Origins of the Moonwalk

Apr 24, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Richard's Notes

I don't care if Michael Jackson invented the moonwalk or anything, his performances were incredible and he was an original.

Comments
1 - 20 of 137 Comments Last updated May 6, 2014
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“It's all lies”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2014

Judged:

Michael Jackson was influenced by all those dancers and added his own personal touch to dance and singing. That's what made him a genius.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2014

Judged:

Too bad he didn't give credit to the Electric Boogaloos and to the three who actually taught it to him. Namely, Cooley Jaxson, Casper Candidate, and Jeffrey Daniel.

“It's all lies”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2014

Judged:

Len is Disgusted wrote:
Too bad he didn't give credit to the Electric Boogaloos and to the three who actually taught it to him. Namely, Cooley Jaxson, Casper Candidate, and Jeffrey Daniel.
Yes Daniel taught him and MJ gave him credit.

MJ was the best entertainer ever and this is why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“at yet more f'loonspin”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2014

Judged:

I watched that video, and Michael did not thank Jeffrey. It was Jeffrey paying tribute to Michael's work. Jeffrey also paid tribute to the Electric Boogaloos, who influenced him. When did Michael ever name Cooley Jaxson, Casper Candidate, and Jeffrey Daniel?

Here's the dance genius, for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Jun 13

Wilson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

He credited the moonwalk to "the kids" but these "kids" were about his age!
Octopus

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

I've seen old black and white clips of someone on film doing the moonwalk. I think it was Bill Bailey or someone like that. I could look it up again but why bother?

Michael can not be original if he simply copied something that was invented before. I believe it was called "The Backslide" Of course, floons are going to still think Wacko created it all by himself and not credit the true artists that did it way before he did.

Some genius.

“It's all lies”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Len is Disgusted wrote:
I watched that video, and Michael did not thank Jeffrey. It was Jeffrey paying tribute to Michael's work. Jeffrey also paid tribute to the Electric Boogaloos, who influenced him. When did Michael ever name Cooley Jaxson, Casper Candidate, and Jeffrey Daniel?

Here's the dance genius, for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
The fact that Daniel spoke so highly of MJ tells me that MJ did give him credit even if it was not in this video.

“It's all lies”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Octopus wrote:
I've seen old black and white clips of someone on film doing the moonwalk. I think it was Bill Bailey or someone like that. I could look it up again but why bother?

Michael can not be original if he simply copied something that was invented before. I believe it was called "The Backslide" Of course, floons are going to still think Wacko created it all by himself and not credit the true artists that did it way before he did.

Some genius.
MJ put his own interpretation on the move. This was a black man move just like Bill Hailey's music was.

Since: Mar 14

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

Yay! I forese another convoluted lecture on how the white man stole from the black man. Go girl!
Octopus

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
MJ put his own interpretation on the move. This was a black man move just like Bill Hailey's music was.
Bill Haley And The Comets were not really that bad of an early rock n roll group. Haley simply jumped onto the bandwagon performing the r&b circuit in the early fifties after being in country and western bands. However, he did not really sound like Little Richard or Fats Domino. To me, he sounded more like jumpin' blues and some of it was watered down for pop exposure. He capitalized on the new rock n roll movement and somehow still had has own style. Bill Haley is still interesting. Bill Haley lost popularity fairly quickly in the US but was still in demand in Europe as as live act. He did not claim to have invented anything unlike Michael Jackson that did not give the true artists credit for doing the moonwalk first. Obviously, MJ did not mind being given credit of inventing a dance that already existed.

Why make it a black and white issue?

“It's all lies”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>Bill Haley And The Comets were not really that bad of an early rock n roll group. Haley simply jumped onto the bandwagon performing the r&b circuit in the early fifties after being in country and western bands. However, he did not really sound like Little Richard or Fats Domino. To me, he sounded more like jumpin' blues and some of it was watered down for pop exposure. He capitalized on the new rock n roll movement and somehow still had has own style. Bill Haley is still interesting. Bill Haley lost popularity fairly quickly in the US but was still in demand in Europe as as live act. He did not claim to have invented anything unlike Michael Jackson that did not give the true artists credit for doing the moonwalk first. Obviously, MJ did not mind being given credit of inventing a dance that already existed.

Why make it a black and white issue?
You forget MJ was a black man that danced like a black man. Bill Haley was too old for a culture that celebrated youth and rebellion. He was a poor example of Rock and Roll.
Octopus

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget MJ was a black man that danced like a black man. Bill Haley was too old for a culture that celebrated youth and rebellion. He was a poor example of Rock and Roll.
"Rock Around The Clock" was Bill Haley's "Thriller" but it was only one song. It was featured in 1955's "Blackboard Jungle" film and waa played as the theme song that begun the classic 1970's television series, "Happy Days" It sold twenty-five million copies to date. Poor example of Rock N Roll? Bill Halely did nothing to be ashamed of. He helped popularize rock and exposed the music by doing his version of r&b. His older age is pointless. Michael on the other hand has a soiled legacy and he obviously stolen a lot of other people's ideas without giving them proper credit. The true dancers of the moonwalk credited it first. Unfortunately for Wacko, the clown never counted on You Tube and the internet putting up these old clips that discount his claims time and time again. The clown definitely was a compulsive liar, a thief and a fraud.
Octopus

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

*was played...

Wilson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

"Rock Around the Clock" was written by two white men by the way. Most of the rock and roll classics save for Otis Blackwell and Chuck Berry were written by white men. Bill Haley, Elvis, Jerry Lee, etc., didn't steal anything. If Bill Haley was "too old", then so was Chuck Berry. They were only a year apart in age!

Wilson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

Oh yeah and here's some more history on Bill Haley:

He wrote his own rock hits ("Crazy Man Crazy"), which preceded Chuck Berry by over two years.

Oh and for someone to go on about someone old, was Big Joe Turner too old to be a rock and roll star when he became one in the mid-1950s? He over 45, I believe.

And Haley, speaking of early rock and roll, when he was making his hits, Chuck Berry was still splitting time between working on people's hair and performing with his band at St. Louis and East St. Louis nightclubs. Little Richard had just left his band and his label after failures and became a dishwasher for Greyhound. Of course we know Elvis was a truck driver after graduating from high school. This was in 1953. Rock and roll was considered "underground" before Haley. Remember that.
Octopus

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

BadMan84 wrote:
Oh yeah and here's some more history on Bill Haley:
He wrote his own rock hits ("Crazy Man Crazy"), which preceded Chuck Berry by over two years.
Oh and for someone to go on about someone old, was Big Joe Turner too old to be a rock and roll star when he became one in the mid-1950s? He over 45, I believe.
And Haley, speaking of early rock and roll, when he was making his hits, Chuck Berry was still splitting time between working on people's hair and performing with his band at St. Louis and East St. Louis nightclubs. Little Richard had just left his band and his label after failures and became a dishwasher for Greyhound. Of course we know Elvis was a truck driver after graduating from high school. This was in 1953. Rock and roll was considered "underground" before Haley. Remember that.
Bill Haley was great in his own right. He just did not have the wild look of a rock star but he did help expose rock n roll to a bigger audience much earlier. I do not think it should be a black and white issue. It is only music. It hit at the right place and the right time because teens wanted their own music that separated them from what their parents were listening to. It was all good. So Bill Haley And The Comets jumped on the bandwagon to do r&b inspired music? Once it exploded into the mainstream, other rockers both black and white started doing it as the demand for it rose. Actually, I can hear seeds of rock in Hank Williams even. It was considered country but Hank did some work that had a rockabilly feel to it like "Ramblin' Man" It was progression. A mix of different influences born from the marriage of country and blues.

Wilson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

Rock and roll itself by discussion is a complex issue. Hank Williams, imho, was the godfather of what later became rockabilly and this is what Bill Haley and the like picked up on. Like Williams, Haley and 'em were also inspired by R&B music. Chuck Berry himself mixed country, R&B and blues in many of his pioneering tracks while at the same time paving the way for modern rock music with his guitar licks. And yes it's all just music, forget the color in this instance.
Octopus

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

BadMan84 wrote:
Rock and roll itself by discussion is a complex issue. Hank Williams, imho, was the godfather of what later became rockabilly and this is what Bill Haley and the like picked up on. Like Williams, Haley and 'em were also inspired by R&B music. Chuck Berry himself mixed country, R&B and blues in many of his pioneering tracks while at the same time paving the way for modern rock music with his guitar licks. And yes it's all just music, forget the color in this instance.
The roaring twenties were a wild decade for freedom of expression in music and dance. Actually, I believe rock n roll came from the blues. It was stripped down to the core emotion and subject matter started by Robert Johnson in his lyrics. He probably wouldn't be called rock but the pure elements of rock is still there. It just was born from different influences of blues, ragtime, country, gospel and even jazz because of the guitar. Rock n roll was great because it could be whatever you wanted it to be. That is why it kept evolving as time went on.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that Daniel spoke so highly of MJ tells me that MJ did give him credit even if it was not in this video.
If you have a link to Michael thanking Jeffrey Daniel, please post it. I'd like to see it.

“Dark Lord of All”

The Time Vortex

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2014

Judged:

Who even does the Moonwalk anymore...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••