Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments
26,001 - 26,020 of 32,001 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 25

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

NoMo wrote:
if your cult wants to spam the internet, they will regret it..it will totally be their downfall...the more they increase their profile, the more they increase the scrutiny. It's so odd, how they don't get the concept of backlash..what is that about? The blinders are soo obvious and odd, aren't they? The missionaries really have their work cut out for them and judging by their "this isn't the time/place/realm/setting/plane t( they have a plethora of descriptives) answers, it's not going to go very well. It's like watching dogs scrambling around on glossy tile..
The ship is sinking, but the rats haven't left yet.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

NoMo wrote:
if your cult wants to spam the internet, they will regret it..it will totally be their downfall...the more they increase their profile, the more they increase the scrutiny. It's so odd, how they don't get the concept of backlash..what is that about? The blinders are soo obvious and odd, aren't they? The missionaries really have their work cut out for them and judging by their "this isn't the time/place/realm/setting/plane t( they have a plethora of descriptives) answers, it's not going to go very well. It's like watching dogs scrambling around on glossy tile..
Will you plz go to school or do something to educate yourself?

The stupidity is dull!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember you WILL be judged on judgement day. You are being seen. I for one will stand as a witness and testify about everything you have said and done on this thread... and everything I know about you.
MLP

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Judged:

I was raised a Mormon. That was a difficult task, trying to be perfect (and Never achieving it). Mormons are focused on their works. That someone is keeping score and they need more points to get into heaven (and have their own world). This belief system almost destroyed me through my own guilt and unworthiness, and I was constantly judged by my fellow Mormons. I was never at peace. It never felt right. I fell so far away from any spirituality...and lost hope and almost lost my life. But God had a plan...and he waited for me to to turn to Him...through the power of the Holy Spirit.(Mormons say holy ghost, its not accurate, a Ghost is Dead. Jesus IS ALIVE)
I was reborn. Through Christ Jesus. My Savior, My Lord. When I asked Him into my heart he made me new, I AM REDEEMED. I AM CHANGED FROM THE INSIDE OUT. I live now to Honor Him, because it fills me with Joy. There is no score keeping for my works now...as I realize that the Price was Paid in FULL for My Sins...GRACE IS A GIFT, YOU CANT EARN IT.
JESUS IS ALIVE AND HIS SPIRIT LIVES IN ME.
NOTHING COMPARES TO HIS LOVE.
I hope that the Mormons will somehow wake up.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

MLP wrote:
I was raised a Mormon. That was a difficult task, trying to be perfect (and Never achieving it). Mormons are focused on their works. That someone is keeping score and they need more points to get into heaven (and have their own world). This belief system almost destroyed me through my own guilt and unworthiness, and I was constantly judged by my fellow Mormons. I was never at peace. It never felt right. I fell so far away from any spirituality...and lost hope and almost lost my life. But God had a plan...and he waited for me to to turn to Him...through the power of the Holy Spirit.(Mormons say holy ghost, its not accurate, a Ghost is Dead. Jesus IS ALIVE)
I was reborn. Through Christ Jesus. My Savior, My Lord. When I asked Him into my heart he made me new, I AM REDEEMED. I AM CHANGED FROM THE INSIDE OUT. I live now to Honor Him, because it fills me with Joy. There is no score keeping for my works now...as I realize that the Price was Paid in FULL for My Sins...GRACE IS A GIFT, YOU CANT EARN IT.
I am sorry that is how you felt.

I have been in Wards and it seemed like people were judging me. I felt awkward. I fell away from the Church at a point... then realized that it wasn't the other members making me feel unworthy it was myself... I was judging myself compared to them.

I don't do that anymore. I am me. I do my best and that is all I can do. I know that Heavenly Father sent me here to do MY BEST not somebody else's. Nobody has the ability to drive me away, only me. It took some growing up to realize that.

In my youth I tried many different Church's... none of them were satisfying... none of them answered my questions. Each Church even though it was the same type had different teachings it seemed. I didn't understand that.

What I would like to share with you is that Jesus Christ died for all our sins. EVERYONE'S but not everyone will let him in. I say Holy Ghost all the time... nobody has ever corrected me and said a ghost is dead. I've learned that the people can be wrong but the Church is Jesus Christ' and it is growing strong... and will endure to the end. The people might not know all truths but God does... he watches us... he takes care of us.

Also, I have learned that Ward to Ward people are different. That is an odd concept sometimes to understand... but from Ca to NY there are different cultures and those people attend different wards... not everyone joins the Church with the intent to learn and learn and learn. I'm an analyst... I love to research I love to learn. I have had people tell me incorrectly... and I said wait a minute... and I went and researched for myself and found out the truth. I never through it back in to their face... but I can understand why it's difficult to feel worthy.

Worthiness wasn't something they were taking from me... it was something I had to give to myself. God Bless.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

PS. I forgot to mention I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in my late teens... and I have a true testimony of what the gospel is about... what Christ' mission was for... and why I am here. I hope you find that if you haven't... in whatever Church you are in.
FMU

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

It is amazing that you people know how to tie your shoes. You apparently can't use google for anything other than finding facebook, and topix. It amazes me that you guys are allowed to vote.

1. Two religions following the same god arguing is akin to the crazy guys at the window in an asylum arguing about what color the invisible dragon in the courtyard is.

2. None of you have taken the time to research and understand these books that you claim to hold so dear. If you honestly believed any of it, you would find the couple of minutes required to understand the subject matter.

3. The word "Christian" translates as "Christ like", or "Similar to Christ". Going by this definition, you can be a Buddhist Christian, a Muslim Christian, a Wiccan Christian, even an Atheist Christian.

All the infighting that occurs within the halls of the abrahamic religions, simply shows the rest of us that you are picking and choosing what to believe based on your own life choices. This makes all of your beliefs invalid, and implies a massive sense of under education, illiteracy, and self-righteousness. If you honestly tried to be a "Christian" you would understand what the word means.....

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

FMU wrote:
It is amazing that you people know how to tie your shoes. You apparently can't use google for anything other than finding facebook, and topix. It amazes me that you guys are allowed to vote.
1. Two religions following the same god arguing is akin to the crazy guys at the window in an asylum arguing about what color the invisible dragon in the courtyard is.
2. None of you have taken the time to research and understand these books that you claim to hold so dear. If you honestly believed any of it, you would find the couple of minutes required to understand the subject matter.
3. The word "Christian" translates as "Christ like", or "Similar to Christ". Going by this definition, you can be a Buddhist Christian, a Muslim Christian, a Wiccan Christian, even an Atheist Christian.
All the infighting that occurs within the halls of the abrahamic religions, simply shows the rest of us that you are picking and choosing what to believe based on your own life choices. This makes all of your beliefs invalid, and implies a massive sense of under education, illiteracy, and self-righteousness. If you honestly tried to be a "Christian" you would understand what the word means.....
You're at best an idiot.

1. The Mormon church does not follow the God of Abraham in any way, shape or form. They only hijack his name.

2. If you had taken the time to read the Bible you would have known 1. So don't begin to think you can tell others what is in it.

3. Your definition of "Christian" is even more ignorant than your understanding of scripture, and even more evidence you haven't read the Bible.

The infighting only shows there is a debate on meaning, and if you don't want to be a part of it, feel free to leave. We're not killing each other here, only disagreeing. Don't be a child.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry that is how you felt.
I have been in Wards and it seemed like people were judging me. I felt awkward. I fell away from the Church at a point... then realized that it wasn't the other members making me feel unworthy it was myself... I was judging myself compared to them.
I don't do that anymore. I am me. I do my best and that is all I can do. I know that Heavenly Father sent me here to do MY BEST not somebody else's. Nobody has the ability to drive me away, only me. It took some growing up to realize that.
Doing your best in Mormonism is never enough, you only achieve salvation by being perfect:

"Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This process toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through the perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us... Being perfect means to triumph over sin. This is a mandate from the Lord. He is just and wise and kind. He would never require anything from his children which was not for their benefit and which was not attainable. Perfection therefore is an achievable goal." (Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208)

"In the context of the spirit of forgiveness, one good brother asked me, "Yes, that is what ought to be done, but how do you do it? Doesn't that take a superman?''Yes,' I said,'but we are commanded to be supermen. Said the Lord,'Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.'(Matt. 5:48.) We are gods in embryo, and the Lord demands perfection of us.'" (p. 286)

Doing "your best" isn't good enough:

"The Lord will not translate one's good hopes and desires and intentions into works. Each of us must do that for himself." (p. 8)

"There is one crucial test of repentance. This is abandonment of the sin.... In other words, it is not real repentance until one has abandoned the error of his ways and started on a new path... The saving power does not extend to him who merely wants to change his life." (p. 163)

"That is why we should not wait for the life beyond but should abandon evil habits and weaknesses while in the flesh on the earth. Elder Melvin J. Ballard pinpointed this problem: A man may receive the priesthood and all its privileges and blessings, but until he learns to overcome the flesh, his temper, his tongue, his disposition to indulge in the things God has forbidden, he cannot come into the celestial kingdom of God-he must overcome either in this life or in the life to come. But this life is the time in which men are to repent. Do not let any of us imagine that we can go down to the grave not having overcome the corruptions of the flesh and then lose in the grave all our sins and evil tendencies. They will be with us. They will be with the spirit when separated from the body. Clearly it is difficult to repent in the spirit world of sins involving physical habits and actions. There one has spirit and mind but not the physical power to overcome a physical habit. He can desire to change his life, but how can he overcome the lusts of the flesh unless he has flesh to control and transform? How can he overcome the tobacco or the drink habit in the spirit world where there is no liquor nor tobacco and no flesh to crave it? Similarly with other sins involving lack of control over the body." (p. 163)

"Perfection really comes through overcoming... Christ became perfect through overcoming. Only as we overcome shall we become perfect and move toward godhood. As I have indicated previously, the time to do this is now, in mortality".(pp. 209-210)

Like all members, you lie to yourself about what the LDS church is really teaching you. Members are either honest about it, or pretend to not have to think about it. But the above poster was right, you are never good enough.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

MLP wrote:
But as you can see. Mormons want to think they can earn their place in His kingdom, reject the grace of Jesus Christ.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember you WILL be judged on judgement day. You are being seen. I for one will stand as a witness and testify about everything you have said and done on this thread... and everything I know about you.
I'm washed by the blood of Christ. You threats are just clanging bells meaning nothing.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

NoMo wrote:
Why do you continue to be such a hater? If this church is so wrong, so evil, so misguided as you claim and as you have claimed anyone can see it if you do, why do there stakes increase? A single stake increase means new wards have been established because of new conversion numbers in those ward areas. More wards needs more missionaries. So while you and dana and others wish state the church is losing tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands to even millions of members, there isn't any media coverage of Mormon ward building sitting empty because most of the members have quit the church over same sex marriage etc.
The internet is helping that church to grow and that's the most sour lemon people like you and dana have to suck on while you continue to tell lies of the exact opposite of what is happening. But haters like you and dana will hate even if it means having to lie for their god and self to just have anything negative to say to hate. And you two do a really well job of hating.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to have left the ship you speak of and that means you call yourself a rat of that ship also. Once a rat always a rat? You sure the *ell aren't a Christian...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're at best an idiot.
1. The Mormon church does not follow the God of Abraham in any way, shape or form. They only hijack his name.
2. If you had taken the time to read the Bible you would have known 1. So don't begin to think you can tell others what is in it.
3. Your definition of "Christian" is even more ignorant than your understanding of scripture, and even more evidence you haven't read the Bible.
The infighting only shows there is a debate on meaning, and if you don't want to be a part of it, feel free to leave. We're not killing each other here, only disagreeing. Don't be a child.
Amazingly I agree with you of his idiocy but he actually had a couple of good points.
But neither do you follow the God of Abraham in any shape or form. And you hijack his name all the time not knowing who you worship.
You have never read the Bible. You have tore it apart and slaughtered it's contents as irrelevant. You have no idea where God begins in the Bible and where he ends in it.
So it's best you not tell others you know about the Bible you have sliced and diced as lies and fairytales and myths.
And because you're not a Christian by it's definition, that leaves you to being a wannabe Christian as you wish to define the word.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Doing your best in Mormonism is never enough, you only achieve salvation by being perfect:
"Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This process toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees total forgiveness of sins and assures one of exaltation through the perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us... Being perfect means to triumph over sin. This is a mandate from the Lord. He is just and wise and kind. He would never require anything from his children which was not for their benefit and which was not attainable. Perfection therefore is an achievable goal." (Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208)
"In the context of the spirit of forgiveness, one good brother asked me, "Yes, that is what ought to be done, but how do you do it? Doesn't that take a superman?''Yes,' I said,'but we are commanded to be supermen. Said the Lord,'Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.'(Matt. 5:48.) We are gods in embryo, and the Lord demands perfection of us.'" (p. 286)
Doing "your best" isn't good enough:
"The Lord will not translate one's good hopes and desires and intentions into works. Each of us must do that for himself." (p. 8)
"There is one crucial test of repentance. This is abandonment of the sin.... In other words, it is not real repentance until one has abandoned the error of his ways and started on a new path... The saving power does not extend to him who merely wants to change his life." (p. 163)
"That is why we should not wait for the life beyond but should abandon evil habits and weaknesses while in the flesh on the earth. Elder Melvin J. Ballard pinpointed this problem: A man may receive the priesthood and all its privileges and blessings, but until he learns to overcome the flesh, his temper, his tongue, his disposition to indulge in the things God has forbidden, he cannot come into the celestial kingdom of God-he must overcome either in this life or in the life to come. But this life is the time in which men are to repent. Do not let any of us imagine that we can go down to the grave not having overcome the corruptions of the flesh and then lose in the grave all our sins and evil tendencies. They will be with us. They will be with the spirit when separated from the body. Clearly it is difficult to repent in the spirit world of sins involving physical habits and actions. There one has spirit and mind but not the physical power to overcome a physical habit. He can desire to change his life, but how can he overcome the lusts of the flesh unless he has flesh to control and transform? How can he overcome the tobacco or the drink habit in the spirit world where there is no liquor nor tobacco and no flesh to crave it? Similarly with other sins involving lack of control over the body." (p. 163)
"Perfection really comes through overcoming... Christ became perfect through overcoming. Only as we overcome shall we become perfect and move toward godhood. As I have indicated previously, the time to do this is now, in mortality".(pp. 209-210)
Like all members, you lie to yourself about what the LDS church is really teaching you. Members are either honest about it, or pretend to not have to think about it. But the above poster was right, you are never good enough.
Since you're taking the above literal, you prove you don't read the Bible because God/Jesus (according to your twisted logic) also literally commanded followers to not only be perfect but to be holy and blameless in the old and new testament times.

Matt 5:48 Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Leviticus 19:2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them:'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.
Deuteronomy 18:13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
FMU

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're at best an idiot.
1. The Mormon church DOES follow the God of Abraham. You are just pissy because they do it different than you.
2. I have read the Bible in its entirety, with the correct translations(not that KJV crap).
3. "Christ-like", is not my definition of the word "Christian", it is the actual definition.
4. You would not have used the word infighting, unless you were admitting that you are all branches of the same religion.
5. You have been killing each other for thousands of years.

Get your head out of your idiot pastors/priests/preachers/rabb is/monks butt, and learn something on your own.

BTW, if you accept the Bible, as being holy(and true), you will know that Christ actually says which church should be followed(History made that out to be a lie).

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
But as you can see. Mormons want to think they can earn their place in His kingdom, reject the grace of Jesus Christ.
...once again you so willing prove not only do you not read the Bible, you don't comprehend what you read when you read it. The below speak nothing of the saving grace of Jesus as you twist Jesus's own words into slithering snake like lies and you will be held accountable for what you say to mislead others.

Matthew 10:41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive ...
Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and whoever
welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous ...
//bible.cc/matthew/10-41.htm - 19k
Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the ...
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they
have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten....
//bible.cc/ecclesiastes/9-5.ht m - 19k
Matthew 5:12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in ...
Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the
same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you....
//bible.cc/matthew/5-12.htm - 18k
Luke 6:23 "Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is ...
"Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven....
Yes, leap for joy! For a great reward awaits you in heaven....
//bible.cc/luke/6-23.htm - 18k
Revelation 22:12 "Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me ...
"Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give
to each person according to what they have done....
//bible.cc/revelation/22-12.ht m - 18k
Matthew 5:46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you ...
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are ... If you love
only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even ...
//bible.cc/matthew/5-46.htm - 17k
1 Corinthians 3:14 If what has been built survives, the builder ...
If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward.... If
the work survives, that builder will receive a reward....
//bible.cc/1_corinthians/3-14. htm - 18k
1 Corinthians 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in ...
..... What then is my reward?... What then is my reward?...
//bible.cc/1_corinthians/9-18. htm - 20k
1 Corinthians 9:17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if ...
If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily,
I am simply discharging the trust committed to me....
//bible.cc/1_corinthians/9-17. htm - 19k
FMU

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazingly I agree with you of his idiocy but he actually had a couple of good points.
But neither do you follow the God of Abraham in any shape or form. And you hijack his name all the time not knowing who you worship.
You have never read the Bible. You have tore it apart and slaughtered it's contents as irrelevant. You have no idea where God begins in the Bible and where he ends in it.
So it's best you not tell others you know about the Bible you have sliced and diced as lies and fairytales and myths.
And because you're not a Christian by it's definition, that leaves you to being a wannabe Christian as you wish to define the word.
I love how you "agree" with the poster on my "idiocy", and continue to agree with me. You simply can't bring yourself to admit that an atheist could possibly be correct about anything. I know your book, and history better than you, and most likely anyone you know. You guys need to be careful, you are trying to goad me into a debate in a subject, about which, you are completely unarmed....

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm washed by the blood of Christ. You threats are just clanging bells meaning nothing.
I'm a threat to you?

ahahaha... that is hysterical. Only thing I've ever said is a promise I will testify to Christ regarding your actions on judgement day.

If you take that as a threat then um... ok it's a threat.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
No you weren't. You've undid anything you think you accomplished with all the negative trash talking foul garbage black hearted saying you have thought of to say. You have wished for murder, you praised murder and you said you would have committed the murder if you'd been there. You stated the early Mormons got everything they deserved which includes rape of girls and women, assaults, beatings, murders the burning of their buildings and being ran off of land they legally owned. You have stated you are glad for what the early saints suffered and had it coming.
You are washed by no blood of Jesus. You have washed yourself in the blackest, darkest, filthiest influences of the god you continue to prove you'd rather serve then the God of light and truth. Your words and statements of utter dark filth prove which god you serve.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••