150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Read more: talk.livedaily.com 12,855

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Read more
Chris

United States

#12353 Aug 26, 2013
RICK wrote:
Has anyone checked out that special PEOPLE mag that's on the stands,entitled `GONE TOO SOON',it's article on Elvis is scathing and nasty,referring to Elvis's movies as velveeta and only bringing up his last days and his troubles with pills and barely anything else,it's sad to me that even in death Elvis is still a target by shitty rags like PEOPLE,these so called magazines don't have to like him,but at least show this man some RESPECT,I think he's earned it,don't you,peace out.
You're absolutely right, for some reason the so called media likes to trash celebrities. The more famous they are, the more they want to tear them down. They act as if we don't know that celebrities are human like the rest of us. We know Elvis made mistakes, but they don't have to keep reminding us of them. Besides, if the magazine is called gone too soon, you'd think they wouldn't talk about what was, but what could've been.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12373 Aug 28, 2013
myniki813 wrote:
<quoted text>if its not music then why is it so popular ? i would have expected a white person to say something this...rap unlike most music has feelings in it. its REAL poetry. at least old rap was. new rap is getting kida bad, although there are a few good rappers coming out now so maybe one day rap will come back to its former glory...
I think poetry is found in all genres of music. People aren't going to care for certain forms of music, and within each genre, there is going to be worthless garbage. For me, I don't care for country-western music. But even there, I have found artists whose work I actually enjoy.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12375 Aug 28, 2013
Well,Victor,I guess that ceremony you talked about is very secretive in regards to the RIAA awarding Elvis' estate those new gold and platinum discs,you're an insider,did it in fact take place at all,there's no mention of it anywhere,not on the popular Elvis website or anyplace,I'd like to be informed if possible,peace to you.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

#12378 Aug 28, 2013
myniki813 wrote:
<quoted text>wow ur on this thread to ? yes and i agree with yo. if were talking about opinions. but fact would be music is music,bad or not...i can't tell you how many crappy pop,rap,country etc. etc. songs i've heard that have made me either wanna puke, or wanna rip my hair out...
I enjoy the comments people make about Elvis's music. It's helped me know what to look for. Octo also told me the latest Jimi Hendrix recording was fantastic, so I took his advice and bought it. He was right. I have always been a big fan of Jimi's work.
goodperson

Timisoara, Romania

#12380 Aug 29, 2013
RIP MJ!!!!!!!
Michael would have been 54 today!!!!!!!!!
goodperson

Timisoara, Romania

#12381 Aug 29, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>You're absolutely right, for some reason the so called media likes to trash celebrities. The more famous they are, the more they want to tear them down. They act as if we don't know that celebrities are human like the rest of us. We know Elvis made mistakes, but they don't have to keep reminding us of them. Besides, if the magazine is called gone too soon, you'd think they wouldn't talk about what was, but what could've been.
It's the same everywhere...the good and nice don't sell...
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12385 Aug 29, 2013
To Rick,Dennis Hauser and Octopus: My apologies to you gentlemen, in not bringing forth or divulging the latest information in connection to new independent audited figures pertaining to Presley's record sales. I need it to know for sure that my sources were accurate before giving out this information to you gentlemen. First and foremost, the timetable will definitely be before January 8, 2014. New RIAA certifications for the following albums:
AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN-RIAA GOLD
WHITE CHRISTMAS RIAA GOLD
ELVIS BY THE PRESLEY'S RIAA GOLD
CHRISTMAS DUETS RIAA GOLD
ELVIS COUNTRY UPGRADE TO PLATINUM
ESSENTIAL ELVIS UPGRADE TO PLATINUM
Moreover and most important RCA and Sony/BMG executives have located record sales data from 1977 to 1979 that will move Presley's United States album sales to new record sales marks. many Elvis albums never before certified will receive posthumous certifications much like 1992.
I hear that the list of Elvis albums awaiting new certification is astronomical in scope. Some of the albums with new sales audited figures are
POT LUCK,ELVIS FOR EVERYONE,KISSIN COUSINS,FOR LP FANS ONLY, A DATE WITH ELVIS,AND VIRTUALLY ALL OF THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS NEVER BEFORE CERTIFIED.
I also have been told that these new independent audited figures will push Presley's record sales tally over the two hundred million mark in United States Album sales alone. In my opinion this is nothing new, for we can all agree that Elvis Aron Presley is the greatest recording act of all time.
bar none. To think that he holds the record for the most gold, platinum and multiplatinum albums and singles at 257, establishing and furthering his lead ahead of the second place Beatles, and that he is still under certified, just boggles my mind. I should get more information in correlation to this major news announcement that will happen sooner than expected Rick. I will keep you posted . Peace out.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12386 Aug 29, 2013
Also Rick, I forgot to state to you that the Recording Industry Association of America's controversial methods of record sales computation will undergo new formats of sales tabulation. In other words, digital downloads will now be counted and accounted for in sales certifications. Moreover and most importantly, record sales figures will be computed in its entirety. There will be no more in between level sales which hurt the totality of record sales in performers like Presley who have released so many records with only a fraction accounted for by the RIAA. For example, if a record sells 750,000,copies then that record will be accounted 750,000, in sales total in the new method of computation by the RIAA. Previously as you may know, and are aware the record would only be tallied up to 500,000 and be given a gold record award. Now all sales will be accounted for in its totality by the RIAA. Could you imagine how many records Presley will finally get credit for? The words of Michael Omansky (BMG/Sony marketing executive) will be proven prophetic!! He stated for the record that Elvis record sales are not even close to any musical solo artist or group. Presley has probably sold more records than the Beatles, Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson combined, if we were to tally his all time global record sales. Few can dispute the obvious, which is that Elvis Presley is by far the greatest record seller and entertainer of all time. To reiterate, You should be hearing about all these latest developments very soon. Peace out!!
Still Waiting

Ennis, TX

#12387 Aug 30, 2013
@Victor Abreu. I'll believe it only when it happens. I really do hope it does happen, Elvis should get the credit he deserves.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12388 Aug 30, 2013
WOW,Victor,that's some really great news,I always knew that most of the movie soundtracks currently uncertfied,like `KISSIN'COUSINS'and `FUN IN ACAPULCO' were at least gold,I was hearing for years that Elvis'record sales in the twelve months folllowing his death were `lost',and we know Elvis' sales in that time frame were nothing short of astounding,so when this happens I'll be so glad for Elvis,and will confirm once and for all that this man,wildly loved by the public,dismissed by a jealous 60's counterculture media as a talentless hillbilly,is the biggest phenom in show business history,and I'll send all those jerks CROW dinners with `all the fixin's',as they say in the south,peace to you Victor and thanks for the great info.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12389 Aug 30, 2013
Just so you would know Rick: I belong to different Elvis chapters and Fan clubs in South Florida. Two of the biggest fan clubs are named the Eternally Elvis and the TCB fan club. We have a combined total of 7,550 members. Many of these members are doctors, engineers and corporate executives. In other words, professionals who like myself are avid Elvis fans. I am an attorney who believes that justice has not been served in correlation to the discrepancies pertaining to Presley's record sales tabulations. I can only divulge to you, that many of these members are very upset and inhospitable toward the RIAA's lack of veracity in record sales accountability.
Many of these members have been filing complaints and have succeed in removing omissions from Presley's record sales tally. I like to believe that their efforts have not gone in vain.
Case in point: It was only few years ago that Presley started to get his just due from The Recording Industry Association of America.
In the 1990's, just about everyone was ahead of Presley in records sales according to the RIAA.
This was preposterous, but true. Now due to the valiant effort by Presley fans, Elvis has eclipsed
everyone but the Beatles according to the RIAA tally. Even though he leads the Beatles in total certifications by a landslide, for he has 257 awards to the Beatles 148, he still is erroneously
placed at the number 2 spot. I am glad to know that this will soon change. These new independent figures coupled with the modifications in computation methods by the RIAA will finally forever establish Elvis Presley as the greatest record seller of all time without doubt or hesitation. Even the ignorant will finally see the light. As time allows me to I will keep you informed about the latest happenings. Peace to you.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12391 Aug 30, 2013
To Rick: To reiterate, try to remember that in the 1990's according to the RIAA just about every entertainer was ahead of Presley in record sales.
This was preposterous, but true. Now due to the valiant effort by Presley fans to try to make things right in correcting these erroneous sales discrepancies, Elvis has now eclipsed everyone but the Beatles according to the RIAA album sales tally. Even though he leads the Beatles in total sales certifications by a landslide,for he has 257 gold, platinum, and multiplatinum certifications to the Beatles 148, he still is erroneously and maliciously placed at the number 2 spot. I am glad to know that this will soon change. These new independent audited figures coupled with the modifications in computation methods by the RIAA will finally forever establish Elvis Presley as the greatest record seller of all time without any doubt or hesitation.Even the ignorant will finally see the light. As time allows me to from my work schedule, I shall keep you informed about these latest happenings. If these statements sound repetitive, my apologies, I had to make some corrections in grammar from the previous statements and thread. Peace to you my friend !!
Paul

Edwardsville, IL

#12399 Aug 31, 2013
The answer is Elvis.
It is a debateable answer I will admit.
People will choose whom they personally musically prefer and toss out evidence or info that contradicts their personal taste.
Sales before the 1980s are hard to track especially globally-record keeping was mainly hard copy and in Elvis' case those are being looked for and discovered yearly.
Elvis has the most gold, platinum and multi-platinum in RIAA history (including the Beatles) that tells you something about his selling power.
He never had the blockbuster sales of MJS album Thriller but, once again, that was not the goal of his career era-yet he still is mentioned in the top 3 for most album sales.
As has been pointed out, until the early 90s his album sales totals were far behind several artists-until BMG/RCA began a real accounting of his sales.
That accounting is still ongoing.
His first diamond award was given last year for over 10 million in sales for a Christmas album.
There are a couple double albums which should have double the count but because the RIAA changed time requirements for double albums sets-the doubles are counted as one album....the doubles sold for a much larger price and yet only single sale accounting.
Thats more millions stripped from his accredited totals.
But as the legit sales are proved-his totals go up, his gold, platinum, and multi-platinum go up and his lead increases.
He was the top record seller of the 1950s, the second biggest seller of th 1960s and even thought he died in 1977 he was 12th I believe for the 70s.
He has been selling longer that MJ or the Beatles and has many more releases so their totals are for less time and less product-but the question is who has sold the most-not how long did it take with how many releases.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12401 Aug 31, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy the comments people make about Elvis's music. It's helped me know what to look for. Octo also told me the latest Jimi Hendrix recording was fantastic, so I took his advice and bought it. He was right. I have always been a big fan of Jimi's work.
Actually, Len...I picked up a couple more Hendrix titles earlier this evening after taking my wife out to dinner. I got "West Coast Seattle Boy" and "South Saturn Delta" to add to my collection. I've haven't had time to listen to them yet though.

As for Elvis, I did not see the newest Elvis release, "Elvis At Stax" but I've heard that the sound quality is really good and would be a good choice for people who do not have the original albums or box sets that were put together for this two disc set. I've been fortunate to find some great Elvis imports but they are hard to get a hold of if you do not know where to look for them.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12402 Aug 31, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Rick,Dennis Hauser and Octopus: My apologies to you gentlemen, in not bringing forth or divulging the latest information in connection to new independent audited figures pertaining to Presley's record sales. I need it to know for sure that my sources were accurate before giving out this information to you gentlemen. First and foremost, the timetable will definitely be before January 8, 2014. New RIAA certifications for the following albums:
AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN-RIAA GOLD
WHITE CHRISTMAS RIAA GOLD
ELVIS BY THE PRESLEY'S RIAA GOLD
CHRISTMAS DUETS RIAA GOLD
ELVIS COUNTRY UPGRADE TO PLATINUM
ESSENTIAL ELVIS UPGRADE TO PLATINUM
Moreover and most important RCA and Sony/BMG executives have located record sales data from 1977 to 1979 that will move Presley's United States album sales to new record sales marks. many Elvis albums never before certified will receive posthumous certifications much like 1992.
I hear that the list of Elvis albums awaiting new certification is astronomical in scope. Some of the albums with new sales audited figures are
POT LUCK,ELVIS FOR EVERYONE,KISSIN COUSINS,FOR LP FANS ONLY, A DATE WITH ELVIS,AND VIRTUALLY ALL OF THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS NEVER BEFORE CERTIFIED.
I also have been told that these new independent audited figures will push Presley's record sales tally over the two hundred million mark in United States Album sales alone. In my opinion this is nothing new, for we can all agree that Elvis Aron Presley is the greatest recording act of all time.
bar none. To think that he holds the record for the most gold, platinum and multiplatinum albums and singles at 257, establishing and furthering his lead ahead of the second place Beatles, and that he is still under certified, just boggles my mind. I should get more information in correlation to this major news announcement that will happen sooner than expected Rick. I will keep you posted . Peace out.
Your information is great. They have been updating Elvis every few years anyway but I think EPE keeps it fairly quiet and tries not to brag about it. People who want to know can and those who want to continue thinking something else, can. The award hall and the racket ball room (with all of Elvis's current CD awards) at Graceland are a sight to see. Guess they will have to make room for more, huh?
goodperson

Timisoara, Romania

#12404 Sep 1, 2013
A new statue of MJ in Italy!!!!!

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/photostory/cur...
goodperson

Timisoara, Romania

#12405 Sep 1, 2013
"Michael Jackson? He was something more (than one of my favorite entertainers), a true friend. He wasn't just a genius. Above all, he was a good person, who gave so much. He gave people values, he encouraged them to better themselves all the time. He was far deeper and more authentic than people could see. He was misunderstood too many times.
Kobe Bryant

“Brevity is the soule of wit”

Since: May 09

USA

#12406 Sep 1, 2013
goodperson wrote:
A new statue of MJ in Italy!!!!!
0.html
Appropriately it's made of plastic.
Paul

Edwardsville, IL

#12408 Sep 1, 2013
Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.

Little Richard
He was an integrator, Elvis was a blessing. They wouldn't let black music through. He opened the door for black music.

John Lennon
Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Paul McCartney
It was a real thrill sitting there with the King. I mean he was always one of my favorites. I always knew that no matter how I felt if I played an Elvis record it would make me happy. I've always dreamed of producing an album for Elvis.

Sammy Davis Jr.
There was something just bordering on rudeness about Elvis. He never actually did anything rude, but he always seemed as if he was just going to. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate him eleven.

Elton John
It was Elvis that got me interested in music. I've been an Elvis fan since I was a kid.

Cher
The first concert I attended was an Elvis concert when I was eleven. Even at that age he made me realize the tremendous effect a performer could have on an audience.

Isaac Hayes
Elvis was a giant and influenced everyone in the business.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

#12413 Sep 1, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Len...I picked up a couple more Hendrix titles earlier this evening after taking my wife out to dinner. I got "West Coast Seattle Boy" and "South Saturn Delta" to add to my collection. I've haven't had time to listen to them yet though.
As for Elvis, I did not see the newest Elvis release, "Elvis At Stax" but I've heard that the sound quality is really good and would be a good choice for people who do not have the original albums or box sets that were put together for this two disc set. I've been fortunate to find some great Elvis imports but they are hard to get a hold of if you do not know where to look for them.
Let me know when you've had a chance to listen to them. Your information has proven immensely helpful; I'm very appreciative.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blanket jackson the next pop star 5 min MJFRIEND 1
News Profile of a Pedophile: Does Michael Jackson fit? (Dec '08) 30 min MJFRIEND 64,553
f'loon trolls tumblr 2 hr floons are vicious 1
Where did the Greville Janner thread go? 3 hr MJFRIEND 4
News Claim: Michael Jackson Paid at Least $200M to S... 4 hr zepforever 342
Michael Jackson is both, good and bad (Jul '06) 4 hr Sleepingboy 46
News A Rabbi Remembers His Relationship With Michael... 14 hr MJFRIEND 126
Child Molestation Expert: Victims Can Take 20 t... 19 hr Octopus 230
More from around the web