150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12901 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14259 Mar 4, 2014
Good to hear from you again,also,Victor,and I've always felt that this so called `lost ' sales data isn't really lost,I think RCA records kept a record of Elvis' record sales in the twelve months following his death somewhere in some RCA office,and if they have finally located this sales data I and all Elvis fans will be very happy,because this will once and for all shut up all the loudmouth,60's counterculture liberal Elvis haters in the media,and I won't have to be subjected to their s**t anymore,and maybe they'll finally start treating Elvis with the respect due Rock and Roll's greatest star and most beloved pioneer,enjoy the weather in Miami Beach,it's been brutal here in Chicago,peace to you,Victor.and god bless.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14260 Mar 4, 2014
Yes Rick: I agree with you wholeheartedly: How could this documentation so valuable in scope could have gotten lost? I agree with you, its probably in some dingy warehouse gathering up dust and waiting to be exposed. It is much like 1992, whereas new audited figures were discovered making Presley the most successful and certified artist of all time. I believe that much of this was locked up in vaults for litigation purposes. It's matter of time before these lost figures come to light. Anyway peace to you. Keep warm.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14266 Mar 7, 2014
I just got the new Straight Arrow, "Endless Summer Festival" which again was recorded from the booth tapes. Both shows are from August 22, 1973 dinner and midnight performances. What I finally gather was a booth tape is really an audience cassette recording taped by someone very close to the stage that made no effort to hide the recorder. Anyway, the sound is impressive. My copy says it was recorded in stereo and it is a 24 bit remaster. Really good performances by Elvis, much better than the earlier winter engagement. I am waiting on two Nashville 1970 and 1971 unedited studio CD's from Venus because the third volume, "Nashville Revisited 1970" just blows my mind. So great. I am definitely getting the next Straight Arrow, "Sin City's Hottest Ticket"

I am having fun.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14277 Mar 9, 2014
The Venus label three volume Nashville 1970 and 1971 CD's are really unusual and the sound quality is excellent. Several of the songs are completely different in this form with various mixes, unedited jams, accoustic versions, rearranged lyrics and other mindboggling ear candy. Wow. I just love hearing stuff like this. "Amazing Grace" "Only Believe" "Little Cabin On The Hill" "Bridge Over Troubled Water" "Heart Of Rome" "Life" "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and others sound like Elvis rerecorded them. It is like he somehow made them better even in death. I recommend these unofficial imports to any true Elvis fan. They are incredible and offer another insight into the creativity of the songs from a mostly misunderstood Elvis period.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14281 Mar 10, 2014
Hey Octo, Rick, and Dennis: I recently subscribed to the Elvis Channel on Sirius XM. It is an excellent radio station that is streamlined straight from Graceland. I hear a lot of alternate takes rarely heard. Anyway I love listening to an all Elvis station 24/7. I also listen to the station from my car. I found out why Elvis is the most streamlined artist of the past ten years. It seems that everyone's got the station locked in their car or home. Boy you talk about a phenomenon!! Only Elvis could do this. Peace out gentlemen.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14282 Mar 10, 2014
Victor Abreu wrote:
Hey Octo, Rick, and Dennis: I recently subscribed to the Elvis Channel on Sirius XM. It is an excellent radio station that is streamlined straight from Graceland. I hear a lot of alternate takes rarely heard. Anyway I love listening to an all Elvis station 24/7. I also listen to the station from my car. I found out why Elvis is the most streamlined artist of the past ten years. It seems that everyone's got the station locked in their car or home. Boy you talk about a phenomenon!! Only Elvis could do this. Peace out gentlemen.
I've seen the Sirius XM booth across the street from Graceland. But I do not listen to radio because I'd rather collect the music on import CD. I like having the physical product so I can listen to whatever Elvis period I desire. I like the liner notes and the unpublished photographs that come with the packages also. My favorite Elvis labels right now are Straight Arrow and Venus. Incredible performances. I am loving every minute of listening to some newly found performances I've never heard before. Lately, I've been very pleased with what I've been finding. It makes being an Elvis fan so much fun. Keep em coming.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14283 Mar 10, 2014
And I've also seen on another Elvis website,Victor,of this fella Brian Quinn trying now to hog the credit for those new upcoming Elvis certifications,just to let you know.And I recently saw a list of the top selling artists since 1991 according to soundscan,with Elvis coming in at no.11,Garth Brooks is no.1,followed by The Beatles.According to soundscan,Elvis sold over 35.5 million CD'S,Brooks sold over 63 mil,and The Beatles better than 58 mil,but in Elvis's case,the soundscan tally only tells part of the story,it is also during this period that Colonel Parker's business files,and the meticulously kept Elvis record sales data kept in those files also began to show themselves,first with that August,1992 presentation of 110 gold and platinum discs,and many more retroactive or late certifications since,which have nothing to do with soundscan,and have Elvis's people kept any record of how many online and FTD CD'S have been sold the last 15 years.And it's still noteworthy to point out that in that top 11 soundscan list,Elvis is the ONLY deceased solo artist,peace out
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14286 Mar 10, 2014
Yes Rick: You are absolutely right. Soundscan only goes by the record sales that are registered. Elvis has over 200 albums that have sold 20 to 100 thousand copies that have never been registered by Soundscan.
Moreover Rick, are you aware that imports are not tabulated or accounted for by Soundscan? Do you know how many imports Elvis has sold since 1991? It is estimated in the millions. All in all Rick, they can be no doubt that Presley has sold more than the 35 million presently giving him credit by Soundscan. Peace out my friend.,
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14288 Mar 11, 2014
Victor Abreu wrote:
Yes Rick: You are absolutely right. Soundscan only goes by the record sales that are registered. Elvis has over 200 albums that have sold 20 to 100 thousand copies that have never been registered by Soundscan.
Moreover Rick, are you aware that imports are not tabulated or accounted for by Soundscan? Do you know how many imports Elvis has sold since 1991? It is estimated in the millions. All in all Rick, they can be no doubt that Presley has sold more than the 35 million presently giving him credit by Soundscan. Peace out my friend.,
Yeah, imports or bootlegs are not tabulated but that is true for every artist that has been bootlegged. I purchace a lot of Elvis discs including the ones sold in stores as the recent "Elvis At Stax" three CD box. However, because I have all the material and have all the standard releases and box sets on CD since the mid to late 90's, I desire to hear different things from Elvis that even FTD neglects to put out on disc. Of course Soundscan is not going to have the full numbers of what Elvis really sells. That is why I do not bother with worrying about such things. I believe that Elvis fans that want to hear more great Elvis stuff have to seek it out themselves. Unfortunately, not everybody gets the pleasure of imports because it is audience recordings or studio outtake material. I love it because it is just an ongoing quest to hear unheard songs or performances. I think most of the very best imports are obviously made by someone that really cares. That is what makes them superior to RCA/Sony products. A really fantastic sounding audience recording beats a low grade soundboard any day. It is because you hear the excitement in the crowd. It is as close to being there as possible. It was done live as it happened. Elvis comes alive for me on those releases. I might as well have my chance to hear something new or unusual because you only live once.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14291 Mar 12, 2014
I wonder if Elvis saw how much he was looking like his mother at the end of her life before he died?

Location hidden

#14293 Mar 12, 2014
I was a big Elvis fan in 76/77 *not Elvis best years but He still sang with power and emotion even though he was also sometimes short of breath. I like to think if Elvis would of got healthy there would have been some Good music and decent movie roles.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14294 Mar 13, 2014
To Jim : I agree with you wholeheartedly Jim. I was fortunate to see Elvis at the Hollywood Sportatorium in Florida on February 12, 1977. I remember how great his voice was. When he sang the song "Hurt" his voice reverberated throughout the auditorium in a way that I can only describe as mesmerizing. I was 12 years old, and can honestly state, that since that night, witnessing Elvis performing live, I have never quite felt the same electricity from any other performer, that I felt the night I saw Elvis perform live.
Peace out my friend.,
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14295 Mar 13, 2014
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Jim : I agree with you wholeheartedly Jim. I was fortunate to see Elvis at the Hollywood Sportatorium in Florida on February 12, 1977. I remember how great his voice was. When he sang the song "Hurt" his voice reverberated throughout the auditorium in a way that I can only describe as mesmerizing. I was 12 years old, and can honestly state, that since that night, witnessing Elvis performing live, I have never quite felt the same electricity from any other performer, that I felt the night I saw Elvis perform live.
Peace out my friend.,
And that was Elvis's first concert of 1977. I have most all the "77 shows and the southern winter tour that year was strong. I wish that I could have seen Elvis live but I was only 11 years old at the time. Through out the last year, Elvis mostly sung very well despite a couple of bad shows where he was sick and tired. He seemed to rebound quite a lot and his vocal ability was still impressive. He could hit high notes that could shatter glass from across the arena. Of course, I have the concert from Hollywood Sportatorium in Florida 2-12-77 on an older bootleg title. It was an excellent live performance. He wore the Indian feather jumpsuit in Miami.

Location hidden

#14297 Mar 15, 2014
Elvis. official website has a link for list of Celebrities who visited Graceland.* also pictures of them visiting Elvis home
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14298 Mar 15, 2014
I came very close to seeing Elvis live in concert,it was in April of 1977,and he was doing a set of concerts at the old Chicago Stadium,and my parents were contemplating going to one concert,but decided against it,I just wish that Elvis could have lived another 20 to 25 years,if that happened,nothing would have stopped me from going to see him,but when you're a 12 or 13 year kid,you have no control in anything financial,or any other area,for that matter,peace out.

Location hidden

#14299 Mar 15, 2014
http://youtu.be/sWx7IgCQeek
Girl Happy(original pitch) Elvis
I like this better at original slower speed *the way it was recorded~
Watched Girl Happy on tv when I was a kid-*still enjoy it as fun movie
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14300 Mar 15, 2014
RICK wrote:
I came very close to seeing Elvis live in concert,it was in April of 1977,and he was doing a set of concerts at the old Chicago Stadium,and my parents were contemplating going to one concert,but decided against it,I just wish that Elvis could have lived another 20 to 25 years,if that happened,nothing would have stopped me from going to see him,but when you're a 12 or 13 year kid,you have no control in anything financial,or any other area,for that matter,peace out.
The two nights in Chicago were released on Straight Arrow's "Double-Strike" which are the May first and second, 1977 shows. The sound is somewhat different than my earlier copies of the same concerts probably because it was recorded from a superior source tape. Anyway, they were both kick ass concerts and Elvis sounded real good. Of course, Elvis had played a few concerts in upstate NY during both 1976-1977 that I never got to go to because I was only ten or eleven years old at the time. I would have needed someone to buy the tickets and take me. I remember Elvis played two nights in Syrcuse, NY on July 25th and 27th that I wanted to see. Both concerts are great and I wish I could have went. You are correct that at that age, we had no control in anything financial but I did ask for Elvis stuff. Unfortunately, my mom did not buy what I wanted. We were shopping and I had seen this huge hardcover picture book with all color shots of Elvis in it from the seventies. No go. It is really too bad because it was really well done. I haven't seen the book since.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14301 Mar 15, 2014
jim - wrote:
http://youtu.be/sWx7IgCQeek
Girl Happy(original pitch) Elvis
I like this better at original slower speed *the way it was recorded~
Watched Girl Happy on tv when I was a kid-*still enjoy it as fun movie
I've read that Elvis wasn't too thrilled about the speeded up master of the song, "Girl Happy" when he heard it on record. It still wasn't one of his better films of the period. At least to me. I thought it was a bit too silly. However, there is some halfway decent tracks on the album. Maybe not some of his better performances but it was supposed to be a beach movie about spring break in 1965. Elvis was thirty at the time and he definitely deserved better material. "Puppet On A String" was okay for what it was. Elvis did the best job he could with what he had to work with but "Girl Happy" wasn't one of my favorites. I like "Tickle Me" better. That is a funny movie.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14302 Mar 15, 2014
jim - wrote:
I was a big Elvis fan in 76/77 *not Elvis best years but He still sang with power and emotion even though he was also sometimes short of breath. I like to think if Elvis would of got healthy there would have been some Good music and decent movie roles.
I think Elvis's worst period as far as concerts go was August, 1976. He seemed much better in October of that year but the short December tour after his last Las Vegas engagement was the best. The 1976 Lake Tahoe shows in late April, early May were some of the longest shows Elvis ever gave. He was up and down. 1977 started out strong but followed the same pattern. What Elvis needed to do was take a long break, take stock of what he really wanted to do next and get healthy. Unfortunately, that did not happen.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14304 Mar 17, 2014
Victor Abreu wrote:
Sorry I haven't been on much, computer issues! I believe the Elvis Channel is broadcast from Graceland, I think. As always, another first for the King!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cosby hires Michael Jackson's lawyer for sex as... 2 hr Michael Jackson9851 3
The Crickets Chirp On The Dead Michael Jackson ... (Jun '15) 3 hr Spotted Wee 84
Melody, a real hater is 65 & mentally ill! 3 hr Spotted Wee 1
Cadaver 13596 3 hr Spotted Wee 5
Joe is begging for $$ to be buried next to MJ 3 hr Spotted Wee 3
MJ fans and haters 10 hr CAB1927 11
Autopsy Reveals M. Jackson had a giant 12 inch ... (Jul '09) Sun Hey guys 304
More from around the web