Origins of the Moonwalk

Apr 24, 2014 Full story: Richard's Notes 137

I don't care if Michael Jackson invented the moonwalk or anything, his performances were incredible and he was an original.

Full Story

“It's all lies”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#21 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
"Rock Around The Clock" was Bill Haley's "Thriller" but it was only one song. It was featured in 1955's "Blackboard Jungle" film and waa played as the theme song that begun the classic 1970's television series, "Happy Days" It sold twenty-five million copies to date. Poor example of Rock N Roll? Bill Halely did nothing to be ashamed of. He helped popularize rock and exposed the music by doing his version of r&b. His older age is pointless. Michael on the other hand has a soiled legacy and he obviously stolen a lot of other people's ideas without giving them proper credit. The true dancers of the moonwalk credited it first. Unfortunately for Wacko, the clown never counted on You Tube and the internet putting up these old clips that discount his claims time and time again. The clown definitely was a compulsive liar, a thief and a fraud.
Have a good look at him. He looked like those teens dad not their idol. You have to have the whole package to succeed. Poor Bill didn't ;(

Comparing him to MJ is dumb ridiculous.

“It's all lies”

Location hidden

#22 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
"Rock Around The Clock" was Bill Haley's "Thriller" but it was only one song. It was featured in 1955's "Blackboard Jungle" film and waa played as the theme song that begun the classic 1970's television series, "Happy Days" It sold twenty-five million copies to date. Poor example of Rock N Roll? Bill Halely did nothing to be ashamed of. He helped popularize rock and exposed the music by doing his version of r&b. His older age is pointless. Michael on the other hand has a soiled legacy and he obviously stolen a lot of other people's ideas without giving them proper credit. The true dancers of the moonwalk credited it first. Unfortunately for Wacko, the clown never counted on You Tube and the internet putting up these old clips that discount his claims time and time again. The clown definitely was a compulsive liar, a thief and a fraud.
OMG! Bill Haley looks like a pedophile around those little girls. Ewwwwww!

Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#23 Apr 28, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a good look at him. He looked like those teens dad not their idol. You have to have the whole package to succeed. Poor Bill didn't ;(
Comparing him to MJ is dumb ridiculous.
Bill Haley was what he was. "Rock Around The Clock" sold twenty-five million copies. Obviously, Bill did not have to be the whole package to succeed. The man has been dead since 1980. I never compared Bill Haley to Michael Jackson. However, "Rock Around The Clock" was a massive seller way before "Thriller" Of course that would upset you because it is just another long list of things Wacko did not do first...
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#24 Apr 28, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OPsixkWC-rEXX
Comparing him to MJ is dumb and ridiculous.

Though the old clip is a bit strange with some guy on the right dancing with one of the little girls, it has nothing to do with Bill Haley. Why do floons always accuse long dead rock stars as being pedophiles when nothing was ever there? They are long dead. If something was there, it would have been told on them when they were still alive.

Little girls liked rock n roll in the fifties.
I Am Here To Sort You Out

Edinburgh, UK

#25 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus, what is this obsession with coming first? A gentleman never comes first.

“Just havin' a little fun!”

Since: Apr 10

Hollywood, CA

#26 Apr 28, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OPsixkWC-rEXX
Bill Haley had a severe drinking problem, along with other issues, but a pedophile he was not.
The young girls are cute, aren't they?
I Am Here To Sort You Out

Edinburgh, UK

#27 Apr 28, 2014
goodvibrations, Bill Haley looks nothing of the sort. That's your unfounded interpretation of what you are looking at. It all looks very innocent to me. The dancing with the children is not sexual in any way. It's more like what a father, and daughter would do at home in the front room, in front of relatives at a family gathering.

“Just havin' a little fun!”

Since: Apr 10

Hollywood, CA

#28 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Haley was what he was. "Rock Around The Clock" sold twenty-five million copies. Obviously, Bill did not have to be the whole package to succeed. The man has been dead since 1980. I never compared Bill Haley to Michael Jackson. However, "Rock Around The Clock" was a massive seller way before "Thriller" Of course that would upset you because it is just another long list of things Wacko did not do first...
There were other hits as well, like 'Shake, Rattle and Roll','See You Later, Alligator','Razzle Dazzle', but 'Rock Around the Clock' was by far his greatest hit.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#29 Apr 28, 2014
Pop Tart- wrote:
<quoted text>
There were other hits as well, like 'Shake, Rattle and Roll','See You Later, Alligator','Razzle Dazzle', but 'Rock Around the Clock' was by far his greatest hit.
I am aware of some of Bill Haley's other hit songs but what amazed me is that he kept recording and doing concerts up until his death in 1981.(I previously thought it was 1980 that he died) I was listening to a track on You Tube called, "Let The Good Times Roll Again" from 1979 and Bill sounded great. I've read that Bill Haley died of a brain tumor but very little is known about his private life. His biography is ripe for a rock n roll movie like they have already done for Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ray Charles and Johnny Cash. I'd go see the film.

And while they are at it, someone should make a rock movie on Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent also.

Since: Jun 13

Wilson, NC

#30 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
The roaring twenties were a wild decade for freedom of expression in music and dance. Actually, I believe rock n roll came from the blues. It was stripped down to the core emotion and subject matter started by Robert Johnson in his lyrics. He probably wouldn't be called rock but the pure elements of rock is still there. It just was born from different influences of blues, ragtime, country, gospel and even jazz because of the guitar. Rock n roll was great because it could be whatever you wanted it to be. That is why it kept evolving as time went on.
I argue what Robert started was the delta blues movement or was one of progenitors and whom later inspired blues-rock artists in and outside the states. Whereas rock and roll was more "rhythm" (meaning drums and such) and blues... so in that essence, you could credit Louis Jordan or Roy Brown for that.

Wilson, NC

#31 Apr 28, 2014
Stormageddon wrote:
Who even does the Moonwalk anymore...
Unless they're a breakdancer, I doubt anyone else really does the moonwalk and the backslide (MJ popularized the latter but incorrectly labeled it the moonwalk).

Wilson, NC

#32 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I am aware of some of Bill Haley's other hit songs but what amazed me is that he kept recording and doing concerts up until his death in 1981.(I previously thought it was 1980 that he died) I was listening to a track on You Tube called, "Let The Good Times Roll Again" from 1979 and Bill sounded great. I've read that Bill Haley died of a brain tumor but very little is known about his private life. His biography is ripe for a rock n roll movie like they have already done for Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ray Charles and Johnny Cash. I'd go see the film.
And while they are at it, someone should make a rock movie on Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent also.
Bill didn't have a brain tumor. He did have mental issues and problems with alcohol. Go find that article on Bill Haley's family discussing this. Shows you the psyche of the great rock and roll pioneer in the days before his death.

“It's all lies”

Location hidden

#33 Apr 28, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing him to MJ is dumb and ridiculous.
Though the old clip is a bit strange with some guy on the right dancing with one of the little girls, it has nothing to do with Bill Haley. Why do floons always accuse long dead rock stars as being pedophiles when nothing was ever there? They are long dead. If something was there, it would have been told on them when they were still alive.
Little girls liked rock n roll in the fifties.
It looks like little girls had to endure a lot during the 1950s ;-(

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#34 Apr 28, 2014
It seems that someone who danced as good as Michael Jackson had to have some dance lessons* he must of learned from different people.

“Dark Lord of All”

The Time Vortex

#35 Apr 28, 2014
BadMan84 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless they're a breakdancer, I doubt anyone else really does the moonwalk and the backslide (MJ popularized the latter but incorrectly labeled it the moonwalk).
Interesting. I remember breakdancing was a huge craze, but didn't realize people were still doing it.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#36 Apr 28, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like little girls had to endure a lot during the 1950s ;-(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =e8-CKwqQxREXX
A lot of blues and rock acts covered "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" However, the original was recorded by Sonny Boy Williamson I in 1937. Chicago blues. I really fail to see your point because it was written when it was acceptable to court young girls and marry a virgin. You are going back too far in different eras. Of course, Wacko wasn't from that era and he was not keeping Brett Barnes, Jordan Chandler, Wade Robson and others for marriage. It is interesting that many different artists covered the song over the years including Muddy Waters, BB King, Chuck Berry, The Yardbirds and The Grateful Dead. It has never been a favorite song of mine but it is kind of like picking on Chuck Berry for writing "Sweet Little Sixteen" "Sweet Little Rock N Roller" and "Little Queenie" Today, it is just a different era. Does that mean that the clown should be let off the hook for child molestation because some people imagine that there was a whole lotta shakin' goin on in the thirties to sixties?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#37 Apr 28, 2014
Easy to study dance from video today but what did MJ have access to? There wasn't even VHS tape to pop in a VCR to play over and over in late 60's or early 70's.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#38 Apr 28, 2014
BadMan84 wrote:
<quoted text>
I argue what Robert started was the delta blues movement or was one of progenitors and whom later inspired blues-rock artists in and outside the states. Whereas rock and roll was more "rhythm" (meaning drums and such) and blues... so in that essence, you could credit Louis Jordan or Roy Brown for that.
Louis Jordan and Roy Brown were really good but I think rock n roll could still be traced back to the thirties. I was listening to Robert Johnson on You Tube and I can definitely hear Hendrix. Of course Robert Johnson only had his acoustic guitar but I think it was a progression of different styles. I still like Ike Turner's "Rocket 88" better than Bill Haley's 1951 cover version.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#39 Apr 28, 2014
BadMan84 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill didn't have a brain tumor. He did have mental issues and problems with alcohol. Go find that article on Bill Haley's family discussing this. Shows you the psyche of the great rock and roll pioneer in the days before his death.
I have read in books that Bill died from a brain tumor. I never realized that he may of had mental issues and problems with alcohol. He would make an interesting subject for a biographical film on his life. I know so little about Bill Haley and The Comets.

Wilson, NC

#40 Apr 29, 2014
^ I think it's because they don't think he's that interesting to the public (they're wrong but whatever) since he didn't look as cool as Bo Diddley or Chuck (who like I said before was only a year younger than he was) or as sexy and dangerous as Elvis, Little Richard (lots of women found his androgyny and wild antics a turn on) and Jerry Lee Lewis or as cute as Buddy Holly. But Mr. Haley led one interesting life. Lived in Mexico for almost a decade and made some good bucks performing Mexican songs with his band before returning to the states. Bill was also the first of the early rock and rollers to tour overseas on his own (a good portion sadly incited riots, not on the part of Haley but on the unruly audiences) and also owned record labels and publishing companies so he was never short on cash unless a manager ripped him off. Bill's son wrote a book on him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elvis Presley Jokey Jokes 4 MJfans 4 min Jermaine 7 489
What REALLY went on at Studio 54...?? 1 hr Jermaine 7 12
Krackerjacks is back! 1 hr Jermaine 7 17
The 8 worst Michael Jackson duets 2 hr Jermaine 7 119
Michael Jackson Talks Perfection, God in Odd 'B... 2 hr Jermaine 7 64
Michael Jackson was a good man... 2 hr Jermaine 7 33
Did Mj have a sexual relationship w an adult ma... 2 hr Jermaine 7 116

Michael Jackson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE