Night of drinking gave birth to Neon Desert Festival idea

Full story: El Paso Times

Joe Madrid of El Paso Tents and Events sets up the roof of one of the 17 tents erected for the Neon Desert Music Festival.
Comments
21 - 40 of 57 Comments Last updated Nov 15, 2011
BuzzKill

El Paso, TX

#21 Apr 30, 2011
Makes sense...most bad ideas are hatched in a drunken state.
Rocker

United States

#22 Apr 30, 2011
KLAQ wrote:
no one is talking about the KLAQ.
Forget about the racists at the Q and the washed up rock bands at their festivals. They have never helped local rock bands make it big. I think Joe Dorgan and his friends at 101 should get drunk and come up with some ideas and have city council give them $20,000 in taxpayer money. I'll bet they would put on something really good!
Jesus B Ochoa

El Paso, TX

#23 Apr 30, 2011
If some of you old effers had bothered to use condoms, you wouldn't have these young know-nothings yapping at your heels. No one yaps quite as loud as the creative class morons, led by an over 40 con man, along with your mentally challenged local yuppie pols.
computer virus

El Paso, TX

#24 Apr 30, 2011
you idiots need to relax about the drinking.......gee wiz, a-holes.

these three have devoted their lives to this thing for over a year, and it's finally coming to fruition. this is an opportunity to bring the youth back and revitalize downtown by bolstering the unique and artistic, cultural vision of it's kids. these are amazing bands (MSTRKRFT for one, rarely tours in the states), and for them to make good on their promise is not only amazing for El Paso, but for music lovers like myself.

now, having said that....is it "hipster fest"? yes!! a glorified club gig? no!! am i going to be there? damm straight!! you old farts enjoy your erins and kings x. tonight, El Paso comes alive for the very first time. this is where the downtown revitalization project finally meets the creative youth of our beautiful city.
computer virus

El Paso, TX

#25 Apr 30, 2011
oh....and another thing.....you haters are the REASON WE NEVER HAD NICE THINGS!!! well, now we do!! suck it, dorgan!!! we're taking over!! bahaha!!
rae

El Paso, TX

#26 Apr 30, 2011
Ya lets rip El Paso off. Use tax payer money. Charge $35. Pay the local bands close to nothing. Tell the local bands that they cannot play a week before the show. Use volunteers and take the Money back to Austin. Major leakage El Paso.
ONZRA

Los Angeles, CA

#27 Apr 30, 2011
First off this is about the MUSIC. its a cool thing they put this together, If I had the time and connections I would of done this a long time ago. A musician myself, its good to see the locals get there chance to show thier talent, el paso has alot of talented bands all kinds of music. its 2011 el paso needs to catch up to all the other cities that have these type of events all the time, positive open mind ness and support is what will make this succesfull.
El Paso Proud

El Paso, TX

#28 Apr 30, 2011
Hahah you people are so negative about anything different. Just because you don't know many of the acts that are playing doesn't mean you have to knock it. This is a festival for a younger crowd, who have a more diverse taste in music. And I don't understand why alcohol being involved is such a big deal?? Many people drink, not just people who live in EP. I love this city but sometimes the narrow mindedness is too much.
Reentry

El Paso, TX

#29 Apr 30, 2011
Wish ticket holders could re entry the venue, ala Austin city limits.
El Paso Proud

El Paso, TX

#30 Apr 30, 2011
Thank you computer virus, you put it better than I did.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#31 Apr 30, 2011
More drunk drivers on El paso roads. Why to go city council.
Big Frihole

El Paso, TX

#32 Apr 30, 2011
Afghan - Iraq Vet wrote:
More drunk drivers on El paso roads. Why to go city council.
attention Fort Bliss soldiers: leave your daughters and go back where you came from
Too Expensive

El Paso, TX

#33 Apr 30, 2011
This event is costing more than the Ricky Martin Concert, and he is a well-known artist, LOL...
John Dungan

Dallas, TX

#34 Apr 30, 2011
So, what makes y'all think this is such a hot deal? Austin does this all the time, on a much bigger scale, with really good music (much more diversity), and does NOT charge an admission fee. The article does not say anything that would make me want to go all the way downtown, and look for parking, and then pay more money?! No, thanks.
rene

El Paso, TX

#35 Apr 30, 2011
"Night of drinking gives idea for festival" hangovers and all. Just last month the Mayor was conducting meetings asking what was the reason so many people were dying because of drunken drivers on the road.Daaaaaaaaaa!!!! Mr. mayor now you reward drunks for their ideas and this newspapers thinks its good idea to give them press. Isnt there any good ideas coming from El Paso kids who are sober and doing something to be proud off?
Homelessdude

El Paso, TX

#36 Apr 30, 2011
Too Expensive wrote:
This event is costing more than the Ricky Martin Concert, and he is a well-known artist, LOL...
$35 a ticket? This will be a one-and-done flop. Keep reveling in mediocrity,El Chuco!
Rush

El Paso, TX

#37 Apr 30, 2011
George wrote:
. Music never evolved for your group for whatever reason.
This is for another group that wont be on their couch today drinking a tall boy talking about how awesome los lonely boys or Rush are.
Rush IS progressive Rock and influenced the more newer evolutionary bands in 40 years, and still are. They are still putting out great music. Rush are masters at music. I actually have my mouth dropping from being so impressed and get goosebumps and chills. Trust me, I don't get impressed almost never, only when people show acts of kindness, but Rush does it for me.
Mars Volta's Cedric and Geddy Lee sound similiar

***Also, what the hell is a Tall Boy, and what music do you listen to George if any.
hugo stiglitz

United States

#38 Apr 30, 2011
Rush wrote:
<quoted text>
Rush IS progressive Rock and influenced the more newer evolutionary bands in 40 years, and still are. They are still putting out great music. Rush are masters at music. I actually have my mouth dropping from being so impressed and get goosebumps and chills. Trust me, I don't get impressed almost never, only when people show acts of kindness, but Rush does it for me.
Mars Volta's Cedric and Geddy Lee sound similiar
***Also, what the hell is a Tall Boy, and what music do you listen to George if any.
First off no one cares what your impressed or unimpressed by loser, and second those goosebumps are also known as chlamydia, you should get that checked out.
Rush Woman

El Paso, TX

#39 Apr 30, 2011
hugo stiglitz wrote:
<quoted text>
First off no one cares what your impressed or unimpressed by loser, and second those goosebumps are also known as chlamydia, you should get that checked out.
aaah, you disappointed another woman in bed when she saw your thing. That's if you can even get women. Don't be jealous. And don't say you're a woman because it obvious you are not.
Ben W

Kyle, TX

#40 Apr 30, 2011
It takes A LOT of dedication to plan and execute an event like this. Few could, they did. Congrats Splendid Sun!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madrid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Potsdam chocolate shop moving to Norwood Jun '14 Chocolate 10
The Best Torero (Feb '14) Feb '14 Gerry Zaragemca 1
Utility rates increase for New Madrid residents (Jan '11) Jan '11 wow 2
Recorder retires (Jan '11) Jan '11 New Madrid Fault 2
Third-class designation saves New Madrida SCoun... (Jan '11) Jan '11 New Madrid Fault 2
Top Stories 2010, #2: Country Crossing closed m... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Senatesnores 1
Night patrol busts illegal hunters (Nov '10) Nov '10 Deer Hunter 8
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Madrid People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••