TV Ratings: Viewers select CBS Sunday - 'Desperate Housewives' ...

Full story: Zap2it.com

Marcia Cross of 'Desperate Housewives' Fast National ratings for Sunday, March 15, 2009 "Desperate Housewives" gave ABC Sunday's best demographic numbers, but more people were watching CBS.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
smitty

Grass Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

I watched kings its pretty interesting too bad it wont stay on for very long.
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

So Kings did not do well... I wonder who could possibly have predicted that... ;)

In related news, this was not one of zap2it's best efforts: too much emphasis on ABC even though it didn't win the night.
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

Apparently, NBC purchased some good reviews from the same people that are lauding Battlestar Galactica and Friday Night Lights, so look for NBC to wring its hand in pain stating that "you just can't do quality these days on TV" and justify their abandonment of the 10-11pm timeslot next year.

One would think GE would be really upset to see a great asset like NBC waste away in a sea of bad ratings...
Hot Pocket

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

If you felt like you wasted your time watching Kings last night due to bad ratings then you should probably do this in the future. Unless its a procedural wait until the ratings come out then watch it afterwords.
Jeff

Bayport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

What a shame. I was looking forward to "Kings", because the reviews were really good and any show with Ian McShane is always worth watching. However, with anemic ratings like these, I can't see wasting my time as cancellation might be in its immediate future.
Pilkdownman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

I don't care about the ratings or the critiques; 'Kings' was the best thing on last night. NBC is just getting a raw deal. They also have the best show on Friday nights; 'Friday Night Lights'. To get high ratings it seems you have to put on serious procedurals or brain-dead reality. I believe NBC is the good semaritan getting kicked in the knees for trying to help granny across the street.
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Jeff wrote:
What a shame. I was looking forward to "Kings", because the reviews were really good and any show with Ian McShane is always worth watching. However, with anemic ratings like these, I can't see wasting my time as cancellation might be in its immediate future.
Once again I'll pooint out that reviews are wholly irrelevant. Actually good reviews seem to have a negative impact on the commercial viability of shows and to my mind a negative correlation to its quality.
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

Pilkdownman wrote:
I don't care about the ratings or the critiques; 'Kings' was the best thing on last night. NBC is just getting a raw deal. They also have the best show on Friday nights; 'Friday Night Lights'. To get high ratings it seems you have to put on serious procedurals or brain-dead reality. I believe NBC is the good semaritan getting kicked in the knees for trying to help granny across the street.
More simply, your idea of what makes a good show is not other people's idea.

On Friday Night Lights for instance, I think it's one of the worst made TV show that was ever produced. The shaky camera killed it dead in the ratings and it will never recover unless it starts being well-made (which of course the producers don't seem to want to hear).
Alan 59

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Do you want to know why many shows have lousy ratings? Read the comments above. Of five posters, two argue that a series should not be watched (and therefore supported) unless you're confident that it will not cancelled soon. As I've written before, would you refuse to ask out a woman because she might break up with you?(And she will.)

If you enjoy a program, watch it. If there are enough of you, then it might even make a difference in the series' survival.

Not that that's going to save "Kings," of course.
Shawn

Marcus Hook, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Alan 59 wrote:
Do you want to know why many shows have lousy ratings? Read the comments above. Of five posters, two argue that a series should not be watched (and therefore supported) unless you're confident that it will not cancelled soon. As I've written before, would you refuse to ask out a woman because she might break up with you?(And she will.)
If you enjoy a program, watch it. If there are enough of you, then it might even make a difference in the series' survival.
This makes absolute sense to me. It also hints at the success of CBS. People will EASILY tune in to watch a new CBS crime procedural because...well...no surprise...they're all practically the same show. You already know what you're getting before stepping on board. It's a pathetic state of affairs for television for sure.

After watching both hours of "Kings" I have to say it was the best(IMHO) premiere of a new show this entire season. I think a few reviewers were correct in stating there really isn't anything else on television quite like it, but see...

There lies the problem. Sure "Kings" isn't an all around perfect show, but what I can appreciate about NBC is that every once in a while they will take a chance ON SOMETHING NEW AND REFRESHING. Same goes for Fox and ABC. Unfortunately NBC seems to be so desperate for a hit that they'll just as easily fukk up a good thing just to pander to a particular audience. "Heroes" anyone?

I'll continue to watch "Kings", but I expect it to be thrown to the wastelands known as Saturday night primetime. In that case...I'll have the DVR ready and set to tape.
michael

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

I thought Kings was pretty good. I will watch it until the cancel it.
michael

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Going up against Desperate Housewives, Cold Case, and the Fox animated shows is tough. Move Kings to a better time slot
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Alan 59 wrote:
This is actually a complete bafflement to me. I keep hearing that "they don't give shows a chance anymore" when in reality, the networks have never been so patient with shows. They used to cancel hit shows at the slightest sign of a ratings slide and would cancel half of their new shows within a month or two.

Nowadays they let shows like Friday Night Lights stink up the ratings for years...

And that's why they're having trouble finding hits.
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

michael wrote:
Going up against Desperate Housewives, Cold Case, and the Fox animated shows is tough. Move Kings to a better time slot
Desperate Housewives is the only real hit of all these.

It's not such a difficult time slot at all.

Truly, there is no such thing as a very difficult time slot any longer. Even American Idol is not drawing that many viewers away from the other networks.

The difficulty is very relative and has more to do with genre (ie. you wouldn't want another talent competition against AI or a crime drama against CSI) but the available audience to draw from is huge and most of your potential market is people who don't watch anything on network TV at that moment.

I'm sure the networks look at that as scary, but I'd look at it more as a great opportunity for all new shows.
Shawn

Marcus Hook, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Rena Moretti wrote:
<quoted text>
This is actually a complete bafflement to me. I keep hearing that "they don't give shows a chance anymore" when in reality, the networks have never been so patient with shows. They used to cancel hit shows at the slightest sign of a ratings slide and would cancel half of their new shows within a month or two.
Nowadays they let shows like Friday Night Lights stink up the ratings for years...
And that's why they're having trouble finding hits.
Well let us use a little bit of common sense here. It's not that the networks aren't giving these shows a chance...it's the viewing public. There have been quite a few shows aired over the past 3 years worthy of being a "hit". Those shows were given plum spots and the viewers just didn't care to watch them. They were already comfortable with their abundance of reality shows and medical/police procedurals.

By the way...I can't do "House" anymore.

It's only human to be completely set in your ways being with religion, politics, sex, drugs, etc. It's all entertainment really so why should viewing television be any different? Some people aren't going to be any more acceptable towards watching something "refreshing" on television than they would be willing to vote for a biracial president.

Change...even when the writing and production value is outstanding...can still be a "threat" to anyone comfortable with what's familiar....especially when "familiar" seems safe enough not to challenge your intellect.
Rena Moretti

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Shawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Well let us use a little bit of common sense here. It's not that the networks aren't giving these shows a chance...it's the viewing public. There have been quite a few shows aired over the past 3 years worthy of being a "hit". Those shows were given plum spots and the viewers just didn't care to watch them. They were already comfortable with their abundance of reality shows and medical/police procedurals.
By the way...I can't do "House" anymore.
It's only human to be completely set in your ways being with religion, politics, sex, drugs, etc. It's all entertainment really so why should viewing television be any different? Some people aren't going to be any more acceptable towards watching something "refreshing" on television than they would be willing to vote for a biracial president.
Change...even when the writing and production value is outstanding...can still be a "threat" to anyone comfortable with what's familiar....especially when "familiar" seems safe enough not to challenge your intellect.
Thank you for a well thought-out, cogent and intelligent post.

I'll look forward to more like those from you.:)

To contrast with what you said, I think the role of promotion is very important. I have heard a lot of good things about Kings, but the posters and trailers were so awful that it's no surprise it did not debut well.

Another example was My Own Worst Enemy. Besides the fact that the concept was brain-dead and somebody should have noticed before going to series, the show was extremely well-made. The trailers made it look like a shakycam special, which is the opposite of the way it was directed.

In that case, I think the show would have ultimately died of the ridiculous concept but the promotion was so off-base that it didn't even have a chance at all.

Speaking of off-base, those promos showed that NBC thinks that shaking the camera is bringing the viewers is, and once again were proved wrong (but don't hold your breath - they'll blame anything other than what they think of as "hip").

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Marcia Cross Discussions

Search the Marcia Cross Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
May 6 2012 TV worth watching: 'Once Upon A Time... (May '12) May '12 Really KMBC 1
'Witch's Lament' saddens Desperate Housewives :... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Come on 1
'Desperate Housewives' Recap: Tom Cheats On Lyn... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Hannellene 1
Marcia Cross nude - pics and videos (Mar '11) Mar '11 Nina 1
Vanessa Williams Housewives New Star (Sep '10) Sep '10 Teri Hatcher Nude 1
Marcia Cross and her twins enjoy day at the bea... (Jun '10) Jun '10 JMT 1
Marcia Cross Petitions Congress (Jan '08) Mar '09 fsgsydney 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••