In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 50963 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#4955 May 2, 2012

Nunya

#4956 May 2, 2012
HTS wrote:
R.C. Lewontin, a prominent evolutionary biologist, eloquently admitted this rigid materialism adhered to by proponents of Darwinism at the expense of objectivity:
"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.”
" (Lewontin R.C., "Billions and Billions of Demons", Review of "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark," by Carl Sagan, New York Review, January 9, 1997.
In other words, atheism comes first, followed by acceptance of evolution.
In his book The Greatest Show on Earth, Richard Dawkins jokingly suggested that you could create a Quote Mining Index (QMI) by calculating the ratio of the number of times a quote is mined versus the number of times it is quoted in full. For example, his quote,

“ It is as though they were just planted there, without any evolutionary history.”

returns 1,250 hits on Google. Whilst the next sentence:

“ Evolutionists of all stripes believe, however, that this does not represent a very large gap in the fossil record.”

receives only 63 hits. That is 19.8 quote mines to every "legitimate" use of the quote, or a QMI of 19.8.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quote_mining

Cpt Jack Sparrow

“.strike yer colors swab ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4957 May 2, 2012
Aho Super Christian I helped put an end to Christian domination and influence amoung My people an enjoyed doing it, When they came after Me an told Me I would act according to Christian dictates and cease traditional practices you pricks hate I showed them different. I never believed thier lieing propaganda or thier presumption of divine right, they claimed some jew God was on thier side I told Em the Devil was on Mine. before it was over they were convinced. Never been a Communist but they make fine Allies the enemy of My enemy being My friend (temporarily) I did it because of past wrongs, personal vengence and the $ money $ I will not be dominated by this murderous Eurotrash cult nor should anyone else. I wasn't back there in the old days to fight the Genocide but in My time I defeated the Bastards matched wits with the Klan (thier Kinda stupid )an other Christian enforcement groups brought in with thier own dirty methods tit for tat, repudiated thier boasts of superiority. in Me you find an Enemy who will not Be Conqured. ye came at me like a roaring lion an I sent Em back as neuitered [email protected](even swindled one religitard in a land deal HehHehHeh) I'm a terrible braggert cause I like to remind ye of the "Facts" an since there are still a few sore asses who'd like to backshoot Me I ain't gettin into specifics. I,m the real deal a proud modern day "Native American" Warriour an your a Key board Blow hard. Do you have any other White suppremacist outbursts Christian lies or hot air to vent ,Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Enforced atheist governments abound in the Communist and pagan worlds. Yesterday, the atheist government of North Korea issued a statement including the following...
"The special actions of our revolutionary armed forces will start soon to meet the reckless challenge of the group of traitors…. They will reduce all the rat-like groups and the bases for provocations to ashes in three or four minutes, in much shorter time, by unprecedented peculiar means and methods of our own style."
That sounds very much like some of the atheists posting here and exactly like the atheists murdering more people in the last century than all religious wars in human history combined. It also sounds like the logic and inhumanity of the atheists rioting in the streets of Seattle on May Day. Whether insulting, or murdering Christians, atheist politic speaks for itself.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#4958 May 3, 2012
HTS wrote:
<PARODY TEXT>
Try explaining this....

Ingredients
2 cups fat-free milk
1 small (4-serving) package sugar-free fat-free instant vanilla pudding mix
24 reduced-fat vanilla round wafer cookies (recommended: Reduced Fat Nilla)
2 medium bananas, sliced
Fat-free whipped topping (thawed from frozen), optional
Directions
Combine milk with pudding mix in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer or a whisk for 2 minutes, or until thoroughly blended. Set aside.

In a 9-inch square baking pan, arrange a layer of wafers, flat sides down, and then top with a layer of banana slices. Continue alternating layers until all of the wafers and banana slices are in the dish.

Top the dish with the pudding and let it seep down in between the wafer and banana layers. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. If desired, add whipped topping before serving.

PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe, about 1/2 cup): 137 calories, 1.5g fat, 299mg sodium, 29g carbs, 1g fiber, 15g sugars, 4g protein

BANANA PUDDING RECIPE = MY GOD IS REAL!
Thanks, HTS(parody).

Still no proof for your deity I see.

Cpt Jack Sparrow

Location hidden

#4959 May 3, 2012
I got a couple of Russian friends former Spetznatz Who are in the used furniture business
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No but they are related to me.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#4960 May 3, 2012
Point of the article, they are coming out faster than the gay people are now, which will in turn, hopefully, empower all other hidden minorities to step out of hiding and speak up. The internet, where religions come to die, slain by science, reason, logic, and the empowerment of the youth to finally stand up to their abusive religious parents who frighten them into believing.

Nunya

#4961 May 3, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Aho Super Christian I helped put an end to Christian domination and influence amoung My people an enjoyed doing it, When they came after Me an told Me I would act according to Christian dictates and cease traditional practices you pricks hate I showed them different. I never believed thier lieing propaganda or thier presumption of divine right, they claimed some jew God was on thier side I told Em the Devil was on Mine. before it was over they were convinced. Never been a Communist but they make fine Allies the enemy of My enemy being My friend (temporarily) I did it because of past wrongs, personal vengence and the $ money $ I will not be dominated by this murderous Eurotrash cult nor should anyone else. I wasn't back there in the old days to fight the Genocide but in My time I defeated the Bastards matched wits with the Klan (thier Kinda stupid )an other Christian enforcement groups brought in with thier own dirty methods tit for tat, repudiated thier boasts of superiority. in Me you find an Enemy who will not Be Conqured. ye came at me like a roaring lion an I sent Em back as neuitered [email protected](even swindled one religitard in a land deal HehHehHeh) I'm a terrible braggert cause I like to remind ye of the "Facts" an since there are still a few sore asses who'd like to backshoot Me I ain't gettin into specifics. I,m the real deal a proud modern day "Native American" Warriour an your a Key board Blow hard. Do you have any other White suppremacist outbursts Christian lies or hot air to vent ,Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ! <quoted text>
Aho Cpt!(giving my best lip point)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#4962 May 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Prior to Western science, religion and medicine were hand in hand.
And perhaps for a while longer as well. I have a medical book from the 1930's, where, in the section on subacute bacterial endocarditis, under treatment, only two are offered: prayer, and to hope for a misdiagnosis. Seriously.

Cpt Jack Sparrow

Location hidden

#4963 May 3, 2012
Thanks!
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Aho Cpt!(giving my best lip point)

Nunya

#4964 May 3, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And perhaps for a while longer as well. I have a medical book from the 1930's, where, in the section on subacute bacterial endocarditis, under treatment, only two are offered: prayer, and to hope for a misdiagnosis. Seriously.
I heard Doctors used to prescribe smoking for asthmatics because it made them cough.

Nunya

#4965 May 3, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Thanks!<quoted text>
How's it going my native bro?

Fennario

#4966 May 3, 2012
HTS wrote:
You look at the complexity of the genetic code and deny the improbabilty of it forming simply because its there and you have accepted that evoluiton produced it.
The probability of something occurring that has already happened is 100%. If there is a god, then the god might have had something to do with it. If there is no god, then it must have happened without one. And the earnest and fervent pleas spawned from your need that there be a god notwithstanding, the naturalistic explanation has not only not been ruled out, it's the only one that has profited man. The religious concept has just held us back.

Easy peasy.

The genetic code is simple, not complex. Twenty amino acids and some punctuation are represented by 64 codons. There's the code, Captain Marvel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_code#RNA...

Maybe you meant the complexity of the genome rather than its code. Even so, it doesn't look complex to me, just long.

What seems complicated to me is the way it is regulated - read and expressed.

Fennario

#4967 May 3, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, i thought that a recent study showed that other religions had even higher rates of sexual abuse by their clergy than the catholics.
even more disturbing... those great christian values and morals...
That's a little surprising. I've assumed that the Catholics were the leaders by a ton for two reasons: the force celibacy, and thereby create situational pedophiles.

Plus, they attract them into the priesthood. The Catholic church supplies boys in dresses predisposed to both trust the priest, and if needed, to fear him. If he's discovered, the church will buy off the boys silence if it can. If necessary, they will relocate a priest to a new parish, where he can start fresh - unimpeded by scandal.

And if the priest should somehow ever come to be investigated by the police, the Catholic church will stonewall the investigation, pay for any necessary legal defense, pay any judgment, and possibly even give the priest political asylum in the Vatican.

How could anybody who wants to be a pedophile resist that? And who can compete with that, and abuse more children than those guys? The Lutherans? The Hindus? Maybe the Mormons. But at least they marry their children before boffing them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#4968 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>
The probability of something occurring that has already happened is 100%. If there is a god, then the god might have had something to do with it. If there is no god, then it must have happened without one. And the earnest and fervent pleas spawned from your need that there be a god notwithstanding, the naturalistic explanation has not only not been ruled out, it's the only one that has profited man. The religious concept has just held us back.
Easy peasy.
The genetic code is simple, not complex. Twenty amino acids and some punctuation are represented by 64 codons. There's the code, Captain Marvel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_code#RNA...
Maybe you meant the complexity of the genome rather than its code. Even so, it doesn't look complex to me, just long.
Mapping the genome is merely a matter of tedium and lack of storage space for more information than a few without using an extravagant budget. With the variety of species and traits available for study, it's not that complex. Us programmers understand the complex algorithms and binary operations of a computer, same thing just a lot fewer points to process.

Fennario

#4969 May 3, 2012
Crooked Liberal Media wrote:
atheists are the pillars of society - BIG EYE ROLE...
Thanks.

Are you up for a part like The Eye of Sauron?
HTS

Mandan, ND

#4970 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>
Easy peasy.
You are essentially saying that "man is, therefore he evolved"... That is abject stupidity.
It is equally stupid to say that the genetic code is simple. If you think it is, try writing a code for a whale.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#4971 May 3, 2012
HATE wrote:
<quoted text>
Who or what created your god then...I mean if life here is to advanced to happen by evolution....then something as advanced as your god must have a creator then also...
hahaha, that's really funny!

No kidding!

Maybe God is the only product of evolution in the Creationist's mind?
HATE

Owatonna, MN

#4972 May 3, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are essentially saying that "man is, therefore he evolved"... That is abject stupidity.
It is equally stupid to say that the genetic code is simple. If you think it is, try writing a code for a whale.
Who created god?????? I mean if your saying the basic things on earth could not have happened without a god figure....Then the god figure must be really complecated and MUST NEED A CREATOR ALSO.......SO WHO CREATED GOD??? Dont say he just always was......If you do that you take all you have said and made it a lie...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#4973 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>
Easy peasy.
It still comes down to HTS making an argument from incredulity...

"It's all so complex. I don't understand. Therefore, must be Goddidit."

As has been pointed out, this is just a combination of intellectual laziness and intellectual cowardice. They are unwilling to make the mental effort to understand what is really going on, and they are afraid to question their own beliefs.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#4974 May 3, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>No... There is no law of science that allows for random molecular interactions to produce a functional genetic code. This is the fundamental problem with Darwinism... It is not a minor detail.
How many times does Polymath have to tell you that molecules have properties? They follow patterns we call "laws."

Evolutionary changes to the genetic code are not random. Stop making dishonest straw men.

The only flaw here is your inability to understand and your constant misrepresentation of science. It'd be nice if you were less dishonest.
I thought you considered yourself a scientist. You should be familiar with the logical fallacy of the false alternative.
Oh, the one you constantly invoke? How you express your ignorance and then say "therefore God did everything"?

That fallacy?
You cannot attempt to disprove God and thereby prove evolution.
Evolution is real. That your particular religion can't deal with reality tells us a lot about how people work. You've been encultured into seeing the world a certain way and, apparently, it keeps you from understanding science.

So, in my opinion, evolution and anthropology prove your deity - and every other deity - wrong. There's a lot of reasons. Of course, it's not proof, it's just a conclusion resting on every piece of evidence we have.

But you're free to tell us more religious nonsense.
HFY... You're loosing the argument by leaps and bounds, and you know it. Your attempts to justify your atheistic religion with science are futile. You can keep trying to put up smokescreens and pretend to sound educated, but the fallacy of all of your logic is self-evident. Every time I propose an insurmountable obstacle to evolution you attack my credentials and ridicule God.
Actually I laugh at you for believing Creationist websites are science. That's pretty funny.

I especially loved your pathetic plea "but if I post links to creationist info, you'll just make fun of me!"

Yes, yes I will. If you can't tell the difference between your religion and science, that's shocking.
Contrary to what you state, atheism is not neutral disbelief... It is denial of irrefutable evidence...
Here you go spouting your religion again.

What irrefutable evidence? You've never posted any. All believers "know" their religion is the one true one - it's not surprising that you make the same mistake with your crazy religion.

Look at you - you sit here telling us how science works and never reference science! Not once!

I reference science all the time and your lame comeback was "if you haven't read all science papers, you can't use any."

While you, since you don't read any science journals, can feel free to ignore them all and just make up whatever in your head?

Yes, you are a target of my laughter. Your double standards and idiocy are legendary.
A rejection of the massive evidence of God. It is obvious that you have chosen to be an atheist and have then grid to manipulate science to fit to your predetermined worldview. It isn't working.
What evidence?

That fish have colors? hahahaha!

That you can't understand evolution - that's evidence for your deity?

That I don't know the exact evolutionary changes to species that have never been fully sequenced before - that's evidence for your deity?

Only a deity of ignorance and deceitful behavior!

Your ignorance and dishonesty:

- always misrepresent the theory of evolution
- you demand answers to nonsensical questions (that make no sense from a biological science point of view)
- you make ridiculous claims about math like "improbable events can't happen"
- you get the math all wrong
- no matter how many times you're told something, you repeat the same nonsense
- you constantly misrepresent the claims of scientists
- you make illogical leaps of logic "this fish is colorful therefore God exists" is insane.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitt Romney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NY poll: Jewish voters overwhelmingly view Trum... 4 hr Isis Tranny Bathr... 2
News By the 'seat' of my pants (Sep '12) Mon Marine Corp Pat 95
News Gingrich: Romney will win 'over 300 electoral v... (Oct '12) Mon Povertys traitors 27
News Obama vows FDR-level effort to repair economy; ... (Sep '12) Apr 30 Swedenforever 14
News Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11) Apr 30 Three Days 31,992
News Your morning jolt: Mormonism is more like Islam... (Oct '11) Apr 30 Three Days 115
News Candidates' wives provide a reality check (Feb '12) Apr 30 Antebellum 4
More from around the web