'Superbad' -

'Superbad' -

There are 3 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 15, 2007, titled 'Superbad' -. In it, Newsday reports that:

"Rush Hour," Smush Hour! If you want a comic duo that's more original, more daring and - oh, by the way - funnier than Chris and Jackie, "Superbad" submits for your approval Jonah Hill and Michael Cera, the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Caroligne

United States

#1 Oct 9, 2007
I completely disagree with the following:

"What needs to be said about "Superbad" - as with "Knocked Up" and other Apatow projects - is that no matter how outrageously prurient things get, you never once feel as though you're being jabbed in the ribs or shoved face-first into the muck of hormonal excess."

No way this statement is across-the-board true. I tried to see this with my 13-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter. I was so grossed out by being shoved face-first into the muck of hormonal excess that we walked out after 5 minutes. It was dreadful ... horrible. HORRIBLE! Yes, I had to drag my son away, but it was just so disgusting and CONSTANT ... there was NO RELIEF from the relentless nausea-inducing "I'd like to ... her" epithets.

*sheesh* It drives me crazy when I get online to read a movie review in an effort to try to assess if it's appropriate or worth seeing, and the reviewer makes statements like this that not only DON'T warn parents but miss the mark ENTIRELY regarding tone or content. Yes, I realize it was an R-rated film, but the above statement by Gene Seymour is 180 degrees from what I experienced.

He's lost credibility with me as a flick reviewer.
NOT Bill Oreilly

Syracuse, NY

#2 Oct 10, 2007
Caroligne, no matter what the reviewer said, you probably shouldn't have brought two children to it without further investigating the film on its content. I also saw the film a few months ago and will agree that it was VERY raunchy. However, I knew this going into the film. Next time, just to be safe, I'd pick a film rated PG-13 or lower to see with the kids.
BlackChild

Johnston, RI

#3 Nov 13, 2007
Caroligne wrote:
I completely disagree with the following:
"What needs to be said about "Superbad" - as with "Knocked Up" and other Apatow projects - is that no matter how outrageously prurient things get, you never once feel as though you're being jabbed in the ribs or shoved face-first into the muck of hormonal excess."
No way this statement is across-the-board true. I tried to see this with my 13-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter. I was so grossed out by being shoved face-first into the muck of hormonal excess that we walked out after 5 minutes. It was dreadful ... horrible. HORRIBLE! Yes, I had to drag my son away, but it was just so disgusting and CONSTANT ... there was NO RELIEF from the relentless nausea-inducing "I'd like to ... her" epithets.
*sheesh* It drives me crazy when I get online to read a movie review in an effort to try to assess if it's appropriate or worth seeing, and the reviewer makes statements like this that not only DON'T warn parents but miss the mark ENTIRELY regarding tone or content. Yes, I realize it was an R-rated film, but the above statement by Gene Seymour is 180 degrees from what I experienced.
He's lost credibility with me as a flick reviewer.
Although you as well as other parents may have found the film to be terrible, it is understandable. Unfortunately, the culture that is portrayed in film is an accurate portrayal of the average adolescent male experience today. Perhaps when you were young you did not see or hear any, or most of the things you saw in the film. I saw the film myself and being a young man in today's society, it struck a cord with me because that is what I am surrounded with on a daily basis. Most teenage boys especially junior and senior high schoolers will tell you they understand the situations the boys in the movie are in. In today's over sexualized, violence-glorifying, potty-humored entertainment world, this film is just a reflection of what young people see everyday in school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Cera Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Cera NAKED: NUDE Videos and Photos (Nov '12) Mar '15 john 2
News CPT107118082_high.jpg (Jul '13) Jul '13 Terry 1
News Netflix says new 'Arrested Development' will st... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Ada 1
News Diablo Cody, 'Young Adult,' and Pushing the Env... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Fred ABQ 1
News 'Arrested Development' Cast Reuniting (Sep '11) Sep '11 CharlesP 1
Michael Cera nude (Sep '11) Sep '11 Stefania 1
News Michael Cera Interview (Dec '10) Dec '10 Maureen Blazich 1
More from around the web