Letters: The selling of moth spray

Many, many thanks to Herald reporter Julia Reynolds for her "Marketing of moth spraying" article on Sunday. Full Story
Serving Citizen

United States

#1 Feb 1, 2008
I wanted to write a letter to shed a little light on the "citizen" Alex Rivera who was commenting on Measure R on the news. For those of you who saw the news, you saw a concerned citizen in plain street clothes issuing concerns about the tax measure. He failed to mention that he is the union president, Captain and Acting Chief for Presidio on Monterey Fire Department who doesn't live in or near Seaside. POM fire dept. has already lost its upcoming contract with CSUMB and the station is sitting on what is now city of Seaside land. Many of the firefighters are already out the door; Case in point, many of the members of POM were seen at city of Salinas firefighter application. Rivera's argument was nothing more than a hollow jab at the departments that outperformed to gain the contracts for the areas that decided not to renew with POM. Maybe people found out that some department members couldn't pass a mandatory Physical Agility Test which may not sound like a big deal but it is a MINIMUM requirement required by all surrounding departments and it is used as a baseline measurement. This doesn't include all members of course as a few are competing in firefighter olympics and should be applauded, but If a simple physical test cant be passed imagine what would happen if your house was on fire. Captain Rivera thought that he was pulling the wool but he is nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing. He has no concern for you or me: the citizens of Seaside, his concerns lie purely with himself.
Observer

Salinas, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2008
Carl's letter was great. I wonder if the Herald can guess why their profits and circulation have been steadily declining. The paper is turning into basically a bunch of ads and ad inserts. Little news. At any rate, if the Herald wants to cut more jobs they can start with Royal Calkins. He's the reason the opinion page looks like it does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Gravel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Sen. Mike Gravel says White House suppre... (May '13) May '13 DC tells it like ... 16
From JFK to Sept. 11, conspiracy theories thrive (Aug '11) Aug '11 true 56
Speakers' corner (Feb '11) Feb '11 scout 1
Ron Paul will ruin the dreams of the 2012 fring... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Crazy n Nutty Pol... 1
History not kind to campaign write-in candidates (Sep '10) Sep '10 Raoul Thibideaux 1
Gravel tells kids: Use pot over alcohol (Jan '08) Feb '09 Nick C 27
[Former Senator] Gravel: Take Bush to The Hague (Oct '08) Oct '08 Andrew Yu-Jen Wang 1
More from around the web