'Movie music' slur displays artistic elitism

Full story: Baltimore Sun
In his review of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra 's concert featuring Leonard Slatkin 's composition "The Raven," a musical representation of Edgar Allan Poe 's poems, critic Tim Smith said: "Unfortunately, ... Full Story
Doug Halfen - Baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#1 Nov 25, 2008
Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with this assessment of the "magnificence" of most film music, even when coming from the glittering names of those mentioned by Mr. Thompson (I am _deeply_ familiar with them all and am _especially_ fond of Mr. Rozsa's many epic scores). I would _not_ put any of those names on the same level of composition at which Bruckner, Brahms, Wagner, Schubert, Beethoven, etc., all rest.
I also believe that "great" film scoring is hardly _just_ an "American" phenomenon. One could certainly appreciate the work of Nino Rota, Prokofiev, Ennio Morricone, Toru Takemitsu, Philippe Sarde, Shostakovich, Akira Ifukube, and many more (including some notable _new_ names), none of whom are or were American. And we also must remember to not confuse "symphonic" (in the sense that the great symphonists knew) with "orchestral." Film composers may treat their material in "symphonic" ways, but we do _not_ derive symphonies from these scores, except by "Frankenstein Monster" method.
I also would not condemn Mr. Smith for being "elitist" in his assessment. I, for one, understood _exactly_ what he meant.
(And I think I'll listen to Rozsa's "Ben-Hur" and Howard Shore's "Lord of the Rings" scores later this week. ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leonard Slatkin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Met avoids repeat train wreck by switching cond... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Old Sam 1
Orpheus myth reimagined (Jul '08) Jul '08 AJZ 1
bowing out (Jun '08) Jun '08 get serious 1
Making beautiful music - Bennington Banner (Feb '08) Feb '08 Robert B Rosoff 1
Lively mix is classic Slatkin (Jan '08) Jan '08 wmtdurkin 1
No done deal but Slatkin wants DSO director job (Sep '07) Sep '07 Name 2
Natl. Symphony Sets Rostropovich Tribute (May '07) May '07 Small Voice By Th... 1
More from around the web