In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51425 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#13637 Jun 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dude, hang on there just one frigging minute.
Who you calling fat?
Them's fighting words.
We're gonna have to fix a squarin' off place, you and me.
Capisce?
(And I don't have to worry abut you bringing friends along, eh?)
You can't see me, but I've got your back.
And a good rifle.
Just to keep it fair.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#13639 Jun 3, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>You do address a serious problem with christianity here and why I do not discourage atheists from being anti-christian. Personally I can see that there are some decent christians, but when there is a great threat from the zealots I cannot see any reason to remind the anti-christian people that they exist. If the good christians want to be the example, they have to silence the dangerous ones or we will have little reason to consider that there is a difference between them.

In another thread a christian just posted a veiled threat, not a surprise bu an example supporting your notion that the religion itself is a danger.

http://www.topix.com/forum/us/TFVG6J3B76B8GT9...
Why do links to specific posts never bring me to the specific post?

The Borderland of Sol

#13640 Jun 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to spend some time with a jarhead DI before you're fully qualified in Kaitlin's "artful" use of the English language.
:D
One is quite fond of Kait.

One used to be a seaman.

The Borderland of Sol

#13641 Jun 3, 2012
*awaiting the inevitable*

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#13642 Jun 3, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You can't see me, but I've got your back.
You're own his back and hanging on to his belt for dear life.

More power to ya! Be safe!

Location hidden

#13643 Jun 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to spend some time with a jarhead DI
They don't use such language or they would be in the brig and drummed out of the service.

Something else you don't know about, Chipmunk.

The Borderland of Sol

#13644 Jun 3, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't have to.
Start with the Rape of Nanking & get back to me.
From wiki (posted for expediency)
(quote)
The International Military Tribunal for the Far East estimated that 20,000 women were raped, including infants and the elderly.[40] A large portion of these rapes were systematized in a process where soldiers would search door-to-door for young girls, with many women taken captive and gang raped.[41] The women were often killed immediately after being raped, often through explicit mutilation[42] or by stabbing a bayonet, long stick of bamboo,[43] or other objects into the vagina. Young children were not exempt from these atrocities, and were cut open to allow Japanese soldiers to rape them.
Thank you, I'm familiar with the Nanjin Jikun.

Accounted for perhaps 200,000 fatalities.

An utter atrocity, but still not "millions".

What was your point again?

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#13645 Jun 3, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't use such language or they would be in the brig and drummed out of the service.
Something else you don't know about, Chipmunk.
None of my Drill Sergeants were ever sent anywhere and they were quite proficient in the art of cuss and slang. Every last one of them. Even the cross wearers.

You fuggin putz.
JEB

United States

#13646 Jun 3, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't have to.
Start with the Rape of Nanking & get back to me.
From wiki (posted for expediency)
(quote)
The International Military Tribunal for the Far East estimated that 20,000 women were raped, including infants and the elderly.[40] A large portion of these rapes were systematized in a process where soldiers would search door-to-door for young girls, with many women taken captive and gang raped.[41] The women were often killed immediately after being raped, often through explicit mutilation[42] or by stabbing a bayonet, long stick of bamboo,[43] or other objects into the vagina. Young children were not exempt from these atrocities, and were cut open to allow Japanese soldiers to rape them.
Napalm from the air accomplishes the same deaths without as much comment?

Location hidden

#13647 Jun 3, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you, I'm familiar with the Nanjin Jikun.
Accounted for perhaps 200,000 fatalities.
One place among many, darling.

In six weeks time.

Here is a source that puts it a 4 million... in China... alone...

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/NOTE2.HTM

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#13648 Jun 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, some of the Christians here have threatened to break into my house, rape me, kill me, etc. I think on three occasions now - one suggested he was friends with the Mafia.

All I can say is that they're cowards, pure and simple. If you can think for yourself and have a hate-filled belief system, I guess threatening people is the next logical step.
I'm feeling inadequate.

I haven't gotten a good ol' Christian threat in a long time.
JEB

United States

#13649 Jun 3, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
One place among many, darling.
In six weeks time.
Here is a source that puts it a 4 million... in China... alone...
http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/NOTE2.HTM
Little Doubt that Japan was imperialistic in 1930s and 1940s.
Mao may have killed over 50 million in his time.

is your point related to religious motivation?

Location hidden

#13650 Jun 3, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
None of my Drill Sergeants were ever sent anywhere and they were quite proficient in the art of cuss and slang.
Cuss and slang isn't want is being dished out Putz. And it is not unknown for DI's to get convicted, demoted, and booted out for using what the UCMJ determines to be 'indecent language' when directed at recruits.

And what the DoD determines to be 'indecent language' is tougher now than it used to be.

PS: It's pretty hard to get banned from Topix, one really has to work at it. Putting aside he pulled the pin first and clearly wasn't able to handle it flung back into his face.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#13651 Jun 3, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm feeling inadequate.
.. my dear Big Dick, you're not inadequate ..

Location hidden

#13652 Jun 3, 2012
JEB wrote:
<quoted text>
Little Doubt that Japan was imperialistic in 1930s and 1940s.
Mao may have killed over 50 million in his time.
Mao could have killed a billion.

So what?

I said Japan killed millions.

And was contradicted.

I say again: Japan killed millions.

Do follow the thread.

Since: Apr 08

Corby, UK

#13653 Jun 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like lots of fat, it's great :) Beer fed, massaged cows, they think they have such a great life...until the surprise ending!
It's scarily like those stories where the natives would make someone king for a year and a day. But true for the cows!
Yes, it's not so good for the pampered cows.

A couple of people (including a chef who really knows his food) tell me it's a tad overrated but I still want to try it.

Corby, UK

#13654 Jun 3, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I had Kobe beef precisely once.
Near as I get to a religious experience, apart from Nymph.
Seven years ago a Kobe hamburger would set you back 55

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/apr/12/food...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#13655 Jun 3, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I never met an Atheist I liked.
I have two friends who are atheists and although they can be crude at times I've counterbalanced that with the fact that my other two best friends are both Christian and have said things that could make a soldier blush. Until I met them I didn't know that girls could be so naughty. You can not mention religion around my atheist friends AT ALL without them instantly getting on the defensive so it no longer enters our discussions. The Christian ones never bring up the subject of atheism since they don't think it affects their lives in any way. I think they are in for a rude awakening soon.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#13656 Jun 3, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cuss and slang isn't want is being dished out Putz. And it is not unknown for DI's to get convicted, demoted, and booted out for using what the UCMJ determines to be 'indecent language' when directed at recruits.
And what the DoD determines to be 'indecent language' is tougher now than it used to be.
PS: It's pretty hard to get banned from Topix, one really has to work at it. Putting aside he pulled the pin first and clearly wasn't able to handle it flung back into his face.
Hold on, you said it they don't use such language or they'd get booted out. Let's look
barefoot2626 wrote:
Backpedaling is okay.

Corby, UK

#13657 Jun 3, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Cite the Codex Sinaiticus.
Fundies hate when you do that.
You're right - they can't handle that one.

The Codex Sinaiticus goes back about 1600 years and contains the earliest known complete version of the New Testament.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/

It's interesting that he Codex makes no reference to the much-loved fable of Jesus and the prostitute; where he asks that the person without sin cast the first stone. That particular lie wasn't thought up until some years later when it was inserted into the Gospels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitt Romney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 2 hr Tm Cln 3,632
News Romney hailing US-Polish ties in visit to Warsaw (Jul '12) Wed Tm Cln 22
News Race and Beyond: Let's Talk About Race and Poverty (Oct '12) Apr 25 Human 190
News Shock poll: 46% of Mississippi GOP would vote t... (Apr '11) Apr 25 Jake Steed 284
News Romneyites Think the 47% Are Parasites (Oct '12) Apr 24 Trumpenstien Poli... 72
News Wife-Abandonment: a Gop Nominee Tradition (Dec '11) Apr 22 Slick Wiener Oreilly 6
News Mitt Romney ripped Donald Trump's 'hurtful' com... (Oct '15) Apr 22 Trail of Indian T... 41
More from around the web