Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,005

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#19112 Nov 28, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I disavow him. He's a nut case. But this is a LDS forum.
So do I. But I believe Terry is a nut case as well, and an LDS one at that, so I don't allow his arrogant a$$ to set the agenda for what I respond to in this forum. And J. is such a stale issue besides - that was during the f'n primaries. But I do agree with J. that the LDS is a cult. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says (I forget whether he supported Sanitarium or Gangrich), and I'm not going to waste my time with people who want to argue using fallacious reasoning. Terry just wants to pigeonhole people anyway - he learned that well in his cult.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#19113 Nov 28, 2012
All your gay problems..when all of everything you Mormons do, allow, ignore, agree with, comes back to bite you on the ass, once again..get ready for more exposure! Hahah

...because if god created gay people..then gay people are in every way equal to you. Here on earth and in your heaven (levels).....gays in the celestial??? It makes your whole purpose false. A great big spirit baby lie. LOL. Idiot homophobic men who think women want to be perpetually pregnant for eternity.

Wake up!! You are in a CULT!

Since: Sep 12

United States

#19114 Nov 28, 2012
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>So do I. But I believe Terry is a nut case as well, and an LDS one at that, so I don't allow his arrogant a$$ to set the agenda for what I respond to in this forum. And J. is such a stale issue besides - that was during the f'n primaries. But I do agree with J. that the LDS is a cult. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says (I forget whether he supported Sanitarium or Gangrich), and I'm not going to waste my time with people who want to argue using fallacious reasoning. Terry just wants to pigeonhole people anyway - he learned that well in his cult.
While I am not LDS and I do not fully understand the point of The Book of Mormon. To say it is a cult or they're unchristian is pretty judgmental. The criteria for salvation is very easy to figure out. Believe and be saved, love your neighbor as yourself, and love The Lord God with all your heart soul mind and strength. If Mormons wish to think some lost 13th tribe came to America but they hold to the teaching of Christ who cares? The bible doesn't even directly speak out against having more than one wife. Paul made the suggestion to not marry or to only have one wife so you have more time to devote to the church.

Location hidden

#19115 Nov 28, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
While I am not LDS and I do not fully understand the point of The Book of Mormon. To say it is a cult or they're unchristian is pretty judgmental. The criteria for salvation is very easy to figure out. Believe and be saved, love your neighbor as yourself, and love The Lord God with all your heart soul mind and strength. If Mormons wish to think some lost 13th tribe came to America but they hold to the teaching of Christ who cares? The bible doesn't even directly speak out against having more than one wife. Paul made the suggestion to not marry or to only have one wife so you have more time to devote to the church.
Oh..u support warren jeffs?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#19117 Nov 29, 2012
NoMo wrote:
All your gay problems..when all of everything you Mormons do, allow, ignore, agree with, comes back to bite you on the ass, once again..get ready for more exposure! Hahah
...because if god created gay people..then gay people are in every way equal to you. Here on earth and in your heaven (levels).....gays in the celestial??? It makes your whole purpose false. A great big spirit baby lie. LOL. Idiot homophobic men who think women want to be perpetually pregnant for eternity.
Wake up!! You are in a CULT!
God did not, and does not, "create gay people". Never has, and never will.

Contrary to your assertion, there is no "gay problem" within the Church. It's really very straightforward: God created man and woman for distinctly identified, specific purposes, as clearly stated in the Holy Bible. If one does not support that simple fact, then one does not believe in the Holy Bible.

Being "gay" is a a lifestyle choice that people make for themselves, and I support the right of adults to make such choices, for themselves, and live with whatever consequences result. I also support the right of adults to seek therapy, for themselves, if they feel they must, for whatever reason they see fit. I also support the right of parents, who are ultimately responsible for their children's actions as children, to choose whatever lawful therapy they deem necessary for their children. Parents must then also live with the consequences of their choices.

Location hidden

#19118 Nov 29, 2012
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
So do I. But I believe Terry is a nut case as well, and an LDS one at that, so I don't allow his arrogant a$$ to set the agenda for what I respond to in this forum. And J. is such a stale issue besides - that was during the f'n primaries. But I do agree with J. that the LDS is a cult. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says (I forget whether he supported Sanitarium or Gangrich), and I'm not going to waste my time with people who want to argue using fallacious reasoning. Terry just wants to pigeonhole people anyway - he learned that well in his cult.
Admitting that you support the Rev. Jeffress is a bold move! A WRONG move, but a bold one nonetheless. It's good to see that there are a few folks on the left who still have a spine..even if they use it to stand tall in support of fools.

Personally, I disavow Jeffress as well.

And who's this "Terry" you keep talking about? Relative of yours?

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19119 Nov 29, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh..u support warren jeffs?
No where in his post did he say he supports Warren Jeffs. Just another example of how you take what someone says and change it to fit your own agenda. You mention others making assumptions all the time. Yet this is a prime example of how you take what someone says and assume they mean something else.
He never said he supported polygamy, only said that to his knowledge he has never seen it written as a sin.
You twist that to mean he supports someone as vile as Jeffs. You are no better than the very people you claim to be fighting against.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#19120 Nov 29, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
God did not, and does not, "create gay people". Never has, and never will.
Contrary to your assertion, there is no "gay problem" within the Church. It's really very straightforward: God created man and woman for distinctly identified, specific purposes, as clearly stated in the Holy Bible. If one does not support that simple fact, then one does not believe in the Holy Bible.
Being "gay" is a a lifestyle choice that people make for themselves, and I support the right of adults to make such choices, for themselves, and live with whatever consequences result. I also support the right of adults to seek therapy, for themselves, if they feel they must, for whatever reason they see fit. I also support the right of parents, who are ultimately responsible for their children's actions as children, to choose whatever lawful therapy they deem necessary for their children. Parents must then also live with the consequences of their choices.
I'm not sure how you can say that if a person does not support the fact that heavenly father never created Gay people, then they can not support the bible.
Have you ever been around a gay person that you have known since childhood? It is obvious in the very early years that their sexual preference is different and they struggle with that for many years.
I do think that many now who claim to be gay do it because it is the popular trend among their peers. I can't tell you how many kids at my daughters school have suddenly become bisexual in high school. It breaks my heart that they consider something that is a real struggle for some as just a social trend. However for those who truly are homosexual, it is sad to watch them struggle with life the way they do.
Heavenly father gives all of us our challenges, maybe this is theirs.
I remember when my boyfriend came out, he was told by our bishop that it was not a sin to be gay, it was a sin to act on it.
I fully believe in the bible and in the church, but I absolutely do not believe that being gay for some is a choice. Why would they choose to live with the hardships they face everyday?

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#19121 Nov 29, 2012
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure how you can say that if a person does not support the fact that heavenly father never created Gay people, then they can not support the bible.
Have you ever been around a gay person that you have known since childhood? It is obvious in the very early years that their sexual preference is different and they struggle with that for many years.
I do think that many now who claim to be gay do it because it is the popular trend among their peers. I can't tell you how many kids at my daughters school have suddenly become bisexual in high school. It breaks my heart that they consider something that is a real struggle for some as just a social trend. However for those who truly are homosexual, it is sad to watch them struggle with life the way they do.
I remember when my boyfriend came out, he was told by our bishop that it was not a sin to be gay, it was a sin to act on it.
I fully believe in the bible and in the church, but I absolutely do not believe that being gay for some is a choice. Why would they choose to live with the hardships they face everyday?
You're absolutely right. It's ridiculous to say people aren't born that way. If they are born that way, that is what God wants them to be. I hate the church's position they teach that God will only love them if they deny themselves the basic love every human needs to be healthy and productive.

Location hidden

#19122 Nov 29, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>God did not, and does not, "create gay people". Never has, and never will.

Sadly, u show how truly ignorant u are. I'll tell u, teaching kids all these years in your Mormon Mecca, knowing what they will face by ignorant bigots like u...it sickens me. U and every other bigot are the problem, NOT the gay kid. But U and every other bigot become his problem because of willful ignorance and blind prejudice taught by your cult.
It's all changing(slowly) right before ur very eyes, isn't it? You can't stop it anymore:)
Bigotry is a choice, being gay isn't. Your cult..ONCE AGAIN is WRONG. Make it change or get the hell out of the way.

Location hidden

#19123 Nov 29, 2012
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure how you can say that if a person does not support the fact that heavenly father never created Gay people, then they can not support the bible.
Your argument is a good one, well thought out.

My personal belief that no one is "born gay" does not come from the LDS Church, it comes from long before I became a member of the church at the age of 18. My early religious influences came from family members and friends who were everything from Seventh-Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witness, Baptist, Methodist, etc. Put all that together and add in the biology of male-female, and to me, at least, it's obvious that the system of male-female is here for a reason, and that homosexuality is an aberration to that divine system.

The King James Version of the Holy Bible states:

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: It is abomination."

In context, it is clear the passage is speaking of sexual relations. To me, it doesn't say it is AN abomination, it says it IS abomination, as if it is the abomination by which all other abominations are judged.

There are churches who do not use the King James Version of the bible, and other translations of the bible may word this passage differently, but right now, the King James Version is the authorized version of the bible used by the LDS Church, so I have to stick with it.

Unless one is willing to disavow the King James Version, one must abide by it. God's law is what it is. I cannot rightfully pick and choose what parts of the bible I choose to believe, and what parts I choose not to believe.

Location hidden

#19124 Nov 29, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, u show how truly ignorant u are. I'll tell u, teaching kids all these years in your Mormon Mecca, knowing what they will face by ignorant bigots like u...it sickens me. U and every other bigot are the problem, NOT the gay kid. But U and every other bigot become his problem because of willful ignorance and blind prejudice taught by your cult.
It's all changing(slowly) right before ur very eyes, isn't it? You can't stop it anymore:)
Bigotry is a choice, being gay isn't. Your cult..ONCE AGAIN is WRONG. Make it change or get the hell out of the way.
Pretty much "No" on all counts.

The Bible teaches us to love the sinner, but hate the sin. There are many choices adults make that are destructive to body and spirit. Alcohol abuse, drug abuse, promiscuity, etc.

Choosing to engage in homosexual behavior is also on that list.

There is no reason to ostracize those who repent from their sins, and are honestly and legitimately attempting to reconcile their path to spiritual growth. But equally, there is no reason to abide by those who flaunt their sin as some sort of "freedom", or badge of honor.

I have friends and family members who live a gay lifetyle, and they they have every right to do so. I also have the right to disagree with their actions.

Location hidden

#19125 Nov 29, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty much "No" on all counts.

The Bible teaches us to love the sinner, but hate the sin. There are many choices adults make that are destructive to body and spirit. Alcohol abuse, drug abuse, promiscuity, etc.

Choosing to engage in homosexual behavior is also on that list.

There is no reason to ostracize those who repent from their sins, and are honestly and legitimately attempting to reconcile their path to spiritual growth. But equally, there is no reason to abide by those who flaunt their sin as some sort of "freedom", or badge of honor.

I have friends and family members who live a gay lifetyle, and they they have every right to do so. I also have the right to disagree with their actions.
Pretty much "YOU ARE AN IGNORANT BIGOT" on all counts...

http://front.moveon.org/missouri-pastors-fier...

Location hidden

#19126 Nov 29, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much "YOU ARE AN IGNORANT BIGOT" on all counts...
http://front.moveon.org/missouri-pastors-fier...
You post as if I care one whit about what you think of me.

My statements stand.

Marysville, CA

#19127 Nov 29, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument is a good one, well thought out.
My personal belief that no one is "born gay" does not come from the LDS Church, it comes from long before I became a member of the church at the age of 18. My early religious influences came from family members and friends who were everything from Seventh-Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witness, Baptist, Methodist, etc. Put all that together and add in the biology of male-female, and to me, at least, it's obvious that the system of male-female is here for a reason, and that homosexuality is an aberration to that divine system.
The King James Version of the Holy Bible states:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: It is abomination."
In context, it is clear the passage is speaking of sexual relations. To me, it doesn't say it is AN abomination, it says it IS abomination, as if it is the abomination by which all other abominations are judged.
There are churches who do not use the King James Version of the bible, and other translations of the bible may word this passage differently, but right now, the King James Version is the authorized version of the bible used by the LDS Church, so I have to stick with it.
Unless one is willing to disavow the King James Version, one must abide by it. God's law is what it is. I cannot rightfully pick and choose what parts of the bible I choose to believe, and what parts I choose not to believe.
Well, apparently the Mormon church can pick and choose, because the Book of Mormon taught that polygamy was an abomination, yet later Smith taught it was something you had to or be damned. The KJV of the Bible isn't divine, it is just a translation. The smartest people of the day did it. It wasn't some revelation from God. You sound like Muslims who claim that the Quran can only be b understood in Arabic. God did not reach down and point his finger at the KJV. You want to use that as justification for your bigotry towards homosexuals, that's fine. By that same standard you have damned yourself because of your total disregard of D&C 89. By the standards you judge others, you will be judged. You already deny the grace of Jesus Christ by embracing Mormonism. So you do pick and choose what you decide to believe from the Bible.

Marysville, CA

#19128 Nov 29, 2012
When it comes to being on the right side, The LDS church has always managed to be on the other. It supported, slavery, polygamy, racism, was against civil rights, women rights, and now gay rights. Yet, it will change on gay rights like it has always changed when put under public pressure and facing the wrath of the law. And when it does, the members will go back to pretending it was always the way it was after the change. Just like in "1984". We are at war with EuroAsia, we have always been at war with EuroAsia, Pacifica is our friends.

Location hidden

#19129 Nov 29, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>You post as if I care one whit about what you think of me.

My statements stand.
I post as if u are as willfully ignorant as u are. U just expose it for everyone else to see.

Location hidden

#19131 Nov 29, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, apparently the Mormon church can pick and choose, because the Book of Mormon taught that polygamy was an abomination, yet later Smith taught it was something you had to or be damned. The KJV of the Bible isn't divine, it is just a translation. The smartest people of the day did it. It wasn't some revelation from God. You sound like Muslims who claim that the Quran can only be b understood in Arabic. God did not reach down and point his finger at the KJV. You want to use that as justification for your bigotry towards homosexuals, that's fine. By that same standard you have damned yourself because of your total disregard of D&C 89. By the standards you judge others, you will be judged. You already deny the grace of Jesus Christ by embracing Mormonism. So you do pick and choose what you decide to believe from the Bible.
Incorrect.

The LDS Church's official canon consists of the King James Version of the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants.

There is nothing in LDS doctrine that denies the grace of Jesus Christ.

As members of the church, we also benefit from continuing revelation through Profits of the Lord.

It was a Baptist friend of mine from high school who stated that she believed the King James translators were divinely inspired, as taught by her church. Thus, it would appear that many evangelicals would disagree with you on the source of the King James Version of the Holy Bible.

Location hidden

#19132 Nov 29, 2012
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
I post as if u are as willfully ignorant as u are. U just expose it for everyone else to see.
Yet the difference between you and I is that I know my church is true, and my testimony of Jesus Christ is unshaken and steadfast.

Thus, I have absolutely nothing to defend.

Location hidden

#19133 Nov 29, 2012
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>Yet the difference between you and I is that I know my church is true, and my testimony of Jesus Christ is unshaken and steadfast.

Thus, I have absolutely nothing to defend.
Trust me..there are many more differences between us than just the brainwashing u willingly got when u joined a cult that can "make u a god.
What did Jesus say about gay people, mr kjv bible thumper?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitt Romney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is the worst president since WWII ? 28 min barefoot2626 485
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 22 hr WelbyMD 11,840
Dick Cheney: Picking Sarah Palin for VP Was 'A ... (Aug '12) Wed Simon 24
Shock poll: 46% of Mississippi GOP would vote t... (Apr '11) Sep 15 swedenforever 210
The country's sinking climate debate Sep 15 Sneaky Pete 3
Va. voters agree with McDonnells' guilty verdic... Sep 14 Constitutional_Reset 4
Race and Beyond: Let's Talk About Race and Poverty (Oct '12) Sep 14 Go Blue Forever 33
•••
•••

Mitt Romney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••