Gravel tells kids: Use pot over alcohol

Gravel tells kids: Use pot over alcohol

There are 27 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 8, 2008, titled Gravel tells kids: Use pot over alcohol. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Not much has been heard recently from former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel as the candidate continues his long-shot bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, but he did gain attention with recent remarks on ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Darkwater

North Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 8, 2008
Senile, this guy is an I D I O T!
Hans_Peters

AOL

#2 Jan 8, 2008
This article is a bunch of hype in search of a scandal.
Frankly discussing the relative harms of marijuana to alcohol, is not the same thing as actual substance advocacy. You know what happens when you insulate your children and refrain from talking honestly about the pressing issues of their day?– you wind up with alot more Jamie Spears.
Mike Gravel is one of the few remaining genuine American heroes.
deli

Pretoria, South Africa

#3 Jan 8, 2008
use both ffs......
War on War

Reedsburg, WI

#4 Jan 8, 2008
He's right. And, we should be morally outraged at the amount of money spent on surveilling, adjudicating, and incarcerating pot growers and users. The system harms more lives over pot than the use.
GOOD POINT

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jan 8, 2008
Hans_Peters wrote:
This article is a bunch of hype in search of a scandal.
Frankly discussing the relative harms of marijuana to alcohol, is not the same thing as actual substance advocacy. You know what happens when you insulate your children and refrain from talking honestly about the pressing issues of their day?– you wind up with alot more Jamie Spears.
Mike Gravel is one of the few remaining genuine American heroes.
You make a good point. When the authorities exaggerate the "dangers" of smoking pot the kids soon realize that the authorities are full of doo-doo. The authorities then lose credibility and the kids end up disbelieving everything.
GOOD POINT

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Jan 8, 2008
War on War wrote:
He's right. And, we should be morally outraged at the amount of money spent on surveilling, adjudicating, and incarcerating pot growers and users. The system harms more lives over pot than the use.
There is a lot of money in waging a war that can't be won. Imagine what would happen (and how much it would cost) to wage a war on stupidity.
Smoke This

Chicago, IL

#7 Jan 8, 2008
I agree with him. Booze definitely screws you up worse and much faster than pot does. The only problem with smoking the "evil" weed is that it's damn tough on the lungs.
brian

New Auburn, WI

#8 Jan 8, 2008
I wish i would have used pot insted of booze in high school I would not be sitting in a wheelchair for 26 yrs, I have met many others disabled from booze NEVER from pot
brian

New Auburn, WI

#9 Jan 8, 2008
Darkwater wrote:
Senile, this guy is an I D I O T!
Have another beer looser
greenman

Oakland, CA

#10 Jan 8, 2008
Use a vaporizor rather than smoke. It is much easier on the lungs as the thc is vaporized rather than burned. You don't get all the smoke, just vaporized thc.
David

United States

#11 Jan 8, 2008
no hangover either from the dank. Theres couple of nice sayings I once heard to back up pot as a better alternative to alcohol:

"A drunk man will come home and beat his wife; a high man will come home and eat her cooking."

And...

"Man created alcohol, G-d created pot. G-d is perfect, man is not."

anyone else in agreement?
David Oyog

AOL

#13 Jan 9, 2008
As for legalizing marijuana also known as hemp, I am all for it. By doing this we can save the environment and stabilize our economy. Oil companies don't want this cause you can make a fuel that can run our cars out of hemp. Drug companies don't want this cause this plant has been used for medicines for thousands of years and will wipe out 50% of the pharmaceutical drugs on the market today. The timber industry won't want this plant legal cause hemp can be used for paper and building materials.

Now if you want to see Marijuana vs. Alcohol just Google it. Marijuana is less addictive. Hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths each year, yet there has never been a marijuana overdose death in history. Alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs while marijuana is one of the least toxic drugs. Long-term marijuana use is far less harmful then long-term alcohol use. Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.

So you see Mike Gravel has been doing his homework and is the candidate for my vote.
Nickoale

Clanton, AL

#15 Jan 15, 2008
mike gravel for president
Nickoale

Clanton, AL

#16 Jan 15, 2008
I LOVE Mike gravel
WEALTHY

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Jan 15, 2008
GOOD POINT wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good point. When the authorities exaggerate the "dangers" of smoking pot the kids soon realize that the authorities are full of doo-doo. The authorities then lose credibility and the kids end up disbelieving everything.
YUP RIGHT HERE

I WANTED TO BE A POLICE OFFICER GROWING UP AS A KID, MY BROTHER WAS ONE I LOOKED UP TO THEM.

I THOUGHT POT WAS ONLY FOR HORRIBLE DRUG ADDICTS.

THEN I SMOKED SOME, AND WAS LIKE

ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?

WHY IS THIS ILLEGAL? WHY ARE PEOPLE DEMONIZED OVER ITS USE WHILE THOUSANDS DIE EACH YEAR DUE TO ALCOHOL ABUSE?

WHY AM I SUBJECT TO CONSTANT BEER COMMERCIALS WHILE GRANDPA WHO TOKES UP TO PRODUCE AN APPETITE GETS HAULED TO JAIL.

THIS LAW DOES NOTHING BUT BREED DISTRUST.

AND AS ALL THE OLDER PEOPLE DIE, THEY ARE BEING REPLACED WITH US,

AS ALWAYS IN LIFE

HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#19 Jan 15, 2008
Wow a pretty decent dialogue about pot.. wow just wow.
lalala

Washington, DC

#20 Jan 16, 2008
it is absolutely absurd that both cigarettes and alcohol should be legal while marijuana continues to be illegal. Comparatively alcohol causes infinitely more problems than weed. Around 20,000 people die a year from alcohol, excluding drunk driving deaths. When you drink in excess, you lose yourself, black out, make a fool of yourself, etc..... I drink on occasion, but I understand how harmless weed is, especially when compared to alcohol. It's good to know that one politician actually has some common sense in these days of pure BS.
sparko

Des Plaines, IL

#21 Jan 16, 2008
legalize weed
eliot bernstein

Chico, CA

#22 Jan 24, 2008
All Presidential Candidates for the 2008 election belong or are funded by a group started by Skull and Bones of Yale called the Council on Foreign Relations, a war mongering group that disguises itself as a think tank. Most members belong to Skull and Bones, the Bilderbergs, the Trilateral Commission, etc. just like Kerry and Bush (both Boneheads). Again, these Nazi sympathizing groups have stacked both sides of the ticket to assure themselves control of the government.
Check it out
2008 Presidential Candidates Members of the CFR include:
Democrat CFR Candidates:
Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton (Yale Law, Editor Yale Review of Law and Social Action), John Edwards, Chris Dodd and Bill Richardson
Republican CFR Candidates:
Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Fred Thompson, Newt Gingrich
Corporate members include:
Halliburton of Dubai, British Petroleum, Dutch Royal Shell, Exxon Mobile, General Electric (NBC), Chevron, Lockheed Martin, Merck Pharmaceuticals, News Corp (FOX), Bloomberg, IBM, Time Warner, JP Morgan/ Chase Manhattan & several other major financial institutions.
Other Notable Members Include:
Dick Cheney (Director 1987-1988), John Kerry, Bill Clinton (Yale Law, met Hillary while attending), Al Gore, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, John, David & Nelson Rockefeller, Condolezza Rice, Paul Wolfowitz, Alan Greenspan (Director 1987-1988), Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, Angelina Jolie (Yes, the actress has a five year term membership as an ambassador), Lewis �Scooter� Libby, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Maurice Hank Greenberg (Vice Chairman & Director).
The goals of the CFR are best described by its very own members. Bill Clinton’s Georgetown mentor and CFR member Carroll Quigley states:“The Council on Foreign Relations is the American branch of a society which originated in England…[and]…believes national boundaries should be obliterated and one world rule established.” Quigley differs from many of his CFR colleagues in that he believes their plan for a new world order should be more publicly disclosed. In his book Tragedy and Hope, Quigley concedes he is unique among his peers in that he believes the new world order plan of global government’s “role in history is significant enough to be known.” Quigley also admits that the two-party system allows for both groups to be controlled at the highest level but operate like bitter rivals. As Quigley says, this gives the voters the chance to “throw the rascals out at any election without leading to any profound of extreme shifts in policy.” Controlling Washington elite allowed private central banks to �dominate the political system…and economy of world as a whole” and implement a new system of “feudalist fashion” through “secret agreements.” Although he believes the CFR’s intentions should be more public, Quigley understands the average person doesn’t understand feudalism or serfdom and will never read his book.
“The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.” J. Edgar Hoover
President Kennedy said of Freemasonry:“The very word ’secrecy’ is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it.” President John F. Kennedy � address to newspaper publishers, April 27, 1961
http://iviewit.tv/senatecultbill.htm
http://iviewit.tv/CompanyDocs/Book/index.htm
http://iviewit.tv/
Best in reclaiming America
Bob

Chicago, IL

#23 Jan 24, 2008
It's about time someone in power sees reality. I hope he runs for President

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Gravel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike Gravel, ex-Alaska senator, to lead up... (Jan '15) Jan '15 RustyS 2
News Ex-senator from Alaska to run marijuana company (Dec '14) Dec '14 Le Jimbo 1
News Former Sen. Mike Gravel says White House suppre... (May '13) May '13 DC tells it like ... 16
News From JFK to Sept. 11, conspiracy theories thrive (Aug '11) Aug '11 true 56
News Speakers' corner (Feb '11) Feb '11 scout 1
News Ron Paul will ruin the dreams of the 2012 fring... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Crazy n Nutty Pol... 1
News History not kind to campaign write-in candidates (Sep '10) Sep '10 Raoul Thibideaux 1
More from around the web