Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#22331 Mar 18, 2013
Seriously wrote:
Legitimate prophets are NEVER wrong. They don't make mistakes - period.
Peter's a prophet and lied and tried to commit premeditated murder on a guard. What now?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#22332 Mar 18, 2013
I think some people join the Church for other people and don't have a true understanding of the teachings and history that the Church is based on.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22333 Mar 18, 2013
1. In the first "History of the Church," written by Oliver Cowdery and Joseph Smith in 1834, there is no mention of Joseph Smith's"first vision" (where God the Father and Jesus appeared and told him that all churches of the day were "abominations"), even though the church leaders today insist that this vision is the basis and beginning of Mormonism.
1a. There is no actual problem there. It can be made to seem to be a problem but it actually isn't unless that's how one wishes to view it.[QUOTE]

No, it was only suppose to be the biggest event in modern Christian(if you believe it) but that isn't a problem at all.

[QUOTE]2. Although Mormons claim that they are "family oriented," they exclude non-Mormon family members - even parents - from weddings in the temple, since only "worthy" Mormons are allowed to enter a Mormon temple.
2a. That reasoning can also be applied to Mormon parents sending a child on a mission for two years where neither Mormon or non-Mormon relatives can go to be with said child. Wow, that really proves their not "family orientated" I suppose. lolol...how fricking stupid of a statement...why am I not surprised...
A marriage in a family is one of the biggest events of a family, Mormon or not. Non-members are allowed to also go to a missionaries going away party if they wanted, and is hardly the event a wedding is. When a non-member mother can't attend her daughters member wedding, that is sick, plain and simple. Thank you for your demonstration of a mind brainwashed in a cult, and the sickness it causes.
3. Mormon scripture (D&C 84:86, 91) says that true missionaries from God will not rely on their own money or supplies ("purse or scrip") for support, and this will be a test to distinguish them from false missionaries. Modern Mormon missionaries now rely on themselves for support; i.e., they do "carry purse [and] scrip."
3a. There's an actual point there. But before we pass judgement, let's ask Dana since he claims to be a missionary for the Lord if he is doing his mission as Jesus said with nothing but the clothes on his back and nothing else. And let's ask Christians if they go on missions with nothing but the clothes they wear and nothing else. Case closed. Next.
Why should non-members have to abide with Mormon scripture? It is LDS scripture, and only the LDS should have to abide with it. Others don't have to follow your cult.
4. The Book of Mormon says that the horse was used as a beast of burden or draft animal in ancient America. This is false. The ancient Americans had no beasts of burden or draft animals, and especially not the horse.(The Incas domesticated the llama, but not until long after Book of Mormon times.)
4a. Missing evidence doesn't make a statement false. It just means the statement hasn't been proved true. The BOM also spoke of elephants being in America. We now know the Maya carved elephant head relief's into their buildings proving elephants did exist at some time in the America's for the Maya to know what they looked like though they don't exist now. Case closed. Next.
Well, you just go find those missing horses and let us know when you find them. Don't hold your breath looking! LOL!!!

Marysville, CA

#22334 Mar 18, 2013
5. Originally the terms "eternal marriage" and "celestial marriage" as used in D&C 132 meant "plural marriage," as interpreted by the 19th century Mormon leaders. Now the church has changed the meaning so as not to imply polygamy, although the terms were introduced in the revelation which authorized polygamy. The church today claims that the divine plan for marriage is one man to one woman. But D&C 132 is still scripture, and still authorizes a man to marry more than one woman at a time.
5a. The divine plan of a one man one woman existed in Smith's time along with polygamy. Not all church elders were allowed to partake in polygamy. Abraham, David, Jacob (Israel), Moses were all polygamists and practised polygamy while one man one wife marriages were also practised.[QUOTE]

Abraham, David, Jacob, never taught that polygamy was something you had to do or "be damned." D&C 132 did. It was the "new and everlasting convenant."

“The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.”
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 11, p. 269

[QUOTE]7. Joseph Smith claimed that he told his family about his "first vision" in 1820, in which he said that God and Christ had told him that he should join no church at that time because they were all false. However, several family members did subsequently join the Presbyterian church, and Joseph Smith applied to join the Methodist church in 1828, thus casting doubt on whether he had had the vision as claimed.
7a. Smith claimed on more than one occasion of having a "vision". He also described it in various ways as he aged. There is no actual doubt that Smith believed he had a vision. The doubt is to you, not Smith.
If he had really had seen God the Father and Jesus Christ, and they had told him to "join none of the churches, they were all an abomination" Why would he become Methodists?
9. Mormons teach that the process of going from the pre-existent life as spirit offspring of God requires obtaining a body, following all of God's commandments in this life, being resurrected with a perfect physical body and proceeding to godhood. No satisfactory explanation is given as to how the third member of the Mormon godhead (the Holy Ghost) can have status as a god but lack a physical body.
9a. Actually there are Mormon sources that give a satisfactory explanation for why the Holy Ghost doesn't have a body. So you make a problem appear to be where one doesn't actually exist and why am I not surprised you have done that.
Don't claim it, prove it.

Location hidden

#22335 Mar 18, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
I think some people join the Church for other people and don't have a true understanding of the teachings and history that the Church is based on.
Milk before meat

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22336 Mar 18, 2013
NoMo,

Your opinions don't offend me... your guilt from not stepping in and helping that boy is understandable.

You don't know all that was in his mind, all that he was going through. He may have been suffering from mental illness. I don't think it was your fault.

IDK if you have thought about getting counseling about this, but maybe you should.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22337 Mar 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
...Don't claim it, prove it.
You don't like the truth, so YOU claim it isn't the truth.

Nobody can prove truth to you. You have an authority issue... you will not listen to anyone. In fact, you respond to every post that you disagree with.

It must be nice to have that much time on your hands.

Marysville, CA

#22338 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like the truth, so YOU claim it isn't the truth.
Nobody can prove truth to you. You have an authority issue... you will not listen to anyone. In fact, you respond to every post that you disagree with.
It must be nice to have that much time on your hands.
I'm not taking the word of a wannabe Mormon who can't understand plain English or refuses too. His deceptions are well documented.

And what is wrong to responding to the posts I disagree with? You're not doing the same?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22339 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not taking the word of a wannabe Mormon who can't understand plain English or refuses too. His deceptions are well documented.
And what is wrong to responding to the posts I disagree with? You're not doing the same?
You disagree with anyone who doesn't support anti-Mormon literature or harassing Mormons.

That's funny and another lie.

Marysville, CA

#22340 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You disagree with anyone who doesn't support anti-Mormon literature or harassing Mormons.
That's funny and another lie.
I disagree with the lies and deceptions of the LDS church. I disagree with people who try to lie and distort scripture to make it fit the LDS church's false teachings.

It's not funny what the LDS church is doing to men's souls.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22341 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with the lies and deceptions of the LDS church. I disagree with people who try to lie and distort scripture to make it fit the LDS church's false teachings.
It's not funny what the LDS church is doing to men's souls.
Does not ashamed agree with you on this too?

Marysville, CA

#22342 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Does not ashamed agree with you on this too?
I don't speak for not ashamed, but she considers herself a faithful member and is a believer.

We agree to disagree on this aspect.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22343 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't speak for not ashamed, but she considers herself a faithful member and is a believer.
We agree to disagree on this aspect.
So you respect her but not God?

Marysville, CA

#22344 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
So you respect her but not God?
What Mormons worship isn't God. It's a figment of Smith's imagination.

Marysville, CA

#22345 Mar 19, 2013
God the Father According to Mormonism

Popular Mormon depiction of the First Vision The Mormon doctrine of God is not the same as the historic Christian view. It holds that God and man are essentially of the same species, and that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones. He is not uniquely self-existent, transcendent, or eternal. Neither is he truly the creator of all things, for he is one among potentially billions of Gods, and does not even have the ability to create matter. As BYU professor David Paulson once put it, "God does not have absolute power... but rather the power to maximally utilize natural laws to bring about His purposes."

The traditional Mormon view of God is summed up by the famous Lorenzo Snow couplet, "As man is God once was, as God is man may be." The historic understanding of this strongly implies that God the Father was once a sinner, and that we ourselves may model our mortal experience unto godhood after the mortal experience he once participated in. In his famous "King Follett Discourse" Joseph Smith taught,

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. That is the great secret...[Y]ou have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you..."

In a later sermon Joseph Smith boldly preached:

"If Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and John discovered that God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that He had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son? Whenever did a tree or anything spring into existence without a progenitor? And everything comes in this way. Paul says that which is earthly is in the likeness of that which is heavenly, Hence if Jesus had a Father, can we not believe that He had a Father also? I despise the idea of being scared to death at such a doctrine, for the Bible is full of it."

To the contrary, God says in Isaiah 43:10, "Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me." Psalm 90:2 says of him, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." This is the God Christians worship. Of him we can say, "Who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen." (Romans 11:34-36)

Not all Mormon prophets have held to the traditional Mormon view of God the Father. Brigham Young taught that "Adam was the father of the spirits of mankind in addition to being the first procreator of mankind's physical bodies; that Adam came to this earth as a resurrected and exalted being; that he 'fell' to a mortal state of existence in order to procreate mortal bodies; and that Adam was the spiritual and physical father of Jesus Christ." (David John Buerger, Dialogue, Vol.15, No.1, p.45) This doctrine has been denounced by subsequent Mormon leaders as a deadly, damnable heresy.

http://www.mrm.org/god-of-mormonism

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22347 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
... blah, blah, blah...
http://www.mrm.org/god-of-mormonism
Mormon.org is an authorized Church publication not your source.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#22348 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not taking the word of a wannabe Mormon who can't understand plain English or refuses too.
... blah, blah, blah...
Just a few days ago according to you I was a teacher, now I can't understand plain English.

You contradict yourself because I don't agree with you,
simply just another lie.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22349 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a few days ago according to you I was a teacher, now I can't understand plain English.
You contradict yourself because I don't agree with you,
simply just another lie.
I know lots of teachers that can't understand plain English.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22350 Mar 19, 2013
Dana Robertson had an opinion...
1. A marriage in a family is one of the biggest events of a family, Mormon or not. Non-members are allowed to also go to a missionaries going away party if they wanted, and is hardly the event a wedding is. When a non-member mother can't attend her daughters member wedding, that is sick, plain and simple. Thank you for your demonstration of a mind brainwashed in a cult, and the sickness it causes.
1a. Not not sick. It's a choice. Couples have left their families for centuries and went away to be married with out their family being there. We call it eloping. I suppose that's a sick choice to you to. It does deny family from attending a marriage. You supported temple marriages for 30 years. Unless you wish to state you were sick in your beliefs for 30 years?
2. Why should non-members have to abide with Mormon scripture? It is LDS scripture, and only the LDS should have to abide with it. Others don't have to follow your cult.
2a. It's called being a hypocrite. You should be familiar with that word as you just defined it in your response. You're a self proclaimed Christian and you claimed God has sent you on a mission to save peoples souls. According to the Bible you should not be in a home and you should be on the streets without anything but the clothes you wear and the shoes you have. Are you doing that? No. So you have no room to complain if someone else isn't doing it either unless you wish to be a hypocrite which you are in this instance.
1. Well, you just go find those missing horses and let us know when you find them. Don't hold your breath looking! LOL!!!
1a. You supported a lie, AGAIN. Your source said elephants hadn't been on the Americas. Your source lied so you lied supporting a lie. Mayans did see modern elephants at some time. An animal from the old world. An animal they knew so well they carved exact likenesses of elephant heads into temples.

Marysville, CA

#22351 Mar 19, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Mormon.org is an authorized Church publication not your source.
So? Where did my link get it wrong? If it is wrong, show me how.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitt Romney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) Dec 13 Trump is a joke 4,266
News News 3 Mins Ago Bannon savages Gop leaders in f... Dec 9 General Kabaka Oba 48
News Romney Has a Jobs Plan ... for China (Sep '12) Dec 7 Frank Gilley 29
News In slap at Romney, Trump says he wants Orrin Ha... Dec 6 Ecken 2
News Bannon blasts GOP leaders in contentious Alabam... Dec 6 Trump is a joke 3
News Former Colin Powell Aide: GOP Is 'Full of Racists' (Oct '12) Dec 5 Haleys Flag Removal 15
News Ron Paul Would Be Major Factor if He Went Third... (May '12) Nov 29 O Reilly Fired 3
More from around the web