'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites ...

'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites US history

There are 135 comments on the The New Zealand Herald story from Mar 28, 2010, titled 'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites US history. In it, The New Zealand Herald reports that:

Country music is an important modern cultural movement; hip-hop isn't. Thomas Jefferson deserves to be erased from a list of "great Americans", but Ronald Reagan doesn't. And we should re-evaluate Senator Joe McCarthy: he was almost certainly a national hero.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The New Zealand Herald.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“If you believe it, stand by it”

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#1 Mar 28, 2010
It is not the role of schools to teach social and moral values to your child....it is your own responsibility. But it is the role of the school to protect children at school from being harmed by immoral or anti-social influences. Schools can only do this if there is an acceptable standard of behavior agreed upon by society as a whole. The big argument comes when adults try to identify what is immoral or anti-social.
Now, consider this: What would be considered as immoral and anti-social in each of the following areas:
1. Shreveport, Louisiana
2. San Francisco, California
3. Bangor, Maine
4. Brownsville, Texas
5. Augusta, Georgia
6. Des Moines, Iowa
After you have this all figured out then consider what happens when the children in these area are thrown together as adults....or are elected to congress.
It is little wonder why Texas struggles to agree upon what is included in textbooks for schools.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#2 Mar 28, 2010
Guy Adams is another left wing nutball fabrication machine.
Chicago Guy

Winnetka, IL

#3 Mar 28, 2010
This is stunning, and frightening-- and should be for ALL Americans.

I notice that, like most conservatives on Topix, Bluebonnets is content to bash the author, while ignoring the substance.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#4 Mar 28, 2010
Chicago Guy wrote:
This is stunning, and frightening-- and should be for ALL Americans.
I notice that, like most conservatives on Topix, Bluebonnets is content to bash the author, while ignoring the substance.
I live in the "substance" bro. He's have a planet away and your over 1,000 miles away. This has all been left propaganda against the largest conservative state. Jefferson will be there, but "hip hop" can't compete with country music. But many teachers will discuss the impact. Not everything is taught that's in the textbooks. Your best teachers rarelly used them. I'm a retired principal, and this is all left wing hog wash. That's all. You need to look around America, your bandwagon's wheels are cracking.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#5 Mar 28, 2010
Exuse me all, half a planet away. That clown has no research expect what he hear's on American left wing propaganda sites, Period.

“Did U plug the damn hole yet?”

Since: Jan 08

Addison, TX

#6 Mar 28, 2010
Chicago Guy wrote:
This is stunning, and frightening-- and should be for ALL Americans.
I notice that, like most conservatives on Topix, Bluebonnets is content to bash the author, while ignoring the substance.
When the choice is between country or hip-hop country is the more significant.

And that really is the untold story.

Libs wanted to replace country with hip-hop but they lost.

Remember, any game libs can invent conservatives can learn to play - better.
Mage

Eden, NC

#7 Mar 29, 2010
Mac-7 wrote:
<quoted text>
When the choice is between country or hip-hop country is the more significant.
And that really is the untold story.
Libs wanted to replace country with hip-hop but they lost.
Remember, any game libs can invent conservatives can learn to play - better.
Mac-7,

You are misinformed or lying. "Libs" didn't try to do anything. The original standard contained hip-hop and not country. In January, the far right faction voted to REPLACE hip-hop with country (the exact opposite of your statement). This motion failed, but a motion to ADD country passed. Now, in March, the far right faction waited until many board members had gone home to bring the motion again, and hip-hop has been removed.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#8 Mar 29, 2010
Mage wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac-7,
You are misinformed or lying. "Libs" didn't try to do anything. The original standard contained hip-hop and not country. In January, the far right faction voted to REPLACE hip-hop with country (the exact opposite of your statement). This motion failed, but a motion to ADD country passed. Now, in March, the far right faction waited until many board members had gone home to bring the motion again, and hip-hop has been removed.
As I quoted and as a former history teacher, there were many things included in my class that weren't in the textbooks. Many good teachers will do that. I had a week long session when teaching about the 50's in American History that included the beginnings of rock and roll.(It wasn't in the book) The kids loved it. This is only left wing paranora propaganda. That's all.
Mage

Eden, NC

#9 Mar 29, 2010
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
As I quoted and as a former history teacher, there were many things included in my class that weren't in the textbooks. Many good teachers will do that. I had a week long session when teaching about the 50's in American History that included the beginnings of rock and roll.(It wasn't in the book) The kids loved it. This is only left wing paranora propaganda. That's all.
What exactly is left wing propaganda? This was an actual change made by the board, as are the other political moves that have been publicized.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#10 Mar 29, 2010
Mage wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is left wing propaganda? This was an actual change made by the board, as are the other political moves that have been publicized.
Publicized by whom? That's the problem. It's the same people who yelled to the four winds that Texas was going to secede when Gov. Perry made a funny gaff at a gathering. We're not going anywhere. Texans are loyal Americans and only trying to protect the constitution. You know, the one nobama is shredding? Texas has the most decorated soldiers in three of the countries wars. It's like the left gestapo with the ears to the railroad track trying find anything. It's getting laughable in Texas. Don't worry about it.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 29, 2010
Chicago Guy wrote:
This is stunning, and frightening-- and should be for ALL Americans.
I notice that, like most conservatives on Topix, Bluebonnets is content to bash the author, while ignoring the substance.
What's FRIGHTENING is your ignorance.
You voted for a socialist and you still don't understand what you have done.
I pray to God you wake up soon.
The MEDIA that you support is controlled by the left wing fringe and tell you what to believe.......and you suck it up like a little puppy dog.

Sad. Very sad.

“Ignorance should be painful”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#12 Mar 29, 2010
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in the "substance" bro. He's have a planet away and your over 1,000 miles away. This has all been left propaganda against the largest conservative state. Jefferson will be there, but "hip hop" can't compete with country music. But many teachers will discuss the impact. Not everything is taught that's in the textbooks. Your best teachers rarelly used them. I'm a retired principal, and this is all left wing hog wash. That's all. You need to look around America, your bandwagon's wheels are cracking.
You’re a retired principal?? If that’s true, you’re your own worst enemy in the argument you proffer. After Texas has finished rewriting history to suit its needs, will the rules of grammar be next?

Your posts contain a substantial number of typos/misspellings and grammatical errors.
Whether due to carelessness, indifference ignorance or haste, the impression you give is not one that inspires confidence in the validity of your critique of current educational standards or your call for curriculum revisions.
Mage

Eden, NC

#13 Mar 29, 2010
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Publicized by whom? That's the problem. It's the same people who yelled to the four winds that Texas was going to secede when Gov. Perry made a funny gaff at a gathering. We're not going anywhere. Texans are loyal Americans and only trying to protect the constitution. You know, the one nobama is shredding? Texas has the most decorated soldiers in three of the countries wars. It's like the left gestapo with the ears to the railroad track trying find anything. It's getting laughable in Texas. Don't worry about it.
You're getting off track. How is it leftist propaganda to point out that the Texas BOE is politicizing the educational standards in the state?

And for a group so concerned with the Constitution, they don't seem to mind ignoring one of the most fundamental tenets of it: the separation of church and state in order to preserve religious liberty.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#14 Mar 29, 2010
Funny how the left never has a problem with people re writing history when its a leftist. I read from leftist how Stalin was misunderstood andit was all the west fault that he killed all those people, or how both the Greeks and Sumerians where black,etc.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#15 Mar 29, 2010
Mage wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is left wing propaganda? This was an actual change made by the board, as are the other political moves that have been publicized.
When the leftwing media doesn't want you to know about something, they don't report on it.....but when they want something that favors their agenda, they print it up and twist the facts to fit.

An unelected review panel, not the elected members of Texas State Board of Education (SBOE), attempted to push through a number of highly questionable changes to the standards – removing Independence Day, Neil Armstrong, Daniel Boone, and Christopher Columbus – from them.
Did you hear that in the leftwing news? Nope.

They even dumped Christmas and replaced it with Diwali.
Did you hear that in the leftwing news? Nope.

After a huge outcry from citizens and strong leadership by conservatives on the Texas State Board of Education, each of these changes was reversed.

Sadly, the attacks didn’t stop there.

Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison were removed from World History, yet Mary Kay and Wallace Amos (of Famous Amos Cookies) were added, it appears, for more “diversity.”
Did you hear that in the leftwing news? Nope.

That’s unbelievable.

Edison is the greatest inventor in American history with over 1,000 patents; oh, and by the way, that Einstein guy was pretty successful too!

Again, that’s part of why the liberals attack. They don’t like the concept of American exceptionalism, both by those who were born here and by the other great high-skilled men and women who are so attracted to the United States that they moved here from other countries.

Thankfully, the conservatives on the SBOE once again held the line. Edison and Einstein are back in World History. An attack to remove “B.C.” and “A.D.”— denoting historical time periods before and after the birth of Christ – also lost, and, so far, the attempt to remove the statement about the religious basis of the founding of the country has failed.
Did you hear about that in the leftwing news? Nope.

Do you see how the leftwing propaganda media works?
Only publish what they want when they want and don't say anything about what is realy going on.

Of course you can always say, this is all made up right? Because it's not published anywhere.....
Of course, it must be made up because the leftwing media didn't tell you about it. So it must be a lie.
See?

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#16 Mar 29, 2010
FilmProf wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re a retired principal?? If that’s true, you’re your own worst enemy in the argument you proffer. After Texas has finished rewriting history to suit its needs, will the rules of grammar be next?
Your posts contain a substantial number of typos/misspellings and grammatical errors.
Whether due to carelessness, indifference ignorance or haste, the impression you give is not one that inspires confidence in the validity of your critique of current educational standards or your call for curriculum revisions.
Grammatical erroies and misspellings are the fault of the publishers. That will be covered if true, it's been done a few times, I've caught some myself in the past years.

The people of a state have the right to decide on what goes into the schools. It's not and should not be a federal decision. None of the other 49 states have to follow suit if they disagree. Again, you making a mountain out of a molehill.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#17 Mar 29, 2010
Oops, errors.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#18 Mar 29, 2010
Mage wrote:
<quoted text>
You're getting off track. How is it leftist propaganda to point out that the Texas BOE is politicizing the educational standards in the state?
And for a group so concerned with the Constitution, they don't seem to mind ignoring one of the most fundamental tenets of it: the separation of church and state in order to preserve religious liberty.
Each time something is written about it, they mention "the conservatives" in Texas. We're the largest conservative state in the Union and have been hearing this crap for the last 10 years. Most of us just brush it off. The schools I have worked have enforced separation of church and state to the fullist and will continue to do so. Religion is part of world history, and if taught correctly, will not influence students one way or the other.

Since: Dec 07

Trinidad, TX

#19 Mar 29, 2010
BTB, no one is having bible classes in the schools or are there plans to do so. That's what the private parochial schools are for.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Mar 29, 2010
Obama bin Biden wrote:
<quoted text>
What's FRIGHTENING is your ignorance.
You voted for a socialist and you still don't understand what you have done.
I pray to God you wake up soon.
The MEDIA that you support is controlled by the left wing fringe and tell you what to believe.......and you suck it up like a little puppy dog.
Sad. Very sad.
It is beyond belief that you can pretend the media is somehow left wing. That would be like saying the mafia is a charitable organization. I have no idea what world you live in. Please open your eyes, look around and tell us what you see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lonestar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lone Star State Emits Most Greehouse Gases in C... (Sep '09) Feb 2 GOOD FARTS 4
News The Left Is Eager to See an Undocumented Immigr... Oct '17 Laredo 12
News California conservatives, tired of state's libe... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Laredo 1
News The Texas Bracket: George Strait voted Most Texan (Mar '17) Mar '17 brtty johnson 1
News Many community college students lack reliable f... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Reliable Phart 1
News Trump could make courthouse arrests of illegal ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Wildchild 15
News Will a wall stop illegal immigration? 32 minute... (May '16) Jun '16 ronnie 22
More from around the web