Should Immigrants Be Deported for Drug Offenses?

Jan 7, 2010 Full story: www.newsweek.com 41

When Jose Angel Carachuri-Rosendo was just 4 years old, his family moved from Mexico to Texas as legal U.S. immigrants.

Thursday January 7th 2010 new week.com Jose Angel a illegal immigrant had 2nd drug convection charge.A anxiety medication. Immigrant rights groups are fighting the current law on deportation for miner drug offense arrest. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 06

Chicago IL

#1 Jan 7, 2010
Will amnesty cover all their crimes?
Really

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#2 Jan 7, 2010
"When Jose Angel Carachuri-Rosendo was just 4 years old, his family moved from Mexico to Texas as legal U.S. immigrants"

`for the record were not talking about illegals here. in that case a 1st conviction should mean expulsion.

"The court will specifically address whether legal immigrants convicted of repeat minor drug-possession crimes should be subject to deportation."

"But after a series of misdemeanor offenses, he was required to leave the place he had called home for more than 20 years. In 2004, he was convicted of possessing less than two ounces of marijuana, and in 2005 he was convicted of a second drug-possession offense for having a single anti-anxiety tablet, Xanax, without a valid prescription. After the second conviction, he was deported to Mexico."

if this guy sold pot he isnt a big fish, you would be surprised how many ppl in Ca sell pot for extra cash. how else do kids with no job history buy name brand cloths and cell phones?

Xanax combined with other drugs is just another way ppl get really ****** up. a guy a went to high school with ended up running around with a crowd that did that stuff. now he has a lest two DUIs that i know of.

i actually dont know if i would deport him. if i was a judge i would need some serious peronal recommendations from the local community that this guy could shape up.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#3 Jan 7, 2010
Really wrote:
"When Jose Angel "
if this guy sold pot he isnt a big fish, you would be surprised how many ppl in Ca sell pot for extra cash. how else do kids with no job history buy name brand cloths and cell phones?
Where did you get this from?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 7, 2010
More excuses for the vermin....

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#5 Jan 7, 2010
Ms Taletha wrote:
More excuses for the vermin....
Try to make sense next time. Reading the article would help, heck even the heading!

BTW Hello to you too.
Nick College Student

Monmouth, OR

#6 Jan 7, 2010
What kind of a f'ing question is that?! Without a doubt kick their azz out.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#7 Jan 7, 2010
in ONE word - YES.

Since: Nov 09

Austin, TX

#8 Jan 8, 2010
The U.S., by not enforcing it's own immigration laws gives everyone on the planet the idea that crime is ok in the United States. That's why we are in the mess we are in now. Deport them when they break the rules. No question about it.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#9 Jan 8, 2010
How many 'chances' does this man require? After the first drug conviction, an intelligent person would make damn sure they walked the straight-and-narrow.
Also noticed he and his babymama...opps...'fiancee' have 4 kids.Classic welfare dodge;shack up because marriage will cause a drop in govt. gimmees.
Don Cali

Visalia, CA

#10 Jan 8, 2010
Asian Guy wrote:
in ONE word - YES.
"Asinine Gay", yeah I like the sound of that,after all, a practioner of faggotry should have a name better suited to fit his gaystyle life and way of thinking.
problem solved

United States

#11 Jan 8, 2010
They should be deported PERIOD!
Don Cali

Visalia, CA

#12 Jan 8, 2010
RadicalTim wrote:
Will amnesty cover all their crimes?
RELATED KEYWORDS
•Swine Flu
" Remember Rosewood "

Mexicans and hate crimes
May 11, 2009|By Edward Schumacher-Matos, Washington Post Writers GroupDemonization of Mexican and other Latino immigrants is fueling hate crimes and violence against them, and it's time for America's leaders and media to put a stop to it all.

The swine-flu scapegoating of Mexicans over the past two weeks by some radio and television talk show hosts reflects the abandon with which many local officials, anti-immigrant groups and even an unthinking mainstream media create popular resentments, dehumanize immigrants and provide justification for the extremists among us to act violently.

There are genuine issues to debate openly about legal and illegal immigration, but that doesn't justify language such as CNN's Lou Dobbs calling the virus the "Mexican flu," radio host Michael Savage saying "illegal aliens are the carriers" or radio host Jay Severin referring to Mexican immigrants as "criminaliens." Dobbs earlier propagated stories about illegal immigrants causing a major outbreak of leprosy that were false but that he never retracted.

Many anti-immigrant groups have long accused Mexicans of bringing all sorts of diseases into the country, even though several studies, including one by the Tomas Rivera Policy Institute, show that arriving Mexicans are largely healthier than native-born Americans, a result of a healthier lifestyle.

In the case of the swine flu, an epidemic never materialized, but the damage to Latinos' image remains and comes on top of the ugly anti-immigrant campaigns of recent years, wild exaggerations of immigrant crime and mass roundups of suspected illegal immigrants by local and federal authorities.

At a time when the nation is overcoming its black-white divisions and an African American is in the White House, the FBI reports that hate crimes against Latinos grew 40 percent over four years, reaching 830 in 2007, the last year measured.

Last year, at least three murders of dark-skinned Latinos were driven by what clearly was anti-immigrant, racial hatred. In one case, an all-white jury in Shenandoah, Pa., two weeks ago convicted two teenagers of lesser charges in the murder of Mexican immigrant Luis Ramirez - an egregious case reminiscent of the treatment of blacks when I was growing up in the South.
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Jan 8, 2010
Of course they should be deported, they are criminals.
Speeders are Murderers

United States

#14 Jan 8, 2010
Jose Angel Carachuri-Rosendo. HAHAHA. Now there's a good mexican name for you. Anyway - toss him out along with all the other mexes.

America is for americans.
john

Shawnee Mission, KS

#15 Jan 8, 2010
TEA wrote:
Of course they should be deported, they are criminals.
They should be branded and "fixed" before being tossed back to mexico.

Since: Nov 09

San Marcos, TX

#16 Jan 8, 2010
Don Cali wrote:
<quoted text>RELATED KEYWORDS
•Swine Flu
" Remember Rosewood "
Mexicans and hate crimes
May 11, 2009|By Edward Schumacher-Matos, Washington Post Writers GroupDemonization of Mexican and other Latino immigrants is fueling hate crimes and violence against them, and it's time for America's leaders and media to put a stop to it all.
The swine-flu scapegoating of Mexicans over the past two weeks by some radio and television talk show hosts reflects the abandon with which many local officials, anti-immigrant groups and even an unthinking mainstream media create popular resentments, dehumanize immigrants and provide justification for the extremists among us to act violently.
There are genuine issues to debate openly about legal and illegal immigration, but that doesn't justify language such as CNN's Lou Dobbs calling the virus the "Mexican flu," radio host Michael Savage saying "illegal aliens are the carriers" or radio host Jay Severin referring to Mexican immigrants as "criminaliens." Dobbs earlier propagated stories about illegal immigrants causing a major outbreak of leprosy that were false but that he never retracted.
Many anti-immigrant groups have long accused Mexicans of bringing all sorts of diseases into the country, even though several studies, including one by the Tomas Rivera Policy Institute, show that arriving Mexicans are largely healthier than native-born Americans, a result of a healthier lifestyle.
In the case of the swine flu, an epidemic never materialized, but the damage to Latinos' image remains and comes on top of the ugly anti-immigrant campaigns of recent years, wild exaggerations of immigrant crime and mass roundups of suspected illegal immigrants by local and federal authorities.
At a time when the nation is overcoming its black-white divisions and an African American is in the White House, the FBI reports that hate crimes against Latinos grew 40 percent over four years, reaching 830 in 2007, the last year measured.
Last year, at least three murders of dark-skinned Latinos were driven by what clearly was anti-immigrant, racial hatred. In one case, an all-white jury in Shenandoah, Pa., two weeks ago convicted two teenagers of lesser charges in the murder of Mexican immigrant Luis Ramirez - an egregious case reminiscent of the treatment of blacks when I was growing up in the South.
Hate crimes against Mexicans? Give me a break. Can't even compare to the amount and type of crime committed by illegals in this country. Anyone who reads the news knows this. Just ask and I'll cite you fact and figures.

Of course it's the Mexican Flu. The flu has always been named by its country of origin. And yes, people are afraid of the flu because it has killed millions of people in the past. No one knew what to expect with this one but still thousands have died from the Mexican Flu.

No it's not Leprosy that illegals bring with them. It's tuberculosis. The drug resistant kind. Look it up.

And by the way, most of the media is the illegals friend. Just watch CNN sometime and see how much they love you.

Pragmatist

Columbus, OH

#17 Jan 8, 2010
Texan2 wrote:
The U.S., by not enforcing it's own immigration laws gives everyone on the planet the idea that crime is ok in the United States. That's why we are in the mess we are in now. Deport them when they break the rules. No question about it.
The US has been enforcing its immigration laws. ICE launched "Operation Endgame" in 2003, and deportations have been hitting record numbers every successive year since.

The immigration laws are being enforced at the expense of much more pressing criminal cases:

"Federal prosecutions of immigration crimes nearly doubled in the last fiscal year, reaching more than 70,000 immigration cases in the 2008 fiscal year, according to federal data compiled by a Syracuse University research group. The emphasis, many federal judges and prosecutors say, has siphoned resources from other crimes, eroded morale among federal lawyers and overloaded the federal court system. Many of those other crimes, including gun trafficking, organized crime and the increasingly violent drug trade, are now routinely referred to state and county officials, who say they often lack the finances or authority to prosecute them effectively."

--NY Times, Jan 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/us/12prosec...

Furthermore, it will take $100 billion dollars to deport all of the illegal immigrants in the country. This does NOT include the cost of locating them or court costs, which would probably increase the cost 2 or 3 fold.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/12/deportation....
problem solved

United States

#18 Jan 8, 2010
Pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
The US has been enforcing its immigration laws. ICE launched "Operation Endgame" in 2003, and deportations have been hitting record numbers every successive year since.
The immigration laws are being enforced at the expense of much more pressing criminal cases:
"Federal prosecutions of immigration crimes nearly doubled in the last fiscal year, reaching more than 70,000 immigration cases in the 2008 fiscal year, according to federal data compiled by a Syracuse University research group. The emphasis, many federal judges and prosecutors say, has siphoned resources from other crimes, eroded morale among federal lawyers and overloaded the federal court system. Many of those other crimes, including gun trafficking, organized crime and the increasingly violent drug trade, are now routinely referred to state and county officials, who say they often lack the finances or authority to prosecute them effectively."
--NY Times, Jan 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/us/12prosec...
Furthermore, it will take $100 billion dollars to deport all of the illegal immigrants in the country. This does NOT include the cost of locating them or court costs, which would probably increase the cost 2 or 3 fold.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/12/deportation....
"Locating them" isn't the problem - tens of millions of Americans would step right up to help "locate" them if the FEDS can't handle the job........

As for the "court costs" - we can deduct them from the billions of dollars of AID we send to Mexico that ends up in the pockets of the narco-politicians.
Dee Dee Dee

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Jan 8, 2010
Simple. Yes. Any alien, legal or illegal should be deported when convicted of a crime. Since an illegal alien has committed two crimes there should be no question.
San Diego Chargers

Camarillo, CA

#20 Jan 8, 2010
I am in favor of undocumented immigrants, but for selling drugs you should immediately be deported.
Theres no excuse for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lonestar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
First drive: 2015 Chrysler 300 Jan 25 Mr California 3
Is Texas really turning into California? Jan 16 Charles Barkley 5
Cheryl Hall: Memories of '80s bust temper glee ... Jan 12 Farts 3
Is Perry eying White House? Jan 10 tha Professor 122
Democrats boasted of turnout in Texas. They got... Nov '14 AfterbirthFarts 57
Elizabeth Pena dies at 55; actress in 'The Incr... Oct '14 Big mike 2
Texas Ed Board Adopts Resolution Limiting Islam (Sep '10) Jun '14 Ravenclaw 47
More from around the web