John Cusack on celebrity
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Omaha, NE

#1 Dec 6, 2007
John Cusack just did an interview on Inside the Actors Studio. He sounded very much like MM when he responded to a question about America’s obsession with celebrity. He said we didn’t used to be obsessed with having to know all the private details about actors, and that what they had to say, who they were, could be seen through their work. He said the mystery of not knowing every intimate detail about someone is good - why would you want to take that away? Almost exactly what MM has said in interviews.

Also, they are both similar in their desire to take on different and challenging roles. And they are both great at showing their vulnerable and sensitive sides. Hmmm… just an observation.

Since: Apr 07

San Francisco

#2 Dec 6, 2007
John Cusack bears a striking resemblance to a certain someone also...hmmmmm. I have read Brad Pitt quoted as saying that too, what a coincidence!

IMHO I think they are NOT the same in their acting style. MM is so much mmmmmmmmore!

“Hey hey.”

Since: Aug 07

Chesapeake,VA

#3 Dec 6, 2007
GAH! It's Matthew's twin! LOL! J/K.

He does sound familiar and I agree with what he says about America's obsession with celebrities.

Thanks Cloudpeak.
Rackon

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Dec 6, 2007
I saw the interview too.

I've always liked JC's work and followed him for many years. Since he's from Chicago (less than 3 hours away and where I lived for 6 years), I've seen plays he's directed there with New Crime Productions (including a naked Jeremy Piven in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas). I've met him a few times. He HATES being in the limelight, bless him.

He's very bright and politically committed. It's too bad he hasn't gotten as many good roles as his talent warants. He's supposed to be quite good in Grace Is Gone.

He does facially resemble MM, and he's tall too at 6'2". I get quite tired of all the posts over at IMDB about how much MM looks like him. It's only superficial.

They aren't a thing alike personality-wise, though they do share respect for the mystery of the craft.

“Well beyond bewitched”

Since: Dec 06

Jacksonville, FL

#5 Dec 6, 2007
Oh why don't I have TV? I mean I have TV, but not cable or satellite ... ok - you tube search ...

Omaha, NE

#6 Dec 7, 2007
Kathy SF California wrote:
IMHO I think they are NOT the same in their acting style. MM is so much mmmmmmmmore!
I must agree Kathy. I like John Cusack, think he's a remarkable actor and interesting person, but MM moves me like no other. Whenever I watch anyone else and think they are talented or have a great screen presence, and then watch MM, I feel a sense of relief and joy. There is really no one else like MM.
spanish

Sevilla, Spain

#7 Dec 7, 2007
sorry my poor english . I think MM only one.

Omaha, NE

#8 Dec 7, 2007
Rackon wrote:
I saw the interview too.
I've always liked JC's work and followed him for many years. Since he's from Chicago (less than 3 hours away and where I lived for 6 years), I've seen plays he's directed there with New Crime Productions (including a naked Jeremy Piven in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas). I've met him a few times. He HATES being in the limelight, bless him.
He's very bright and politically committed. It's too bad he hasn't gotten as many good roles as his talent warants. He's supposed to be quite good in Grace Is Gone.
He does facially resemble MM, and he's tall too at 6'2". I get quite tired of all the posts over at IMDB about how much MM looks like him. It's only superficial.
They aren't a thing alike personality-wise, though they do share respect for the mystery of the craft.
I was impressed by JC's intelligence and fearlessness in expressing his views. And he is quite funny and has a kindness about him, too.

I wish MM was a little less worried about what others think of him, but it is part of who he is. This quote by him, on learning an American accent, is telling:

"Our British tendency is to be very apologetic, with Americans (adopts accent) everything is said and there’s no apology at all."
JessSeamusMalcol m

Brunswick, GA

#9 Dec 7, 2007
I think John Cusack is cute. Matthew is far more than that. Matthew has far more prescence. It is probably is voice. I do like John Cusack for his "juvenalia" as well as some of his adult work, particularly "High Fidelity" and "Grosse Point Blank." I haven't seen his more recent "serious" dramatic films.

I think it's THE VOICE. John Cusack doesn't really have a voice to behold.

San Francisco

#10 Dec 7, 2007
Cloudpeak wrote:
<quoted text>
I must agree Kathy. I like John Cusack, think he's a remarkable actor and interesting person, but MM moves me like no other. Whenever I watch anyone else and think they are talented or have a great screen presence, and then watch MM, I feel a sense of relief and joy. There is really no one else like MM.
Yes...and when I see anyone who "looks" like MM, I think of MM!! Like Goran Visnjic for example, the Croatian guy on ER? Nice but...not MM! Nothing wrong with superficial, it's just fun.

Anyway, it's the TDH type me thinks we here like, LOL!

On the subject of JC, he's too much a memory from my past (Say Anything *cringe* LOL) for me to give him any sort or nod. He's also a womanizer...so I have read;) oops, too much knowledge..he he he!

Since: Sep 07

United States

#11 Dec 7, 2007
Has any one seen "1408"? He was AWESOME in it!That movie scared the heck out of me.
I like him as an actor, He can play a lot of different types of rolls.(Like MM)
I think he and MM do look kind of similar.
They are both very expressive (which is probably important in acting).

Omaha, NE

#12 Dec 7, 2007
spanish wrote:
Hi Spanish. Your English is good enough to say what is important! I think MM is only one too!!

Omaha, NE

#13 Dec 7, 2007
Kathy SF California wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...and when I see anyone who "looks" like MM, I think of MM!!
I do the same thing! One of the few shows I always watch on TV is The Office (American version) and I'm sure my enjoyment has grown because of John Krasinsky, who reminds me of MM. Not that I think they are alike, just that he evokes thoughts of MM. I always feel the need to follow an Office episode with a bit of MM. I guess JK is the appetizer, MM is the REAL THING that makes life so much sweeter. Oh, and I had the strangest feeling the other day while watching JK. He made some move - can't remember now if it was a turn of the head, a look, an expression - but it was trademark MM, and I actually did a double-take. Of course I immediately imagined that JK was an admirer of MM and was emulating the master. LOL!!
spanish

Vigo, Spain

#14 Dec 8, 2007
Cloudpeak wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Spanish. Your English is good enough to say what is important! I think MM is only one too!!
Tank you.Muchas gracias.In the film Death at a funeral MM is great,he´s so sensitive and sweet. Simply perfect.

San Francisco

#15 Dec 8, 2007
Cloudpeak wrote:
<quoted text>
I do the same thing! One of the few shows I always watch on TV is The Office (American version) and I'm sure my enjoyment has grown because of John Krasinsky, who reminds me of MM. Not that I think they are alike, just that he evokes thoughts of MM. I always feel the need to follow an Office episode with a bit of MM. I guess JK is the appetizer, MM is the REAL THING that makes life so much sweeter. Oh, and I had the strangest feeling the other day while watching JK. He made some move - can't remember now if it was a turn of the head, a look, an expression - but it was trademark MM, and I actually did a double-take. Of course I immediately imagined that JK was an admirer of MM and was emulating the master. LOL!!
Oh how sad, Cloud! The far reaching affects these tragedies have, someone you knew invloved, tragic indeed! I am glad you are o.k. here's to hope for healing for your community. Very sensless but hopefully your community will find solace and support in one another, which sounds like they are already are!

San Francisco

#16 Dec 8, 2007
oops that was for the other thread. Same sentiments I will post it there, Cloud.

San Francisco

#17 Dec 8, 2007
Cloudpeak wrote:
<quoted text>
What what I was going to reply to on this...

I see some of his expressions like that also, one when I watched Serendipity. But somehow he is just not the "MASTER", lol!

“Matthew in NYC!”

Since: Dec 06

Bronx, NY

#18 Dec 8, 2007
Does anyone know when this will be shown again?

“Dr. Fantasy”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#19 Dec 10, 2007
spanish wrote:
Exactly!

“Dr. Fantasy”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#20 Dec 10, 2007
Sue L wrote:
Has any one seen "1408"? He was AWESOME in it!That movie scared the heck out of me.
I like him as an actor, He can play a lot of different types of rolls.(Like MM)
I think he and MM do look kind of similar.
They are both very expressive (which is probably important in acting).
Hi Sue!! I just watched it last week!!! Really great movie!!! I was all confused by the end, which IMO is the key to a good thriller!!!! I also loved John in "Runaway Jury"... he was excellent!!! got rid of my "Better off Dead" image of him!!! And "Must Love dogs" was very cute!:))

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matthew Macfadyen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone alive out there?? Jun '16 Kathy SF California 2
matthew macfadyen official website (Dec '06) May '16 Christina Reid A... 98
Christina Reid Great Fan (Dec '15) Dec '15 christina reid Gr... 1
matthew you are special. (Dec '14) Dec '15 NLE 214365 2
Matthew Macfadyen is Truly Gorgeous (Aug '14) Aug '15 christina reid Gr... 6
matthew you are so perfect. (Jun '15) Jun '15 cHRISTINA rEID GR... 1
i love matthew macfadyen (May '15) May '15 cHRISTINA rEID GR... 1
More from around the web