Michael Jackson: King Of Pop, Rock An...

Michael Jackson: King Of Pop, Rock And Soul--And Hip-Hop?

There are 56 comments on the Forbes.com story from Apr 16, 2014, titled Michael Jackson: King Of Pop, Rock And Soul--And Hip-Hop?. In it, Forbes.com reports that:

Though many refer to Michael Jackson simply as "The King of Pop," his full nickname-dreamed up by longtime pal Elizabeth Taylor-was "The King of Pop, Rock and Soul."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Forbes.com.

You wish

Avon, CT

#24 Apr 22, 2014
Michael I want you back wrote:
Michael the king of all music and entertainment
Jackson sent a memo to MTV requesting that VJs refer to him as The King of Pop in 1991. He was still the biggest star in music and the network owed him a debt of gratitude, so they went along with it.

complex.com
This happened just before the launch of “Black or White,” and any network that would show the 11-minute video had to agree to this request.
youtube.com
MTV VJs were required to call him The King of Pop at least twice a week and had to note when they did it, in case Jackson requested clips. Some hosts had to re-tape entire shows to work in the new nickname.

Michael called me one day and said,“I want to have a nickname, like ‘The Boss’ or ‘The King.’” I said,“Well, Bruce Springsteen is ‘The Boss,’ and Elvis Presley is ‘The King.’ You can’t be the King because you’ll never live it down. The press will rip you apart.” But Michael would not let this go. He hired his own personal publicist, Bob Jones. And one day, Bob issued a press release announcing that Michael Jackson was the King of Pop. Michael went rogue on us.
FOREVER MICHAEL

Croydon, UK

#25 Apr 23, 2014
What more can you ask for Michael Jackson has it all.hes the sexiest man in the world...ever,he has got the looks,the body, the voice,the Moves.hes amazing sweet gentle person,the king of dance
The king of pop ,rock,soul,hip hop. The music genius.the song writing genius.the film making genius.the incredible actor.director producer.and how beautiful he plays the piano.the worlds number one selling artist of all time,the greatest entertainer and showman the worlds ever known
He taught us so many life lessons through his music and songs .and many of the songs are personal to him.and all Michael's songs are strong
Emotional personal and very beautiful.
Theres no one in the world like Michael,there never
Has been and never will be.only one king of music dance film and enrertainment and thats Michael Jackson forever,MJ Just the most beautiful angel

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#26 Apr 23, 2014
You wish wrote:
<quoted text>Jackson sent a memo to MTV requesting that VJs refer to him as The King of Pop in 1991. He was still the biggest star in music and the network owed him a debt of gratitude, so they went along with it.

complex.com
This happened just before the launch of “Black or White,” and any network that would show the 11-minute video had to agree to this request.
youtube.com
MTV VJs were required to call him The King of Pop at least twice a week and had to note when they did it, in case Jackson requested clips. Some hosts had to re-tape entire shows to work in the new nickname.

Michael called me one day and said,“I want to have a nickname, like ‘The Boss’ or ‘The King.’” I said,“Well, Bruce Springsteen is ‘The Boss,’ and Elvis Presley is ‘The King.’ You can’t be the King because you’ll never live it down. The press will rip you apart.” But Michael would not let this go. He hired his own personal publicist, Bob Jones. And one day, Bob issued a press release announcing that Michael Jackson was the King of Pop. Michael went rogue on us.
MJ was the best that's why the music industry felt it owed him big time.
Michael I Want you back

Croydon, UK

#27 Apr 23, 2014
The funny thing was Michael never said a word that he was the king of pop.that was Elizabeth Taylor.and the fans carried it on.he was the best thats why everyone called him the king of pop
And nothing will never change thats what he will
Always be.the truth was he was the prince,king and
Angel.of the world.and he always will be.it dosent
Matter who says what Michael will always be the
King of music dance film and entertainment forever.
Rickey Bobby

North Kingstown, RI

#28 Apr 23, 2014
MICHAEL I WANT YOU BACK wrote:
<quoted text> we all want him back.thanks for what you said.and how amazing is the unrealeased song stay.hope it will be released
Its so beautiful.and the words are beautiful
Instead of waiting for him to never come back, why don't all of you join him if you miss him so much.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#29 Apr 23, 2014
Rickey Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>Instead of waiting for him to never come back, why don't all of you join him if you miss him so much.
There is no hurry because we will all meet up with him in the end. MJ was a creative genius that is highly respected by today's music industry.
Sebastian

Germany

#30 Apr 23, 2014
I´m not MJ´s Fans but I really miss MJ he´s a very talented singer
Michael I Want you back

UK

#31 Apr 23, 2014
Sebastian wrote:
I´m not MJ´s Fans but I really mis
s MJ he´s a very talented singer
yes he was a very talented singer.I think about Michael
All the time,I watch and listen to him every day
I think tonight I will watch the dvd History world tour in Munich.I Miss him so much.if any of the fans go on to the fan forum.and theres Missing you pages for Michael on there (fans only)and you can tell him how much you miss him.and it really helps
and its nice everyone can share their feelings.for Michael. Michael Jackson your'e always my angel
persephone

Sunnyvale, CA

#32 Apr 23, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no hurry because we will all meet up with him in the end. MJ was a creative genius that is highly respected by today's music industry.
Someone said that on the Other Side he performed those concerts he'd planned on doing. I like to think that he was healthy and strong and full of energy and became his true self.

“Evolution is fab!”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#33 Apr 23, 2014
Michael I Want you back wrote:
The funny thing was Michael never said a word that he was the king of pop.that was Elizabeth Taylor.and the fans carried it on.he was the best thats why everyone called him the king of pop
And nothing will never change thats what he will
Always be.the truth was he was the prince,king and
Angel.of the world.and he always will be.it dosent
Matter who says what Michael will always be the
King of music dance film and entertainment forever.
The fans carried on the title of King of Pop?

Now let me think what does pop music represent. Is it quality musicians playing their own instruments and singing live at concerts?

Or is it a never ending conveyor belt of manufactured beats and talentless singers whose careers are usually dead and buried within a few years?

Hmmm, I definitely think it's the second one.

*Laughter*
Michael I Want you back

Croydon, UK

#34 Apr 23, 2014
persephone wrote:
<quoted text> Someone said that on the Other Side he performed those concerts he'd planned on doing. I like to think that he was healthy and strong and full of energy and became his true self.
Michael's presence is everywhere.and we will see him again.Like the song on you tube Michael I miss you.the fans tributes to him the song rhat was playing over Michael video I will see you again
his spirit and presence is with us always.the most beautiful angel forever.Miss you Michael.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#36 Apr 23, 2014
Butterballs wrote:
<quoted text>
The fans carried on the title of King of Pop?
Now let me think what does pop music represent. Is it quality musicians playing their own instruments and singing live at concerts?
Or is it a never ending conveyor belt of manufactured beats and talentless singers whose careers are usually dead and buried within a few years?
Hmmm, I definitely think it's the second one.
*Laughter*
The recording industry changed years ago with the internet age of downloading music. It is just the reality of the current state of what people are willing to spend money on as entertainment. To me, I will not pay money to see lip syncing productions with dancers performing under flashing lights nor do I desire buying their crappy recordings. I am a forty-eight year old man that remembers growing up and seeing live bands. Because it seems the industry downsized to only support a few pop and modern country acts, it leaves very few new rock acts that can truly gain an audience. Maybe established classic rock acts that still manage to play but every year they get older and are not touring anymore. The industry decided long ago that they wanted to get rid of live music because what they view as illegal bootlegging of the shows. So in reality, it was greed that destroyed the creativity of quality music. Instead, it has become massed produced entertainment that saw the rise of American Idol and The X Factor. Michael Jackson lowered the standards of the music and its current acts in the business because the new generation has accepted being ripped off. I still want to hear rock n roll so I seek artists from mostly the past to listen to. None of the crap today is worth bothering with. I used to buy new music weekly in the eighties. Today, I very seldom buy a store bought cd or dvd unless it is something put out for the rock n roll collector of legendary performances of a band or artist for die hard fans.

“Waiting for f'loons to wake up”

Since: Dec 06

Goofybaboon's Not Listening

#37 Apr 23, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
The recording industry changed years ago with the internet age of downloading music. It is just the reality of the current state of what people are willing to spend money on as entertainment. To me, I will not pay money to see lip syncing productions with dancers performing under flashing lights nor do I desire buying their crappy recordings. I am a forty-eight year old man that remembers growing up and seeing live bands. Because it seems the industry downsized to only support a few pop and modern country acts, it leaves very few new rock acts that can truly gain an audience. Maybe established classic rock acts that still manage to play but every year they get older and are not touring anymore. The industry decided long ago that they wanted to get rid of live music because what they view as illegal bootlegging of the shows. So in reality, it was greed that destroyed the creativity of quality music. Instead, it has become massed produced entertainment that saw the rise of American Idol and The X Factor. Michael Jackson lowered the standards of the music and its current acts in the business because the new generation has accepted being ripped off. I still want to hear rock n roll so I seek artists from mostly the past to listen to. None of the crap today is worth bothering with. I used to buy new music weekly in the eighties. Today, I very seldom buy a store bought cd or dvd unless it is something put out for the rock n roll collector of legendary performances of a band or artist for die hard fans.
http://www.cnet.com/news/top-6-sites-for-buyi...

Lots of independents out there.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#38 Apr 23, 2014
Reality_Awaits wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.cnet.com/news/top-6-sites-for-buyi...
Lots of independents out there.
I realize that there are differents ways to buy music but I was never a big fan of downloading. Besides, I still get to hear my rarities and prefer the cd format.

“Waiting for f'loons to wake up”

Since: Dec 06

Goofybaboon's Not Listening

#39 Apr 23, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that there are differents ways to buy music but I was never a big fan of downloading. Besides, I still get to hear my rarities and prefer the cd format.
Oh, but those recordings are not your average offerings. I'm just saying there are still new musicians out there who have responded to the demand for superior sounding music.

Also not a fan of downloading crummy, lossy, sourced material either (mp3 files) but on the other hand the market is changing ever so slowly to waking up to the demands of Audiophiles for pure uncompressed data sound.
It depends highly on the quality of the source and those FLAC offerings are lossless recordings ( these are *not* your typical mp3 files). Rather, the files are better than what even your older CDs can deliver.

Yeah, I'm not going to throw away my good stuff either. This young generation can get stuck with the nickel & dime 'em-to-death, worthless , low talent mass-produced /mp3/m4a/WMA/AIFF American Idol music files that screams into inferior earbuds. I blame the RIAA/Apple/Android marketoonies for the mass-produced, throw-away devices and equally atrocious media that is made for it.

“Dark Lord of All.”

Since: Jun 13

The Untempered Schism.

#40 Apr 23, 2014
Wacko Jacko was the creepy pedo king of Neverland Ranch. Nothing else. Now he's dead.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#41 Apr 23, 2014
Reality_Awaits wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but those recordings are not your average offerings. I'm just saying there are still new musicians out there who have responded to the demand for superior sounding music.
Also not a fan of downloading crummy, lossy, sourced material either (mp3 files) but on the other hand the market is changing ever so slowly to waking up to the demands of Audiophiles for pure uncompressed data sound.
It depends highly on the quality of the source and those FLAC offerings are lossless recordings ( these are *not* your typical mp3 files). Rather, the files are better than what even your older CDs can deliver.
Yeah, I'm not going to throw away my good stuff either. This young generation can get stuck with the nickel & dime 'em-to-death, worthless , low talent mass-produced /mp3/m4a/WMA/AIFF American Idol music files that screams into inferior earbuds. I blame the RIAA/Apple/Android marketoonies for the mass-produced, throw-away devices and equally atrocious media that is made for it.
I understand that there is obviously new ideas out there to present new and exciting ways to hear music and it is interesting but at this point in my life, it doesn't seem to be a huge priority with me because I am married and my wife really doesn't listen to music as I do. I am just happy to be getting some incredible Elvis stuff on cd that I never new existed. I think if you go back through rock history, American records were always inferior to foreign releases. Some songs I thought were only recorded in mono, show up in stereo and the songs are completely different. Same for The Beatles. My wife simply wouldn't know the difference but I do. Anyway, it is a lot of fun. I am happy with what I've been able to find and just happen to fall into them. They are not your average store bought cd's. My wife complains about me spending money on them so I have to be very selective. I do have a large enough collection and I can see her point. Nevertheless, I do enjoy some great music and like to listen to it on headphones. I can not be distracted as she basically plays her music as background noise. I do not think my wife truly gets why I purchase these collectibles. She is not into it as I am. I really do not need it to be portable like on an i pod because when we are out, we rarely listen to music.

Since: Jun 13

Raleigh, NC

#42 Apr 23, 2014
This whole thing about king this and king that is actually quite silly when you think of how people like Elvis and Sam Cooke got their "king" titles (while people like Little Richard and James Brown self-proclaimed themselves while Michael allegedly did the same thing). It wasn't no major title. It was all due to their popularity. That's why Aretha Franklin was called "the queen of soul" in the '60s because what other female artist was having constant hits? And James' title as Soul Brother No. 1 was accurate due to the same thing (he was also called the King of Soul after Sam's untimely death).

The reason MJ became a "king" was based off popularity so when people bring up "well they were calling him king of pop during Thriller times", there was a reason for that: he was the most popular artist out there. The whole world knew who he was by 1984. But as we saw he had a lot of competition, actually the competition he faced in the '80s was more competitive than that of Elvis in the '50s, the Beatles in the '60s and Elton John in the '70s. He had to contend with Prince (briefly), Springsteen, George Michael.

By the '90s, more attention was focused on hip-hop and Nirvana so by the time people started normally mentioning him as the "king of pop", it was already a moot point. I can argue he pioneered modern pop music (contemporary R&B being a part of modern pop) but it came at a price with all these clones he inspired. Now the genre's as good as dead. That's why Sony is betting Xscape will net them money to stop them from the inevitable conclusion that pop music needs a major overhaul again.

----
Michael being the "king of pop, rock and soul" was just something he conjured up. Sure he mixed pop with rock and soul in a way with some records (more pop and rock in later years than soul), but that in and of itself doesn't make the title "valid" just like it probably won't make Elvis' title valid since Elvis did more than rock and roll music. He was as musically diverse, if not more so, than Michael. If MJ is to be called the king of pop, rock and soul, then Elvis is the king of rock, country and gospel or whatever. But no one made that claim. Solomon Burke called himself the king of rock and soul (it was the title of his debut album in 1964) and he was also diverse in his musical catalog. The titles shouldn't overlap their musical legacies. Solomon's and Elvis' seem richer in comparison to Michael's though.
You wish

Avon, CT

#43 Apr 23, 2014
Michael I Want you back wrote:
The funny thing was Michael never said a word that he was the king of pop.that was Elizabeth Taylor.and the fans carried it on.he was the best thats why everyone called him the king of pop
And nothing will never change thats what he will
Always be.the truth was he was the prince,king and
Angel.of the world.and he always will be.it dosent
Matter who says what Michael will always be the
King of music dance film and entertainment forever.
Oh dumbass ,
Eric stressel, Adam corrola are on record stating mj self proclaimed .
Funny, mj spoke on a podium with kop and a huge banner behind him.

Lastly
Elvis is the number one selling artist in hx
Elvis is the number one artist on billboard

Stop lying !
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#44 Apr 23, 2014
BadMan84 wrote:
This whole thing about king this and king that is actually quite silly when you think of how people like Elvis and Sam Cooke got their "king" titles (while people like Little Richard and James Brown self-proclaimed themselves while Michael allegedly did the same thing). It wasn't no major title. It was all due to their popularity. That's why Aretha Franklin was called "the queen of soul" in the '60s because what other female artist was having constant hits? And James' title as Soul Brother No. 1 was accurate due to the same thing (he was also called the King of Soul after Sam's untimely death).
The reason MJ became a "king" was based off popularity so when people bring up "well they were calling him king of pop during Thriller times", there was a reason for that: he was the most popular artist out there. The whole world knew who he was by 1984. But as we saw he had a lot of competition, actually the competition he faced in the '80s was more competitive than that of Elvis in the '50s, the Beatles in the '60s and Elton John in the '70s. He had to contend with Prince (briefly), Springsteen, George Michael.
By the '90s, more attention was focused on hip-hop and Nirvana so by the time people started normally mentioning him as the "king of pop", it was already a moot point. I can argue he pioneered modern pop music (contemporary R&B being a part of modern pop) but it came at a price with all these clones he inspired. Now the genre's as good as dead. That's why Sony is betting Xscape will net them money to stop them from the inevitable conclusion that pop music needs a major overhaul again.
----
Michael being the "king of pop, rock and soul" was just something he conjured up. Sure he mixed pop with rock and soul in a way with some records (more pop and rock in later years than soul), but that in and of itself doesn't make the title "valid" just like it probably won't make Elvis' title valid since Elvis did more than rock and roll music. He was as musically diverse, if not more so, than Michael. If MJ is to be called the king of pop, rock and soul, then Elvis is the king of rock, country and gospel or whatever. But no one made that claim. Solomon Burke called himself the king of rock and soul (it was the title of his debut album in 1964) and he was also diverse in his musical catalog. The titles shouldn't overlap their musical legacies. Solomon's and Elvis' seem richer in comparison to Michael's though.
With a name like Elvis, why would he need a title?

Elvis said that he was just an entertainer and never liked being called the king. That is what some of his fans called him. I just like his music. As far as Michael is concerned, he definitely had an inflated ego. Elvis worked on his craft to make his fans happy and probably was bored just sitting around. He treated his career like it was a full time job. That is why he made so many records and did so many concerts in just over twenty years. He was a workaholic and he aimed to please his audience. It is only music. By being humble, Elvis left a special legacy because there is still no one quite like him to this day. What Elvis sold and still sells is obviously based on the loyality of his fans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Jackson Chat Room! (Dec '12) Tue briana 65
One of MJ's "special friends" disclosed on MJ's... (Jul '13) Aug 7 Spotted Wee 126
News Paul McCartney fights to get back his songs Aug 5 sleepingboy 201
zionist jew conspiracy against MJ Aug 3 Spotted Wee 6
News Jackson's ex-doc details star's alleged attract... Jul 27 Jacko was a slime... 1
News Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley,... (Dec '09) Jul 27 Chaimpie 7,216
Michael Jackson had semen stains from other mal... (Sep '12) Jul '16 Justice 1,877
More from around the web