Smokers beware: They're onto your scent

Smokers beware: They're onto your scent

There are 21 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 11, 2008, titled Smokers beware: They're onto your scent. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Ever since she was a little girl, Linda Davis has hated cigarette smoke -- hated it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lacy

United States

#1 Mar 11, 2008
Good Job!!! PS. Disney does this as well!!!!

Since: Jul 07

Orlando, FL

#2 Mar 11, 2008
They should raise the penalty for the junkies. Yes, C. Evertt Koop officially labeled smoker's in the same class as
regular drug addicts, to $1,000.00.

Boy do you people STINK!

Since: Feb 07

Myerstown, PA

#3 Mar 11, 2008
In 1975 Sir George Goober, British delegate to the World Health organization presented his blueprint for eliminating tobacco use worldwide by changing social attitudes.

"..it would be essential to foster an atmosphere where it was perceived that active smokers would injure those around them, especially their families and any infants or young children who would be exposed involuntarily to EST.."
KHartman

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Mar 11, 2008
bdjunker wrote:
In 1975 Sir George Goober, British delegate to the World Health organization presented his blueprint for eliminating tobacco use worldwide by changing social attitudes.
"..it would be essential to foster an atmosphere where it was perceived that active smokers would injure those around them, especially their families and any infants or young children who would be exposed involuntarily to EST.."
How about a link to the original article, so we can read that in it's original context? My guess is that you have never read the original source material, but just picked up that isolated quote from some pro-smoking website.

Am I right, BD?
Joe Cameltoe

Orlando, FL

#6 Mar 12, 2008
This is awesome! Both my wife and I are allergic to cigarette and cigar smoke.
julary

Howey In The Hills, FL

#8 Mar 12, 2008
Fanatics are all the same...No one has an opinion except theirs...no one can be right or wrong unless they agree with them...sounds a bit to me like the religious fanatics that are blowing people up right now...believe what I believe or you're DAMNED!!! I don't give a good goddamn whether you like the cigarette smoke or not...I don't care if you're allergic to it or not. Smoker's don't have the option of smoking anywhere near you anymore...so what the hell are you continually bitching about? If you just happen to wander in someplace where there is smoke from cigarettes...then GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE! Do I have to be any clearer
roffle

Dayton, OH

#9 Mar 12, 2008
next on the antis' agenda: blowing up smokers... after burning a few million more jews, of course.

Myerstown, PA

#11 Mar 12, 2008
KHartman wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a link to the original article, so we can read that in it's original context? My guess is that you have never read the original source material, but just picked up that isolated quote from some pro-smoking website.
Am I right, BD?
Wrong KH! I got it off of Dr. Michael Siegel's website. You know Dr. Siegel don't you? The doctor that believes that bans are the right thing to do, but that the rANTIS are going to implode because of all the lies and fallacies in their BIGOTED campaigns.

ROFLMAO
Joe Cameltoe

Orlando, FL

#12 Mar 18, 2008
julary wrote:
Fanatics are all the same...No one has an opinion except theirs...no one can be right or wrong unless they agree with them...sounds a bit to me like the religious fanatics that are blowing people up right now...believe what I believe or you're DAMNED!!! I don't give a good goddamn whether you like the cigarette smoke or not...I don't care if you're allergic to it or not. Smoker's don't have the option of smoking anywhere near you anymore...so what the hell are you continually bitching about? If you just happen to wander in someplace where there is smoke from cigarettes...then GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE! Do I have to be any clearer
I am not b!tching about anything. You just went off for no reason. You cannot stand the fact that some businesses cater to specific demographics.

The article you are posting about mentions that Swisotel has benned smoking in their rooms. Your rant has nothing to do with the article.

I am also glad that many other hotel and motel chains reserve some nonsmoking rooms. I do not patronize ANY businesses where there is cigarette smoke. As you suggest above in a most hateful fashion, we remove ourselves from areas where smoke is present. It is a matter of avoiding a trip to the emergency room for my wife. It is not as critical to me, but causes me some issues also.

We are not anti-smoking fanatics, we have a few friends who smoke and we keep ashtrays on the front and back porches for their use when they visit. I suspect you are not nearly so considerate with your smoking as they are and are the type of person that throws their ashes butts out the car window while driving.
Virgil Kleinhelter

Corbin, KY

#14 Apr 18, 2008
I would guess, Julary has lost his temper. Like most of us who smoke. It gets to be a bit much after being barred from most places we would like to go and being treated like we have a disease that will kill on contact.

If all that has been said about SHS were true there would very few alive today.

Stress caused by the misinformation about SHS causes many of the Asthma attack. Just the sight of smoke can set off an attack. Just a change in weather, either hot or cold makes a difference.

Tobacco smoke was not considered a cause of attacks until the EPA had smoke add to the carcinogenic tables in 2002. No one knows what causes Asthma or the attacks but stress is considered a major factor.

I was raised my a Asthmatic Grandmother, who was not around smoke, I remember her having problems when she was in stressful situations.

As you see, I am a smoker and when I have company I ask if they mind if I smoke. If they would rather I not smoke around them, I step outside.

It's too bad we can't be more respectful of others rights at all times but with the political climate as it is now, it will be a while before that happens.

SHS kills no one but does make many uncomfortable. All most smokers ask is ventilated smoking areas.
Virgil Kleinhelter

Corbin, KY

#15 Apr 18, 2008
This is a short speech I make at Council meetings.

I have been researching Second Hand Smoke since 1998 and have read thousands of studies, articles and investigative reports. I have kept only the most respected and truthful. I have all the information needed to show what this push for smoking bans is all about. Itís about Power and Profit in the Billions, not Health.

All the Major studies, even the ones by the ACS and the WHO found no connection of SHS to cancer or heart disease. The WHO found that children of smoking households are 22% less likely to contract cancer because their immune systems were activated against tobacco smoke.

If a cure for Cancer were actually found the ACS and the Pharmaceuticals would all have a fit. The market would crash for Pills and patches. The American Cancer Society would implode. Millions are being spent to push the lies about SHS by such as the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which has spent over 900 million + to date.

The EPA, with their discredited study, and the hundreds of other agencies are doing the work for the World Tobacco Control Council. They keep the propaganda before the public every day with the help of our Major Media. They know, IF YOU LIE LONG ENOUGH AND OFTEN ENOUGH IT BECOMES THE TRUTH and once an opinion is formed, it is almost impossible to change.

We are all entitled to our opinions but we are not entitled to our own facts. We must depend on real Science and not just what we read and hear in the Media, which report only what, is politically correct. This daily reporting of false information is the major factor in how our opinions are formed.

The American Cancer Society is the worst. It pushes its agenda through its many grassroots groups it funds in every state and with the help of our Health Departments. The latest figures I found show they have over 900 MILLION DOLLARS IN CASH. They spend less that 2% of their yearly income on prevention research. The rest goes to salaries and funds to push Smoking Bans. Even universities get in on the money grab.

A U.S. Supreme court decision during the early 1970's (Lloyd Corp v. Tanner, 407 U.S. 551 (1992)) said a place of business does not become public property because the public is invited in.

By that same reasoning. A restaurant or bar is not public property just by being open to the public. We need to support small business and stop regulating them out of business.", because of lies about health effects of SHS.
Crazy Redhead

Dallas, TX

#16 Apr 18, 2008
Health risk or not, I just don't like the smell and I don't want it in my hair or clothes or carpet or upholstery.

My boyfriend smokes and he voluntarily takes it outside.

Since: Jul 07

Orlando, FL

#17 Apr 18, 2008
"I would guess, Julary has lost his temper. Like most of us who smoke. It gets to be a bit much after being barred from most places we would like to go and being treated like we have a disease that will kill on contact."

No, no, no.
I real problem is that, well,
there is no nice way to say this
so I'll just say it.
You Stink.
Your hair stinks.
Your clothes stink.
Your skin smells.
Your home smells.
Your car stinks.

We're sorry you smell so badly to us but thats the way it is.
We have know people who didn't understand our distaste for their smelly smoking habit until after they quit and had enough time for their senses to come back and then they realized how badly they smelled to others.
Then after 6 months the power of the most addictive drug know to science called them back.
Now they stink again.
Well only one now. You see one died.
Yes from smoking.
Bye bye BIL.
Virgil Kleinhelter

Corbin, KY

#18 Apr 20, 2008
Crazy Redhead wrote:
Health risk or not, I just don't like the smell and I don't want it in my hair or clothes or carpet or upholstery.
My boyfriend smokes and he voluntarily takes it outside.
Your carpet and upholstery have more carcinogens in them that will cause you harm than SHS.
just candid

AOL

#19 Apr 20, 2008
The right to breath smoke free air should be a given, only someone addicted to nicotine would not agree.

United States

#20 Apr 20, 2008
Where in the Constitution does it give anyone the right to "smoke free" air?

ROFLMAO
just candid

AOL

#21 Apr 20, 2008
There is no "right to smoke" in the US Constitution.

United States

#22 Apr 20, 2008
just candid wrote:
Sure there is. The same place your right to "smoke free air" is.

ROFLMAO@U
Linda

United States

#23 Apr 20, 2008
roffle wrote:
next on the antis' agenda: blowing up smokers... after burning a few million more jews, of course.
That extreme won't be necessary, they have the dangerous drug Chantix whom they hope they are forcing the smokers to take. Its a killer!
Linda

United States

#24 Apr 20, 2008
just candid wrote:
Check out the 9th amendment of the bill of rights. Just because each right is not in bold print does not mean it does not exist. You even have the right to make silly statements

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Linda Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bulls Gap Ready For Campbell Days (Sep '09) Feb '11 Who Knows 8
News Local country singer takes to fair stage at age 12 (Sep '10) Sep '10 Red Lion Fan 1
News Birge dreams of performing at the Opry (Aug '09) Aug '09 whatheheck 12
News DJ's early love of radio led to successful care... (Nov '06) May '08 Eric 3
News School chorus to bring country singer to WNC | ... (Mar '08) Mar '08 Canton Mom 2
News The smoke patrol (Feb '08) Feb '08 Juan 94
News Tuning her voice into a career (Sep '06) Sep '06 S F ATKINSON 1