" mentality. Have fun now, live the moment. Somehow strong families, work ethic, responsibility etc got lost.
I don't know how 1/3 of the population can fare when they can't even graduate from HS. I don't know how the rest of the population can be expected to carry them along.
It's worse than you think. I'm a landlord in a very diverse community. In effort to avoid the state trying to corner me for some sort of discrimination charge, I advertise my apartments on Craigs List. My applicants respond through e-mail.

The replies I receive are scary. Many of these adults don't have the writing skills of a fourth grader. Some are so bad that you think they came from foreigners struggling to fight the English language. If I decide to contact them and have an interview, I often bring up education; not because it's part of my interviewing process, but because of my curiosity.

They usually respond by saying "I graduated from X school three years ago." "I'm in my first year of community college."

How does one go through primary education right through graduation when they can't even write a simple letter? How do they get into these community colleges with such a weak command of the English language, comprehension skills and grammar? WTF is going on in our country?

In effort to pass minority students, our union schools push them through the system. It seems there is no holding students back because they lack the ability to proceed to the next level of education. When they reach that next level, they are more confused than the previous level because they don't have the knowledge to understand what they are being taught.

Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#2835 Oct 6, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's worse than you think. I'm a landlord in a very diverse community. In effort to avoid the state trying to corner me for some sort of discrimination charge, I advertise my apartments on Craigs List. My applicants respond through e-mail.
The replies I receive are scary. Many of these adults don't have the writing skills of a fourth grader. Some are so bad that you think they came from foreigners struggling to fight the English language. If I decide to contact them and have an interview, I often bring up education; not because it's part of my interviewing process, but because of my curiosity.
They usually respond by saying "I graduated from X school three years ago." "I'm in my first year of community college."
How does one go through primary education right through graduation when they can't even write a simple letter? How do they get into these community colleges with such a weak command of the English language, comprehension skills and grammar? WTF is going on in our country?
In effort to pass minority students, our union schools push them through the system. It seems there is no holding students back because they lack the ability to proceed to the next level of education. When they reach that next level, they are more confused than the previous level because they don't have the knowledge to understand what they are being taught.
Love stereotypes, it proves you're stupid and unable to judge independently...Funny, you're the same moron, who doesn't want to pay back seniors, for their SSI and Medicare taxes....
Brad

Manchester, CT

#2836 Oct 6, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
They push the violent ones through as well.
Try to discipline a kid and the parents are right there to sue the system that coddles them.
How do you win when 1 disruptive kid holds an entire class of 30 hostage all year?

Las Vegas, NV

#2837 Oct 6, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Clark County School District's 67% graduation rate this year was up 6% from last year. CCSD is the 5th largest district in the country BTW. Our son's zoned HS graduated 211 of 650. How long can a society survive like that?

And you have to skirt the system to protect your interests. It's your property. Rent to however you want to. Besides, how can anyone prove you discriminate? Can they read your mind?

And the libs think this is all cool. You are racist otherwise.

Las Vegas, NV

#2838 Oct 6, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to discipline a kid and the parents are right there to sue the system that coddles them.
How do you win when 1 disruptive kid holds an entire class of 30 hostage all year?
Thank God our school district operates "prison schools" They are full. Unfortunately the part time criminals aren't eligible.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#2840 Oct 6, 2012
It's sign you're old, you violated the rules too, hypocrite...
Slew Theme Song

Minneapolis, MN

#2841 Oct 6, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
It's sign you're old, you violated the rules too, hypocrite...
Another Saturday nigt and I ain't got nobody
I got no money cuz I got no job
How I wish I had someone to talk to
I'm in awful mess
I blew in town 40 years ago, I ain't seen a lotta girls since then
If I could find'em I could get'em but as yet I have'nt met'em
That's why I'm in the shape I'm in ohhhh

Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody
I'm in awful mess
Another fella told me he had a sister that looked so fine
Instead of being my deliverance, she had a strong resemblance
To a cat named Frankenstein ohhhh....

I'm in awful mess
It's hard for a fella, when he don't know his way around
If I can't find me a honey to help me spend her money
I'm gonna have to blow this town ohhh....

Im in awful mess
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#2842 Oct 6, 2012
Poor poetry, rhythm, and really badly done....

I give you 2 soaps on a rope, dope ! LMAOROTFu~!

Yo want to give POLITICAL ADVICE ??? Come on !!
Slew Theme Song

Minneapolis, MN

#2845 Oct 6, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
Poor poetry, rhythm, and really badly done....
I give you 2 soaps on a rope, dope ! LMAOROTFu~!
Yo want to give POLITICAL ADVICE ??? Come on !!
Yo? Next time, for your information, it is spelled y-o-u. There, now you can pretend you graduated from grade school. Maybe you can impress the women with your brains. NOT!
Yo dumb dude

Kent, WA

#2846 Oct 6, 2012
It's not OK to pretend you are tough... like you do, IrassLiar.... Just be sure, you never show your face at ANY DOJO, so no one finds out what a sissy you really are.

You don't need to show up, it wouldn't be a fair match... unless you found a man to bring...

As for the serenade, calling me honey and acting gay suits you bois.... Too bad, you can't get any action, at all !! LMAOROTFU~!
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#2847 Oct 7, 2012
Here in Vegas wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you, actually blaming the democrats for the Beatles here?.....When did your logic go off the rails of reality?
Toidi Slayer

Saint Paul, MN

#2849 Oct 7, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a teacher or a spouse of one. They are the only ones that you hear this from. No administrator will admit to it. I know of teachers bypassing the school and calling the police themselves in extreme cases because the school won't do anything.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2850 Oct 7, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text>Love stereotypes, it proves you're stupid and unable to judge independently...Funny, you're the same moron, who doesn't want to pay back seniors, for their SSI and Medicare taxes....
I can always depend on a response from the ignorant left to make my point. Get some Windex out and clean off those rose colored glasses of yours.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2851 Oct 7, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
True. In our local topix discussion, we are debating a story of a 16 year old girl who lost her life in a fight with another 16 year old girl now sitting in jail. One guy who I discuss issues with all the time is trying to blame it on a possible medical condition. I responded that back in my day, girls didn't fight. They acted like ladies and were treated as such. When I was a kid, nobody ever died from a fight medical condition of not.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/maple-heights...
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2852 Oct 7, 2012
Here in Vegas wrote:
<quoted text>
Clark County School District's 67% graduation rate this year was up 6% from last year. CCSD is the 5th largest district in the country BTW. Our son's zoned HS graduated 211 of 650. How long can a society survive like that?
And you have to skirt the system to protect your interests. It's your property. Rent to however you want to. Besides, how can anyone prove you discriminate? Can they read your mind?
And the libs think this is all cool. You are racist otherwise.
I've had the state come after me a couple of times. That's why I no longer put For Rent signs out on the front lawn. They send their agents out acting as if they are interested prospects when all they are doing is looking for a reason to bring discrimination charges against you.

We had one landlord here in Cleveland who was fined $12,000 for refusing pets in his apartment. A guy called for the apartment saying he had depression and needed his dog, and the landlord said he was not interested in renting to a person with pets as the ad clearly states. A woman called stating she needed her car for something or another, and again, he refused. The state sent him two $6,000 fines for medical discrimination because those two people were state agents with some made up BS story.

He contacted his lawyer who said he stood a more than better chance on winning the case, but he advised just to pay the fines because it would cost him twice as much to fight the charges. The fight would take place in the state capital of Columbus which is about a hundred miles south of Cleveland.

Good thing I heard the story on the radio, because a few years later, the state tried pulling that same stunt on me. I told the guy on the phone that if he wanted to bring his dog with him because of a so-called medical disability, then I need a note from a doctor and apartment insurance to cover any possible damage by his pet. He never called back, LOL!

It's just a damn shame we have to live like this thanks to government.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2853 Oct 7, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text>Are you, actually blaming the democrats for the Beatles here?.....When did your logic go off the rails of reality?
What party sticks up and supports their union friends good or bad? What party fought tooth and nail to stop the school voucher program? If these kids--particularly minorities--can't even write a coherent response for an apartment, how are they going to fill out an application for a job??? Who is it passing these kids through school and graduating them before they even know what a comma or period is? The Republicans?
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#2854 Oct 7, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
What party sticks up and supports their union friends good or bad? What party fought tooth and nail to stop the school voucher program? If these kids--particularly minorities--can't even write a coherent response for an apartment, how are they going to fill out an application for a job??? Who is it passing these kids through school and graduating them before they even know what a comma or period is? The Republicans?
Why on earth, would you ever respond, to a post not directed to you....and in a manner, that has nothing to do with the conversation? Please explain your bad manners?
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#2855 Oct 7, 2012
"If these kids--particularly minorities--can't even write a coherent response for an apartment"

Love your rhetoric, especially renting to "kids", calling ALL minorities dumb, and forgetting computers do spell check, punctuation is coming...

Ps- Funny how corporate America teaches nothing, has no jobs, has ALL the money, but NEEDS a tax break, right rhetoric rambler ???

Pps- Sorry YOUR kids are dumb, seems it's the parent's fault, but you NEED to blame government, to have a point ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitt Romney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mitt Romney: My son emailed me yesterday tellin... 18 hr Cordwainer Trout 2
News Clinton, Obama reschedule first 2016 appearance 20 hr Nu Wor Order 5
News Welcome to the Ultimate Hold-Your-Nose Election Wed Opposite of Freedom 33
News Egypt's Mubarak gets life in prison (Jun '12) Tue Malikis Billions 12
News Finland: Israel warns of action against Gaza ship (Oct '12) Tue Mubaraks Billions 17
News Billionaire Soros giving $2M to Democratic groups (May '12) Tue African Billionaire 15
News Isaac Lee: Trump has 'gone too far' to regain H... Mon WasteWater 1
More from around the web