150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12901 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#14654 Jun 29, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I like it. I was unaware that Sam even recorded the Sax. On some of Gene Vincent's non Blue Cap material, someone was playing Sax on some of the songs but I could tell the change of musicians gave him somewhat of a less frantic sound from what Gene had done earlier.
The recordings I have are on the Chess label I think, I'll have to go thru them and see what else there is.

KELOWNA

#14655 Jun 29, 2014
The sax player that comes to mind with Gene Vincent is Jacky Kelso...(?)
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14656 Jun 29, 2014
dolbyscat wrote:
The sax player that comes to mind with Gene Vincent is Jacky Kelso...(?)
Jackie Kelso and Plas Johnson.

They must have played some sax on Gene Vincent's "Record Date/Sounds Like Gene Vincent" albums in 1958. My cd has both releases plus bonus singles of the period. Interestingly enough, as I was goggling the information, I found out that DJ Fontana replaced drummer Dude Kahn for Gene's forty date Canadian tour May to July, 1958. There was quite of a change with different line ups after the Blue Caps. Eddie Cochran offered his help on "Record Date" playing bass. However, it seems when I looked up the track listing, my cd's are missing a few of the songs...
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14657 Jun 29, 2014
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>The recordings I have are on the Chess label I think, I'll have to go thru them and see what else there is.
From what I've read, Sam Philips sold some Sun material for the Chess label to release after he recorded certain artists.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14658 Jun 30, 2014
Hello,everybody,good to hear from my pals Octopus Brain and Victor again,and all I can say is now you know how it feels,Dolbyscat,you obviously are offended by my repeated attacks on Paul Mccartney and The Beatles,pointing out their MANY flaws,fodder for a TON of jokes,not a good feeling,is it,well,now you know how us Elvis fans have been feeling for decades,having to be subjected to the nasty attacks on Elvis by the Liberal media,in print and on television,jealousy fueled put downs on Elvis from his jumpsuits to his southern heritage,and the fans as well,and all done ,of course,POSTHUMOUSLY,because were too cowardly to attack him while he was alive,and they also knew that they would be flirting dangerously with a defamation lawsuit if they tried,Elvis is the greatest recording artist of all time for a REASON,because he was the most uniquely gifted,original,and dynamic artist that ever lived,and whatever the Liberal media has to say about his stardom and his mystique,there was an excellent vocalist at the core of that mystique,a sound that continues to win new fans with each passing generation,peace to you all.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14659 Jun 30, 2014
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Dolbyscat and Octopus: The primary reason that many of us like myself participate in this forum, is due to the fact that both of you gentlemen, and others like Rick, offer an immense amount of knowledge and historical musical insight that frankly you can't find nowhere else. Excluding the degrading trolls and their trashy grammatical rhetoric, this forum is made excellent due to the contributions of both of you gentlemen. I guess is good to bicker once in awhile, but to reiterate, your valuable musical insight and knowledge is what makes this forum tick. Peace out Gentlemen:
Hey Vic!
Congrats on the new house! You're right, sometimes the nonsense is silly, but I do enjoy finding out the latest on Elvis and even thou I lean towards Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly to The Who, Eagles, Bob Seger, to Joan Jett and Pat Benatar, I want to also leave my options open to current tunes.
I might be fiftyish, but I do like all kinds of music. Sometimes one must take off the blinders to see the whole picture. Country to Jazz and everything in between. One must be well rounded or you will become a square.
I was watching the latest intros and KISS looked old, good thing they put on makeup. LOL! Linda Ronstadt can still hold a tune and so could Cat Stevens. Nirvana tune done by Joan Jett got my attention, too!
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14660 Jun 30, 2014
Elvis and The Beatles are the two biggest recording acts of all times. Frankly I don't think any one can compare to them . They were each different in their own way and in their originality. Case in point: as musicians, Lennon and McCartney belong in the top of the echelon. No one can rival their stature as composers. "Revolver" "Lonely Hearts Club Band" "The White Album" and everything else recorded from the period of 1967-1969 is still being consummated, scrutinized, studied, and ingested in just about every format for its greatness. Presley on the other hand, is generally regarded as the greatest vocalist of his and any other generation by highly regarded musical pundits and historians. In view of over 170 hits recorded in different musical genres, Presley has already been established as unequal in musical supremacy in the history of recorded music as a vocalist. The debate will linger and linger and linger..... But in their totality, these 2 acts will always reign supreme as the greatest and most influential acts of their period and any other time in the als of popular music. Peace out.
Speaking of Elvis' vocal range, when you listen to him sing HURT, only then does one understand the power of Presley!
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14661 Jun 30, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I can not speak for Rick but what irks me is how Beatle fans tend to be quite obnoxious over The Beatles importance in rock culture. That Elvis was irrelevant after the British Invasion. They may have written their own songs but so did Hank Williams. Of course, when someone gets extremely popular, it gets overplayed. The point is that they should not be above criticism just because they were The Beatles. Besides, Paul McCartney recently won five Grammy awards for his current garbage when Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers put out a masterpiece like Mojo and where ignored. There is very little anyone can do about ass kissers and favoritism. There are many artists that would be more deserving than an old washed up ex Beatle who hasn't written a great song since The Beatles Abbey Road. That being said, I desire to look into long neglected artists that did great music but were largely overlooked by radio and obviously were never promoted properly. Nothing against established artists but I do not need someone to tell me what is considered good music, just because it has been forced down my throat for over thirty years. I want to dig deeper. It is the discovery of old rock n roll gems that I've never really heard before. It is fun to explore.
Hey Octo!
I totally agree! I like The Beatles and their solo adventures, but when I saw Sir Paul at the Olympics, I was sad and embarrassed for him.
Check out Doucette from the 70s.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14662 Jun 30, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I've read, Sam Philips sold some Sun material for the Chess label to release after he recorded certain artists.
Speaking of the Chess label, have you watched the movie, Cadilac Records? Good movie about that labels artist, Chuck Berry, Muddy Water, Etta James, ect.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14665 Jun 30, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Vic!
Congrats on the new house! You're right, sometimes the nonsense is silly, but I do enjoy finding out the latest on Elvis and even thou I lean towards Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly to The Who, Eagles, Bob Seger, to Joan Jett and Pat Benatar, I want to also leave my options open to current tunes.
I might be fiftyish, but I do like all kinds of music. Sometimes one must take off the blinders to see the whole picture. Country to Jazz and everything in between. One must be well rounded or you will become a square.
I was watching the latest intros and KISS looked old, good thing they put on makeup. LOL! Linda Ronstadt can still hold a tune and so could Cat Stevens. Nirvana tune done by Joan Jett got my attention, too!
OOOPS! Intros into the Rock'n Roll Hall Fame. Why isn't Joan & Chubby Checker not in?
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

North Miami Beach, FL

#14666 Jun 30, 2014
Hey Dennis, Rick and Octo!! What do you guys think about the Multi Disc Set" That's the way it is"? it is scheduled to be release soon. I hear it's awesome with some rare alternate takes of Elvis greatest Las Vegas period. Anyway it's great to hear from the old gang again. Peace out fellows!!

KELOWNA

#14667 Jul 1, 2014
RICK wrote:
,and all I can say is now you know how it feels,Dolbyscat,you obviously are offended by my repeated attacks on Paul Mccartney and The Beatles
No Rick, I'm not offended at all, neither The Beatles or Elvis need me to come to their defense, their work speaks for itself, just as your stupid rants speak to your mentality. I see no-one here attacking Elvis and prompting your ridiculous diatribe, but carry on my friend, you are only fueling your own argument against such attacks on your hero.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14668 Jul 1, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Octo!
I totally agree! I like The Beatles and their solo adventures, but when I saw Sir Paul at the Olympics, I was sad and embarrassed for him.
Check out Doucette from the 70s.
I like The Beatles but they just are not in style at the current time. I know that Paul McCartney's voice is shot. Years of smoking marijuana and aging has obviously taken its toll. All of Paul McCartney's more recent work is certainly embarrassing. He should know when its time to call it a day. In comparsion, Dion still sounds great. But I can not really feel sorry for McCartney. He is a billionaire.

I've never heard of Jerry Doucette from Canada.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14669 Jul 1, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of the Chess label, have you watched the movie, Cadilac Records? Good movie about that labels artist, Chuck Berry, Muddy Water, Etta James, ect.
I've heard of the movie, Cadilliac Records but have never seen it. I recently found a two cd set of Chuck Berry's first three albums and the sound quality is excellent. I am searching for some really hard to find cd's like The Stooges classic pre-punk album, "Funhouse" I'd like to get some more Gene Vincent and other less known rockabilly artists. I like the blues mixed with rock and some Detroit rock n roll stuff like Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels, MC5. Johnny Rivers sounds awesome to me today also.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14670 Jul 1, 2014
Hey Dennis, Rick and Octo!! What do you guys think about the Multi Disc Set" That's the way it is"? it is scheduled to be release soon. I hear it's awesome with some rare alternate takes of Elvis greatest Las Vegas period. Anyway it's great to hear from the old gang again. Peace out fellows!!
Most of the "That's The Way It Is" has been released before except for some of the live concerts. I do not desire to buy it a third time. I am fairly disappointed with what has been coming out on Elvis. I definitely do not like the odd shaped packages that house the cd's.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14672 Jul 1, 2014
http://youtu.be/VZY03tEIDKA
Welcome to the Jungle
dreamingofelvis

Australia

#14673 Jul 1, 2014
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>I think Elvis would most certainly been aware of them...especially given the link to Ike Turner.
You're probably right dolby. The reason why I wondered, was because octopus had written that Billy Red had taken off from Sam, and as I couldn't find any information on his recordings from that period I thought it possible Elvis, Scotty and Billy, may not have ever heard his music.
I know that they were influenced by the other artists of that era, I just had some query as to whether Billy "Love" Red. was amongst them.
By the way fellas, it's finally nice to be interacting without the other nonsense I was previously experiencing.
Cheers. DOE.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14679 Jul 3, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I like The Beatles but they just are not in style at the current time. I know that Paul McCartney's voice is shot. Years of smoking marijuana and aging has obviously taken its toll. All of Paul McCartney's more recent work is certainly embarrassing. He should know when its time to call it a day. In comparsion, Dion still sounds great. But I can not really feel sorry for McCartney. He is a billionaire.
I've never heard of Jerry Doucette from Canada.
Momma Let That Boy Play Some Rock n Roll!(his' song)
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14680 Jul 3, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard of the movie, Cadilliac Records but have never seen it. I recently found a two cd set of Chuck Berry's first three albums and the sound quality is excellent. I am searching for some really hard to find cd's like The Stooges classic pre-punk album, "Funhouse" I'd like to get some more Gene Vincent and other less known rockabilly artists. I like the blues mixed with rock and some Detroit rock n roll stuff like Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels, MC5. Johnny Rivers sounds awesome to me today also.

I still enjoy Johnny Rivers, too. Chuck is still doing his' tunes in St. Louis! The Who are doing their "GOODBYE Tour" .At least, Roger can still do it. Octo, you must Cadillac Records!
I would not lead you astray. To appreciate the roots of Rock and R&B.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14681 Jul 3, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
I still enjoy Johnny Rivers, too. Chuck is still doing his' tunes in St. Louis! The Who are doing their "GOODBYE Tour" .At least, Roger can still do it. Octo, you must Cadillac Records!
I would not lead you astray. To appreciate the roots of Rock and R&B.
It depends on how the older artist progresses into old age, I guess. The Who did an impressive performance for Hurricane Sandy. Chuck Berry can barely stand up to play his guitar these days but he is ninety. That is expected but at least, Chuck is not ruining his recorded legacy by putting out uninspired new albums. I'll check out the film, "Cadillac Records" if I happen to find it on DVD. The roots of Rock and R&B is still quite an exciting period . The music sounds alive. It is definitely great because the best of it, never really ages. It is bare bones inspiration and pure energy captured on the recordings, which makes these performances special. Most new music lacks a certain emotional connection between the artist and the listener. I just love listening to great Rock N Roll that has not been overplayed to death. Gene Vincent was pretty good and I would have thought he'd have a string of hits besides just the top ten classic, "Be Bop A Lula"

It is weird how fate is sometimes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Crickets Chirp On The Dead Michael Jackson ... (Jun '15) Wed The Power Of Mast... 80
MJ fans and haters Aug 13 Spotted Wee 9
News Elvis Presley Eclipses Michael Jackson (Jul '09) Aug 9 Pop Tart- 53,066
Joe is begging for $$ to be buried next to MJ Aug 6 Spotted Wee 1
Bubbles was abandoned by MJ & left penny less Aug 6 Spotted Wee 1
Quincy Jones wins against the Estate! Jul 31 Sleepingboy 3
Another Thread Suddenly Deleted From Upset Floons (May '15) Jul 26 Spotted Wee 37
More from around the web