Edgy version of 'Alice's Adventures' lacks magic

The cast of A'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.A' Caption The cast of the Paper Wing Theatre CompanyA*s production of A'AliceA*s Adventures in Wonderland,A' which opens Friday at the Paper Wing Theatre in Monterey. Full Story
Jordan

Salinas, CA

#1 May 6, 2010
Really!?!?!? i thought is was one of the best things to come to Monterey since The Wall you obviously cant find the dark comedy in this! in my opinion it was one of the best shows ive seen in years!! 5/5
Better off

Seattle, WA

#2 May 6, 2010
This critic probably should have actually gotten his degree from a real university as opposed to the joints in toked in the freezer with his buddy Paul at the Bagel Shop he worked in. For someone who is being published he truly lacks a grasp of the English language. This sentence particularly stood out.
"The cast gives it a go, but no one really lets loose to stand out."
Really dude?... See More
Who is this guy's editor? He also clearly has his own perspective on the word "dark" and how it applies to art. He walked into that theatre wanting something very specific to his view of how the content should be presented and he didn't get it, maybe he should have called you guys and told you what he was looking for a few months ago.
It's just unfortunate that the play wasn't exactly like "The Corpse Bride." but with Alice. He would have loved it.
Can we print my review of this douchebag Mr. Editor?
Becca

El Cajon, CA

#3 May 6, 2010
I thought the play was fantastic! I could see how it might not be some people's cup of tea but the dark, creepy aspect was exactly what I was hoping to see and I wasn't let down whatsoever. This review is pretty stale and doesent really give this production the credit it deserves. I mean really? The actors weren't enjoying themselves? That's pretty moronic. Sounds like the critic is a bit out of touch. Oh, and the white rabbit is hot!
Neal

El Cajon, CA

#4 May 6, 2010
Isn't it common knowledge that most of Mr. Cabrara's reviews lack magic?
Logan

Monterey, CA

#5 May 8, 2010
I was there last night because I could tell right away that this review was out of line (stick to Storybook Theatre--that's your speed, friend). Nor did it do its apparent job and stop the theatre from packing the house! No kiddie show this--no easy answers, no fear of confrontation--but entertaining as hell and VERY enthusiastically played--do I detect a personal grudge somewhere? I can't believe we actually saw the same show...
Koly- Paper Wing Theatre

Monterey, CA

#6 May 8, 2010
We appreciate the opportunity, at every turn, to disturb people and to push their limits. Obviously, "Alice" has done that with Mr. Cabrera and we are grateful for the chance.
We are also happy that he took the time to come and review our production.
Many thanks to our savvy and enthusiastic supporters who have commented on this thread and who continue to love and support the darkly artistic side of theatre!
Jasmine

Carmel Valley, CA

#7 May 9, 2010
Ya I saw this and I had to leave at intermission. The audience was full of old smelly obnoxious people that had to clap at the end of every scens which RUINED the whole Play experience. I mean come on isn't that common knowledge not to clap till the end?
I agree that all the sex jokes were just plain and overdone. Way too over dramatic for such a small theater. It felt like the cast was just yelling their lines so the old people could hear them. Sometimes less is more. The "teen" white rabbit looks like he's thirty, the nathan pimp just liked to play with his sunglasses and although the crack head was good, it's not hard to act like a crazy person.
I do like dark humor but this was just trying too hard to be something it's not. Maybe recast the white rabbit to someone younger and make the jokes more subtle and it could be interesting. They should have the director or someone introduce the play and tell the audience not to clap a every scene as well.
Koly at Paper Wing

Monterey, CA

#8 May 12, 2010
Thanks for giving us a try! It's actually something we allow our audiences to do at all of our shows, enthusiastically applaud wherever they feel moved to do so. Actors love to feel when an audience is pumped. I am so very sorry you were bothered by the "smell of old people"; there's really nothing we can do about that :-)
As far as and introduction to the crowd, that is really only done at youth and school theatres and tends to distract from the fantasy of theatre.
If you would like to visit our website, with your name and contact info, I would be glad to give you a ticket exchange for another show.
Jasmine wrote:
Ya I saw this and I had to leave at intermission. The audience was full of old smelly obnoxious people that had to clap at the end of every scens which RUINED the whole Play experience. I mean come on isn't that common knowledge not to clap till the end?
I agree that all the sex jokes were just plain and overdone. Way too over dramatic for such a small theater. It felt like the cast was just yelling their lines so the old people could hear them. Sometimes less is more. The "teen" white rabbit looks like he's thirty, the nathan pimp just liked to play with his sunglasses and although the crack head was good, it's not hard to act like a crazy person.
I do like dark humor but this was just trying too hard to be something it's not. Maybe recast the white rabbit to someone younger and make the jokes more subtle and it could be interesting. They should have the director or someone introduce the play and tell the audience not to clap a every scene as well.
James Michael Shoberg

United States

#9 May 13, 2010
My thanks to those who supported and enjoyed my script, as well as those great folks at The Paper Wing Theatre Company, who rolled the dice on an unsolicited, twisted playwright and afforded him the opportunity to have a West Coast premiere. I realize that my darker, more alternative work isn't for everyone, and when you specialize almost exclusively in that type of fare, one must accept the pitfalls which accompany it. I take no offense to the handful of reviews I have received in my career, which reflect that truth, but when the actors and audience enjoy themselves, it makes it all worth while to me. This was the third production of Alice's Adventures in "Wonderland," and each has been tremendously successful in all aspects that matter. For that I am grateful. That said, I hope to push on, and have this show produced in more venues. It is personally one of my favorites and I love seeing actors take the characters in interesting new directions. My thanks to all. Positive response or negative, ultimately the feedback will help me to mold the best show possible. With that in mind, anyone may contact me personally, should they wish to offer any further comments or questions regarding the piece, at rageofthestage@yahoo.com. Thank you.-Jim

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewis Carroll Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Literary conspiracy theories (Jan '13) Sep '13 Adrien 2
Is there malice in Carroll's Alice? (Nov '12) Nov '12 Sleep Country Canada 1
Books: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Dec '11) May '12 May the 4th be wi... 8
Winners a " Alice in Wonderland: Classic Film C... (Apr '10) Apr '10 jamie 1
Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland' (Apr '10) Apr '10 DeppHeadKC 5
Movie review: "Alice in Wonderland" | Columbus ... (Mar '10) Mar '10 swader 2
Review: 'Alice In Wonderland' Light On Lunacy -... (Mar '10) Mar '10 TRACEY 1

Lewis Carroll People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE