Does Pres. Bush abuse the veto process ?

Created by outnleftfield on Oct 17, 2007

312 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

occasionally

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#1 Oct 17, 2007
I voted NO because I think Bush has not abused his veto power. He has used it within the framework of the Constitution. However, I DO think he has vetoed legislation that he should not have...that is a different question.

“World Traveler”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Oct 17, 2007
I certainly could be mistaken, but I thought they said that the child health bill he vetoed recently, was only his second veto as President. I'd hardly call that abuse, if true.

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#3 Oct 17, 2007
Not with his vetoes, but his "signing statements" which are completely unconstitutional. I actually wish he had discovered the veto pen 5 years ago when the Republicans were bring home the pork with bridges to nowhere and other specific projects.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#4 Oct 18, 2007
The poll results are so telling.

The majority thinks Bush has abused his veto power, and he has used it less than any president in the last 100 years.

Bush derangement syndrome strikes again.

I swear, his biggest mistake was believing dimocrats and trying to get along with them.

“World Traveler”

Location hidden

#5 Oct 18, 2007
MJayM wrote:
The majority thinks Bush has abused his veto power, and he has used it less than any president in the last 100 years.
I swear, his biggest mistake was believing dimocrats and trying to get along with them.
Well, this had my curiousity, so went and looked this up, and here are the numbers:

7 Presidents had no vetos in their terms.

The heavy hitters club (>100):
F.D. Roosevelt (D) with 635 (11 yrs)
Cleveland (D) with 414 (8 yrs)
Truman (D) with 250 (8 yrs)
Ike (R) with 181 (8 yrs)

More recently:
Clinton (D) with 37 (8 yrs)
G.H.W. Bush (R) with 44 (4 yrs)
Reagan (R) with 78 (8 yrs)
Carter (D) with 31 (4 yrs)
Ford (R) with 66 (2.5 yrs)

So, does G. W. Bush abuse the veto power? Probably not, by historical comparison to previous office holders.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#6 Oct 18, 2007
I think I should have worded the poll differently but as it is what it is I will say this about it . I feel that Bush like all in power see's what he see's . This is why it would help if the next President had actually been an American citizen and not an American Socialite. An honest regular American. Not a cultivated puppet , with an agenda for self service and at all costs to the commoners. He vetos before the bill arrives , "if they bring that bill I'll veto ", "if they don't change the bill I'll veto " So in my opinion although he has rarely used the veto , he has mastered the dodge and still gets the ball. Why everyone is so willing to save face for him is amazing. Make no mistake Bush intimidates pasty faced gay/religous politicians , he also has the blackmail and bankroll market cornered. He tit for tats and welchs while stabbing all in the back and at the end of the day Patriotic loyal Americans are happy with the job he is doing. Drones are always loyal it's their only option other than exile and death. Shameless.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

#7 Oct 18, 2007
Above it says see's what he see's lol oops I did it again LOL sees what he sees . If I miss anything else just tar and feather me . peace Out

“Moderator Extraordinaire”

Since: Aug 07

Here and There

#8 Oct 18, 2007
MJayM wrote:
First, pull your head out.

Second, quit cutting school, you need the spelling class.

Richardson, Texas

#9 Oct 18, 2007
Good research, my lazy self not willing this morning.

I stand corrected.

I think with the look at the history, you can pretty much tell if the congress is of the opposing party, more vetoes follow.

Founding Fathers had some good horse sense.
Hogtop wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, this had my curiousity, so went and looked this up, and here are the numbers:
7 Presidents had no vetos in their terms.
The heavy hitters club (>100):
F.D. Roosevelt (D) with 635 (11 yrs)
Cleveland (D) with 414 (8 yrs)
Truman (D) with 250 (8 yrs)
Ike (R) with 181 (8 yrs)
More recently:
Clinton (D) with 37 (8 yrs)
G.H.W. Bush (R) with 44 (4 yrs)
Reagan (R) with 78 (8 yrs)
Carter (D) with 31 (4 yrs)
Ford (R) with 66 (2.5 yrs)
So, does G. W. Bush abuse the veto power? Probably not, by historical comparison to previous office holders.

Richardson, Texas

#10 Oct 18, 2007
soda pop wrote:
<quoted text>
First, pull your head out.
Second, quit cutting school, you need the spelling class.
Dude, is your mother still bragging about me?

What's your deal?

“May the CEO POWER RULE FOREVER”

Location hidden

#11 Oct 21, 2007
I have a bucket of tar.Can you supply the feathers?Just kidding.Actually,any prez who cuts taxes has MY vote.However,I wish he had vetoed EVERY spending bill that had "earmarks".That was bogus.So that makes him 50-50.Average.At least he took the war to our enemies homelands.We have foiled many terrorist attacks because of his policies,such as the Patriot act and wiretapping.I have nothing to hide,so I do NOT care if someone wiretaps ME.If it saves even ONE american from being kidnapped and tortured,it is worth giving up a few "rights".
outnleftfield wrote:
Above it says see's what he see's lol oops I did it again LOL sees what he sees . If I miss anything else just tar and feather me . peace Out

Location hidden

#12 Oct 22, 2007
You are OK lefty.To bad we see things differently.
outnleftfield wrote:

Location hidden

#13 Oct 22, 2007
Hey,lefty-A foulmouth nazi got on my case about my race.On the other website.I wrote a little ditty about him.Read it.Might make you LOL.Peace
outnleftfield wrote:

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

#14 Oct 22, 2007
Cheech the Conservative wrote:
You are OK lefty.To bad we see things differently.<quoted text>
My feelings weren't hurt I tried to reply to you that I was allergic to feathers but my pc bit the dirt had to restore it and defragment took most of the day . LOL make it tar and hypo-allergenic feathers and your on !

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

#15 Oct 22, 2007
Cheech the Conservative wrote:
Hey,lefty-A foulmouth nazi got on my case about my race.On the other website.I wrote a little ditty about him.Read it.Might make you LOL.Peace<quoted text>
sure will lol !

“Texas Rocks!!”

Texas

#16 Oct 31, 2007
Hello everyone !
Mike Gravel for president 2008
http://www.gravel2008.us/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Gravel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike Gravel, ex-Alaska senator, to lead up... Jan '15 RustyS 2
News Ex-senator from Alaska to run marijuana company Dec '14 Le Jimbo 1
News Former Sen. Mike Gravel says White House suppre... (May '13) May '13 DC tells it like ... 16
News From JFK to Sept. 11, conspiracy theories thrive (Aug '11) Aug '11 true 56
News Speakers' corner (Feb '11) Feb '11 scout 1
News Ron Paul will ruin the dreams of the 2012 fring... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Crazy n Nutty Pol... 1
News History not kind to campaign write-in candidates (Sep '10) Sep '10 Raoul Thibideaux 1
More from around the web