150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

DENNIS HAUSER

Peoria, IL

#14085 Dec 26, 2013
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Octo; Yea, you're right!! Remember Disco? and how Elvis would be forgotten after his death? How about Heavy metal? How about all other types of musical genres? Elvis has outlived them all. Hasn't he? This is why Elvis is a phenomenon whose popularity will never be surpassed or equaled by any other act. Long live the King.
Hey Vic!

This is a Billboard article, I just stumbled upon.
The Fab Four adds its 31st Billboard 200 top 10, while the late King extends his record for the most charted albums.
Speaking of Presley, the late King of Rock & Roll bows at No. 147 on the Billboard 200 with "Merry ChristmasÂ… Love, Elvis." The 12-song holiday collection, released this year, marks his 129th charted album, extending his record for the most appearances in the list's archives. Frank Sinatra ranks second with 82 entries.
> I just bought this CD! Nothing will bum you more then digging out a Christmas CD, open it to play and find no CD in the case! I sometimes feel us "Babyboomers"(like me) that misplace, replace or update to the latest format of music, is a another reason artist like Elvis,
has more #1s and additional gold records. That and they're great artists.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14086 Dec 26, 2013
To Octo; Yea, you're right!! Remember Disco? and how Elvis would be forgotten after his death? How about Heavy metal? How about all other types of musical genres? Elvis has outlived them all. Hasn't he? This is why Elvis is a phenomenon whose popularity will never be surpassed or equaled by any other act. Long live the King.
That is probably because Elvis is his own musical genre. A lot of people have told me for years that Elvis would be forgotten. Obviously, they were wrong. I find it quite amusing. Elvis is everywhere. Besides, I just got my latest order called, "Living From Day To Day, Chasing A Dream" and just listened to part of it. The sound quality is really good but since Elvis apparently had a throat infection at the time, he wasn't singing as strong as usual. I'm really not sure what they mean by "booth" recording because I can still hear the audience. It was probably recorded in front or on the side of the stage with two or three mikes picking up Elvis and the band.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14087 Dec 26, 2013
Hey Dennis: That is sure a bummer. To open a CD case with no CD in it. Wow!! it's happened to me a couple of times as well. On the most charted albums , you have made an excellent point.
Officially they will never be anyone to rival Presley in the most charted songs or hit album. In Fact, not only is he tops in the United States pertaining to hit singles and albums, but in the UK as well. Presley has become the only artist to score 50 top ten albums in the UK charts. That is truly amazing.
Furthermore, I think Octo has raised another excellent point. I never thought about it. But yes, "Elvis is his own musical genre". And I believe, that this is the main reason that his music is still personifying today's society and culture. As previously posted, what a phenomenon.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14089 Dec 26, 2013
Hey Dennis: That is sure a bummer. To open a CD case with no CD in it. Wow!! it's happened to me a couple of times as well. On the most charted albums , you have made an excellent point.
Officially they will never be anyone to rival Presley in the most charted songs or hit album. In Fact, not only is he tops in the United States pertaining to hit singles and albums, but in the UK as well. Presley has become the only artist to score 50 top ten albums in the UK charts. That is truly amazing.
Furthermore, I think Octo has raised another excellent point. I never thought about it. But yes, "Elvis is his own musical genre". And I believe, that this is the main reason that his music is still personifying today's society and culture. As previously posted, what a phenomenon.
I can not say that I ever bought a CD without the CD enclosed in the case but I did buy a box set of AC/DC once that gave me two of the same discs. However, when I returned it to the store for an exchange, they had no more available. I was disappointed. With Elvis in the past, I've found a couple of CD's that had quality defects in them but that wasn't very often. My main problem with the Elvis store bought CD's today is the same material is always repackaged and it is stuff I already have. I would welcome another boxed set with choice previously unreleased studio outtakes and live material. I'd buy it. But today, I basically go for Elvis imports. I listened to both shows from the new "Living From Day By Day" Straight Arrow and the Las Vegas midnight show is the stronger performance of the two. It has never been one of my favorite Elvis engagements but the sound quality isn't bad. I am waiting for two of my other concerts to come in. I will always be an Elvis fan until I die and I certainly am not just a loyal Elvis fan because of his continued popularity. For some reason, I've been pleasantly surprised by it through the years. I did not expect it.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14098 Dec 30, 2013
To Octo: Just received a nice Christmas gift: "From Elvis At American Sound Studio" A lot of unfinished material from Elvis hungriest period in 1969. The sound is also quite good. Moreover, there many alternate versions of great songs. Check out "Hey Jude" from the Beatles songbook. A must have for any crazy Elvis fan like myself. Peace out.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14106 Jan 4, 2014
To Octo: Just received a nice Christmas gift: "From Elvis At American Sound Studio" A lot of unfinished material from Elvis hungriest period in 1969. The sound is also quite good. Moreover, there many alternate versions of great songs. Check out "Hey Jude" from the Beatles songbook. A must have for any crazy Elvis fan like myself. Peace out.
I have a lot of alternate American studio 1969 stuff. I do wish I could get my hands on the full isolated vocal version of "In The Ghetto" though. The incomplete version was put out as a special promo for "Elvis 30 #1 Hits" in 2002. It was amazing. Of course, the Memphis sessions were some of Elvis's best studio work ever. He never quite returned to that sound but nevertheless, he made plenty of great albums afterwards. It was like he never did the same thing twice. I think Elvis was great in any period and because he did not repeat himself, he has a much broader range than most artists do. I love take 5 of "Hey Jude" It is the closest to The Beatles version. RCA ruined the original master that first appeared on "Elvis Now"
maria

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14107 Jan 4, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a lot of alternate American studio 1969 stuff. I do wish I could get my hands on the full isolated vocal version of "In The Ghetto" though. The incomplete version was put out as a special promo for "Elvis 30 #1 Hits" in 2002. It was amazing. Of course, the Memphis sessions were some of Elvis's best studio work ever. He never quite returned to that sound but nevertheless, he made plenty of great albums afterwards. It was like he never did the same thing twice. I think Elvis was great in any period and because he did not repeat himself, he has a much broader range than most artists do. I love take 5 of "Hey Jude" It is the closest to The Beatles version. RCA ruined the original master that first appeared on "Elvis Now"
Is it only C D that you listen to, there is a yellow vinyl record for sale of in the Ghetto on E Bay in the USA for 29.99 Dollars.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14108 Jan 4, 2014
maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it only C D that you listen to, there is a yellow vinyl record for sale of in the Ghetto on E Bay in the USA for 29.99 Dollars.
Unfortunately, I do not have a turntable to play vinyl records but apparently, vinyl has make a comeback in recent years. However, because my Elvis CD collection is quite large, I stick with the compact discs because they are much easier for me to find what I am looking for. I do have some old Elvis titles on vinyl lp, extended play and 45 rpm singles but they are strictly collectibles that I do not play. I do not purchace my Elvis discs on E bay or get them from ordering them on the internet. In recent years, I've been able to find some amazing sounding Elvis imports. I can read the reviews on the web before I decide to buy. That way, I avoid bad audience recordings or live concerts that I would never listen to more than once. I was blown away by a three disc collection called, "Take Ones" because the sound quality is outstanding and there is some great unheard performances by Elvis in the studio from different periods of his career too. It pays to be a little picky now because I want better sounding stuff today as compared to years ago when I first discovered the pleasures of hearing bootleg Elvis recordings or previously unreleased Elvis performances.
Maria

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14109 Jan 4, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, I do not have a turntable to play vinyl records but apparently, vinyl has make a comeback in recent years. However, because my Elvis CD collection is quite large, I stick with the compact discs because they are much easier for me to find what I am looking for. I do have some old Elvis titles on vinyl lp, extended play and 45 rpm singles but they are strictly collectibles that I do not play. I do not purchace my Elvis discs on E bay or get them from ordering them on the internet. In recent years, I've been able to find some amazing sounding Elvis imports. I can read the reviews on the web before I decide to buy. That way, I avoid bad audience recordings or live concerts that I would never listen to more than once. I was blown away by a three disc collection called, "Take Ones" because the sound quality is outstanding and there is some great unheard performances by Elvis in the studio from different periods of his career too. It pays to be a little picky now because I want better sounding stuff today as compared to years ago when I first discovered the pleasures of hearing bootleg Elvis recordings or previously unreleased Elvis performances.
I understand where you are coming from, I am not very picky I have a record player that I love and it is bright red in colour and I love it, there is a section for cd's on it and I play that too and it's got a radio on it too I love to listen to any of Elvis Presley's songs in any form be it cd or vinyl you could always get an old record player but you sound like you don't like them.
All the best Maria.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14110 Jan 4, 2014
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand where you are coming from, I am not very picky I have a record player that I love and it is bright red in colour and I love it, there is a section for cd's on it and I play that too and it's got a radio on it too I love to listen to any of Elvis Presley's songs in any form be it cd or vinyl you could always get an old record player but you sound like you don't like them.
All the best Maria.
CD's can be burned onto another disc and be taken anywhere. If you lose the copy, you can always make another. I have vinyl older long players that I've had as a child stored away but most of them were common Elvis releases. I rarely play the master material anymore because I am having so much fun hearing Elvis say different things in the studio between the tracks or listening to live as it happens concert performances. It just wouldn't fit my needs having a turntable. I like the idea of hearing Elvis stuff that I was never meant to hear. That is where I am today because I've heard all of the regular RCA and Camden albums. I think Elvis was better raw and untamed without the watered down versions that is usually the case with store bought CD's. Elvis rocks harder on many of them, has his sense of humor intact and the bootlegs almost always reveal these things. It is like dropping in on the session even though it was decades and decades ago. Plus it is great hearing Elvis work with his musicians and back up singers. The audience sometimes gives us a very entertaining look at what it was like on any given night as well. It is that connection that makes Elvis so special.
Maria

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14111 Jan 4, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
CD's can be burned onto another disc and be taken anywhere. If you lose the copy, you can always make another. I have vinyl older long players that I've had as a child stored away but most of them were common Elvis releases. I rarely play the master material anymore because I am having so much fun hearing Elvis say different things in the studio between the tracks or listening to live as it happens concert performances. It just wouldn't fit my needs having a turntable. I like the idea of hearing Elvis stuff that I was never meant to hear. That is where I am today because I've heard all of the regular RCA and Camden albums. I think Elvis was better raw and untamed without the watered down versions that is usually the case with store bought CD's. Elvis rocks harder on many of them, has his sense of humor intact and the bootlegs almost always reveal these things. It is like dropping in on the session even though it was decades and decades ago. Plus it is great hearing Elvis work with his musicians and back up singers. The audience sometimes gives us a very entertaining look at what it was like on any given night as well. It is that connection that makes Elvis so special.
I have heard a lot of stuff what Elvis has said on records that you are not meant to hear they have gone out on record and people have missed what he actually said, there is an example recording on one of song that he sing on the LP on moody blues I think the" line goes I am never far from you" word is not far.

He did a lot of stuff like that. I think that was very funny.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14112 Jan 4, 2014
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard a lot of stuff what Elvis has said on records that you are not meant to hear they have gone out on record and people have missed what he actually said, there is an example recording on one of song that he sing on the LP on moody blues I think the" line goes I am never far from you" word is not far.
He did a lot of stuff like that. I think that was very funny.
Yeah, Elvis had a great sense of humor and had a great ear for perfect pitch and timing. His studio outtake stuff is very strong. I am impressed by the complete first takes through out his entire career. For the most part, the live concerts are awesome as well. You never know what he'd say. He could be very funny because it was just an off the cuff moment that captured his personality. What he was thinking about at the time.
Maria

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14113 Jan 4, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Elvis had a great sense of humor and had a great ear for perfect pitch and timing. His studio outtake stuff is very strong. I am impressed by the complete first takes through out his entire career. For the most part, the live concerts are awesome as well. You never know what he'd say. He could be very funny because it was just an off the cuff moment that captured his personality. What he was thinking about at the time.
I know that you are only interested in his cd's but Elvis had many other hobbies too, he liked his motor bikes and his cars and he loved his holidays always thinking of what his men could do for fun and all the place's he lived what a life he should have wrote his own book his own life story, even today I don't have a portion of what he had or the places he has been and seen I never will even though it is more than forty year or more on all I can say is what a life.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14114 Jan 4, 2014
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that you are only interested in his cd's but Elvis had many other hobbies too, he liked his motor bikes and his cars and he loved his holidays always thinking of what his men could do for fun and all the place's he lived what a life he should have wrote his own book his own life story, even today I don't have a portion of what he had or the places he has been and seen I never will even though it is more than forty year or more on all I can say is what a life.
I have plenty of Elvis day by day or A to Z books that I've combed through for the past thirty-six years. I've also been to Memphis and have been to his birthplace. The music was his life though and I hunger to hear more. Elvis was the best and he was still a humble person. I do not think he realized how great he was. Of course, that is part of the legend that is Elvis. I've seen the motorcycles, the cars and the planes. He had such a great sense of humor and I am definitely sure the people lucky enough to have been a part of it, had some wild times with Elvis in the fifties, the Hollywood years, Las Vegas and the road tours. I've even met a lot of people that knew Elvis, played on stage with him or were fortunate to meet him. I've seen Lisa Marie and she signed her latest CD at Sun records a couple years back. I believe that Elvis did want to write his own life story but never got around to it. It was supposed to be called, "Through My Eyes" I am just grateful that I get to hear some really great and unusual performances at this late date. Elvis was very professional when he got down to making serious music. He had the ability to sing any type of song and could easily change his voice. It was like he was many artists in one but he was still Elvis. There hasn't been anyone remotely like him to this very day. It was because what was inside of him, came out within his singing or playing. He had a great connection with his musicians and back up singers also. I am still being floored after all these years. The stuff has a life of its own and is always growing and changing. It never gets stale or old. That amazes me.
Maria

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14115 Jan 4, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have plenty of Elvis day by day or A to Z books that I've combed through for the past thirty-six years. I've also been to Memphis and have been to his birthplace. The music was his life though and I hunger to hear more. Elvis was the best and he was still a humble person. I do not think he realized how great he was. Of course, that is part of the legend that is Elvis. I've seen the motorcycles, the cars and the planes. He had such a great sense of humor and I am definitely sure the people lucky enough to have been a part of it, had some wild times with Elvis in the fifties, the Hollywood years, Las Vegas and the road tours. I've even met a lot of people that knew Elvis, played on stage with him or were fortunate to meet him. I've seen Lisa Marie and she signed her latest CD at Sun records a couple years back. I believe that Elvis did want to write his own life story but never got around to it. It was supposed to be called, "Through My Eyes" I am just grateful that I get to hear some really great and unusual performances at this late date. Elvis was very professional when he got down to making serious music. He had the ability to sing any type of song and could easily change his voice. It was like he was many artists in one but he was still Elvis. There hasn't been anyone remotely like him to this very day. It was because what was inside of him, came out within his singing or playing. He had a great connection with his musicians and back up singers also. I am still being floored after all these years. The stuff has a life of its own and is always growing and changing. It never gets stale or old. That amazes me.
There are a lot of things said about his time in Graceland Memphis and a lot said about his time in Las Vegas but not much is said of his life in Palm Springs, not his honeymoon house but the other house that he lived in, the one he bought in 1970 the Spanish looking house I think they give daily tours around the house now. I mean did he have any friends there, you never hear of them, did he ever go out for a burger, and his men must have gone home to their own wives so they can't have been with him all the time. I have never seen any pictures of him in Palm Springs and did his girl friend Linda live there with him she only seemed to live in Graceland or have her own flat some other place.

It is 11.30 4th of January 2014 at night time I am going to bed, good night Octo

All the best Maria.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14116 Jan 5, 2014
http://youtu.be/lTYe9eDqxe8
All I have to do is Dream and Cathy's Clown- Everly Brothers 1960
I'm big fan of Rock and Roll from 50's to today . Phil Everly died !=(

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14117 Jan 5, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I listen to youtube video of Elvis performance from last Las Vegas stint in 1976 and Elvis was funny as hell and he sang good too!=)
Chris

Haslett, MI

#14118 Jan 5, 2014
jim - wrote:
http://youtu.be/lTYe9eDqxe8
All I have to do is Dream and Cathy's Clown- Everly Brothers 1960
I'm big fan of Rock and Roll from 50's to today . Phil Everly died !=(
RIP Phil Everly you are loved & you will be missed
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14121 Jan 8, 2014
jim - wrote:
<quoted text>
I listen to youtube video of Elvis performance from last Las Vegas stint in 1976 and Elvis was funny as hell and he sang good too!=)
At that last Las Vegas engagement, Elvis did some pretty long shows. He began with strong performances but on the 5th of December, he twisted his ankle. There were a couple concerts that Elvis sounded overly medicated but he picked it up towards closing night. I have most of the engagement on CD as two disc sets. The December 2nd to the 4th are the best shows and the 10th was also good. Closing night was December 12th, his last Las Vegas concert. The sound quality is not all that great though. Maybe it will show up on a better source tape. You never know.
I WANT YOU BACK MICHAEL

Croydon, UK

#14122 Jan 8, 2014
Michael Jackson the greatest entertainer of all time.and Michael concerts were incredible he was totally in charge the Master.and a song writing genius.and amazing dancer.and what a voice
Mike got the whole package.he was Just awesome

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ghana leader tells UN to dance to tune of Micha... Sun lalala 1
News Wade Robson Claims Michael Jackson's Companies ... Sun mjlover4life 4
News Now Corey Feldman Says Hollywood Has a Pedophil... (Aug '11) Sep 22 Teri Copley arrested 366
Michael Jackson And David Bowie, the Duet That ... (Jun '10) Sep 21 Patrice Lauren 6
Wade Robson Supporters (Jul '13) Sep 21 Sleepingboy 74
News Blanket Jackson changes name: Bullied at 13 for... (Jun '15) Sep 21 Sleepingboy 9
Michael Jackson rapes Bubbles: a Continuation (Sep '08) Sep 20 Vale 5
More from around the web