Billy Joel was all gusto in first of six dates

New Yorkers who come to South Florida in the winter usually do so to chill out, and relaxation in the tropics may yet be the plan for Billy Joel . Full Story
Grateful Kev

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2009
My man billy must be losing a few brain cells,which is ok cause so am i.However,he played "Stiletto" at both shows in Sunrise of january 2008.I was in the front row for both,and he nailed it.As well,i saw him in 1999 in minneapolis,where he did "Highway to hell" with chainsaw as well....very interesting.
Joe Gecko

Miami, FL

#2 Jan 3, 2009
Highway to Hell was Joel's tribute to the Mets and Jets
doug

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Jan 3, 2009
and as Billy always says...."don't ever let nobody give you any $hit".
rhc723

Miami, FL

#4 Jan 3, 2009
I read the article and just logged in so as to comment that I specifically remember Billy Joel playing "Stiletto" at the shows in Sunrise last year. I see someone else (Grateful Kev) also shares my recollection. The opening night show in Sunrise last year he really shook up his playlist. For a pianist/fan like me since the late 70s it was a real treat to hear some of the "deep tracks", although for the everyday fans who tend to only recognize his greatest hits that opening night concert probably was a bit too introspective as they didn't know many songs.(Also he played "Piano Man" first which is probably the first and last time he's done this - if not it should have been.) In the opening hight concert in Sunrise last year he also played "Everybody Loves you Now" from the "Cold Spring Harbor" album and, in all his concerts that I've seen since my first in NY in 1986 ("The Bridge" tour)- that's the first time I ever heard that one in concert in 22 years.
Long story short, yes, he most definitely played "Stiletto" last year, but with all the shows he plays, I can imagine it can be hard to lose track... As a longtime fan of his entire catalog (except for "An Innocent Man"), frankly I'm just grateful he is still doing concerts so I can see him every year or so. He still puts on a great show - even if he did stop jumping off pianos! Nothing will beat his New Year's Eve concert at Nassau Coliseum in 1989 or any of the concerts for that matter that I saw him perform in NY (my hometown and his) but he does give great shows in FL - maybe partly because it is now his winter home and maybe partly because he knows there are a lot of ex-New Yorkers here. Either way, I don't miss a chance to see him and have never been disappointed. Looking forward to the show tomorrow night!!

KcK

Since: Feb 07

Plantation

#5 Jan 3, 2009
I have tickets for the 17th and can't wait!
Robert

United States

#6 Jan 3, 2009
Billy did not play Sunrise in January 2008. It was January 2006.

So apparently, Billy is not the only one having problems remembering years.
Robert

United States

#7 Jan 3, 2009
that was in response to the first comment by Grateful Kev.
rhc723

Miami, FL

#8 Jan 3, 2009
Robert, you're absolutely right. I realized after I wrote my post that the last tour through Sunrise was Jan 2006. As for me, chalk up the references to it being "last year" to the fact that it is only 2 days after the New Year and still have to fully adjust to thinking in terms of it being 2009... Good eye.
Happy New Year.
rhc723

Miami, FL

#9 Jan 3, 2009
oops, scratch the last post. It was 2006, I wrote assuming (erroneously - for some reason) that the concert was Jan 2007. So much for my logic... It seemed like it was last year, alas I was very wrong. Either way, always fun to share Billy Joel concert experiences. Enjoy the shows.

Over and out.
Stupid is as

Dallas, TX

#10 Jan 3, 2009
Robert wrote:
Billy did not play Sunrise in January 2008. It was January 2006.
So apparently, Billy is not the only one having problems remembering years.
Actually,i think the poster said that as well.Don't be hater.
Hazmat

Dania, FL

#11 Jan 3, 2009
Where's Christy?
Grateful Kev

United States

#12 Jan 3, 2009
Well,i am sorry for the typo.Of course the aformentioned dates were Jan 2006.In fact,the first show of the entire tour was sunrise,and after all dates and the sunrise show were played,he added the second show after Tampa but before Boston.So,the 2 shows were about 10 days apart.Right you are rhc723..he open show 1 with "Piano man",which i thought odd,but that night was really good but not nearly as good as show 2.I am sorry about my typo in the first post,it was early in the morning.And for "stupid is"...thanks for having my back,that was cool.

Since: Apr 08

Yuma, AZ

#13 Jan 3, 2009
Grew up on Long Island and lived one town over from Billy. I remember seeing him 4 or 5 nights in a row at the Nassau Collesium or MSG.

I took my son to his first concert in Phoenix (Billy Joel of course) when he was in 5th grade. We have tickets for the Face to Face concert with Elton in March for the whole family! Can't wait.
Robert

United States

#14 Jan 3, 2009
speaking of the Face To Face tour, I'm kinda bummed....

Because Billy is doing this six-show solo run at the Hard Rock, I guess that makes it highly unlikely Miami or Sunrise will get an Elton/Billy co-headlining date.

I know they are playing Tampa and Jacksonville together, but that's too far for me.
china syndrome

Boca Raton, FL

#15 Jan 4, 2009
I remember him from the Hassles, a local group while I was in high school in Massapequa Park on the Island
JTK

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Jan 4, 2009
Loved the first night of his concerts at HR...Billy is certainly full of energy. This was our first concert and didn't realize just how big of a NY following he had. I would love to have heard a few more slower slongs though and not listened to Chainsaw. Go Billy and keep on rocking!
Beer 420 in Jacuzzi

West Palm Beach, FL

#17 Jan 4, 2009
I have seen Billy many times, at least once with Elton. Fri nite was energetic in that he started way early. Normally he starts up to a 1/2 hr late and I arrived just after 8 where he had already begun to play...
Agree with more slow songs or at least more of his songs. This chainsaw cr**p might be contractual or something because he's been doing it at EVERY show! Its annoying. Otherwise the piano man just needs to mix it up and make us happy!
Did anyone go to 1-4-09 show? What was the set list?

Since: Jan 09

Studio City, CA

#18 Jan 29, 2009
I have tickets for the 17th too! Ahh its going to be so amazing, can't wait!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Live Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Jimmy Fallon sitting pretty? (Jan '10) Aug '14 Silly times 10
Backstreet Boys are back (Jun '10) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 17
Elvis Costello Coming to South Florida at Hard ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 LAVON AFFAIR 1
BalloonFest concludes today at Wet 'N' Wild (May '11) May '11 Whiners 6
Ex-Live frontman Ed Kowalczyk to perform in Yor... (May '11) May '11 Al Bendova 14
Internet updates leave fans wondering about Liv... (Dec '09) Dec '10 Anonymous 13
Kowalczyk talks about solo projects, SpongeBob (Dec '09) Oct '10 d r st 4
More from around the web