Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvi...

Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the Beatles?

There are 7219 comments on the Associated Content story from Jul 8, 2009, titled Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the Beatles?. In it, Associated Content reports that:

Who's the king of the three leading major players of the past half century? That is a tough one to decide, but one must consider carefully the accomplishments and the styles in order to make a conclusion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

King Elvis

Kellyville, Australia

#3190 Oct 5, 2012
Jim wrote:
there is no documentary evidence proving just how many watched the concert and initial broadcast.
You've just shot yourself in the foot with that quote.

There's no evidence at all.

Do you not get it? The billion thing was quoted by Parker at the 1972 press conference as a POTENTIAL (and of course impossible) figure. Pure hucksterism and carny from ol' Tom.

The press ran with it. Elvis fans followed.

It went from potential to FACT, exaggerated over the years.

As great as Elvis was, do you seriously believe more people tuned in to Aloha than watch man landing on the friggin' MOON?

Come off it.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3191 Oct 5, 2012
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? I just posted a link written by someone else, so I'm obviously not the only one!
It is NOT possible that a billion watched Aloha ... unless every single set was tuned in, which they weren't.
It is a myth, uttered by The Colonel, and swallowed by Elvis fans for years.
Then how many people tuned in?

Really, did anyone challenge those numbers back in 1973?

I've been reading the same thing for 35 years.

Old habits die hard, don't they?

At this point, who cares?

It was still a very successful milestone in Elvis's career.
King Elvis

Kellyville, Australia

#3192 Oct 5, 2012
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then how many people tuned in?
Really, did anyone challenge those numbers back in 1973?
I've been reading the same thing for 35 years.
Old habits die hard, don't they?
At this point, who cares?
It was still a very successful milestone in Elvis's career.
Yes, people questioned the figures, but they were howled down by the fandom.

Absolute maximum would probably be 500 million, and that's being very generous.

Very.

Yes, it's still a milestone ... Elvis' final one. All downhill from there, sadly. He never looked as good again.
Jim

Blackwood, NJ

#3193 Oct 5, 2012
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You've just shot yourself in the foot with that quote.
There's no evidence at all.
Do you not get it? The billion thing was quoted by Parker at the 1972 press conference as a POTENTIAL (and of course impossible) figure. Pure hucksterism and carny from ol' Tom.
The press ran with it. Elvis fans followed.
It went from potential to FACT, exaggerated over the years.
As great as Elvis was, do you seriously believe more people tuned in to Aloha than watch man landing on the friggin' MOON?
Come off it.
What do you mean I just shot myself in the foot? Dumbass! I was simply being honest based on the information I researched and therefore agreed with you. DUH!

Try to pay attention next time!

Psycho!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3194 Oct 5, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean I just shot myself in the foot? Dumbass! I was simply being honest based on the information I researched and therefore agreed with you. DUH!
Psycho!
Yeah he likes to argue, be smartest guy in the room ! I think he turns all red and his veins pop out!
King Elvis

Kellyville, Australia

#3195 Oct 5, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Psycho!
Apologies, I thought you were the same Jim.

Now retract the psycho comment.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3198 Oct 6, 2012
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, The Beatles did "All You Need Is Love" by satellite.
But it was just one song.
In 1973, they had shows like "All In The Family" on television.
What Elvis did in Hawaii was really a TV Special presented live.
I'm not claiming that everybody watched it but it was a big event.
There was no internet, cell phones or DVD players.
I think some people had push button cable if I remember correctly.
It wasn't like it is today though with hundreds of channels.
For sure, Elvis fans watched it and non fans probably did to.
It was because full concerts weren't usually shown on television.
It was unheard of.
I don't believe so many people would have watched it because many people didn't even own a television back then in a lot of countries.
shock

New York, NY

#3199 Oct 6, 2012
hey octo, this Michael Jackson cd-dvd is rocking. hurry up, rush back to walmart for your copy if they aren't already gone. and if they are gone tell walmart you want your Michael Jackson and you want it NOW. they will order it on the spot. i know people who order from them and their order comes asap. oh btw, make sure you buy the $35.88 package with all the unreleased goodies, guaranteed to transport you to musical bliss!

Since: Jul 10

Germany

#3200 Oct 6, 2012
J-J-Jina Wild wrote:
<quoted text>
ALERT ALERT
That racist bastard has taken your username and said this too
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/au/melbourne/TP1J5...
Bloody hell, GV. You need to get topix to look into that account, what with you being so offended by racism and all.
If that innocuous comment of Hunja's (about your nose) upset your anti racist sensitivites to the point where you felt compelled to labour it for days and days, this one must break your stone cold heart.
Ouch!
It speak volumes that she don't even tries to vindicate her words(and still have her stupid pic with the gigantic eyebrows up).Seems it is normal for her to say stuff like that.

Well,now everyone knows how a racist b*tch looks like.

Has any f'loon complain about her statements yet?I mean they have to represented MJ's message "Heal the World" or not?

Location hidden

#3201 Oct 6, 2012
Hunja wrote:
<quoted text>
It speak volumes that she don't even tries to vindicate her words(and still have her stupid pic with the gigantic eyebrows up).Seems it is normal for her to say stuff like that.
Well,now everyone knows how a racist b*tch looks like.
Has any f'loon complain about her statements yet?I mean they have to represented MJ's message "Heal the World" or not?
If you had of cared to read that topic forum'India unimpressed by racist jokes in Australia and New Zealand'
Yes JOKES but then you aren't an Australian:-(

By the way did you notice I never made a slur against their skin color of facial features. Yes I do have the bushy eyebrows by choice just as I have my picture out instead of hiding like some little coward in that tired avatar of yours. Sheesh even Jina gives hers a regular overall.

Continue with your babble.

An NFL Fan

“Brevity is the soule of wit”

Since: May 09

USA

#3202 Oct 6, 2012
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had of cared to read that topic forum'India unimpressed by racist jokes in Australia and New Zealand'
Face it. You've been caught, racist.

Location hidden

#3203 Oct 6, 2012
An NFL Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Face it. You've been caught, racist.
No, not caught out because I wasn't hiding. I am not a Nic switching troll like you.

This Indian is from Australia and has a great sense of humour too. Unlike you:-(

He is so cool:)
JLT

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#3204 Oct 6, 2012
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair, the viewership was nowhere near one billion; just another myth from The Colonel.
Sadly, this stupid myth has been perpetuated ro years.
http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-aloha...
And that 1billion Elvis sales was all a MYTH, such claim first appeared in an article in the 'Washington Post' on July 12, 1982 and quoted RCA as its source.

This 1 billion claim was FIRST made Don Wardell, the product manager in charge of the Elvis catalogue at RCA in 1982. And it was during Don Wardell's tenure that the 'Washington Post' claim first began to appear, plus on the back of Elvis albums and in press releases. It was Don Wardell who publicised the "1billion sales" with NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION nor FACTS to prove them.

When BMG took over RCA, BMG tried and FAILED to get any kind of rational explanation from Don Wardell. In short, BMG found out that Don Cardwell HAD NO PROOF to back-up his claim. IT WAS ALL A LIE, a marketing propaganada to make the mindless people believe in the hype.

The sad thing is that that those in RCA and BMG who knew IT WAS ALL A LIE kept the case quite. They felt stuck with a claim that that had has been largely accepted by much of the media and the fans. Chinese whispers, was how it was.

1982 was also the year Graceland opened to the public, so this 1billion sales MYTH was a good marketing strategy for Graceland. RCA apparently "decorated" Graceland with bogus record "Certifications".

JLT

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#3205 Oct 6, 2012
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
The real fact is that all of those people have more talent in their little fingers that what Elvis could ever have had.
The only people keeping the Elvis machine going are oldies who are on the verge of dying out soon.
Elvis never invented rock and roll and never wrote the music, despite making a lot of money from it. His bigot fans crowned him the King of rock and roll though and Elvis bathed in the glory.
He will go down in history as the man that took over black music for a discriminatory, white society because they refused to listen to its black creators.
And that 1billion Elvis sales was all a MYTH, such claim first appeared in an article in the 'Washington Post' on July 12, 1982 with RCA as its source.

This 1 billion claim was FIRST made by Don Wardell, the product manager of the Elvis catalogue at RCA in 1982. And it was during Don Wardell's tenure that the 1 billion claim first began to appear in 'Washington Post', then on the back of Elvis albums and in press releases. It was Don Wardell who publicised the "1billion sales" with NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION nor FACTS to prove them.

When BMG took over RCA, BMG tried and FAILED to get any kind of rational explanation from Don Wardell. In short, BMG found out that Don Cardwell HAD NO PROOF to back-up his claim. IT WAS ALL A LIE, a marketing propaganda to make the mindless people believe in the hype.

The sad thing is that that those in RCA and BMG who knew IT WAS ALL A LIE kept the case quite. They felt stuck with a claim that that had has been largely accepted by the media and the public. Chinese whispers, was how it was.

1982 was also the year Graceland opened to the public, so this 1billion sales MYTH was a good marketing strategy for Graceland. RCA apparently "decorated" Graceland with bogus record "Certifications".

So there goes the Elvis legacy - bogus, not just stealing from black culture. Let's face it, it he hadn't been white (racist times, people), would America call him the "King of Rock and Roll"?

Location hidden

#3206 Oct 7, 2012
JLT wrote:
<quoted text>
And that 1billion Elvis sales was all a MYTH, such claim first appeared in an article in the 'Washington Post' on July 12, 1982 with RCA as its source.
This 1 billion claim was FIRST made by Don Wardell, the product manager of the Elvis catalogue at RCA in 1982. And it was during Don Wardell's tenure that the 1 billion claim first began to appear in 'Washington Post', then on the back of Elvis albums and in press releases. It was Don Wardell who publicised the "1billion sales" with NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION nor FACTS to prove them.
When BMG took over RCA, BMG tried and FAILED to get any kind of rational explanation from Don Wardell. In short, BMG found out that Don Cardwell HAD NO PROOF to back-up his claim. IT WAS ALL A LIE, a marketing propaganda to make the mindless people believe in the hype.
The sad thing is that that those in RCA and BMG who knew IT WAS ALL A LIE kept the case quite. They felt stuck with a claim that that had has been largely accepted by the media and the public. Chinese whispers, was how it was.
So there goes the Elvis legacy - bogus, not just stealing from black culture. Let's face it, it he hadn't been white (racist times, people), would America call him the "King of Rock and Roll"?
Thanks for the very informative feedback.

I knew that it was. During the 50s and 60s human population was not near as big as today. Technology was very expensive so not many could afford it and not every one was connected to power.

The Elvis machine is generating more money than it ever did when he was alive. Oldies are buying his very cheap cds. Young people don't buy cds because they download music.

Much appreciated. ROFL

Neuenkirchen, Germany

#3211 Oct 7, 2012
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way did you notice I never made a slur against their skin color of facial features. Yes I do have the bushy eyebrows by choice just as I have my picture out instead of hiding like some little coward in that tired avatar of yours. Sheesh even Jina gives hers a regular overall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dh6mnMQ6IOEXX
Why again did Topix delete some of your comments?

"Yes I do have the bushy eyebrows by choice"
One of many bad choices you made.

Neuenkirchen, Germany

#3212 Oct 7, 2012
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not caught out because I wasn't hiding. I am not a Nic switching troll like you.
Would be interesting what other account NFL has.Think you are the only one who knows about it - probably not even NFL knows about his other account.
Enlighten us !

Location hidden

#3213 Oct 7, 2012
A-CODE O2o wrote:
Is this important , I wonder.
Elvis was Elvis
Michael Jackson became a completely different concept.
Neither of them would want to compare anything,
and heaven dont measure any task or achievement by numbers.

I'm just asying.

J***
Haterz measure, count & calculate every little MJ related thing and try to turn it bad.
Jina Wild

Cambridge, UK

#3214 Oct 7, 2012
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dh6mnMQ6IOEXX
I don't suppose you have any great need to pluck your eyebrows given that you sepnd most of the time with your head hidden beneath a white sheet.

By the way, how come your appearance changes so frequently? You've had more face changes than Wacko.
Jina Wild

Cambridge, UK

#3215 Oct 7, 2012
A-CODE O2o wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey GV! what is this shit with you being a racist toward indians all of a sudden? I've been pasted some quotations - that do sound fiercely'racist - but so xtreme that I thought it to havebeen twisted,-taken out of humourous context or that someone had written shoit using your nic. Since the opposition ask directly what fans (NOT a fan - but SUPPORTER myself) think of your socalled racist remarks being pro-michael and all -
I have of course said that I take distance to such statements - but I stil have a hard time believing you'd seroiusly have something against any race,- so - what happened?- just briefly?
Like I said to the first posts concerning yr new staus as a racist (:p)- Something must have gotten Twisted. Am I right?
And who's that dude you were with in a cab , someone special? ;)!
Read the page and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.topix.com/forum/au/melbourne/TP1J5...

This quote of hers has been removed

"Every other race on this planet is unique, except for Indians because they have turned themselves into vermin. You would be all inbreeding without even knowing it"

but this one remains

"Trash is excess numbers of a particular race, Indians are definitely not unique. A few million gone would never be missed. "

Nobody with any intelligence would ever interpret that crap as comedic.

Uh-oh. I sense a stumbling block.:-(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands will arrive at Forrest Lawn for Pedop... 20 hr The Power Of Mast... 9
Why was Michael Jackson's son dyed when he was ... (Aug '09) Fri Spotted Wee 32
Rabid's have been stalking Paris for yrs & hara... Jun 22 Spotted Wee 3
Wade robson paid by illuminati Jun 22 Sleepingboy 12
Open Letter to Anti Fans: Michael Jackson was t... (Mar '15) Jun 22 Spotted Wee 127
Major troll MJsAngel is off the charts insane l... Jun 21 Spotted Wee 4
The Crickets Chirp On The Dead Michael Jackson ... (Jun '15) Jun 21 Spotted Wee 68
More from around the web