Concert Review | Lyle Lovett: Star's ...

Concert Review | Lyle Lovett: Star's variety of styles leads to une...

There are 12 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 11, 2010, titled Concert Review | Lyle Lovett: Star's variety of styles leads to une.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Typically, most concerts start with a couple of upbeat songs performed at moderate to fast tempo to get the crowd into things.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Harry Ballzak

Louisville, KY

#1 Aug 12, 2010
triple yawn
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#2 Aug 12, 2010
Why does the Dispatch insist on italicizing song titles? That is not right! Stop it right now!
Mama S

Spartanburg, SC

#3 Aug 12, 2010
I saw Lyle Lovett in concert several years ago and was highly disappointed. The majority of the show was just his band playing. I didn't pay all that money for a concert ticket just to see his band.
tolerate

Columbus, OH

#4 Aug 12, 2010
have seen Lyle and his Large Band a dozen times and never fails to disappoint......was there last night....incredible show......terrible venue!
CrazyCat

Mount Vernon, OH

#5 Aug 12, 2010
Have been wanting to see him for years and was not disappointed--very impressed. Excellent musicians--and even enjoyed the cello solo immensely. The concert was worth every penny--could have listened all night. Reviewer seems a musically close-minded. How many bands can successfully incorporate blues, jazz, country-western, gospel, and bluegrass into a single concert?
Itsnotbigitslarg e

Dublin, OH

#6 Aug 12, 2010
I completely agree with Tolerate and CrazyCat... amazing show, lousy venue. The "mumbling" the reviewer refers to was difficult to hear only because of the stupid layout of LC pavilion that allows noise from the foyer to disrupt the show. The reviewer's statement that "most concerts start with a couple of upbeat songs...to get the crowd into things" reveals his limited understanding of and experience with music beyond the typical pop music. The thing the reviewer criticizes--the variety of styles Lyle draws upon--is in fact Lyle's greatest strength, and what earns him critical acclaim and loyal fans. This was an outstanding show. Lyle has a refreshingly humble, down-to-earth persona on stage; he frequently acknowledges his bandmates and deflects attention from himself. Lyle does a great job of constructing the setlist to create an ebb and flow of emotions, and a wonderful variety of musical styles--all delivered with excellent musicianship. This was a great concert, and I highly recommend seeing Lyle & His Large Band. I also highly recommend that the Dispatch get a qualified music reviewer!!!
Pfff

Columbus, OH

#7 Aug 12, 2010
Sounds like Gary was having a bad night. Wish I would have gone. Lyle Lovett at Polaris Amphitheater (a few years back) was one of the best shows I've ever seen. LC Pavilion (inside) is an awful venue.
Bexley resident

Hilliard, OH

#8 Aug 12, 2010
The author doesn't know diddly about Lyle and the LC is not conducive to his Large Band.
MSV

Reynoldsburg, OH

#9 Aug 12, 2010
Your review doesn't comport with my recollection of last night's show... The only thing wrong with my experience was the crowd's excess of chatter. I thought Kat was a fine opener, probably the best jazz voice we've had in town this year.
RCB

Quincy, MA

#10 Aug 13, 2010
Mr. Budzak, you clearly have very limited knowlege of the artist you reviewed. All the "negatives" that you mention , the different styles, the quiet mixed with the more uptempo songs, and especially Lyle's personna on stage , are his STRENGTHS. Please stick with reviewing Taylor Swift or the Jonas Brothers, that would seem to be more in line with your musical tastes.
BRD

Euclid, OH

#11 Aug 13, 2010
Lyle was great. Musicians were great. Venue was awful. Concert was moved inside due to chance of rain. People who paid for lawn seats had to stand. Ushers had no idea where to seat the rest of us in the unmarked folding chairs. Chatter from the foyer disrupted the concert. Add in the heat and a lot of alcohol and you got a ugly mess. Not sure how they thought this was a good idea. If I were Lyle, I'd never come back. Luckily, Lyle and the band were so good that we had a great time.
Proud Texan

Flower Mound, TX

#12 Aug 13, 2010
Please tell me that this moron that wrote this review did not get paid for it. RCB was right, stick to writing about children that have no talent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyle Lovett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lyle Lovette Natural Forces musicians (Aug '12) Aug '12 Bob misiurewicz 1
News Meijer Gardens unveils 25 summer concert acts f... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Ginger 7
News Obama pays tribute to country music (Nov '11) Nov '11 us refugee 129
News untitled story | The Columbus Dispatch (Jan '11) Jan '11 Lynne of Columbus 1
News Lovett, Hiatt pair up for acoustic tour (Dec '10) Dec '10 Doobie Brother 1
News Hot time in the city (Jun '10) Jun '10 Texas Boogie 2
News This Week's Forgotten Gem of the '80s - Lyle Lo... (Jun '09) Jun '09 dfwgal 1
More from around the web