Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the Beatles?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 8, 2009, Associated Content story titled Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the Beatles?. In it, Associated Content reports that:

Who's the king of the three leading major players of the past half century? That is a tough one to decide, but one must consider carefully the accomplishments and the styles in order to make a conclusion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

shock

New York, NY

#3240 Oct 7, 2012
InDaHouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Kids these days are certainly not listening to Michael Jackson.
you're right my mistake, they're listening to elvis prestley.

“New year, more f'loon denial”

Since: Jul 10

Dark Recesses, Your Mind

#3241 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>you're right my mistake, they're listening to elvis prestley.
They aren't listening to Elvis Presley either. People should stop acting like either of them are popular with young people.

I will say that Elvis certainly was more popular three years after his death than Wacko is now. That's easy enough to find out with even the most basic of research.

That Elvis still has 100,000+ visitors to Graceland every year, and Wacko only has hundreds to Forest Lawn should tell you something - the main thing being that Wacko just isn't loved as much as a person (rather than an artist). Perhaps people don't like men who sleep with other people's sons.
King Elvis

Swansea, Australia

#3242 Oct 7, 2012
JLT wrote:
<quoted text>

This 1 billion claim was FIRST made Don Wardell, the product manager in charge of the Elvis catalogue at RCA in 1982.
The claim was FIRST made by Colonel Parker as a potential audience at the 1972 press conference announcing the show.

That is a fact.
King Elvis

Swansea, Australia

#3243 Oct 7, 2012
JLT wrote:
<quoted text>
And that 1billion Elvis sales was all a MYTH, such claim first appeared in an article in the 'Washington Post' on July 12, 1982 with RCA as its source.
This 1 billion claim was FIRST made by Don Wardell, the product manager of the Elvis catalogue at RCA in 1982. And it was during Don Wardell's tenure that the 1 billion claim first began to appear in 'Washington Post', then on the back of Elvis albums and in press releases. It was Don Wardell who publicised the "1billion sales" with NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION nor FACTS to prove them.
When BMG took over RCA, BMG tried and FAILED to get any kind of rational explanation from Don Wardell. In short, BMG found out that Don Cardwell HAD NO PROOF to back-up his claim. IT WAS ALL A LIE, a marketing propaganda to make the mindless people believe in the hype.
The sad thing is that that those in RCA and BMG who knew IT WAS ALL A LIE kept the case quite. They felt stuck with a claim that that had has been largely accepted by the media and the public. Chinese whispers, was how it was.
1982 was also the year Graceland opened to the public, so this 1billion sales MYTH was a good marketing strategy for Graceland. RCA apparently "decorated" Graceland with bogus record "Certifications".
So there goes the Elvis legacy - bogus, not just stealing from black culture. Let's face it, it he hadn't been white (racist times, people), would America call him the "King of Rock and Roll"?
Ignore my previous post, I though you were referring to the Aloha show.

Oh, and newsflash for ya ... RCA has documentation for Elvis' sales, hence the Guinness Book reference to him being the biggest seller of all time.
King Elvis

Swansea, Australia

#3245 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
there's only 2 reasons an artist don't travel internationally: afraid of flying or no fanbase. the only place elvis could perform was the US and Canada, he had no fan base anywhere else.
You idiot.

How many international No.1 hits did Elvis have?

How many fans flock from all of the fcking world to Graceland?

Elvis has memorial statues in 13 countries.

Elvis did his Aloha show partly because of the regular demand from overseas countries for him to go there.

Elvis has fanclubs all over the world, more than any other artist.

Check out the web - Google the fanclubs from all over the world.

Elvis had a No.1 hit in 25 countries in 2002.

You know nothing.
shock

New York, NY

#3246 Oct 7, 2012
InDaHouse wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't listening to Elvis Presley either. People should stop acting like either of them are popular with young people.
I will say that Elvis certainly was more popular three years after his death than Wacko is now. That's easy enough to find out with even the most basic of research.
That Elvis still has 100,000+ visitors to Graceland every year, and Wacko only has hundreds to Forest Lawn should tell you something - the main thing being that Wacko just isn't loved as much as a person (rather than an artist). Perhaps people don't like men who sleep with other people's sons.
okay, this is just a guess but judging by your dahouse moniker and pic i would say you're a hip-hopper which means you've forgotten the http for your usual forum. turn on your gps and it should steer you away from the music forum.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3247 Oct 7, 2012
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
MJ's market is still contemporary sounding despite it being outdated, whereas Elvis's market sounds dated. Those are their differences.
Elvis's best material doesn't sound dated. Only to the clueless.

But whatever.

Elvis had the remixes, "A Little Less Conversation" "Rubberneckin"

Both were #1 singles in 2002 and 2003 upon release.

They were featured on "Elvis 30 #1 Hits" and "Second To None"

A #1 CD and its #3 follow up....

This was 9 and 10 years ago.

MJ hasn't had a contemporary hit #1 record since "You Are Not Alone"

That was back in 1995.
shock

New York, NY

#3248 Oct 7, 2012
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiot.
How many international No.1 hits did Elvis have?
How many fans flock from all of the fcking world to Graceland?
Elvis has memorial statues in 13 countries.
Elvis did his Aloha show partly because of the regular demand from overseas countries for him to go there.
Elvis has fanclubs all over the world, more than any other artist.
Check out the web - Google the fanclubs from all over the world.
Elvis had a No.1 hit in 25 countries in 2002.
You know nothing.
how many international hits? you tell me, you're the fan. having hits overseas obviously don't tell the whole story. you can't explain why he didn't travel beyond Canada. why even bother to go to Canada? was it that he didn't appreciate his many millions of fans overseas? as for graceland, i seriously doubt they travel that far just for graceland. it's just part of their tour. you wouldn't happen to be an alcoholic would you, because you've got name calling down to a science.
shock

New York, NY

#3249 Oct 7, 2012
why are elvis fans soooooo angry?

Location hidden

#3250 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>octo, octo, octo. the 60's are over, stop drinking the kool-aid. people no longer believe the falsehoods. the only reason elvis name is still mentioned is because you guys keep forcing him on your kids and forbidding them to listen to what everyone else is listening to; MICHAEL JACKSON! as for the billboards, it's a re-issue and they never do as well as new releases, that includes elvis. oh and that band, it's clear to me they don't have the chops to tackle MJ's music, they would only embarrass themselves. his music is far more challenging than elvis or the beatles music. his music is to complex-ed. it takes a much better voice and instrumentation(can you imagine them trying to play "Beat It" with Eddie Van Halen's solo?) don't make me laugh so hard, it'll upset my stomach.
Please.

The only falsehoods are that MJ fans still believe in Jacko's lies.

No one is listening to Michael Jackson because he was a pedophile.

Taking pre-recorded dance beats to vocals are not that complex.

It is a dime a dozen made by people who can't play instruments.

Eddie Van Halen's gutiar solo was recorded in another studio.

It is an overdub.

"Beat It" was quite overplayed at the time but has since dated.

It it old pre teen pop from the eighties.

It is now 2012 going into 2013.
King Elvis

Swansea, Australia

#3251 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>how many international hits? you tell me, you're the fan. having hits overseas obviously don't tell the whole story. you can't explain why he didn't travel beyond Canada. why even bother to go to Canada? was it that he didn't appreciate his many millions of fans overseas? as for graceland, i seriously doubt they travel that far just for graceland. it's just part of their tour. you wouldn't happen to be an alcoholic would you, because you've got name calling down to a science.
Another thing, dipshit.

Elvis The Concert is now on a SOLD OUT tour of South America. It's been travelling the WORLD for years, selling out every time. So much for your dumbass theory that Elvis has no overseas fanbase.

Elvis never went overseas for many reasons; mainly at the behest of The Colonel. He wanted to go, but didn't have the guts to push for it. He should have.

No fan base overseas? Please.

He received regular offers to play England, Europe and everywhere else; that is FACT. The Colonel nixed them.

If you were alive in 1977, you'd have seen the worldwide grief over his death - front page news in every country. That is a fact.

Thousands of fans travel to Memphis from overseas every year, just to see his house. Meanwhile, Wacko's dead for three years, and he couldn't even attract two dogs and a horse.

You're not an Elvis fan, so why pollute this forum with your crap?

Just go, troll.
King Elvis

Swansea, Australia

#3252 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>how many international hits? you tell me, you're the fan..
More than Wacko.

Look it up.

Location hidden

#3254 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>Michael didn't have to do thousands of concerts for his music to sell, elvis had no choice. when you have each album selling many millions each, you can afford to chill. elvis never sold more than 1 million each. btw, here is a painful fact for you. there's only 2 reasons an artist don't travel internationally: afraid of flying or no fanbase. the only place elvis could perform was the US and Canada, he had no fan base anywhere else.
Elvis's updated tally of albums as of recent certifications:

90 Gold
50 Platinum
25 Multi-Platinum
2 Diamond

And counting...

Elvis fans came to him when he played in Las Vegas 1969-1976.

Nearly 900 sold out shows in a row.

Fans traveling from all over the world to Las Vegas to see Elvis.

You lose again.
shock

New York, NY

#3255 Oct 7, 2012
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis's best material doesn't sound dated. Only to the clueless.
But whatever.
Elvis had the remixes, "A Little Less Conversation" "Rubberneckin"
Both were #1 singles in 2002 and 2003 upon release.
They were featured on "Elvis 30 #1 Hits" and "Second To None"
A #1 CD and its #3 follow up....
This was 9 and 10 years ago.
MJ hasn't had a contemporary hit #1 record since "You Are Not Alone"
That was back in 1995.
" a little less cussing" and "redneckin", what kind of titles are those? anyway, weren't you guys warned about making stuff up? you're such a liiiiar. that's how elvis became so big. if he was as good as you say, you wouldn't have to lie for him. Michael had 5 #1 hits after "You are not alone".
shock

New York, NY

#3256 Oct 7, 2012
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Please.
The only falsehoods are that MJ fans still believe in Jacko's lies.
No one is listening to Michael Jackson because he was a pedophile.
Taking pre-recorded dance beats to vocals are not that complex.
It is a dime a dozen made by people who can't play instruments.
Eddie Van Halen's gutiar solo was recorded in another studio.
It is an overdub.
"Beat It" was quite overplayed at the time but has since dated.
It it old pre teen pop from the eighties.
It is now 2012 going into 2013.
you're obviously out of ammo. pre-recorded dance beats? you're thinking about in da,da,da, house. Michael had real top notch musicians on record and on stage and everyone knows that. that cw band you saw simply couldn't cut it. Eddie's solo recorded in another studio? you clearly don't know what you're talking about. time for you to close shop.

Location hidden

#3257 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>" a little less cussing" and "redneckin", what kind of titles are those? anyway, weren't you guys warned about making stuff up? you're such a liiiiar. that's how elvis became so big. if he was as good as you say, you wouldn't have to lie for him. Michael had 5 #1 hits after "You are not alone".
No he didn't.

Jacko destroyed his career by acting like an idiot and faded away.

If he had 5 #1's after "You Are Not Alone" you'd name them...

Let's hear the titles of his 5 #1 songs you try to make up.

We already know they don't exist.

"Earth Song" was a European release only.(which is we know about)

It was never played in the US.

BTW, Elvis's "A Little Less Conversation" was a worldwide smash.

It sold 6 million copies in the US alone, 25 years after his death.

Wacko's post death releases have been all failures.

And "Bad 25" continues that downward spiral.

He shouldn't have molested Jordan Chandler and paid him off...

Jealous much?
shock

New York, NY

#3258 Oct 7, 2012
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Another thing, dipshit.
Elvis The Concert is now on a SOLD OUT tour of South America. It's been travelling the WORLD for years, selling out every time. So much for your dumbass theory that Elvis has no overseas fanbase.
Elvis never went overseas for many reasons; mainly at the behest of The Colonel. He wanted to go, but didn't have the guts to push for it. He should have.
No fan base overseas? Please.
He received regular offers to play England, Europe and everywhere else; that is FACT. The Colonel nixed them.
If you were alive in 1977, you'd have seen the worldwide grief over his death - front page news in every country. That is a fact.
Thousands of fans travel to Memphis from overseas every year, just to see his house. Meanwhile, Wacko's dead for three years, and he couldn't even attract two dogs and a horse.
You're not an Elvis fan, so why pollute this forum with your crap?
Just go, troll.
yeah, they must be doing clubs because i haven't heard or read about it. as far as a fanbase that's bs, you can't prove any of that and the colonel ain't talkin. i even read an article after Michael's death where people in Japan said they didn't give a s@#$T about elvis, but they love MJ. i was alive and well in '77 and i remember people in my community not givin a damn. nah, you don't want me to leave, your education stops when i leave.

Location hidden

#3259 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>you're obviously out of ammo. pre-recorded dance beats? you're thinking about in da,da,da, house. Michael had real top notch musicians on record and on stage and everyone knows that. that cw band you saw simply couldn't cut it. Eddie's solo recorded in another studio? you clearly don't know what you're talking about. time for you to close shop.
Dude, I've heard Eddie Van Halen's "Beat It" without vocals.

It is a well known studio outtake bootleg recording.

Eddie recorded it at his own studio and mailed it in to Quincy Jones.

Thriller was entirely recorded using massive overdubbing.

MJ couldn't play one single instrument nor with musicians.

Sorry to shatter your inflated illusion of Jacko The Clown.

He was a hack.
shock

New York, NY

#3260 Oct 7, 2012
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
No he didn't.
Jacko destroyed his career by acting like an idiot and faded away.
If he had 5 #1's after "You Are Not Alone" you'd name them...
Let's hear the titles of his 5 #1 songs you try to make up.
We already know they don't exist.
"Earth Song" was a European release only.(which is we know about)
It was never played in the US.
BTW, Elvis's "A Little Less Conversation" was a worldwide smash.
It sold 6 million copies in the US alone, 25 years after his death.
Wacko's post death releases have been all failures.
And "Bad 25" continues that downward spiral.
He shouldn't have molested Jordan Chandler and paid him off...
Jealous much?
"Earth Song" is from the "History" album, it counts."You Rock My World","Break Of Dawn","One More Chance","Ben"(l ive version from '03). making stuff up is what elvis fans do.
King Elvis

Swansea, Australia

#3261 Oct 7, 2012
shock wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, they must be doing clubs because i haven't heard or read about it. as far as a fanbase that's bs, you can't prove any of that and the colonel ain't talkin. i even read an article after Michael's death where people in Japan said they didn't give a s@#$T about elvis, but they love MJ. i was alive and well in '77 and i remember people in my community not givin a damn. nah, you don't want me to leave, your education stops when i leave.
They're playing in huge stadiums, dickwipe.

Look it up, troll.

And do give us the link to the article you mentioned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michael Jackson's Heal The World Girl Grew Up T... 31 min Pop Tart- 72
News Judge to Decide if Jackson Accuser Can Sue Estate 42 min Pop Tart- 143
News Michael Jackson treadmill routine blows your wo... 1 hr goodvibrations 3
News Michael Jackson went to great lengths for stran... 1 hr goodvibrations 10
News You've Been Shot by a Smooth Photographer: The ... 7 hr Juniper 1
News Chris Crofton, Advice King: The Merits of Colle... 7 hr January 69
Tatum O'Neal's relationship with Michael Jackson. (Aug '07) 7 hr Holliday 416
Child Molestation Expert: Victims Can Take 20 t... 7 hr Fresia 450
More from around the web