Smith's Facing Possible Strike

Smith's Facing Possible Strike

There are 94 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Smith's Facing Possible Strike. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Smith's Food and Drug Centers, with stores throughout New Mexico including two in Santa Fe, is seeking temporary workers to deal with a possible strike starting Saturday, when a labor contract expires.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
I dont

United States

#1 Jun 3, 2009
like scab labor, so I'll shop friday night
Dana

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 3, 2009
The flower attendent (hispanic/long dark haired woman) at the Saint Michael's Smiths is rude. I don't know why they keep her.
ELVIRA

United States

#3 Jun 3, 2009
I'll tell them what we were told when our union wanted a raise: "You're lucky you have a job" and then we, of course, got nothing. Oh, wait, we got a raise in our health insurance costs and more taken for our retirement. Hmm.
Hmmm

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 3, 2009
What is "scab" labor? How sad that you have nothing better to do on a Fri. nite. Get a friend.

“JustAThought”

Since: Feb 09

northern NM

#5 Jun 3, 2009
Smith's is owned by Kroger. They've had union labor for a long time. In the 80s there was a protracted strike by their workers in Texas. After the strike, Kroger pulled out of the all the markets in Texas where the strike took place.

“You probably already know me.”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

#6 Jun 3, 2009
There's a classified job listing in today's New Mexican that is very relevant.
Gnarlodious

San Jose, CA

#7 Jun 3, 2009
"temporary workers"? Don't you mean "scabs"?

I won't cross a picket line. You will find me at the co-op instead, where workers are happy, friendly and earn a respectful wage.

Oh, and I'll eat less too.
chatterbox87501

United States

#8 Jun 3, 2009
I'm confused, I thought the scabs were the ones that "pick it"
Great timing

Los Lunas, NM

#9 Jun 3, 2009
Awesome timing by the union. What better time to go out on strike than when there are huge numbers of people unemployed. It won't take long for Smith's to fill those positions. Always remember to be careful for what you ask for (a strike), you might get it(out of a job).

In the 1970's when I worked for the Local Union at a Safeway store, the emplyees of Foodway went out on strike. They were soon abandoned by the unions and Foodway closed.

It is all about timing. Now is not the time.

“'Oat Willie'”

Santa FE, NM

#10 Jun 3, 2009
I Don't Shop At Smiths, Albertsons, Super Save.[I Don;t Speak Spanish So Super Save is Out], Never Been to Wild Goats, or Wholesome High Price Foods'
You Need an Assault rifle i've heard o get the parking Slot you Waited 29 minutes to pull into, only sone Anus Brain in a Fierro Type Beemer, Beat you to It
and i can, wlk from home to these places..
once a week for Goodies @ Trader Ghiotto's 'KAUNES NEIGHBORHOOD MARKET' Does Not carry,
and am Gleefully Awaiting Orange Sunshine's sunflower Farmers Market.
Shop, and Buy Locally.

“JustAThought”

Since: Feb 09

northern NM

#11 Jun 3, 2009
chatterbox87501 wrote:
I'm confused, I thought the scabs were the ones that "pick it"
scabs are the one who cross the picket line to do the work in place of union workers.
Buncha losers

New Brighton, PA

#12 Jun 3, 2009
at Smith's. I'll shop wherever, whenever, with no regard for such foolishness. Just get me my dinner!

“You probably already know me.”

Santa Fe

#14 Jun 3, 2009
It would definately be a good time for those Smiths Employees to start submitting their resumes to Sunflower.
Son of Rome

United States

#15 Jun 3, 2009
Good time to break a union. Cashiers, stock, warehouse, greengrocers.

Skilled positions are butchers, bakers, and pharmacy.

Everyone else is easy to replace.
Other side

United States

#16 Jun 3, 2009
White Migrant Worker wrote:
I Don't Shop At Smiths, Albertsons, Super Save.[I Don;t Speak Spanish So Super Save is Out], Never Been to Wild Goats, or Wholesome High Price Foods'
You Need an Assault rifle i've heard o get the parking Slot you Waited 29 minutes to pull into, only sone Anus Brain in a Fierro Type Beemer, Beat you to It
and i can, wlk from home to these places..
once a week for Goodies @ Trader Ghiotto's 'KAUNES NEIGHBORHOOD MARKET' Does Not carry,
and am Gleefully Awaiting Orange Sunshine's sunflower Farmers Market.
Shop, and Buy Locally.
I hope I'm not the only one confused by your post, but....[here goes]....where the h### do you shop? You just eliminated everyone!
Son of Paris

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Jun 3, 2009
I'll shop anywhere. I don't care about the union. Smiths' employees should be happy they have a job.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#18 Jun 4, 2009
Smith's employees may be without jobs if they go on strike. Times are tough and they should be very thankful they have a job. I'm sure there will be many people applying to work.
Radical

Los Alamos, NM

#19 Jun 4, 2009
You fools who say you will not support the strike are the same ones who will bow to any demand by Kroger corporation later on in the future when Kroger demands conversion to the Mormon cult to buy or sell food. Kroger will demand allegiance by a mark on the right hand or forehead. Those who do not receive the mark will not eat. Is that really what you want to support?

Don't cross the picket line. Please.
The Mexican

Pleasanton, CA

#20 Jun 4, 2009
This is the time when Santa Feans, have to suppport the workers at Smith, if they decide to go on strike.
Supporting your fellow Santa Fean is supporting yourself too.
Better wages or benefits for them, then the rest of the market follows and everybody wins.
pay cut

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jun 4, 2009
All who are commenting here would be willing to take a pay cut, wouldn't you? I mean you should be very thankful have jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucinda Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In Philly, organized labor to rally for workers (Aug '12) Aug '12 Disgusting 1
News Festival style: Kristin Diable talks about her ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 hecor 2
News A Tribute To The Late Blaze Foley: He became a ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 the ocean poet- b... 1
News Sweet! Sugarland is coming back (Jan '11) Jan '11 Aubrey 2
News Listen Live Tonight: Americana Music Awards (Sep '10) Sep '10 kathy 1
News Joan Baez, Smokey Robinson, Beach Boys Start Qu... (Jul '10) Jul '10 cool 1
Any Lucinda Williams fans like Laura Warshauer (Sep '08) Jul '09 heyday2mayday 2
More from around the web