Night of drinking gave birth to Neon Desert Festival idea

There are 57 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 29, 2011, titled Night of drinking gave birth to Neon Desert Festival idea. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Joe Madrid of El Paso Tents and Events sets up the roof of one of the 17 tents erected for the Neon Desert Music Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
hugo stiglitz

United States

#41 Apr 30, 2011
Rush Woman wrote:
<quoted text>
aaah, you disappointed another woman in bed when she saw your thing. That's if you can even get women. Don't be jealous. And don't say you're a woman because it obvious you are not.
Waaah waaaaah waaaah (thats all I heard, just move on to another topic lil buddy)
Drunks in Charge

El Paso, TX

#42 Apr 30, 2011
"...We all had hangovers, and we all wrote down an idea...."

"....That alcohol-fueled idea becomes a sobering reality today...."

How pathetic and sad that our whole Downtown is seen as nothing better than a large drunk tank.

Can't the city provide ANY Family Friendly entertainment?

Hope the Police have DWI Checkpoints ready.

We already have way too many DRUNK & DOPED DRIVERS every weekend.
Ese

United States

#43 Apr 30, 2011
Ben W wrote:
It takes A LOT of dedication to plan and execute an event like this. Few could, they did. Congrats Splendid Sun!
No it doesn't. Didn't you read? All it takes is to be a drunk special ed teacher.
reader

El Paso, TX

#44 Apr 30, 2011
Well, I was sitting down in the toilet taking a sh...t and I came with an awesome idea too. Great story.
Fat Rappoport

El Paso, TX

#45 Apr 30, 2011
after an all nighter did they get in their cars and drive under the influence??
el ojete

El Paso, TX

#46 Apr 30, 2011
Mejicano wrote:
A great idea hatched during a drunkard spree, what an inspirational message.
This is precisely what our city needs and our city leaders espouse, downtown revialization.
It will be interesting how many DWI arrests will take place on this evening. MADD must be elated with this event.
Viva La Sober Raza!
Que verguenza, and they openly state it:"night of drinking gave birth to neon desert festival idea"!! Can this be true?? Yes, it's true,sadly it's true!
funny

El Paso, TX

#47 May 1, 2011
i went. honestly.. i thought it was alright. nothing amazing or nothing that got me real excited...$35 was a lot for this event. what pissed me off was that we couldnt even leave and come back in.. how the hell do you expect someone to stay in there for 12 hours??? local bands got paid i think $100. While MSTRKAKA got $20,000+???? i'm sick of having out of town people coming in here and sucking up our money for their own selfish greed. it was clearly unorganized, volunteers running wild everywhere acting like kids.. well they were 16,17,18 yr olds.. plus with all this money you would think they could pay the volunteers and maybe shell out a little bit of cash for the locals. but nope.. it all goes back to austin. i like the whole concept of neon desert but maybe they should get new organizers?
rae

United States

#48 May 1, 2011
funny wrote:
i went. honestly.. i thought it was alright. nothing amazing or nothing that got me real excited...$35 was a lot for this event. what **** me off was that we couldnt even leave and come back in.. how the hell do you expect someone to stay in there for 12 hours??? local bands got paid i think $100. While MSTRKAKA got $20,000+???? i'm sick of having out of town people coming in here and sucking up our money for their own selfish greed. it was clearly unorganized, volunteers running wild everywhere acting like kids.. well they were 16,17,18 yr olds.. plus with all this money you would think they could pay the volunteers and maybe shell out a little bit of cash for the locals. but nope.. it all goes back to austin. i like the whole concept of neon desert but maybe they should get new organizers?
El Paso got the screw again
Jose Boracho

El Paso, TX

#49 May 1, 2011
Long nights of drinkin gives BIRTH to lots of things. Thats why we got all those people lined up at the WIC office and the OB clinic at Thomason. This "concert" was just another big drunken goat screw. Just like all the ones at Chamizal. Drunken Juarenos throwing things, harassing people and peeing on the sidewalks. That's what the El Paso politicos and downtown businesses like to brag about. Guess that's called "family entertainment" in El Paso.
edubble

El Paso, TX

#50 May 2, 2011
damn there is alot of hate here on this page hilarious. the hunts are loaded, thats why they sponsor these events, they just looking for places to throw money around in el paso. the mullens are cool, nice kids to party with. the event was secure, safe and aside from the lack of shade and seating, it was pretty nice for elpaso.
fucking stupid el paso haters stuck on welfare and don't want a job, quit hating and get a life.
Saint

El Paso, TX

#51 May 2, 2011
Wish I was there, especially to see Mars Volta.
skeet

United States

#52 May 2, 2011
edubble wrote:
damn there is alot of hate here on this page hilarious. the hunts are loaded, thats why they sponsor these events, they just looking for places to throw money around in el paso. the mullens are cool, nice kids to party with. the event was secure, safe and aside from the lack of shade and seating, it was pretty nice for elpaso.
**** stupid el paso haters stuck on welfare and don't want a job, quit hating and get a life.
Ya so along with the pimped out mexican free labor volunteers, el paso tax money money funded, Austin capital flight, the sponsors got jipped too.
ese guey

United States

#53 May 2, 2011
Wanna know what I hate guey. When people make thrash music that's not really thrash guey. Thrash metal is supposed to be FAST Guey!!! It's THRASH metal guey, not DOOM metal you idiots!
Free David Leonard Wood

El Paso, TX

#54 Nov 14, 2011
Rush wrote:
<quoted text>
Rush IS progressive Rock and influenced the more newer evolutionary bands in 40 years, and still are. They are still putting out great music. Rush are masters at music. I actually have my mouth dropping from being so impressed and get goosebumps and chills. Trust me, I don't get impressed almost never, only when people show acts of kindness, but Rush does it for me.
Mars Volta's Cedric and Geddy Lee sound similiar
***Also, what the hell is a Tall Boy, and what music do you listen to George if any.
I wrote this. Not sure about the goosepimples anymore.
Free David Leonard Wood

El Paso, TX

#55 Nov 14, 2011
Oh, and that day I was experimenting to see how the word "impress" would catch on, and it did. I was kind of paying tribute to a valedectorian name Paul Chan, and his two valedectorian siblings John and Ann. Paul would never talk, but he would say "IM IMPRESSED" and quoted in the yearbook. Thought it was so cool how someone so smart would uplift others. Ann was cool, she was my partner in driver's school and would even pick me up from Eastridge. All 3 became doctors. Ann had to "settle" for Stanford because her parents wanted her close to home. Sorry about what happened to your mom. I saw you picture in El Paso times and you grew into a beautiful woman Ann.
dickens

Kemp, TX

#56 Nov 14, 2011
Free David Leonard Wood wrote:
<quoted text>
I wrote this. Not sure about the goosepimples anymore.
Oh yeah that ranks up there with works from all the other great poets. so settle down with the goosepimples you j0t0!
Free David Leonard Wood

El Paso, TX

#57 Nov 15, 2011
dickens wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah that ranks up there with works from all the other great poets. so settle down with the goosepimples you j0t0!
Look up Kimberly Anne Mallard on the internet. Missing AFTER Wood was in prison. I met them BOTH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madrid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Potsdam chocolate shop moving to Norwood (May '14) Jun '14 Chocolate 10
The Best Torero (Feb '14) Feb '14 Gerry Zaragemca 1
News Utility rates increase for New Madrid residents (Jan '11) Jan '11 wow 2
News Recorder retires (Jan '11) Jan '11 New Madrid Fault 2
News Third-class designation saves New Madrida SCoun... (Jan '11) Jan '11 New Madrid Fault 2
News Top Stories 2010, #2: Country Crossing closed m... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Senatesnores 1
News Night patrol busts illegal hunters (Nov '10) Nov '10 Deer Hunter 8
More from around the web