150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12862 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12756 Oct 5, 2013
*an Elvis convention...
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12758 Oct 5, 2013
RICK wrote:
I'm here to talk about ELVIS,which is what this forum is SUPPOSED to be all about,I don't give a rat's ass about King or Queen Elvis,and neither does anyone else on this site,trust me,so go 10 rounds with a kangaroo,like you haven't already,see' ya.
I've sent out an upgraded order of Elvis concerts and various studio collections today. I've decided to get 12 new Elvis releases in one shot this time. I've haven't done that in a while. I usually try to limit them to one or two CD's per order but this month, I wanted to treat myself to some extra stuff. It is very cool. Of course, my wife said something about it but I do not care. I'm excited and I am hoping that I get to hear some more excellent sounding audience recordings and performances. I went for 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974 and 1976. Most of them are Las Vegas shows. Like Len requested, I will let you guys know what I think of them once I recieve them and listen to the CD's.
victor abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#12759 Oct 5, 2013
To Octopus; excellent point Octo, I could not have stated better. In 1978-and 1979, many predicted that the Bay City Rollers would eventually eclipse Elvis in popularity. Where are the Bay City Rollers now? How about all those entertainers from the 1970's and 80's including but not limited to, Bobby Goldsboro, Donny Osmond, Rick Springfield, Judas Priest, Debbie Gibson and thousands of others? All have been largely forgotten by now, yet Elvis still reigns supreme. And the point is correct, Elvis is the most beloved entertainer of all time. He is the most musically streamlined entertainer since 2003, and Graceland has become the most visited place in America. Not bad for an artist who passed away 36 years ago.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12761 Oct 5, 2013
victor abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Octopus; excellent point Octo, I could not have stated better. In 1978-and 1979, many predicted that the Bay City Rollers would eventually eclipse Elvis in popularity. Where are the Bay City Rollers now? How about all those entertainers from the 1970's and 80's including but not limited to, Bobby Goldsboro, Donny Osmond, Rick Springfield, Judas Priest, Debbie Gibson and thousands of others? All have been largely forgotten by now, yet Elvis still reigns supreme. And the point is correct, Elvis is the most beloved entertainer of all time. He is the most musically streamlined entertainer since 2003, and Graceland has become the most visited place in America. Not bad for an artist who passed away 36 years ago.
To me, Elvis is vastly superior to any artist that has ever lived. It is because I've listened to the studio outtakes and was totally blown away by how good Elvis really was. As a live performer, he certainly was the greatest artist that ever set foot on stage. His personality, his talent, his voice, his contact with his band and his audience was unbeatable. Elvis certainly knew how to entertain his fans and the excitement is still there after all these years. And it has even surprised me because in 1977, I never thought that I'd be still listening to Elvis 36 years later. In fact, the music seems to have a life of its own. It changes within time and never grows stale or old. Quite frankly, I do not know how he managed to do it but he did. There is no one on the planet that has or will ever have what Elvis had in terms of that ability. Whatever it was, it was inside of him and it still comes out in the music. Unbelievable, really.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#12762 Oct 5, 2013
To Octopus: I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even that night at the Hollywood Sportatorium, I remember how his persona mesmerized the audience in a way I have never felt before or after. His voice was so unique. As previously stated to you, it reverberated throughout the auditorium majestically. I believe that there is no way to define his greatness nor staying power,36 years after his death psychologist are still trying to comprehend his impact on people and western civilization. I could not fathom that after that unforgettable concert on February 12, 1977 witnessed by my family and I, that his stature would grow so immense, with such unequal iconic grandeur, never to be replicated in the history of popular music. And as you factually stated, "his personality,his talent,his voice, his contact with his band and his audience was unbeatable". Let me add that his achievements as an entertainer are without peer and unparalleled. His fandom keeps amplifying itself globally, the way no artist before or since has even come close. Elvis Presley has truly become the greatest entertainer in the history of show business. Peace out!!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12763 Oct 6, 2013
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Octopus: I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even that night at the Hollywood Sportatorium, I remember how his persona mesmerized the audience in a way I have never felt before or after. His voice was so unique. As previously stated to you, it reverberated throughout the auditorium majestically. I believe that there is no way to define his greatness nor staying power,36 years after his death psychologist are still trying to comprehend his impact on people and western civilization. I could not fathom that after that unforgettable concert on February 12, 1977 witnessed by my family and I, that his stature would grow so immense, with such unequal iconic grandeur, never to be replicated in the history of popular music. And as you factually stated, "his personality,his talent,his voice, his contact with his band and his audience was unbeatable". Let me add that his achievements as an entertainer are without peer and unparalleled. His fandom keeps amplifying itself globally, the way no artist before or since has even come close. Elvis Presley has truly become the greatest entertainer in the history of show business. Peace out!!
Maybe one of these days the Hollywood, Flordia concert will be reissued to you can hear the show again. The short five day tour before that in late December of 1976 was Elvis at his very finest, which ended with his killer New Years Eve concert in Pittsburgh. Elvis certainly was pushing his voice to levels never before achieved by him. Fascinating. It became almost like an Opera with classical elements set to hard driven rock n roll. But not many people know it outside of Elvis fandom. Elvis was brilliant. His voice was getting more powerful and he was changing once again. Of course, I get tired of hearing the same bullshit being repeated of how Elvis was fat and going down hill. I remember when I first heard Elvis's last concert in Indianapolis. It blew my mind. Elvis was vocally the best I've ever heard him. So much different than Omaha and Rapid City that was put on camera the week before.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12764 Oct 6, 2013
*so you can hear the show again...

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12765 Oct 6, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
In the excellent book, "Jailhouse Rock: The Bootleg Records Of Elvis Presley 1970-1983" there was a famous bust made in Memphis in 1980 or so where the FBI raided a Elvis convention and arrested several dealers that were selling Elvis bootlegs to Elvis fans. Then the FBI went after the suppliers of these illegal products in Flordia where a guy and his father were charged and did time in prison. These were sixties culture guys that also did The Beatles and other artists but RCA cracked down on the sale of Elvis because he was the biggest. A few years later, a bitter bootlegger put out an album called, "Elvis's Greatest Shit" that was purposely designed to hurt and mock loyal Elvis fans. And this is where the unfair attacks on Elvis and his fans started. Regardless, Elvis fans remain very loyal and love Elvis very much. At this point, it does not matter how much Elvis really sold. I have bought vinyl LP's, eight tracks, cassettes and finally CD's and I know other Elvis fans have bought their entire collections over again. Whatever what some might want to claim, the fact remains that Elvis is an ongoing phenomenon that has never been repeated in the recording industry. Elvis has nothing more to prove because he sold the real physical product when people were actually buying records. Everything that sells today is just the icing on the cake. I just focus on the music and it still gives me hours of excitement and listening pleasure. I do not care what others might think. I lived through the eighties Heavy Metal era and they were saying that Elvis was dead then. Instead, Heavy Metal died. Elvis will never truly die. My love for him will take me to the end of my life. Not many artists have that power to affect someone through out their entire lives. I have never listened to what someone else might believe. Sorry but it is not going to happen.
It's too bad that incident happened. Even as a child, I recognized Elvis's immense talent and the impact he had and still has. Regardless, I never thought it mattered who sold the most. What matters is people having access to music that gives them so much pleasure. There are many artists, both well known and lesser known whose work I enjoy very much and collect.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#12768 Oct 6, 2013
To Octopus: I am hoping that the Florida concert gets released. That would be an album to add for my collection: Peace out!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12769 Oct 6, 2013
As stated, a new report issued by Billboard magazine divulges the lost record sales of the 1977-1978 period. Moreover it states the documentation was in litigation for many years.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12771 Oct 7, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too bad that incident happened. Even as a child, I recognized Elvis's immense talent and the impact he had and still has. Regardless, I never thought it mattered who sold the most. What matters is people having access to music that gives them so much pleasure. There are many artists, both well known and lesser known whose work I enjoy very much and collect.
Apparently, Ronald Reagan had just signed the anti-piracy law and the FBI went after the Elvis bootleggers. In 1980, Elvis fans gathered in Memphis and booths were set up to sell an array of classic Elvis boots on vinyl. I guess it was RCA that was complaining the loudest but it seems kind of ridiculous to me because the industry was booming. They worried about home taping back then too but were still making countless of millions. Of course, today they have really downsized how many artists that are putting out product. To me, all of them are ignored because I do not care about the new music. In the eighties, I was still buying new records. They are the ones that ruined the industry by just focusing on what they believe what will sell. I have no use for modernized dance pop or alternative rock. It does not interest me at all. The modern country music is just as bad. Background noise.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12772 Oct 7, 2013
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Octopus: I am hoping that the Florida concert gets released. That would be an album to add for my collection: Peace out!!
I'm sure that the 2-12-77 Miami show will be reiussued at some point and perhaps, from a better quality source. The CD that I have is quite old and has a standard slip cover inside the plastic case and has no booklet or liner notes. I'd have to say it was probably put out in the early 90's. The label was "Stage Entertainment" and I do not believe they exist anymore. They have the wrong photograph on the cover that was not from the exact show. Instead, it is Elvis from his summer tour, 1976. It is a decent audience recording though.
DENNIS HAUSER

Peoria, IL

#12773 Oct 7, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octopus,Rick,Dennis and all other Elvis fans!!
check out the latest "USA Today" October 3, 2013 entertainment/Life section: Elvis Presley has topped the list as the most frequently streamed artist of the past decade. He is followed by number 2.Bruce Springsteen and number 3. Pearl jam. In fact, Here's the list of Sound exchanges top ten most digitally streamed artists from 2003 to 2013.
1. Elvis Presley
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Pearl jam
4. Rihanna
5. Drake
6. Usher
7. Lil wayne
8. Beatles
9. Taylor Swift
10.Grateful dead
This proves that Elvis is still the most listened to entertainer in history. Oh and by the way for the naysayers, the best selling artist of all time.
Peace out!!
Hey, Vic. Rick & Octo!

I just saw some very rare photos of Elvis out on his' Harley in Memphis dressed as a cop! Fans took the pics. The event was discribed by Larry Blong. Article from Elvis Australia Fan Club. Very cool.

The Story of Elvis' Stop in Vickers Gas Station, Memphis, October 4, 1976 .
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_stop_in...
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12774 Oct 7, 2013
Is this report a current article in BILLBOARD in regards to the `lost' `77 to `78 Elvis sales documentation,I'll try to find this month's BILLBOARD magazine,I'm just very happy that this critical sales documentation has finally been found and Elvis will finally get the long overdue recognition that he truly deserves,that being that he is the greatest record seller of all time,greater than any solo artist or group,this great artist died sick,sad and truly friendless,showered his love and generosity on people who in the end stabbed him in the back,a kind,humble man whose talent as a singer,recording artist and stage performer remains unmatched to this day,thanks for the additional info,Victor,peace to you .
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12775 Oct 7, 2013
And Billboard magazine should look to replace Fred `braindead' Bronson as editor.He is a Beatle fan who is hellbent on wiping out ALL of Elvis's chart success,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12776 Oct 7, 2013
And I'd LOVE to buy as many Elvis cd's as you,Octo,but my wife insists that I don't,she doesn't want me to `throw my money away',so I don't,just to keep peace and quiet in my house,peace to you.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#12778 Oct 7, 2013
To Rick !! Yea Rick I shall know all about it. This is the main reason that my wife wants to control the checkbook. Moreover many stories are appearing in light of Elvis being the most digitally streamed artist of the past ten years.
Thanks for the article Dennis. It was very entertaining. Finally, I believe it will be Deja Vu
or Redux, much like March 27,1992. That's the date that new independent audited figures catapulted Presley to the top of the heap as the most certified artist of all time. In 2004 Elvis was again awarded over 40 certifications. And of course, in 2010 Elvis eclipsed Garth Brooks as the most successful soloist in history. All this happened when Elvis came from behind to surpass the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson ,billy joel, and Garth Brooks. To reiterate, after new record sale audits, Presley surpass them all, with only the Beatles erroneously placed at number 1, due to Presley's missing sales data.
It's only a matter of time before Elvis gets this long overdue meritorious award as the greatest selling artist from that malfunction trade organization that goes by the name of the Recording Industry Association of America.
Peace out Gentlemen.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12779 Oct 7, 2013
RICK wrote:
And I'd LOVE to buy as many Elvis cd's as you,Octo,but my wife insists that I don't,she doesn't want me to `throw my money away',so I don't,just to keep peace and quiet in my house,peace to you.
I do have too much Elvis and my wife sees it but it does not stop me if I feel the need to treat myself to some new great sounding stuff. I've been very careful about what I purchace but the internet helps because it can tell you if the CD is worth buying. However, I've been criticized as taking it a little too far but I do not care since it is a hobby. And a lot of people buy expensive toys and they wind up sitting in the basement unused. That is the way I look at. If I enjoy listening to the music, it is worth it. It is not like I am spending all my money and neglecting my bills.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#12780 Oct 7, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have too much Elvis and my wife sees it but it does not stop me if I feel the need to treat myself to some new great sounding stuff. I've been very careful about what I purchace but the internet helps because it can tell you if the CD is worth buying. However, I've been criticized as taking it a little too far but I do not care since it is a hobby. And a lot of people buy expensive toys and they wind up sitting in the basement unused. That is the way I look at. If I enjoy listening to the music, it is worth it. It is not like I am spending all my money and neglecting my bills.
I get the feeling that you probably wouldn't care what your wife said about your fanaticism, if she gave you an ultimatum then you would most likely choose Elvis over her. I would love to meet you just to see if you resembled the picture that is in my mind...On second thoughts maybe not, that picture is not pretty.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12784 Oct 8, 2013
Elvis's great nickname is of course The King of Rock and Roll,he's had many nicknames,The Hillbilly Cat,The King of Western Bop,an early one and others as well,but there's one that he had in the `70's that's been forgotten,but he was called this quite often in his last years,`THE WORLD'S GREATEST ENTERTAINER',remember that one,I sure do,peace out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Entertaining examples of psychotic haterz posts... (Nov '10) 6 min Octopus 522
Why does octopus 18 hr Len is Disgusted 8
News Prince Jackson picks up some goodies on a solo ... 18 hr Len is Disgusted 2
News Louis "Thunder Thumbs" Johnson Of The Brothers ... 18 hr Len is Disgusted 3
News Judge to Decide if Jackson Accuser Can Sue Estate Sun Len is Disgusted 656
Autopsy Reveals M. Jackson had a giant 12 inch ... (Jul '09) Sat Octopus 287
News Thriller: Award-winning Michael Jackson tribute... May 20 Sleepingboy 13
More from around the web