150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12224 Aug 12, 2013
Well,Victor,I'm assuming this is a somewhat hush hush press comference because it doesn't even get a mention in the itinerary of events during this year's Elvis week festivities,oh,well,peace out
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12226 Aug 12, 2013
Hello Rick,Dennis,and Octopus: Very little press coverage is expected to be given. If you gentlemen can remember very little press coverage was given in 1992 when the RIAA awarded Elvis with 110 gold and platinum certifications. Moreover in the year 2007 40 new certifications were added to Presley's album tabulation without any formal press release or conference. I have been hearing from respective fan clubs that Sony/BMG executives Michael Omansky and Ernst Jorgensen have been working with Jack Soden of the Elvis Presley estate concerning a news release pertaining to new independent audited figures in Presley's record sales tally. Gentlemen we can only hope that it will be happening soon, maybe even during Elvis week. Let's hope it happens soon and thus Elvis Presley receives the formal legitimacy that he deserves as the greatest record seller of all time.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12227 Aug 12, 2013
Also gentlemen to add; I belong to five Elvis fan clubs and the discussions going about seems to indicate that many Elvis fans have been voicing their obvious dissatisfaction concerning the certifications versus the sales controversy. Case in point: Presley has a combined total of 257 Gold Platinum and Multiplatinum albums and singles certifications. He is way ahead of the second place Beatles who have a combined total of 148. Yet, Presley only gets credit for 134.5 million units shipped (albums sales only).
Word has circulated that RIAA executives are extremely uncomfortable with the periodic admonishment and criticism given to them by a large aggregate amount of angry Elvis fans. I believe that this is the reason that they are trying to correct this unequivocal error in Presley's record sales tally. I will definitely keep you gentlemen informed about these latest chain of events in correlation to Elvis Presley's latest audited record sales figures tabulations. In conclusion and to reiterate, I will be touching bases with you providing I receive more detailed and factual information about this subject from different Fan club sources. Thank you so much for inquiring. You gentlemen have great day !!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12229 Aug 12, 2013
Gentlemen: I also forgot to state to you the next in line of albums awaiting certification this year by the Recording Industry Association of America.
ELVIS COUNTRY WILL BE UPGRADED TO PLATINUM.
LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS WILL BE CERTIFIED GOLD.
AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN WILL BE CERTIFIED GOLD.
WHITE CHRISTMAS WILL BE CERTIFIED GOLD.
ELVIS BY THE PRESLEY'S WILL BE CERTIFIED GOLD
CHRISTMAS DUETS WILL BE CERTIFIED GOLD.
THE ESSENTIAL ELVIS PRESLEY WILL BE UPGRADED TO PLATINUM:
They are also new independent audited figures for soundtrack albums being tallied for RIAA certification. Rick, as I stated to you, "Fun in Acapulco" is one of 5 soundtrack albums being reconsidered after new independent audited figures
have restructured Presley's records sales data. I hope this news is helpful. To reiterate, have a great day !!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12230 Aug 12, 2013
To Mr Bub. You have made some very good points. There is however a point you forgot to make. Lennon and McCartney are the greatest composers and songwriters in the history of popular Music. They are truly unparalleled and unequal as musicians. I am also a huge Beatle fan who has to recognize their greatness.
You are right, Presley was not a composer in the mode of a Lennon or McCartney. Who is? but Presley was a unique vocalist. Case in point: Compare Mario Lanzas's rendition of "O Sorrento" and listen to Presley's version of the same song "Surrender" or go back to the days of Enrique Caruso and listen to his version of "O Sole Mio" and compare his voice to Presley's translation of the song in its English
format titled 'Its Now Or Never. Moreover listen to "My Way" a song written by Paul Anka and given to
to Frank Sinatra to record. Elvis version is truly unique in vocal artistry. In sum, Presley did not take a back seat to no one. In my opinion he was truly supreme in the delivery of a song or performance. Bar none.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12231 Aug 12, 2013
Finally Mr. Bub, I will conclude with you that Elvis and the Beatles are the two biggest musical revolutions in the history of recorded music. This is why they are still at the top of the musical echelons according to all respectable musical pundits and historians. thank you for your feedback . I enjoyed it immensely.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12232 Aug 12, 2013
To Rick and Dennis : As per the information I have given you. Within the next weeks and months information concerning new albums certifications coupled with new sales data will be posted in the Eternally Elvis Fan club. Check out their web page through Facebook. You can see a video of these die hard Elvis fans dancing on You Tube. There are various chapters throughout the United States. I am one of the members of the Florida chapter. To reiterate this information, some members of this Fan Club hierarchy are in conjunction with the Elvis Presley Estate. The information coming out of this particular Fan club has always been in my estimation, extremely valid and factual. to reiterate, check out their web site. For your information, they will be more albums to be certified than the ones I mentioned in the previous page. I will let you gentlemen know. Peace out gentlemen.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12234 Aug 13, 2013
That's some really great information,Victor,and I'm very happy to know that the RIAA is getting very uncomfortable with the heavy criticism it's gotten from many unhappy Elvis fans,I've been really lacing into this organization on this great site for over 2 years now on how the RIAA has been royally shafting The King in counting[or more accurately,NOT counting]his TRUE record sales,and I do it because us Elvis fans have to stick up for this man,THE 60'S COUNTERCULTURE INFLUENCED MEDIA IN THIS COUNTRY SURE ISN'T GOING TO DO IT,and I'm sorry to say that these same people also run the RIAA,THE IFIP,BILLBOARD,TIME,PEOPLE MAGAZINE AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS,in other words,the greatest artists HAVE to have emerged in the 60's,and anyone who DIDN'T[like Elvis]has to be diminished or tossed aside altogether,but in Elvis's case they have failed MISERABLY,TO THEIR OBVIOUS ANNOYANCE,AND NO ONE IS MORE HAPPY ABOUT THAT THAN I AND ALL US ELVIS FANS,peace to you.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12236 Aug 13, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>I am not an Elvis fans so it is hard for me to imagine how upset you fans get about Elvis not given all the credits or total sales count for his records. It doesn't matter much since he's been dead since 1977.I guess to fans it matters but what difference does it make? He still is King and because of being around so much longer Than the Beatles naturally he has more record sales. More years equals more songs. I'm just happy the Beatles are in second place instead of Michael Jackson. It's much harder for bands that write their own songs to have top spot in record sales. Elvis had good song writers so all he had to do was arrange and record the songs. Had Elvis not been a movie Star I doubt he would of had so many record sales. If he were just a singer his sales may of not been as massive as they are now.At any rate he's already in number one spot so why fret about it ?
That is like saying that because The Beatles broke up in 1970, we shouldn't give em credit for selling anything past that time.

In the current magazine on Elvis, it says that he masterminded his own comeback NBC Special in 1968. So Elvis did more than just arrange and record the songs. He also made sure he had the best sound money could buy for his live performances. Elvis worked hard on his career in music and deserves credit for everything he has done in the entertainment and music industry.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12237 Aug 13, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Hello Rick,Dennis,and Octopus: Very little press coverage is expected to be given. If you gentlemen can remember very little press coverage was given in 1992 when the RIAA awarded Elvis with 110 gold and platinum certifications. Moreover in the year 2007 40 new certifications were added to Presley's album tabulation without any formal press release or conference. I have been hearing from respective fan clubs that Sony/BMG executives Michael Omansky and Ernst Jorgensen have been working with Jack Soden of the Elvis Presley estate concerning a news release pertaining to new independent audited figures in Presley's record sales tally. Gentlemen we can only hope that it will be happening soon, maybe even during Elvis week. Let's hope it happens soon and thus Elvis Presley receives the formal legitimacy that he deserves as the greatest record seller of all time.
This is exciting news and well deserving. I will always be an Elvis fan no matter what but I am glad that these updates are being done for Elvis.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12238 Aug 13, 2013
I absolutely love the new Elvis bootleg CD concert from Las Vegas 8-28-71 released by the Touchdown label called, "Impossible" From the start, the band's playing is hot but Elvis is somewhat buried in the mix. I've been listening to it quite often because 1971 has always been one of my favorite Elvis periods as far as his live performances are concerned. The sound is not perfect, but it rocks! I am looking forward to getting more Elvis for my collection. As the CD goes on, Elvis does seem to come in much more clear. On the headphones, I've noticed how fluid Ronnie Tutt's drum sound is. It was an amazing night that I am glad that someone captured it from the audience. "Polk Salad Annie" is especially fine. Rock n roll all the way. I recommend the concert CD for any Elvis fan that wants to hear a great rock performance. Even the ballads have a rock edge to them.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12243 Aug 14, 2013
Octopus wrote:
I absolutely love the new Elvis bootleg CD concert from Las Vegas 8-28-71 released by the Touchdown label called, "Impossible" From the start, the band's playing is hot but Elvis is somewhat buried in the mix. I've been listening to it quite often because 1971 has always been one of my favorite Elvis periods as far as his live performances are concerned. The sound is not perfect, but it rocks! I am looking forward to getting more Elvis for my collection. As the CD goes on, Elvis does seem to come in much more clear. On the headphones, I've noticed how fluid Ronnie Tutt's drum sound is. It was an amazing night that I am glad that someone captured it from the audience. "Polk Salad Annie" is especially fine. Rock n roll all the way. I recommend the concert CD for any Elvis fan that wants to hear a great rock performance. Even the ballads have a rock edge to them.
Octo, I got the SOLD OUT set after your recommendation.

I enjoyed the Tulsa show.

But the Cleveland show was less than average, and Elvis was obviously out of it.

The inclusion of the four-line Turn Around, Look At Me with the set was unnecessary, IMO, especially seeing as it was in better quality than the two full shows. Plus there's a virtually complete version available from 1975 rather than just the four lines (after 30 seconds of chatter) we got here.

Also picked up TANYA FOR DINNER. Despite the stupid title, it's a very good show. I've always had a fondness for Vegas March-April '75; I've never heard a bad show from that engagement.

King Elvis.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12244 Aug 14, 2013
So King Elvis is actually a woman,so calling her Queen Elvis was accurate after all,BUT SHE'S STILL ANNOYING AS HELL,peace out.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12247 Aug 14, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a great audience recording from Las Vegas 8-21-70 MS called "Hot August Night" which had Neil Diamond introduced by Elvis from the stage. Great show!
My friend got the new CBS tapes release and said the same thing you just told me. I'm glad I didn't waste my money. At least, "Sold Out" contains two shows that were not in my collection. I do have the 1:30 afternoon show in Tulsa on 3-2-74 in a very poor sounding audience that sounds like the taper was a bit far from the stage but it was a good concert.
My friend told me to listen to Cleveland first and there is some very interesting dialogue. I can tell Elvis was a bit annoyed but he was trying hard to control himself. I could swear he actually yelled at one of the guys on stage to "Get Up" !!! Then he calmed down. It reminds me of the studio outtake of "Always On My Mind" in 1972. A very unusual "Bridge Over Troubled Water" done straight without the showstopping passionate high notes. I'll let you hear the rest for yourself. I had to listen to it again. The show isn't that bad.
This is what I wrote for the FTD release. Since getting the bootleg, "Impossible" I've really haven't been listening to "Sold Out" that much. It is standard FTD material. The bootleggers still come up with better Elvis performances. I am not sure why that is. My Elvis friend from NY City likes the Cleveland concert better because of the excellent quality sound and the dialogue. Of course, Elvis was a little out of it but I found it much more interesting than Tulsa, which was just a standard set list with very little dialogue between the songs.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12248 Aug 14, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Octo, I got the SOLD OUT set after your recommendation.
I enjoyed the Tulsa show.
But the Cleveland show was less than average, and Elvis was obviously out of it.
The inclusion of the four-line Turn Around, Look At Me with the set was unnecessary, IMO, especially seeing as it was in better quality than the two full shows. Plus there's a virtually complete version available from 1975 rather than just the four lines (after 30 seconds of chatter) we got here.
Also picked up TANYA FOR DINNER. Despite the stupid title, it's a very good show. I've always had a fondness for Vegas March-April '75; I've never heard a bad show from that engagement.
King Elvis.
After checking, "Tanya For Dinner" Las Vegas 3-28-75 DS is certainly a concert that I do not have. Straight Arrow releases some good stuff.(you are correct about the stupid title though)

My friend wants the newly discovered soundboard show from 8-28-76 matinee, which is probably not worth getting since the famous review said it was a disaster.

I liked Elvis's overall engagement in Las Vegas August-September 1974 the best but his March-April 1975 was great also. I recently listened to Elvis's Pontiac '75 show from New Years eve of that year and it still wasn't a bad show.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12249 Aug 14, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>No that's not what I'm saying at all. Even Paul Mccartney makes sure he has the best sound engineers for his live shows in huge venues like Rio in Brasil and the old King Dome in Seattle. What I meant was Elvis had it easier than the Beatles because he didn't have to write and compose his songs and he really didn't have to work out the instrumentations since he mostly just sang. He didn't have to Arrange the music or melodies he just had to arrange to vocals and figure out how to do the songs live and be at his best.The tempo to most of his songs were already handed to him. The bridges and chorus to songs were already done so hell yeah he had it much easier than Lennon, Mccartney, and Harrison.Elvis just had to figure out who he wanted to sing backup and who he wanted as musicians to play live or studio. I'm sure he had plenty of help. I'm not knocking Elvis Octo because what he did worked and it worked so great he became the King of Pop and the highest seller of Pop tunes and Gold records during his 30 year career.
I have a lot of Beatles studio outtakes of them working in the studio but not as much as I do of Elvis. Most of the time, Elvis recorded live with his band and he was the only one calling the shots. He told his musicians and back up singers what he wanted. He arranged most of the songs, changed lyrics and the band played to Elvis's instructions. Elvis very rarely copied the demo unless it was some of the movie soundtrack material, which he did not really care about. I recently listened to "I Got My Mojo Workin'" as the ace take. It was done with chicken picking guitar, almost like blue grass. The original master was not like that because Felton Jarvis overdubbed a new backing of strings to it afterwards and completely butchered the song.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12250 Aug 14, 2013
The main difference between Elvis and The Beatles is quite obvious. George Martin had a role in splicing and dicing sound effects, tape loops from different takes to create the master whereas, Elvis created the master by doing take by take with overdubbing of strings sometimes added afterwards. Of course, Elvis sometimes complained to RCA after the records were released.

McCartney has a clean and perfect live sound as heard on his most recent live work but it still doesn't make it a great live recording. Besides, he is starting to lose his vocal ability as of late. I was talking about Elvis's return to live performing in 1969. Elvis demanded top of the line sound in that era, which was designed for the huge showroom in Las Vegas.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12251 Aug 14, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>No that's not what I'm saying at all. Even Paul Mccartney makes sure he has the best sound engineers for his live shows in huge venues like Rio in Brasil and the old King Dome in Seattle. What I meant was Elvis had it easier than the Beatles because he didn't have to write and compose his songs and he really didn't have to work out the instrumentations since he mostly just sang. He didn't have to Arrange the music or melodies he just had to arrange to vocals and figure out how to do the songs live and be at his best.The tempo to most of his songs were already handed to him. The bridges and chorus to songs were already done so hell yeah he had it much easier than Lennon, Mccartney, and Harrison.Elvis just had to figure out who he wanted to sing backup and who he wanted as musicians to play live or studio. I'm sure he had plenty of help. I'm not knocking Elvis Octo because what he did worked and it worked so great he became the King of Pop and the highest seller of Pop tunes and Gold records during his 30 year career.
Elvis was The King Of Rock N Roll but decided to go all over the board musically. If you still can not understand that, it is your loss. The Beatles did not always do rock tunes either, you know. Elvis only recorded from 1954-1976. 1959, 1974 and 1977 were the only years Elvis did not record anything new in the recording studio. Elvis did it all in just over twenty years, not 30. I think it was The Beatles that had plenty of help. George Martin...
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12254 Aug 14, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>At the very first Elvis was recorded real simple. Basically playing live in the studio with just 3 backing musicians. I'm not sure how the Beatles recorded. George Martin had a good ear for giving a song what it needed.I think RCA was just in a hurry to get the next Elvis album out because they knew it would sell fast.Kind of like what Capitol Records did to the Beatles. Elvis in 1969 was at his best I'm sure in Vegas he had real good sound techs and good PA equipment to work with.I haven't got to hear any of his bootlegs but some of the Beatle bootlegs don't sound all that well to me.
If you think "My Bonnie" "Cry For A Shadow" or "Loved Of The Loved" is better than "That's All Right" "Good Rockin' Tonight" "Trying To Get To You" or "Milk Cow Blues Boogie" you certainly need a new pair of ears, pal. Elvis was always superior to the fruity Beatles from the get go. It took Elvis months to become a millionare, whereas The Beatles were playing clubs for eight years before Brian Epstein and George Martin helped them break. And even then, they still did not know how to stay in tune half the time. Their live performances were especially horrible. The Rolling Stones were more professional. The Beatles live boots like "Live At The BBC" had bad sound quality, bad performances. Quite frankly, George Martin made them sound fairly good in the studio.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12255 Aug 14, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>Not my loss because I'm not an Elvis fan. He was too much of a ladies man and too much of a glamourous movie star for me. I liked him best in his 1968 comeback because he sat down and played guitar looked cool in black leather and was in good shape. I saw the movie the way it was and Elvis looked buzzed and was sloppy on his performance and kept forgetting the words and almost fell down at one point.Only a hardcore fan could of enjoyed that performance.
Your loss.

Whatever, Bubba.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Jackson Chat Room! (Dec '12) Aug 23 briana 65
One of MJ's "special friends" disclosed on MJ's... (Jul '13) Aug 7 Spotted Wee 126
News Paul McCartney fights to get back his songs Aug 5 sleepingboy 201
zionist jew conspiracy against MJ Aug 3 Spotted Wee 6
News Jackson's ex-doc details star's alleged attract... Jul 27 Jacko was a slime... 1
News Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley,... (Dec '09) Jul 27 Chaimpie 7,216
Michael Jackson had semen stains from other mal... (Sep '12) Jul '16 Justice 1,877
More from around the web