Smith's Facing Possible Strike

Smith's Facing Possible Strike

There are 94 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Smith's Facing Possible Strike. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Smith's Food and Drug Centers, with stores throughout New Mexico including two in Santa Fe, is seeking temporary workers to deal with a possible strike starting Saturday, when a labor contract expires.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Since: Sep 08

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#82 Jun 6, 2009
Two years ago all the major grocery store employees went on strike in California (Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons, Pavillions). It didn't work. The public did not support the strike and continued to shop at all of the major grocery stores. The worker's were on strike for nearly a year. Por nada. They had been replaced in a matter of minutes of when they went on strike. It was right at the same time Californians were hit with losing homes, losing businesses, being laid off,$5 per gallon for gas, etc. Back the, gas, alone, was a reason not to waste money driving six blocks further to a non-union store.

Don't know if they were striking for the same reasons as Smith's in NM is doing now, but I'm just sayin.

During hard times, one will watch their pocket book before they will care about Smith employees. When one is broke and can only find part-time hours, one will not care about whether another has good health benefits and pension. They got families to feed.

Ain't saying it's right, it's just the way it is.
eegreejus

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#83 Jun 6, 2009
PC Chavez wrote:
Two years ago all the major grocery store employees went on strike in California (Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons, Pavillions). It didn't work. The public did not support the strike and continued to shop at all of the major grocery stores. The worker's were on strike for nearly a year. Por nada. They had been replaced in a matter of minutes of when they went on strike. It was right at the same time Californians were hit with losing homes, losing businesses, being laid off,$5 per gallon for gas, etc. Back the, gas, alone, was a reason not to waste money driving six blocks further to a non-union store.
Don't know if they were striking for the same reasons as Smith's in NM is doing now, but I'm just sayin.
During hard times, one will watch their pocket book before they will care about Smith employees. When one is broke and can only find part-time hours, one will not care about whether another has good health benefits and pension. They got families to feed.
Ain't saying it's right, it's just the way it is.
They lost enough business to settle PC. A lot of independent markets, as well as Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Wild Oats did very well...Les
Smiths Employee

Albuquerque, NM

#84 Jun 8, 2009
Well, the verdict is in. Kroger and UFCW came to an agreement and there will be no strike. Everyone is happy and we all win...

Thats what we, as employees and Kroger were hoping for.

So, be still posters it all worked out! lol

Thanks for all the opinions and those of you in support of us!

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#85 Jun 8, 2009
Smiths Employee wrote:
Well, the verdict is in. Kroger and UFCW came to an agreement and there will be no strike. Everyone is happy and we all win...
Good for you! Glad to hear it.
so is

Santa Fe, NM

#86 Jun 8, 2009
Dana wrote:
The flower attendent (hispanic/long dark haired woman) at the Saint Michael's Smiths is rude. I don't know why they keep her.
the girl (angela i think) behind the customer service counter. boy, she needs to take a class in customer service.
eegreejus

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#87 Jun 8, 2009
Smiths Employee wrote:
ĦQue viva! La union hace la fuerza...Les(stukinthe60s)

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

#88 Jun 8, 2009
Smiths Employee wrote:
Hmmm ... no mention of the consumer winning. Probably due to the higher prces we will be seeing.
No kidding

United States

#89 Jun 8, 2009
I wnet shopping last night and paid more than I normally do. Consumers lose! Good for you Smith's employees.
Toucan Tango wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm ... no mention of the consumer winning. Probably due to the higher prces we will be seeing.
Yeah

Huntsville, AL

#90 Jun 8, 2009
Tessa Que-en wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so very wrong. Plenty of college grads belong to unions. Plenty of those college grads will be laid off in order for the corporation they work for to make an even greater profit. The CEOs who've driven this economy into the ground are the same types who want even greater compensation at the expense of the workers. No college grad is safe, unless he or she is the CEO.
It's obvious he doesn't know all that because he is not a college graduate. He's our resident wannabe that never will be.
Shizzle

Seattle, WA

#91 Jun 9, 2009
First, a grocery store cashier/stocker/flower boy/ etc... is an entry level job meant for kids out of school. It is not a career. If you don't like the wages, benefits or conditions, go to school work hard and then EARN a better living for yourself.

Second, a grocery store worker union is the most retarted thing I've ever heard of. Unions were meant for a time when wage and labor laws were non existant. The practice has outlived its usefullness.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, be an adult and move on. Quit expecting to be breast fed your whole lives.

Since: Apr 09

Santa Fe

#92 Jun 9, 2009
Shizzle wrote:
First, a grocery store cashier/stocker/flower boy/ etc... is an entry level job meant for kids out of school. It is not a career. If you don't like the wages, benefits or conditions, go to school work hard and then EARN a better living for yourself.
Second, a grocery store worker union is the most retarted thing I've ever heard of. Unions were meant for a time when wage and labor laws were non existant. The practice has outlived its usefullness.
Bottom line, if you don't like it, be an adult and move on. Quit expecting to be breast fed your whole lives.
That's a poor business model to have, i.e., constant turnover and constant training. That's a money loser. Why do Kroger's and other grocery chains offer any benefits? Because they want to retain good workers. Your attitude more likely reflects that you couldn't last one day working in a grocery store because you don't have any of the abilities needed to do so.
Shizzle

Seattle, WA

#93 Jun 9, 2009
Tessa Que-en wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a poor business model to have, i.e., constant turnover and constant training. That's a money loser. Why do Kroger's and other grocery chains offer any benefits? Because they want to retain good workers. Your attitude more likely reflects that you couldn't last one day working in a grocery store because you don't have any of the abilities needed to do so.
Why is a union required to accomplish those things you listed?

BTW, I'm in my 30's I haven't held a teenager job since I was 18...been in a career...so I wouldn't even consider working in a grocery store.
Ginko Balboa

Silver City, NM

#94 Jun 9, 2009
Shizzle wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is a union required to accomplish those things you listed?
BTW, I'm in my 30's I haven't held a teenager job since I was 18...been in a career...so I wouldn't even consider working in a grocery store.
I kind of feel sorry for you; with your head stuck so far up your a$$, that must really hurt.
Shizzle

Seattle, WA

#95 Jun 9, 2009
Coming from someone from the People's Republic of Santa Fe, your views have no merit with me. They are predictable: Everyone should be union, kill babies, do not torture terrorists, etc...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucinda Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In Philly, organized labor to rally for workers (Aug '12) Aug '12 Disgusting 1
News Festival style: Kristin Diable talks about her ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 hecor 2
News A Tribute To The Late Blaze Foley: He became a ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 the ocean poet- b... 1
News Sweet! Sugarland is coming back (Jan '11) Jan '11 Aubrey 2
News Listen Live Tonight: Americana Music Awards (Sep '10) Sep '10 kathy 1
News Joan Baez, Smokey Robinson, Beach Boys Start Qu... (Jul '10) Jul '10 cool 1
Any Lucinda Williams fans like Laura Warshauer (Sep '08) Jul '09 heyday2mayday 2
More from around the web