150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12899 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14128 Jan 10, 2014
Back again after a pretty rough few days here in Chicago.I've said this before but it bears repeating,to anyone important at NBC,allow Paramount pictures to give Elvis's second film `LOVING YOU' the wide release it deserves.on DVD and blue ray,how about the coolest news anchor on television ,Brian Williams,if you read this forum ,go to the bigwigs at your network and make a pitch for this to happen,I think your self deprecating humor is a breath of fresh air,most people in your profession take themselves WAY too seriously,I know I'm taking a shot in the dark on this,but it would be a nice gesture,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14130 Jan 20, 2014
We were talking not too far back about Elvis and Evel Knievel being friends,I flipped over a book not too far back at a bookstore that had photos of Elvis with other famous stars,pictures of Elvis with Edward G.Robinson,country singer Jeannie C. Riley,Englebert Humperdinck,Lou Costello[of Abbott and Costello fame],Elvis rubbed shoulders with a lot of famous stars,but many of these photos were never published at the time they were taken because Colonel Parker wanted Elvis's star to shine ALONE,minus other celebrities,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14132 Jan 20, 2014
And talking about how the other 50's Rock legends measure up to Elvis in terms of popularity,they don't fare too well in terms of RIAA awards,examples;Bill Haley,0,Little Richard,0,Buddy Holly,1,Jerry Lee Lewis,0,Carl Perkins,0,Johnny Cash,22,Roy Orbison,6,Fats Domino,0,Eddie Cochran,0,The Everly Brothers,6,a COMBINED total of 35 awards.Elvis' current total is 159 gold,89 platinum,and 35 multiplatinum,the single `It's Now or Never' has been upgraded from platinum to 5x platinum by the RIAA,this is a record total so I think it's time for the 60's counterculture,i.e the liberal entertainment media to stop lumping these other artists with The King of Rock and Roll,they obviously don't measure up to the man,peace out.
Chris

Flint, MI

#14133 Jan 20, 2014
RICK wrote:
And talking about how the other 50's Rock legends measure up to Elvis in terms of popularity,they don't fare too well in terms of RIAA awards,examples;Bill Haley,0,Little Richard,0,Buddy Holly,1,Jerry Lee Lewis,0,Carl Perkins,0,Johnny Cash,22,Roy Orbison,6,Fats Domino,0,Eddie Cochran,0,The Everly Brothers,6,a COMBINED total of 35 awards.Elvis' current total is 159 gold,89 platinum,and 35 multiplatinum,the single `It's Now or Never' has been upgraded from platinum to 5x platinum by the RIAA,this is a record total so I think it's time for the 60's counterculture,i.e the liberal entertainment media to stop lumping these other artists with The King of Rock and Roll,they obviously don't measure up to the man,peace out.
Wow Rick, those numbers are pretty surprising. Especially Buddy Holly, I would've guessed that he had more than 1 RIAA award, considering the fact that he had so many hits. But, you're right about Elvis, he is way better than all of his contemporaries, & the numbers prove it.
you wish

Mountain View, CA

#14137 Jan 23, 2014
I WANT YOU BACK MICHAEL wrote:
Michael Jackson the greatest entertainer of all time.and Michael concerts were incredible he was totally in charge the Master.and a song writing genius.and amazing dancer.and what a voice
Mike got the whole package.he was Just awesome
That's your opinion.floon
Sammy Davis Jr
" everything Michael does on.stage is exactly right "

" Elvis is an eleven out of ten "

I trust Sammy opinion over your dumbass anyway!
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14139 Jan 23, 2014
The latest two Elvis imports have been very good audience recordings and just happen to be exactly two years apart. In my opinion, "Love Me Tonight" 2-13-71 is still more enjoyable than "Echoes Of Aloha" but both are of excellent sound quality. I was looking through the set lists in Paul Lichter's "Elvis In Vegas" book of known tapes that exist and kind of wish some of the longer shows would show up on Straight Arrow. Elvis did whatever he felt like on any given night but the shorter shows are not as exciting and are just standard sets. I'd like to get my hands on some of Elvis's longer 1971 Vegas concerts that he did in Feburary of that year. I have the older import from the midnight show on the 19th and would love the other long shows that followed if they can be found in excellent sounding tapes.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14144 Jan 29, 2014
You're definitely right ,Chris,I was as surprised as you that the great Buddy Holly only has 1 sole award,I love his music and he should have more,oh,and to round out the 50's Rock legends ,Chuck Berry has a grand total of 0,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14145 Jan 29, 2014
And here in Chicago the show `The Million Dollar Quartet' is on an extended run at the Apollo Theatre,well all I have to say is if you take Elvis out of this quartet you know what you'll have,`The 1 Dollar,99 cent Trio',peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14147 Feb 4, 2014
And I just checked the internet,Victor is a pretty important fellow,he is specifically mentioned in an Elvis website and it confirms the information about the new Elvis certifications that he mentioned on this forum,to be presented during Elvis week this August,wow,peace out
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14150 Feb 4, 2014
Greetings to you my good buddy Rick: How have you been doing ? My apologies to you and Octo. I have been pretty busy and I have not had the time to participate in this great forum. Ultimately, I am hoping that finally Elvis gets the rightful accolades and awards bestowed upon him that he rightfully deserves. As previously stated, EPE and Jack Soden have been keeping mum about the new certifications. Moreover many fans are already talking and disparaging the RIAA for the paltry sum of 134.5 million albums that Presley gets credit for. Furthermore,
(at last count) they are over 275 albums virtually unaccounted for in tabulations, and needing proper certifications. These faulty computation methods need to be rectified, if the RIAA expects formal legitimacy as the USA record sales legitimate governing body. Furthermore, there is also the matter of the lost 1977-1978 Presley record sales, that have never been accounted for. Many Presley fans like myself, will not cease or stop until Elvis Presley gets his just due, as the greatest record seller and recording artist in the history of popular music. Even though, this will be a forgone formality. This unequivocal error should be corrected, and thus Presley catapulted, and rightfully so, as the best selling artist of all time. Stay tuned Rick. Peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14160 Feb 7, 2014
Good to hear from you again,Victor,I've been a little busy myself ,working long hours here in downtown Chicago,and a website of Elvis fans in Nashville mentions you by name,confirming the info you gave us here,I think it's particularly wonderful to me that the majority of Elvis's soundtracks[much maligned by the Liberal entertainment media]will be certified gold and or platinum,I think it's Elvis striking back at these people from the grave,and irrefutable evidence of Elvis's unprecedented stardom that 36 years after his sudden,untimely death he is STILL receiving these mass amounts of certifications,but like you said,the glaring omissions of Elvis's total sales is still a problem that the RIAA will have to rectify sooner or later,I hope this will happen in my lifetime,but then again,everyone by now pretty much knows that he is the greatest record seller of all time,but it would be great for the RIAA to finally confirm this fact,peace to you ,Victor.
You wish

Avon, CT

#14164 Feb 8, 2014
RICK wrote:
Good to hear from you again,Victor,I've been a little busy myself ,working long hours here in downtown Chicago,and a website of Elvis fans in Nashville mentions you by name,confirming the info you gave us here,I think it's particularly wonderful to me that the majority of Elvis's soundtracks[much maligned by the Liberal entertainment media]will be certified gold and or platinum,I think it's Elvis striking back at these people from the grave,and irrefutable evidence of Elvis's unprecedented stardom that 36 years after his sudden,untimely death he is STILL receiving these mass amounts of certifications,but like you said,the glaring omissions of Elvis's total sales is still a problem that the RIAA will have to rectify sooner or later,I hope this will happen in my lifetime,but then again,everyone by now pretty much knows that he is the greatest record seller of all time,but it would be great for the RIAA to finally confirm this fact,peace to you ,Victor.
http://www.usefulcharts.com/misc/top-musical-...
Chris

Rockford, MI

#14165 Feb 8, 2014
You wish wrote:
First of all, I want you to know that I'm a Beatles fan. But, I have to give credit where credit is due. Even though that list ranked the Beatles ahead of Elvis, it doesn't change the fact that Elvis has more gold & silver awards. Also, Elvis has more in sales with 1.6 billion, compared with 1.3 billion for the Beatles.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14166 Feb 8, 2014
I just found the three box set collection, "Elvis At Stax" last night when my wife and I went out after finally using our gift card for the Olive Garden. We went to the mall because my wife wanted to get me Paul Rodgers brand new CD, "The Royal Sessions" at FYE. They had only one copy left and she grabbed it. While I was there, I just decided to check if I could find "Stax" and to my surprise, they had one. The sound is definitely superior than what I've heard before because I can clearly hear the instruments and background vocals in the mix. It is a great package and the book was very well done. Many photos of Elvis that I've never seen before of outside shots. The Paul Rodgers CD is also fantastic because it was recorded with old Memphis musicians that played on the original Memphis Stax blues and soul recordings. Excellent release from Paul who still sounds great. The dude can still sing. I highly recommend the Paul Rogders CD, especially the track, "Walk On By" The only downside is that the CD has only ten tracks and is only a little over forty minutes long.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14167 Feb 8, 2014
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, I want you to know that I'm a Beatles fan. But, I have to give credit where credit is due. Even though that list ranked the Beatles ahead of Elvis, it doesn't change the fact that Elvis has more gold & silver awards. Also, Elvis has more in sales with 1.6 billion, compared with 1.3 billion for the Beatles.
Elvis and The Beatles still do very well, do they?

I am not going to get into who sells more and all that bull. The Beatles continue to get a lot of hype from the sixties culture media, which in my opinion is overkill. The Beatles 50 year celebration of their British Invasion has been on television on CNN with The Rolling Stones and other bands from that era. I am also seeing a lot of magazines on the racks. It is almost like they are that obnoxious that they believe that everyone is into The Beatles. That certainly is not the case. Don't get me wrong, I do like The Beatles but I just think that forcing them into the spotlight by grand promotion and hype is a bit much. It has backfired on them. I do not agree with The Grammy Awards in regards to Paul McCartney's new stuff either. He is getting them because of who he is and not because of the music. His latest "Queenie Eye" is terrible.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14168 Feb 8, 2014
*don't they?
Chris

Farmington, MI

#14171 Feb 8, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis and The Beatles still do very well, do they?
I am not going to get into who sells more and all that bull. The Beatles continue to get a lot of hype from the sixties culture media, which in my opinion is overkill. The Beatles 50 year celebration of their British Invasion has been on television on CNN with The Rolling Stones and other bands from that era. I am also seeing a lot of magazines on the racks. It is almost like they are that obnoxious that they believe that everyone is into The Beatles. That certainly is not the case. Don't get me wrong, I do like The Beatles but I just think that forcing them into the spotlight by grand promotion and hype is a bit much. It has backfired on them. I do not agree with The Grammy Awards in regards to Paul McCartney's new stuff either. He is getting them because of who he is and not because of the music. His latest "Queenie Eye" is terrible.
I don't like his song Queenie Eye either, he could've picked a better song to perform at the Grammy's. Maybe you don't think he deserves the grammys he received, but it is what it is. As far as the 50th anniversary is concerned, I don't think it's being over hyped. The British invasion changed everything, & it all started with the Beatles that night 50 years ago. The significance of that first Ed Sullivan appearance cannot be overstated.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14172 Feb 8, 2014
Chris wrote:
<quoted text> I don't like his song Queenie Eye either, he could've picked a better song to perform at the Grammy's. Maybe you don't think he deserves the grammys he received, but it is what it is. As far as the 50th anniversary is concerned, I don't think it's being over hyped. The British invasion changed everything, & it all started with the Beatles that night 50 years ago. The significance of that first Ed Sullivan appearance cannot be overstated.
Yes, but there are more deserving releases last year tthat should have been nominated for a Grammy like Jimi Hendrix "People, Hell And Angels" My criticism extends to both Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath as well. I definitely think the Grammy awards were catering to create a media bliss for The Beatles 50th celebration hype by giving Paul McCartney five grammies. That is not why someone should win an award though. It should be based on the quality of the music and performance. It is not that I am trying to knock Paul, but his new material is not of high standard. In fact, it is the worst crap he has ever done. Since the British Invasion lasted a few short years in the mid sixties, I have to disagree that it changed everything. I definitely think it deserves a mention but not everyone was bore 50 years ago and could care less. It is being overhyped to sell Beatles music. There is nothing wrong with that campaign. They just over do it. It gets quite annoying because not everybody loves The Beatles. They should be more low key because over exposure is actually hurting them in my view. I've been talking with a lot of people in the real word and people are very negative towards The Beatles now.
Chris

Harper Woods, MI

#14173 Feb 8, 2014
Octo, the British invasion lasted more than a few years. And if you don't think the British invasion changed everything, look at the way things were before & after it. Before it, the only person who was shaking things up was Elvis. But, he went into the military, & then was doing movies. When he should've been making records & performing live. And, the music establishment at the time, was trying to tame rock & roll. So, they weren't taking very many chances, with new artists, like they did with Elvis & others from that era. Then along comes the Beatles & others from England, who were taking music in all kinds of different directions. They took our American rock & roll, & made it their own. It became so popular, that music executive's could no longer ignore it. Even the Beatles own label Capital, didn't realize what they had, until shortly before the Beatles came to America.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14177 Feb 8, 2014
Chris wrote:
Octo, the British invasion lasted more than a few years. And if you don't think the British invasion changed everything, look at the way things were before & after it. Before it, the only person who was shaking things up was Elvis. But, he went into the military, & then was doing movies. When he should've been making records & performing live. And, the music establishment at the time, was trying to tame rock & roll. So, they weren't taking very many chances, with new artists, like they did with Elvis & others from that era. Then along comes the Beatles & others from England, who were taking music in all kinds of different directions. They took our American rock & roll, & made it their own. It became so popular, that music executive's could no longer ignore it. Even the Beatles own label Capital, didn't realize what they had, until shortly before the Beatles came to America.
The British Invasion evolved into something else because culture and music is always changing. The sixties were an exciting period but not everything from the British Invasion was good. Lame bands like Herman's Hermits and American clones like The Monkees were like Fabian and Bobby Vee were to Elvis. Of course the early sixties were not the fifties but what Elvis was doing was progressing. He was limited to what he was doing because he was in Hollywood. The music was not bad because Elvis was singing in Spanish and doing different concepts that were meant for film soundtracks. It would be unfair to expect Elvis to stay the same when the Beatles did not. Actually, it was Bob Dylan that was taking chances. I just think The Beatles are getting too much overblown hype today. Lou Reed just recently died. Why won't they honor someone else for a change? There is no doubt that The Beatles helped change culture but that is it. It is more amazing to me that Jimi Hendrix only recorded from 1967-1970 and they are still releasing unreleased material by him that blows living artists away. In reality, the British Invasion were The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Yardbirds that spawned Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. That turned into hard rock/heavy metal with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Then it was early punk from The Doors, David Bowie, MC5, Velvet Underground and more...a mix of everything that kept evolving between British and American bands and performers because the music industry was creative. Not like today. It is worst now than it was in the early sixties. No one is coming along to shake anything up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The world is a better place without Michael Jac... (Aug '13) 11 hr Spotted Wee 38
The Crickets Chirp On The Dead Michael Jackson ... (Jun '15) 18 hr Pop Tart- 79
News Profile of a Pedophile: Does Michael Jackson fit? (Dec '08) Fri Spotted Wee 64,793
Wade robson paid by illuminati Thu Space ace 59
Cadaver 13596 Jul 20 Spotted Wee 3
MJ fans and haters Jul 20 CAB1927 6
3 people showed up at MJs child hood home! ha ... Jul 19 The Power Of Mast... 14
More from around the web