150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Albany, NY

#12892 Oct 14, 2013
Yes, Paul McCartney might be regarded as the most successful songwriter of all time but that is misleading since John Lennon was shared co writing duties on all of The Beatles hits. Then you get to McCartney's Wings and solo hits, which were very popular in the seventies and to the mid eighties but they never rose to the level of the truly classic Beatles tunes. John Lennon did "Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey" (each were filled with Yoko on half of them) Still, John wrote more great songs on those two records than Paul McCartney has since Lennon's death. In reality, I've been disappointed by McCartney's work as an ex Beatle. I expected more than "Coming Up" "Ebony And Ivory" "No More Lonely Nights" or "Spies Like Us" I'm still waiting for Paul to put out an album that means something. A personal statement. Johnny Cash even did it with with his cover of NIN's "Hurt" Paul McCartney does not go deep and that is a big problem for him.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12893 Oct 14, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>Probably a good reason for that...Oh! maybe because he didn't die from lung cancer. Octopussy shows his ignorance once more.
George Harrison died 29th November 2001 from metastatic non-small cell lung cancer, as stated on his death certificate.

Fail.
Chris

United States

#12894 Oct 14, 2013
Octopus wrote:
Yes, Paul McCartney might be regarded as the most successful songwriter of all time but that is misleading since John Lennon was shared co writing duties on all of The Beatles hits. Then you get to McCartney's Wings and solo hits, which were very popular in the seventies and to the mid eighties but they never rose to the level of the truly classic Beatles tunes. John Lennon did "Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey" (each were filled with Yoko on half of them) Still, John wrote more great songs on those two records than Paul McCartney has since Lennon's death. In reality, I've been disappointed by McCartney's work as an ex Beatle. I expected more than "Coming Up" "Ebony And Ivory" "No More Lonely Nights" or "Spies Like Us" I'm still waiting for Paul to put out an album that means something. A personal statement. Johnny Cash even did it with with his cover of NIN's "Hurt" Paul McCartney does not go deep and that is a big problem for him.
Yes Paul shares writing credit with Join on the Beatles hits. But the fact is Paul wrote most of those hits on his own. And the Beatles success made him & John the most successful songwriting duo in history. But he also has had great success as a solo artist. So his success with the Beatles & his success as a solo artist, combined to make him the most successful songwriter in history. I don't understand why you expected Paul to be as great as the Beatles were, which would be impossible since he doesn't have the other 3 to work with, especially John. Lets face it. John made Paul better & Paul made John better. They pushed each other, & their was noone else that could bring out the best in them. They were equals, & they could never find anyone else who knew them as well as they knew each othet.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#12895 Oct 14, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
George Harrison died 29th November 2001 from metastatic non-small cell lung cancer, as stated on his death certificate.
Fail.
Well done Observer Ok, I will do something that is rare around here...I WAS WRONG.. Hooray for wiki...I guess we will just ignore the "brain tumour" that killed him.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12896 Oct 14, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Fail.
I was just about to post that.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12897 Oct 14, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>Well done Observer Ok, I will do something that is rare around here...I WAS WRONG.. Hooray for wiki...I guess we will just ignore the "brain tumour" that killed him.
The lung cancer metastasized and spread.

KELOWNA

#12898 Oct 14, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis movies were never made to be oscar winning masterpieces. Elvis accepted that and was disappointed that he wasn't given more to work with.
Well I'm glad to see you say that, but I feel sure it will not stop some demented Elvis fans demands that Elvis be awarded an Oscar. Sorry...but as much as I like his music I could not sit thru any single film of his, they were cheesy and corny. Just to be fair, and to appease you Beatles bashers I wouldn't sit thru "Help" or "Hard Days Night" either.

KELOWNA

#12899 Oct 14, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just about to post that.
Well you woulda been correct as well....but in second place.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12904 Oct 15, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yes Paul shares writing credit with Join on the Beatles hits. But the fact is Paul wrote most of those hits on his own. And the Beatles success made him & John the most successful songwriting duo in history. But he also has had great success as a solo artist. So his success with the Beatles & his success as a solo artist, combined to make him the most successful songwriter in history. I don't understand why you expected Paul to be as great as the Beatles were, which would be impossible since he doesn't have the other 3 to work with, especially John. Lets face it. John made Paul better & Paul made John better. They pushed each other, & their was noone else that could bring out the best in them. They were equals, & they could never find anyone else who knew them as well as they knew each othet.
John Lennon wrote most of The Beatles greatest songs. I can instantly tell a Lennon lyric from a McCartney one and in my opinion, John was the better songwriter. John Lennon was correct when he attacked Paul in the song, "How Do You Sleep" because Paul's sappy tunes annoyed the shit out of him. I do not think John would've written "Lovely Rita" "Michelle" "Blackbird" or "Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da" He was way superior to Paul McCartney. Because John is dead, Paul wants top credit for writing most of the songs? It is painfully obvious who wrote the songs and/or helped make McCartney's songs better. Paul's style shows up in his Wings and solo albums time and time again. In reality, John wrote deep, personal lyrics that spoke about his anger or loss in some of his best work. Paul is just a sappy ham, writing small little ditties that were safe and non offensive for pop radio. John Lennon took chances, therefore his work holds up much better even with Yoko on his albums. I have "The John Lennon Collection" CD that avoids Yoko's screaming.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12905 Oct 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>Well I'm glad to see you say that, but I feel sure it will not stop some demented Elvis fans demands that Elvis be awarded an Oscar. Sorry...but as much as I like his music I could not sit thru any single film of his, they were cheesy and corny. Just to be fair, and to appease you Beatles bashers I wouldn't sit thru "Help" or "Hard Days Night" either.
I do not think most Elvis fans think Elvis deserves an Oscar but we can select our favorite Elvis movies and just enjoy them as they are. Since each one was a little different, I can at least realize that some of them were meant to be fun comedies, while others were more serious. "King Creole" is my personal favorite Elvis film. It is really too bad you are so negative and miserable. Music is meant to bring joy and happiness. That is what Elvis still brings to me. But whatever...

KELOWNA

#12906 Oct 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Music is meant to bring joy and happiness. That is what Elvis still brings to me. But whatever...
Tho' I can't say I have been to the countless live acts that you profess to have seen, or have the immense cd collection that you have, nor do I have the encyclopedic memory that you have on all things pertaining to music. My modest collection of a few thousand cd's, 6000 lp's, and a genuinely Hi-Fi rig gives me immense "joy and happiness". I even listen to more than just Elvis and the Beatles...Can you believe that, yup! I don't believe the music died in 1977, nor did it start in the 50's....What a concept huh?

KELOWNA

#12907 Oct 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text> Tho' I can't say I have been to the countless live acts that you profess to have seen, or have the immense cd collection that you have, nor do I have the encyclopedic memory that you have on all things pertaining to music. My modest collection of a few thousand cd's, 6000 lp's, and a genuinely Hi-Fi rig gives me immense "joy and happiness". I even listen to more than just Elvis and the Beatles...Can you believe that, yup! I don't believe the music died in 1977, nor did it start in the 50's....What a concept huh?
PS...I also play guitar and piano, it gives me much joy, tho' my family may have a differing opinion as far as their ears are concerned...:)
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12909 Oct 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text> Tho' I can't say I have been to the countless live acts that you profess to have seen, or have the immense cd collection that you have, nor do I have the encyclopedic memory that you have on all things pertaining to music. My modest collection of a few thousand cd's, 6000 lp's, and a genuinely Hi-Fi rig gives me immense "joy and happiness". I even listen to more than just Elvis and the Beatles...Can you believe that, yup! I don't believe the music died in 1977, nor did it start in the 50's....What a concept huh?
But I also have hundreds of artists in my music collection including Dean Martin. A wonderful singer who did the best music I've ever heard. I have Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Beach Boys, The Flamin'Groovies, Journey, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Deep Purple, Chuck Berry, Red Rider, MC5, 38 Special, Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Johnny Rivers, Eddie Cochran, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Jerry Lee Lewis, Rush, Heart, Badfinger, Boston, Aerosmith, Bing Crosby, Curtis Mayfield, Prince, The Carpenters, Roy Orbison, The Kinks, The Who, Bad Company, Guns N Roses, Great White, Cinderella, Gene Vincent, The Stray Cats, Jefferson Airplane, Triumph, Black Sabbath, Steve Miller Band, The Byrds, Snoop Dogg...and a lot more.

You under estimate me.

KELOWNA

#12910 Oct 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
You under estimate me.
Could that be possible...

KELOWNA

#12911 Oct 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
But I also have hundreds of artists in my music collection
Where did I say that you didn't ? Your finger must be hurtin' after typing that list...And please quit with the lame judging .
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12912 Oct 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>Where did I say that you didn't ? Your finger must be hurtin' after typing that list...And please quit with the lame judging .
You assume that because I am an Elvis fan, he is the only artist I listen to?

I listen to Classical guitar CD's, which I sometimes enjoy.

Dean Martin's best work was amazing and he was never rock n roll.

Of course, Elvis is just my favorite but if I want to listen to something else, I do.

I was into Heavy Metal in the eighties so there has never been an Elvis bias.

So why criticize?
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12913 Oct 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
Why do you care what some Elvis fans think of Elvis and why are you so negative on him?

If I still enjoy the music and listen to Elvis boots, who cares?

You do not make any sense because you seem like you are miserable to me.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12915 Oct 15, 2013
I've never met an Elvis fan that thought music died in 1977. I do not get what you're complaining about.

KELOWNA

#12916 Oct 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume that because I am an Elvis fan, he is the only artist I listen to?
I assumed nothing, again I ask "where did I say that"... I think you may be taking my generalisations too personally. I don't know you, or your habits, just as you do not know mine, yet you make an assumption about me...did you not?
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12917 Oct 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>I assumed nothing, again I ask "where did I say that"... I think you may be taking my generalisations too personally. I don't know you, or your habits, just as you do not know mine, yet you make an assumption about me...did you not?
I am a collector of mostly Elvis music because he is my favorite artist. I do not wear jumpsuits, I do not think he is still alive, I do not pray to him like a God. I am just an Elvis fan of long standing that enjoys listening to his music because it gives me pleasure. Why would I want to be negative on him like you are? You say that you like his music, right? You do not make any sense. I am not taking anything personally. I just do not understand why you are so negative on Elvis because he did not make music to make people miserable. So what is your point? I like many other artists so what exactly is your complaint?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
zionist jew conspiracy against MJ (Jun '16) 4 hr Spotted Wee 53
MJ got his bad karma but good! 5 hr Spotted Wee 1
The Crickets Chirp On The Dead Michael Jackson ... (Jun '15) 6 hr Spotted Wee 50
Which floon failed to sue the Estate over a his... 6 hr Spotted Wee 5
News Profile of a Pedophile: Does Michael Jackson fit? (Dec '08) 6 hr Spotted Wee 64,791
The freaks at vindicatemj should be investigate... (Nov '11) 7 hr Spotted Wee 199
mjloser4life/jermain/mjjustice..wants this foru... (Nov '11) 8 hr Spotted Wee 11
More from around the web