Putting the 'lone' back in the Lone S...

Putting the 'lone' back in the Lone Star State

There are 2 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from May 10, 2009, titled Putting the 'lone' back in the Lone Star State. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

When I saw the poll last week showing that 48 percent of Texas Republicans wanted to secede from the union, my first thought was, what do you suppose it would take to nudge that up a few percentage points? The GOP pretty much calls the shots in Texas, so if we could get that up to, say, 53 or 54 percent, we may have a chance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

Robert T

AOL

#1 May 10, 2009
Sorry to correct the author but Texas did have the right to secede when it joined the union in 1845. During the Reconstruction Period after the US Civil War, the right to secede was nullified by the US Federal Govt. which declared the agreement null and void. I have lived in both states and the dislike for Texas and Texans is obvious. Is it because it is such a wealthy state as compared to New Mexico which according to the NM Income Support Division, two out of every three New Mexicans receive some kind of public assistance. Or maybe because it's better educated and has better job opportunities? New Mexico is trying to copy what the Texas public schools have been doing for the past two decades. I also disagree with the notion the the GOP calls the shots in Texas. Perhaps the author is a bit to young to remember the Lyndon Johnson days. It seems we are living in an era where Journalists are using the press to forward their own personal views rather than just report the facts. Some of us only have to read an article once to understand it. Get out and travel to Texas and see the huge petro-chemical industry or the huge defense industry or the sheer volume of military presence. Get informed.
Captive Audiance

San Antonio, TX

#3 May 11, 2009
Nice Post Robert.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lonestar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Texas Bracket: George Strait voted Most Texan Wed brtty johnson 1
News Many community college students lack reliable f... Mar 17 Reliable Phart 1
News Trump could make courthouse arrests of illegal ... Mar 9 Wildchild 15
News Will a wall stop illegal immigration? 32 minute... (May '16) Jun '16 ronnie 22
News Texas Republicans not quite ready to secede (May '16) May '16 Three Days Paleo 9
News Allows Illegal Aliens to Adopt Children (May '16) May '16 tomin cali 12
News Conviction Integrity Units Expand Beyond Lone S... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Farter 3
More from around the web