150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12905 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Albany, NY

#13920 Dec 12, 2013
I am pretty stunned when checking out the current billboard top 200 for this week. Elvis has three Christmas albums on the chart. What is impressive is "It's Christmas Time" is currently sitting at number forty one.(it is the highest position for that title) No Michael Jackson.

It will be awesome to see where Elvis jumps when he is awarded his twenty new gold and platinum certifications on his bithday, 1-8-14.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13921 Dec 12, 2013
*birthday
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13922 Dec 12, 2013
The Beatles BBC 2 is currently at number 64 and had jumped 24 notches from last week.

Real legends really never die.
Chris

United States

#13923 Dec 12, 2013
Octopus wrote:
I am pretty stunned when checking out the current billboard top 200 for this week. Elvis has three Christmas albums on the chart. What is impressive is "It's Christmas Time" is currently sitting at number forty one.(it is the highest position for that title) No Michael Jackson.
It will be awesome to see where Elvis jumps when he is awarded his twenty new gold and platinum certifications on his bithday, 1-8-14.
That's pretty awesome, considering the fact he's been gone for 36 years. I wonder how much his Christmas albums have sold, I mean they get released every year, so the sales numbers have to be in the tens of millions. You were asking if there is anything left in the vaults, from Elvis or the Beatles, that has never been released or bootlegged. I think their is probably some stuff that nobody's heard yet. And, their might even be a tape, that everybody forgot about, sitting in somebody's attic, waiting to be rediscovered.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13924 Dec 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>That's pretty awesome, considering the fact he's been gone for 36 years. I wonder how much his Christmas albums have sold, I mean they get released every year, so the sales numbers have to be in the tens of millions. You were asking if there is anything left in the vaults, from Elvis or the Beatles, that has never been released or bootlegged. I think their is probably some stuff that nobody's heard yet. And, their might even be a tape, that everybody forgot about, sitting in somebody's attic, waiting to be rediscovered.
It is pretty impressive when you add that Elvis just had his 50th top ten album in the UK with "The Nation's Favorite Elvis Songs" Of course, I find the success of the rearranged Elvis Christmas CD's a bit strange because he only recorded two Christmas albums in his lifetime. The budget Camden seventies "Elvis Christmas Album" was the one that is a diamond platinum release.

I know that Elvis's "I'm A Roastabout" was found in someone's attic in 2002. It is a strange demo because I thought Elvis was trying for a British Invasion sound. Who really knows what will show up? I have quite a few unreleased Beatle songs but I had them for a few years.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13926 Dec 13, 2013
To Octo: Elvis recorded three christmas albums during his lifetime. Don't forget "The wonderful World of Christmas"" LP released sometime around 1971. The reason I remember, is because my favorite Christmas song is there. "On A Snowy Christmas Night" .
By the way Merry Christmas to you and Chris!!
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13927 Dec 13, 2013
!. Elvis Christmas Album released on 1957: over 19 million sold worldwide and in all formats:

2. Elvis Christmas Album Camden Version: over 29 million sold worldwide in all formats. Way under certified by the RIAA, which has only certified 10 million.

3. Elvis The Wonderful World of Christmas. Also sold over 15 million easily, according to RCA and Goldmine trade magazine.

In essence, many fans have stated for the record, that it doesn't bother them any more, the fact that Elvis is Under Certified in record sales by the RIAA. It is an accepted notion that Elvis is the best selling artist in the history of popular music. This information has become public domain!!
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13928 Dec 13, 2013
To Rick ,Dennis, Octo, Chris ,Len, Dolby, and all other wonderful people who post on this forum.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's to you. Wishing you and your families, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Sincerely,
Victor Manuel Abreu
Chris

United States

#13929 Dec 13, 2013
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Rick ,Dennis, Octo, Chris ,Len, Dolby, and all other wonderful people who post on this forum.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's to you. Wishing you and your families, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Sincerely,
Victor Manuel Abreu
Thanks Victor for the info on Elvis's Christmas records. Merry Christmas to you & your family as well.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13930 Dec 13, 2013
To Octo: Elvis recorded three christmas albums during his lifetime. Don't forget "The wonderful World of Christmas"" LP released sometime around 1971. The reason I remember, is because my favorite Christmas song is there. "On A Snowy Christmas Night" .
By the way Merry Christmas to you and Chris!!
I did not forget "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" LP in 1971.

The reason I said that Elvis only recorded two Christmas albums was because the budget Camden album was compiled from previously released Christmas and religious material and really wasn't a new album. Of course, in the fifties, there was an extended play Christmas release called, "Elvis Sings Christmas Songs" but is the same as the "Elvis Christmas Album" in 1957.

I have all the original Christmas releases on CD plus the long deleted studio alternate disc, "If Every Day Was Like Christmas"
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#13931 Dec 13, 2013
Sincerely,
Victor Manuel Abreu
Merry Christmas to ALL! And to ALL a good night!!
Do you think the game plan is the same? On Elvis' birthday, Elvis gets more GOLD(recordings) as presents?
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13932 Dec 13, 2013
The budget Camden release, "Elvis Christmas Album" was basically the shorter version of the original 1957 album with a different cover and had "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" and "Mama Liked The Roses" slopped onto it. That is probably because for years, the original 1957 LP was not available. But it was not until the CD era, did I get the original 1957 version on CD. That made the budget release no longer something I needed.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13933 Dec 13, 2013
To Dennis : I do not know the exact date, but I do know the certifications are on the way for Elvis. Also, do you remember 1992?
That's the year that Elvis was awarded the largest presentation of certified awards by the RIAA in history. The combined total was 110 Gold, Platinum and Multiplatinum awards. They were presented in August of 1992, but all those awards were awarded and certified on March 27 ,1992. A date that has no significance in the life and career of Elvis Presley.
Moreover on July 1999, he was also posthumously awarded 40 more awards. Again no exact date has been given, but to reiterate Dennis, I know Presley is long overdue with new certifications and upgrades. Every Elvis fan has been talking about it. Furthermore there is the distinct possibility that a "Silver Award" is formally introduced for albums and singles that have sold over 200-300 thousand but are under the threshold mark of 500 thousand needed to be certified gold. The rhetoric being divulged, is that the figures will finally lay legitimate claim to Elvis, as being the most successful recording act in United States history. I will keep you further posted.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13934 Dec 13, 2013
To Dennis , Rick, Octo and Chris: On March 27, 1992, Elvis was awarded 110 certifications. And on July 15, 1999, Elvis was awarded 40 more certifications by the Recording Industry Association of America. Again, both of these dates have no significance in the life and career of Elvis Presley. In sum, and to reiterate, no exact date has been given for new Presley certifications. However these new awards to Presley and the introduction of a Silver Award is a distinct possibility for the upcoming year. Peace out my friends!!.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13935 Dec 13, 2013
To Dennis , Rick, Octo and Chris: On March 27, 1992, Elvis was awarded 110 certifications. And on July 15, 1999, Elvis was awarded 40 more certifications by the Recording Industry Association of America. Again, both of these dates have no significance in the life and career of Elvis Presley. In sum, and to reiterate, no exact date has been given for new Presley certifications. However these new awards to Presley and the introduction of a Silver Award is a distinct possibility for the upcoming year. Peace out my friends!!.
I know about Elvis's updates and upgrades in certifications and certainly have seen the endless display of gold and platinum awards at Graceland. Whatever the RIAA wants to finally award him is just the icing on the cake. Because of Elvis's vast catalog that goes back almost sixty years, it is taking time. I can imagine that the current titles are easier to tally and is separate from trying to find exact sales for long lost deleted titles or records that were only released in certain countries that were million sellers as well.
Chris

United States

#13936 Dec 14, 2013
Ok, so Elvis is going to get a bunch of new awards, but it could be any date, & not necessarily his birthday. It would be cool if they could do it on his birthday, but as long as it gets done, that's all that really matters.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13937 Dec 14, 2013
Chris wrote:
Ok, so Elvis is going to get a bunch of new awards, but it could be any date, & not necessarily his birthday. It would be cool if they could do it on his birthday, but as long as it gets done, that's all that really matters.
As an Elvis fan, it is very difficult to keep track of every Elvis title ever released in Elvis's lifetime and beyond. That is because a lot of records or compact discs were released and deleted, replaced by other titles. Then you have albums in other countries that might have been million sellers but never recieved gold or platinum certification. It is interesting to see certain titles from different countries all over the globe at Graceland. However, it is not something that I am too concerned about. Since Elvis's birthday falls at the beginning of the first week of every new year, they know that Elvis fans will most likely be there when they award him his upgrades or updates. They have done it in the past. I know about the massive updated one that happened in 1992. It is just incredible that he is still getting them. Elvis was never an FM rock concept album artist like The Beatles or Pink Floyd where the albums are always available for the mass marketplace. Nevertheless, a long deleted title like "This Is Elvis" or "Guitar Man" could have still sold millions. There are simply too many of them to count because the current ones are rearranged titles, sold for today's consumer. I do not buy them because it is material I already have.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#13938 Dec 14, 2013
!. Elvis Christmas Album released on 1957: over 19 million sold worldwide and in all formats:
2. Elvis Christmas Album Camden Version: over 29 million sold worldwide in all formats. Way under certified by the RIAA, which has only certified 10 million.
3. Elvis The Wonderful World of Christmas. Also sold over 15 million easily, according to RCA and Goldmine trade magazine.
In essence, many fans have stated for the record, that it doesn't bother them any more, the fact that Elvis is Under Certified in record sales by the RIAA. It is an accepted notion that Elvis is the best selling artist in the history of popular music. This information has become public domain!!
Thank you for posting this. And a wonderful Christmas to you, too.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13940 Dec 14, 2013
To Len: My sentiments alike my good friend. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Chris

United States

#13945 Dec 15, 2013
Octo, I found out more info about the Beatles digital release & that copyright law. The law only applies to the European Union. And the law states that anything commercially released has 70 years of copyright protection. Anything that is unreleased only has 50 years of copyright protection. So that's why the Beatles are releasing all those unreleased recordings from 1963. Bob Dylan did the same thing last year, & the Beach Boys are doing it too. So we could see a lot of great artists from back then releasing a lot of unreleased music in the coming years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paris Jackson cuts touches down in London follo... 7 hr Jake 2
News Paris Jackson Posts Rare Home Video From Childh... 9 hr Jake 24
News Michael Jackson's secret sister was 'rejected b... Fri Just Me 1
News Profile of a Pedophile: Does Michael Jackson fit? (Dec '08) Feb 15 Philip 64,803
MJloser4life still repeating lies & hate Feb 15 Roger Williams Ra... 11
The Crickets Chirp On The Dead Michael Jackson ... (Jun '15) Feb 14 Jake 109
News Quincy Jones Wasn't Lying About Michael Jackson... Feb 14 Agent Mildew 15
More from around the web