R.E.M. calling it quits after 3 decades

Sep 21, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Times-Picayune

R.I.P. to R.E.M. The Grammy-winning rock group announced on its website Wednesday that it has "decided to call it a day as a band." Michael Stipe, frontman of US rock band R.E.M., performs on stage at the Hallenstadion in Zurich, Switzerland.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Sep 24, 2011
short trus micro bus

Middletown, IL

#1 Sep 21, 2011
dats him in da corner
the haul of records

Australia

#2 Sep 23, 2011
I heard the news and... was, frankly, not surprised. How many bands continue to sound fresh and bring up new ideas after 15 albums? Not many.

I love REM and I'm sad to hear of their demise. However, we still have their magnificent records to listen to. Yes?

REM's music made life just that little bit richer, more joyful and intriguing. A wonderful band who will be missed. Vale, REM, you will live on in our hearts.

If you're fairly new to REM's music, then check out Reckoning (1984), Fables of the Reconstruction (1985), Document (1987), Green (1988) and Accelerate (2008).

My favourite song is 'The One I Love' from Document. This song hits you in the heart and between the legs. Listen to the lyrics.

Vale, REM, you helped me through many dark times and I won't forget you.
ShinyHappyPeople

UK

#3 Sep 23, 2011
At first I was like, yeah okay, they're all too old and not relevant to my generation. But then, I started listening to their songs (haven't done so for a while): Everybody Hurts and Losing My Religion. I found their music is still influential and fresh. At least REM music makes you think and try to understand what is the meaning behind the words. It is sad that, one of the greatest alternative bands of all time has come to an end.

(IMHO 'The One I Love' if not listened closely can be misinterpreted as a 'beautiful song'. It's actually a 'hate song'.)
the haul of records

Australia

#4 Sep 24, 2011
ShinyHappyPeople wrote:
At first I was like, yeah okay, they're all too old and not relevant to my generation. But then, I started listening to their songs (haven't done so for a while): Everybody Hurts and Losing My Religion. I found their music is still influential and fresh. At least REM music makes you think and try to understand what is the meaning behind the words. It is sad that, one of the greatest alternative bands of all time has come to an end.
(IMHO 'The One I Love' if not listened closely can be misinterpreted as a 'beautiful song'. It's actually a 'hate song'.)
'The One I Love' is certainly no love song, but I wouldn't call it a hate song. It's more an anti-love song. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

"A simple prop to occupy my time..."
ShinyHappyPeople

UK

#5 Sep 24, 2011
the haul of records wrote:
<quoted text>
'The One I Love' is certainly no love song, but I wouldn't call it a hate song. It's more an anti-love song. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.
"A simple prop to occupy my time..."
Riigght..
Correct me if I'm wrong, this song is dedicated to someone he (in this case one of the songwriters Stipe) loved but.. he also use that person over and over just to occupy his time. I think this song is full of contradictions.

The lyrics are really "just that?" with one word in the chorus. But I get your point.

So okay, end of foot in my mouth.

(To the person who has all the time in the world giving reps to all posts in this thread - get a life!)
haul of records

Australia

#6 Sep 24, 2011
ShinyHappyPeople wrote:
<quoted text>

(To the person who has all the time in the world giving reps to all posts in this thread - get a life!)
???
Is this directed at me? If so, then why? If not, then all is cool.
ShinyHappyPeople

UK

#7 Sep 24, 2011
haul of records wrote:
<quoted text>
???
Is this directed at me? If so, then why? If not, then all is cool.
Relax. It's just for fun (killing time).
the haul of records

Australia

#8 Sep 24, 2011
ShinyHappyPeople wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax. It's just for fun (killing time).
No sweat. All is good.

REM are awesome and will be missed.

After all, what other band could give us 'South Central Rain?'
ShinyHappyPeople

UK

#9 Sep 24, 2011
the haul of records wrote:
<quoted text>
No sweat. All is good.
REM are awesome and will be missed.
After all, what other band could give us 'South Central Rain?'
...and 'Half A World Away'.

Cheers to REM.

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Stipe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the end of everything as we know it (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mary 1
R.E.M. song is a hit again (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sopranos Card Table 1
Bono Says U2 Is "Working on Three Albums at the... (Jan '12) Oct '12 Austin Allegro 26
Years of Refusal: 8 More '80s Icons Who Should ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Unfair Warning 1
Michael Stipe nude (Sep '11) Sep '11 Amanda 1
Micheal Stipe talks to Dave Gorman on Absolute ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 TimL 1
R.I.P. Vic Chesnutt, Songwriter: Another Casual... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Rick 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Michael Stipe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••