Texas lawmakers vow to crack down on ...

Texas lawmakers vow to crack down on illegal immigration

There are 131 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 26, 2008, titled Texas lawmakers vow to crack down on illegal immigration. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Watching as states around the country take immigration into their own hands, Texas lawmakers who failed last year to crack down on illegal border crossers have vowed to catch up in 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Campbell

Denver, CO

#1 Apr 26, 2008
When they refer to an "Hispanic" population what it really means is the illegal population. They can't say that lawmakers are "racist" against an illegal alien, so they do a fill in the blank. This is really a spin piece that's pro illegal labor open border rant.
michelia

El Paso, TX

#2 Apr 26, 2008
Campbell, your right on. I'm Hispanic and so tired of the "spin". I want the illegal alien population to do things thr right way. In my eyes they are criminals. Legal Immigration "YES". Illegal Aliens get out!!!!!!!
simplyillegal

New Milford, CT

#3 Apr 26, 2008
No, not undocumented. Illegal immigrant. These people have broken U.S. law(s)--in their millions. This is what must be reckoned with, and until that fact is reckoned with all the rest is the media putting a spin on this issue.
coyote ugly

Springfield, VA

#4 Apr 26, 2008
I am also of "hispanic" origin, as are my parents and grandparents, but first of all I am an American. Recently I have been asked, "where are you from?" I would never ask an African American, Italian American, or anyone else that question. The fact that most illegals are of hispanic origin makes me believe that now more than ever we need a national I.D. card as a form of protection. If we required proof of a national I.D.in order to get jobs, services, etc. we could eliminate a large part of this illegal immigration problem now. It may not be a total solution but it makes more sense than putting up a fence.
MAR

United States

#5 Apr 26, 2008
Just remember who rebuilt after hurricanes Rita and Katrina...yep, Mexican illegal immigrants and nobody question their immigration status...Stop hypocrisy!
kat

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 26, 2008
coyote ugly wrote:
I am also of "hispanic" origin, as are my parents and grandparents, but first of all I am an American. Recently I have been asked, "where are you from?" I would never ask an African American, Italian American, or anyone else that question. The fact that most illegals are of hispanic origin makes me believe that now more than ever we need a national I.D. card as a form of protection. If we required proof of a national I.D.in order to get jobs, services, etc. we could eliminate a large part of this illegal immigration problem now. It may not be a total solution but it makes more sense than putting up a fence.
I am for the national id system too but I also want the fence
Georgia boy

AOL

#7 Apr 26, 2008
michelia wrote:
Campbell, your right on. I'm Hispanic and so tired of the "spin". I want the illegal alien population to do things thr right way. In my eyes they are criminals. Legal Immigration "YES". Illegal Aliens get out!!!!!!!
The sad part is most Americans who are non-Hispanic group Hispanic American in with the illegals. That's where all the racism comes from.
Thomas J

Lubbock, TX

#8 Apr 26, 2008
We should collect all those 12 million illegal human beings living in our great america and send them to concentration camps, there they can either die or labor for free. Well, almost for free, their work can be used to sustain them but also the remainder of the profits can be used to cover other expenses such what we have wasted on them in social services. Yes these slobs who come over are in deed sub human, they can't even speak English! Who do they think they are coming over into our beautiful america! What we need to do is build our own “Berlin” wall and call it the “Wall of Freedom and Job Protection from Illegal Competition” and since some of those cleaver animals could find a way to get through our sacred wall of freedom, we must cover the borderlands with land mines. The Wall of Freedom and land mines should cover all of the border from California to Texas. And to keep those illegal animals from Cuba and Hati from coming over we need to litter the Gulf of Mexico with land mines too and authorize our Navy and Coast Guard to shoot first and ask questions later. I am scared because one of those non-English speaking sub humans can one day walk into my work and take my job!!!!! All of our jobs are at risk!!! How about you, have you ever worried about illegal competition for your job? The above statement is ridiculous and it makes just about as much sense as the anti-immigration fever that has swept the US. In reality if our 12,000,000 brothers and sisters who are here illegally were swept up and removed our economy would collapse (maybe then some of the racist rednecks would take up jobs picking tomatoes). They fill a vital role in our labor market that otherwise would go unfilled unless wages in those sectors went up. As a result of their lower cost labor we get to benefit from cheaper homes, cheaper construction projects, cheaper food, top rate nannies, and other things. A study conducted by the Congressional Budgetary Office shows that America as a whole gains from their labor. In other words they do come over here and use our services but they contribute much more than what they use. We need to stop being ignorant, xenophobic idiots. One day America will wake up and be browner and speak a lot more Spanish, that is the way of all cultures, peoples move and grow and migrate and intermingle with other groups and they end up forming their own new culture, that is what America will be like one day, and our racist white protestant old grandparents can’t do a damn thing about it. And that is the way of all peoples. Cultures form and develop and evolve and assimilate and invade etc….. it’s a cycle that has gone on and will go one for as long as human walk the earth. One thousand years ago English did not exists, one thousand years from now English (and American culture) will probably not exists and that’s okay we shouldn’t concern our selves with that.
chuco dude

El Paso, TX

#9 Apr 26, 2008
Thomas J
I agree. The soulution to this problem is to get the US and MEXICO and CANADA to start working for a better economy. We need to better relations to resolve the issue with illegal immigration. The EU is a great example of Uniting Culture and Countries. The US is turning against Hispanics, I am 100000% American and I too have been asked if I am a US citizen by white and black people. I HATE it, show me your proof!!!!!!I feel as if I have been targeted. If Europe can live with all those languages and culuture diffrences WE CAN TOO and do it BETTER!
Bettybb

AOL

#10 Apr 26, 2008
It is said that illegal aliens have at least 3 fake id's. How do we know that they are not using them to buy guns?

Our politicans want free trade for the elite...mo matter what the cost. President Calderon in February/March said there will be integration so Amreicans just better get use to it.

McCains Hispanic outreach person is half and half/ a Mexican citizen and an American one. He has served in the cabinet in Mexico and openly advocates reconquest.

A Mexican consultate employee claims San Diego, CA belongs to Mexico.. go to www.alipac.us to see the video.

Absolut vodka had an ad in Mexico showing 1/3 of the USA labelled as Mexico. There is a boycott started. go to www.alipac.us for details.

Obama flat out lied to the American people saying he would have tough renegotiations of Nafta... while letting the Canadians know that he did not mean it, to treat his promises to Americans as mere campaign rhetoric. When questioned he denied it, umtil the conflimg memo was leaked.

What about Obama's "bitter" remark? He sneered at working class Americans for clinging to their guns, religion, ant immigrant opinons, and being ANTI FREE TRADE.

The media keeps truncating obama's remaraks to guns and religion. They don't want ameicans to know that Obama is pro illegal alien, and pro free trade.

Our politicans will do nothing. They are the agents of the monied elite.

But We The People can act.

I am boycotting absolut vodka. I am also boycotting Mexico - no vacations there and I will not buy Mexican products.

No need for a big campaign.. just individual American saying it stops now. Let Mexico feel the economic clout of ordinary Americans who are tired of Mexico's insults and historically inaccurate land claims, and from Mexico sending its problems to America for Americans to take care of.

Our politicians will listen if Mexico calls them up....

We are in the fight of our lives for our language, culture and nation. If we lose, all that will be left to be done is to ask the last person in the country we once called America, to lower the flag one last time.
Zealot

United States

#11 Apr 26, 2008
Racial profiling?

Like affirmative action for Hispanics?
Bettybb

AOL

#12 Apr 26, 2008
coyote ugly wrote:
A national id makes sense. So does tight border control. A femce may not be the answer, or only part of the answer, but it is clear that anti vehicle barriers must be installed to stop the Mexian drug cartel from invading our country. And certainly borer patrol should have enough personel to stop all incursions into our country.

Cameras, drones and computers may well be part of the answer too; they are startimg a system where views of the border are broadcast on the net, so ordinary Americans can keep an eye out, and if they see someone entering, call border patrol.

Europe is consider passing laws that penalizze countries whose citizens are illegal immigrqrnts. Suggstions include a 10 year ban on legal immgiration from that country, or a direct relation ban.. ie, if 10 million Mexicans come into the usa illeally, the quota is 200.000 per year, Mexico gets no more legal immigrant slots for 50 years.

Of course the real solution is for Mexico to clean up its act. I don't think it will do so as long as it can shove its problems onto Americans. We need to deport the illegal aliens. Mexico needs to feel the weight of its people in order to reform.

Sorry to hear that someone asked you where you were from. But you know, as a white female, I have had that too, as well as slurs re my ethnic background, sex, qualifications due to my sex etc. Unfortunately, that sort of thing happens across the board. It is time more people of various groups speak up about it. We have seen from Obama's recent racist comments, that blacks do it too.
Bettybb

AOL

#13 Apr 26, 2008
MAR wrote:
Just remember who rebuilt after hurricanes Rita and Katrina...yep, Mexican illegal immigrants and nobody question their immigration status...Stop hypocrisy!
You mean the illegal alien Mexicans who worked for half American wages, under the table, and according to some reports, physcially blocked blacks from work force by acting like thugs?

These illegal aliens should be the first to be deported.
Bettybb

AOL

#14 Apr 26, 2008
Georgia boy wrote:
<quoted text>
The sad part is most Americans who are non-Hispanic group Hispanic American in with the illegals. That's where all thIe racism comes from.
I don't think that is true at all. In fact, half of Hispanic Americans are anti illegal alien and want to return to the rule of law.
Some of our Hispanic American friends are livid with the illlegal aliens refusal to learn english, assimliate, and with their taking American jobs. As they point out, when they were kids, and needed mone, they could work in the fields, now their kids cannot get jobs there because of the illegal aliens.
I really don't think there is much racism in this debate.. exccept on the illegal alien side. They have MEChA who advocates that hispanics have superior blood, are entitled to take over america and engage in genocide of all non hispanics. Now that is a hate group for you.
In fact, the illegal aliens and their supporters all are crying racism and hate speech etc without any facts to back them up. I think that is libel and hate speech itself.
Bettybb

AOL

#15 Apr 26, 2008
chuco dude wrote:
Thomas J
I agree. The soulution to this problem is to get the US and MEXICO and CANADA to start working for a better economy. We need to better relations to resolve the issue with illegal immigration. The EU is a great example of Uniting Culture and Countries. The US is turning against Hispanics, I am 100000% American and I too have been asked if I am a US citizen by white and black people. I HATE it, show me your proof!!!!!!I feel as if I have been targeted. If Europe can live with all those languages and culuture diffrences WE CAN TOO and do it BETTER!
I too am for a North American Union, but like they have in Europe. There were referendums each step of the way so it was with the consent of the governed.

It was structured so that everyone benefited, workers jobs were protected and it was not just for huge profits for the elite, like what is being foisted on us.

Also, third world countries like Spain and Greece could not enter until they created their own first world economy, non corrupt political system and adopted european values. Otherwise, the poor will flow out of the poor country and economically destroy the rich ones.

Mexico in order to enter a union with Canada and America needs to come in as an equal. It has a lot of work to do. Only 58% of its population have some grade school education. Crime appears to rule that county, and its people have no clue about our values, such as the rule of law.

Also, in euopre each country retained it own language, culture and sovereignty. We have the greatest language, and culture and nation in the world - and Americans will fight to retain it. Far better to structure a union where it is Spanish in
exico, English in America, and English and French in Canada. Each county keeps its own language and culture, and we stop this press 1 ... and so called bilingual education which it is not.

I agree that hispanic illegal aliens are not endearing themselves to Americans. Frankly their leaders conduct is really offensive, and illegal aliens conduct also violates basic American values. Each time President Calderon comes to the USA and intefers in our domestic politics, another million Americans say shove it up....

But it is not racism. It is based on appalling behavior, and I hve yet to come across anyone who blames Hispanic Americans.

I have been an illegal alien, and believe me, never in a million years would I ever have behaved like these illegal aliens are behaving. They and Mexico would do well to brush up on their manners.
Thomas J

Lubbock, TX

#16 Apr 26, 2008
Has anyone ever lost their job to someone who did not speak English? If so I would like to know.
Thomas J

Lubbock, TX

#17 Apr 26, 2008
Bettybb wrote:
<quoted text>
I too am for a North American Union, but like they have in Europe. There were referendums each step of the way so it was with the consent of the governed.
It was structured so that everyone benefited, workers jobs were protected and it was not just for huge profits for the elite, like what is being foisted on us.
Also, third world countries like Spain and Greece could not enter until they created their own first world economy, non corrupt political system and adopted european values. Otherwise, the poor will flow out of the poor country and economically destroy the rich ones.
Mexico in order to enter a union with Canada and America needs to come in as an equal. It has a lot of work to do. Only 58% of its population have some grade school education. Crime appears to rule that county, and its people have no clue about our values, such as the rule of law.
Also, in euopre each country retained it own language, culture and sovereignty. We have the greatest language, and culture and nation in the world - and Americans will fight to retain it. Far better to structure a union where it is Spanish in
exico, English in America, and English and French in Canada. Each county keeps its own language and culture, and we stop this press 1 ... and so called bilingual education which it is not.
I agree that hispanic illegal aliens are not endearing themselves to Americans. Frankly their leaders conduct is really offensive, and illegal aliens conduct also violates basic American values. Each time President Calderon comes to the USA and intefers in our domestic politics, another million Americans say shove it up....
But it is not racism. It is based on appalling behavior, and I hve yet to come across anyone who blames Hispanic Americans.
I have been an illegal alien, and believe me, never in a million years would I ever have behaved like these illegal aliens are behaving. They and Mexico would do well to brush up on their manners.
You say that in the EU worker's jobs were protected? How so? The whole idea of breaking down barriers (which the EU did) leads to more labor market mobility i.e. those that can't find jobs in their native land move to a place that has a over supply of jobs but not enough people to fill them. The current situation is similar only their are restrictions.

The similarity is this: Mexico has too many people and not enough jobs (for lower skilled labor). The US has an over supply of jobs (for lower skilled labor) and not enough people to fill them.

A N. American Union would not implement worker protection (barriers to work) people could move freely. And in all honesty what this would probably cause is more highly skilled Americans moving to Mexico for better paying jobs and more lower skilled Mexicans moving here.

It is a win win situation for Mexico and the US and our economies would grow, and be in a far better position to compete with Europe and up and coming China, India, and Latin America.

All this starts with giving people the freedom of choice in who they hire and where and for who they get to work. Freedom!!! Dont we Americans supposedly love freedom?
topher

United States

#18 Apr 26, 2008
The first point, bettybb, that Thomas was trying to make, is that we are past the point of comprehensive, retro-active solution, such as booting all the immigrants and building a Muro Grande. These people are integrated into our economic infrastructure in a manner such that to remove them would invoke serious repercussions on the economy as a whole.

The solution you propose might have worked a long time ago, but we have avoided the situation for far too long for that to be valid anymore.

Spain and Greece's admission into the EU is irrelevant. They are 2 countries out of a total of 27 in the EU. And even though all of those countries differ in size, their effect on the dynamics of the union are far less significant than would be Mexico in this case of an NAU, being 1 of only 3 countries involved.

The second point that Tom brought up is that we have a very unique situation, in that the contribution from these illegal immigrants to the US economy is actually beneficial. This presents us a unique opportunity to derive a solution that is mutually beneficial to both countries. As a neighbor/ally/sister country, and the most powerful in the world at that, it would be HIGHLY irresponsible of us to push everyone out and tell Mexico to "get it fixed and then come see us." Sure it's our country, but its everyone's planet, and as such those with the power to help have the responsibility to do so.

Instead of thinking in the past, we should sit down, look at EXACTLY what is ON the plate, and decide how we can logically, responsibly, and omni-beneficially solve this issue.
INFIDEL

Abingdon, MD

#19 Apr 26, 2008
Please join the fight for OUR COUNTRY!!

NumbersUSA.com

BetterImmigration.com
Thomas J

Lubbock, TX

#20 Apr 26, 2008
If you love freedom and would like to be better informed check out the link below!

http://www.mises.org/story/1980

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lonestar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Could Texas become its own country? (Apr '09) 7 hr Farter 227
News Cheryl Hall: Memories of '80s bust temper glee ... Sun Wrangler Farts 5
News First drive: 2015 Chrysler 300 Jan '15 Mr California 3
News Is Texas really turning into California? Jan '15 Charles Barkley 5
News Is Perry eying White House? Jan '15 tha Professor 115
News Democrats boasted of turnout in Texas. They got... (Nov '14) Nov '14 AfterbirthFarts 57
News Elizabeth Pena dies at 55; actress in 'The Incr... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Big mike 2
More from around the web