What happened in Iowa? Three-way spli...

What happened in Iowa? Three-way split between Romney, Santorum, and Paul

There are 81 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Jan 3, 2012, titled What happened in Iowa? Three-way split between Romney, Santorum, and Paul. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Why did Iowa voters break almost evenly between the three candidates? According to The Washington Post, Santorum and Paul shared support from conservatives. Paul picked up support from “younger voters and independents,” but also from “voters singling out being ‘a true conservative’ as a top quality.” Santorum did best with"very conservative" voters and "voters who prioritize abortion as an issue and ‘strong moral character’ as a candidate attribute.” Romney appealed to voters “who prioritize beating President Obama.” Do you think Republicans should vote for a candidate who speaks to their values, or the candidate who seems most likely to beat Obama?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1 Jan 3, 2012
What happened? the people of Iowa showed the nation why they do not belong at the front of the primary/caucus line....
Stratton

Dedham, MA

#2 Jan 3, 2012
Iowa's becoming less relevant every year. Huckabee won the Iowa primary in 2008 and we saw how relevant that turned out to be.(Actually a lot of the same voters that supported Huckabee supported Santorum this time around - look for a similar trajectory for him.)

Also, with the new delegate selection rules, Santorum won't even get all 25 Iowa delegates. He gets 6, Romney gets 6, Paul gets 5, Gingrich gets I think 3, and so on down the line. Considering you need over 1000 delegates to win the nomination, Iowa - to paraphrase former Vice President John Nance Garner - isn't worth a bucket of warm piss.

The only effect it will have is to allow Santorum to linger on uselessly, and to force Perry out of the race. It'll be interesting to see where Perry's votes go.
Provocateur

San Francisco, CA

#3 Jan 4, 2012
Stick a fork in that bunch of losers they're all toast. They can all be dredged back up in 4 years.

Since: Sep 08

Huntsville, AL

#5 Jan 4, 2012
Not-Romney blow-out. The Not- Romney crowd of racists, anti-abortion cultists, adulterers, end of the word funds, & isolationist nuts - beat the Mormon cultist 3-1
Gravediggers

United States

#6 Jan 4, 2012
Hey, democRats take a look at California. That state is a mess. Floundering school system, huge debt, flooded with illegals, DREAM ACT putting American students behind illegals, and Princess Pelosi who costs her constituents $18K+ PER MONTH for her 'new' office.

Read democRat Brown's ideas on how to 'solve' the $13 BILLION DEBT in CA. Wow, they can have the Dream Act, but will be cutting educational funding!

http://smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php...

Stop blasting Iowa!

And Huntsman can go pick some corn!

Huntsville, AL

#7 Jan 4, 2012
Gravediggers wrote:
Hey, democRats take a look at California. That state is a mess. Floundering school system, huge debt, flooded with illegals, DREAM ACT putting American students behind illegals, and Princess Pelosi who costs her constituents $18K+ PER MONTH for her 'new' office.
Read democRat Brown's ideas on how to 'solve' the $13 BILLION DEBT in CA. Wow, they can have the Dream Act, but will be cutting educational funding!
http://smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php...
Stop blasting Iowa!
And Huntsman can go pick some corn!
You have a hell of a time with geography don't you? Iowa is one hell a long way from California.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#8 Jan 4, 2012
Looks like clear sailing for Romney, the white Obama. Start warming up to sing loudly on inaugeration day, "Hail to the Mormon." So what that if you scrape away the phony conservative bull he is using to get back the tea party gang, Romney is left of Obama. As long as he has that R behind his name, he must be deeply good. And of course he is good looking and lets not forget - white. White Obama!

“Liberal and proud of it.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#9 Jan 4, 2012
PlacitasRoy wrote:
Not-Romney blow-out. The Not- Romney crowd of racists, anti-abortion cultists, adulterers, end of the word funds, & isolationist nuts - beat the Mormon cultist 3-1
The question remains: When Romney eventually and inevitably wins the Republican nomination, how will the Evangelical base react to a possible Mormon presidency?
Florida

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Jan 4, 2012
It doesnÂ’t matter to me, I'll vote for whoever is going against Obummer here in Florida. I was suckered in, in 2008
Florida

Tallahassee, FL

#11 Jan 4, 2012

St. Croix valley

#12 Jan 4, 2012
Jen Hussein wrote:
<quoted text>
The question remains: When Romney eventually and inevitably wins the Republican nomination, how will the Evangelical base react to a possible Mormon presidency?
Going by thier track record, I would guess irrationally and with great ignorance...

Neon City Oh.

#13 Jan 4, 2012
Santorum got a big boost when he said he would take public assistance from blacks.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#14 Jan 4, 2012
If this limited experience were about what's good for our nation, several candidates would step down and work for the election of one together
Florida

Tallahassee, FL

#15 Jan 4, 2012
WDRussell wrote:
Santorum got a big boost when he said he would take public assistance from blacks.
You got a link there brother, no I didn't think so lying ass just like your bro in office now!!!

“Liberal and proud of it.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#16 Jan 4, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Going by thier track record, I would guess irrationally and with great ignorance...
I would guess that the evangelicals will freak out, but then decide that they should vote for Mitt regardless. And it will be a low turnout. A very low turnout.

St. Croix valley

#17 Jan 4, 2012
WDRussell wrote:
but not black farmers....
Stratton

Dedham, MA

#18 Jan 4, 2012
Jen Hussein wrote:
<quoted text>
I would guess that the evangelicals will freak out, but then decide that they should vote for Mitt regardless. And it will be a low turnout. A very low turnout.
I thought it was interesting that so many evangelicals voted for Santorum, a life-long Catholic. Many evangelicals have deep-seated prejudice against Catholics. I wonder if many of them just didn't know.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Jan 4, 2012
Jen Hussein wrote:
<quoted text>
I think many ultra conservatives & evangelicals will just stay home on election day and start planning for 2016. That's what happened to the Dems in '04 when many stayed home instead of voting for the uninspiring Kerry.

Depending on what happens in the House & Senate in '12, look for a complete shakeup of the GOP before 2016. They have to figure out if they want to be a party with national appeal (i.e. more Bushs & Romneys & McCains) or are they going to be a party of strict ideology. Of course they have to realize that a Bachmann or a Santorum type candidate simply isn't electable nationally.

“You gonna eat that?”

Since: Apr 07

Wasilla, AK

#20 Jan 4, 2012
Threesome in Iowa.
Florida

Tallahassee, FL

#21 Jan 4, 2012
Most states are not in play. Obama will not win Utah and Wyoming, and the Republican nominee will not carry the District of Columbia or Rhode Island. But right now 14 states (with 172 electoral votes) are up for grabs.

Obama narrowly won three traditionally Republican states in 2008: Indiana, Virginia and North Carolina.

Democrats last carried the first two in 1964 and the third in 1976.

The president will be hard-pressed to win these states and their 39 electoral votes, especially Indiana and North Carolina. Democrats will have their convention in Charlotte in an attempt to hold the latter. But a 2009 study by political scientists Michael J. Berry and Kenneth Bickers (of the University of Colorado at Boulder and Denver, respectively) found "no evidence that hosting a national nominating convention has any discernible effect on the ultimate vote in that state."

Ohio, with 18 electoral votes, and Florida, with 29, both went Democratic in 2008 (they went Republican in 2004), but the swing in each was less than the national average. This indicates some weakness for Mr. Obama that has persisted: A recent Quinnipiac University poll in Florida shows the president losing to a generic, unnamed Republican by three points

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Huckabee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr Sitka 4,999
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 hr Richardfs 22,158
News 2016ers weigh in on Trump's 'blood' comment (Aug '15) Dec '16 Geezer files 449
News Shock poll: 46% of Mississippi GOP would vote t... (Apr '11) Nov '16 Trump Univetsity ... 275
News Brisbane woman Jenna Louise Driscoll who had se... Nov '16 Cordwainer Trout 2
News White Alabama officer indicted on murder charge... Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Mike Huckabee defends South Carolina against ra... (Jun '15) Nov '16 Geezer Files 101
More from around the web