Is Led Zeppelin Satanic?
First Prev
of 40
Next Last
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#1 Sep 26, 2009
Are they satanic? I know that Jimmy bought you know who's house, and is there subliminal messages in Stairway To Heaven? I am a christian and it's not my job to judge them idk but I also heard a rumor floatin around that Jimmy became a Christian.
Chuck

Grimsby, UK

#2 Oct 15, 2009
Yes Jimmy did buy Aleister Crowleys house, Jimmy also ownded an occult book store and published one of Crowleys books.

All the theorys about Jimmy being a satanist are built on the assumtpion that Crowley was a confirmed or even self-addmitted satanist.

Crowley followed his own religion called thelema, not satanism. He mixed sex with religious rituals, took drugs, and studied every occult topic the church does not want followers to read. Therefore he got a reputation for being a very very bad man or very clever strange genius.

He also lived a lifestyle that would seem bizarre to most non-christians.
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#3 Oct 16, 2009
Chuck wrote:
Yes Jimmy did buy Aleister Crowleys house, Jimmy also ownded an occult book store and published one of Crowleys books.
All the theorys about Jimmy being a satanist are built on the assumtpion that Crowley was a confirmed or even self-addmitted satanist.
Crowley followed his own religion called thelema, not satanism. He mixed sex with religious rituals, took drugs, and studied every occult topic the church does not want followers to read. Therefore he got a reputation for being a very very bad man or very clever strange genius.
He also lived a lifestyle that would seem bizarre to most non-christians.
But didn't crowley call himself the beast 666 and do human sacrifices?
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#4 Oct 16, 2009
im just happy jimmy is living a happy life and isn't into the occult anymore.
JpP

Montebello, CA

#5 Oct 16, 2009
Bill wrote:
im just happy jimmy is living a happy life and isn't into the occult anymore.
Thanks bloke, I'm getting along quite well and looking forward to the rest of it as it were... back then I never worshiped anybody... Satan or anybody else... although they say we all worshiped Clapton... I tended to worship Les Paul and my tele... my guitars got the most of my attention and time.
I was really just taken in by the whole mystique of Boleskine... and that's all. It was just a fascination of mine. I find myself continuously fascinated with dark history, architecture, goth and art and then there was the occult and that was only a small part of everything else...
Don't think I walked around at night with candles chanting from the devils bible in my dragon suit and casting spells and such... it wasn't like that at all. It was just a place in time. It got out of hand with the magazines and press made much more of it than it really was... they tend to do that. It was really just a healthy curiosity and an interest of mine at one time... one must find out for one's self ... it's not healthy to believe in everything they tell you about anything.
As for the Boleskine... I just had enough money at the time to be as rediculously frivolous as I wanted and so I went and bought the damn place... there was a certain exhileration and sense of power in buying something so enormous and outrageously expensive just because I wanted to... it was good for my image back then... that was before they tried to pin it all on me... you know ... blame me for everything bad that happened us... to any of us.
well that's all really...
Chuck

Luton, UK

#6 Oct 21, 2009
Crowleys christian mother called him the Beast, he adopted it as his nickname, and added the 666 part himself. Crowley was a social critic of christianity. He probibly used this nickname to prove a point and to build his non-christian controversial image.
Chuck

Luton, UK

#7 Oct 21, 2009
The human sacrafice myth comes from one of crowleys own books. in a chapter called 69 , how to suck seed and suck eggs.

read it for yourself and decide if Crowley is talking about having sex, or sacraficing a human.
Lucifer

Montebello, CA

#8 Oct 22, 2009
I'll tell you what's satanic... Celine Dion is satanic... leave my zep alone!
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#9 Oct 27, 2009
Hey Chuck what about the subliminal messages in Stairway To Heaven? What about Zoso? I read that Zozo means 666. Also I read that the "May Queen" is from one of Aleisteir Crowley's poems? Didn't Aleisteir Crowley own a satanic church? Didn't Robert Plant say that his hand just started moving and writing down lyrics to Stairway To Heaven? On stage didn't Jimmy use a violin bow to strum his guitar like a wand? Also didn't Jimmy wear a dragon suit at Led Zeppelin concerts?
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#10 Oct 27, 2009
I'm not necessarily mean that it had to do with satanism, but was Aleister Crowley an occultist? Was Jimmy a devil worshipper yes or no?
Jim_Plant69777

Tulsa, OK

#11 Oct 28, 2009
No Led Zeppelin is not Satanic....It's Rock N Roll....... The church people make their own books and magazines it's a non taxed racket if you ask me;)

YOu're all invited to Winona's Birthday Bash=)
Chuck

Cwmbran, UK

#12 Oct 31, 2009
Zozo is only listed in one book, its somthing to with astrology? again. not satanism but in certain eras of religion, beleaving it would get you accused of being a satanist or a witch.Zozo is also the symbol Jimmy chose to put on the front cover of their untlited album. it was released with no print, not even their name, just four symbols.

Crowley owned a chuch of telema, it was not satanic, but close enough for any god fearing christian. As for backwards messages in records like stairway, or baby hit me one more time(britney spears), you have to be told what words to hear, before you can interpret them as such.

Its possible crowley was slitting the throats of goats while doing "magik" alot like people who never heard of the bible or the language it was written in,. maybe people who practice SANTERIA RELIGION, slitting the throats of chickens in religious rituals, its got the stereotypes of satanism but these people never heard of satan, and what they do makes modern meat production seem quite humane in my opinion. Also in your local meat house you will have a Jewish rabbi performing a religious ritual in connection with the meat to make it kosher with his God, Mulsims also. just because what they are doing isnt christian dosent mean its the oposet, because they are doing it in their own context and culutre.

Yes plant and page made some comments as writers often do, about their song comming out of nowhere, a higher power, listen to artists interviews, they all say this type of thing.

Crowley said "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law, LOVE is the law, love under will"

Does that sound satanic to you? again crowley has an in-defensible reputation for being a bad guy, and a crazy genuis that few people understood, and alot of people misunderstood.

but theres no hard proof of anything other than alot of alternitive beleaf systems/religion
Chuck

Cwmbran, UK

#13 Oct 31, 2009
Yes Jimmys suit was alot like Elvis, Led Zep often played tributes to Elvis, it has astroligical symbols on it and he no longer wears that.
Chuck

Cwmbran, UK

#14 Oct 31, 2009
Yes Crowley was one of the most famous occultists of all time. and No Jimmy is not a satanist
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#15 Nov 3, 2009
Do occultists worship Satan? I know Jimmy no longer wears the suit because he moved out of the Boleskine. OK Here's the book about Led Zeppelin that I read Chuck Here's what it said about Jimmy buying Crowley's house. Is Jimmy an occultist? Yes or no? In a booklet about Led Zeppelin here's what I read:
Crowley Magick:
"During 1970, members of the group had added to their investments by buying extra farm land, card, or houses. Jimmy Page bought Aleister Crowley's old property, Boleskin House on the shores of Lock Ness. Crowley (1875-1947) had lived a decadent life seeking his nirvana through opiates, sex, and 'magick'. He experimented with dark forces and attempted tto summon demons. Page was fascinated by the man and had bought books, manuscripts and memorabilia on the subject. When tragedy was to strike members of the band, there were some who tried to apportion blame to him for having dabbled with the black arts, accusing him of 'making a pact with Satan'. Atlantic Records reckoned Jimmy Page was on a suicide mission when he refused to give a title to the group's fourth album. But Jimmy, still recovering from the critical attack on the previous album was adamant. He wanted the record to stand or fall by its music alone. The one compromise agreed was to have four symbols representing each member of the band displayed on the cover. Page's symbol looked like the word 'Zoso'. Bonham's and Jones' symbols were taken from a book on runes, and Plant's was from a sign of the ancient Mu civilization. As a result the album has been variously known as: Led Zeppelin Iv, Untitled, Four Symbols, Zoso, or The Runes."
No I didn't hear this at my church I read this on a book by Thomas Friend called The Fallen Angel or something like that. I never actually read it I read the reviews on amazon.com . I read the 1 and 2 star reviews first and then read the 4 and 5 stars there were no 3 star ratings after reading 4 and 5 star ratings I felt kind of guilty. It says that Thomas Friend explains the meaning of lyrics to some Zeppelin sons like The Song Remains The Same, No Quarter, The Rover, The Battle of Evermore, and yes Stairway To Heaven I read in one review that he says Battle of Evermore is about Armageddon but Zep says it's about some Scottish book or something. Do occultists worship satan I might have asked you this question earlier but I just want to know. I know most of you probably aren't Christian I'm a Christian and it's different to me because I care if they're satanic or not most atheists don't really care about this so don't get mad at me.
Bill

Wayne, NJ

#16 Nov 3, 2009
Chuck wrote:
Yes Crowley was one of the most famous occultists of all time. and No Jimmy is not a satanist
I thought you said he was a thelemite. That's what it says on wikipedia I know anyone can edit that but you were lying?
mint jelly enema

Fairfield, NJ

#17 Nov 8, 2009
I wish I was Satan,so I could dispatch all you jacks. In Thru The Outdoor,what shit.
Chuck

Coventry, UK

#18 Nov 24, 2009
Bill

I think most athiests would indeed care IF a band was preaching a satanic message. especially if was the christians-worst-nightmare kind of satanism.

Answer to your question.
Crowley was an occultist and a thelemite, in the same way asian people dont call themselves asian, they call themselves Chinese or Japanese but WE call them asian. In a similar way, we call Aliester Crowley an occultist, he might call himself an occultist too (i dont know) but he definatly considered himself a thelemite

Answer to your other question.
An occultist is not the same thing as a devil worshipper, the word occult means hidden knowledge, the study of the occult attracts anyone with a curious mind (all sorts of people good or bad)

To give you an idea of what Jimmy Page might have been reading in Crowleys books..... here a quote from Crowley

"avoid interfering with the Wills of others, to enlighten others when needed, and to worship the divine nature of all other beings"

Bill, Crowleys religion was based around developing ones own true will/destiny, Crowley didnt beleave people were born with a true will fully intact, he beleaved that a persons true will was somthing to practice and develop.

heres a quote from wiki..
"Thelema a path of spiritual development based on seeking and putting into practice one's True Will, or destiny, the soul's Will rather than the ego's desires"
Chuck

Coventry, UK

#19 Nov 24, 2009
Here is another clue to what Crowley was up to...

from wikipedia...

"Crowley claimed to use a scientific method to study what people at the time called spiritual experiences, By this he meant that religious experiences should not be taken at face value, but critiqued and experimented with in order to arrive at their underlying mystical or neurological meaning."

see that Bill? I doubt crowley would beleave in the devil even if he had the experiance of meeting him personally.
Chuck

Coventry, UK

#20 Nov 24, 2009
"there were some who tried to apportion blame to him for having dabbled with the black arts, accusing him of 'making a pact with Satan'."

Does anyone out there know WHO started this accusation against Jimmy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Led Zeppelin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote Led Zeppelin "best rock band ever" (Dec '07) Jul 5 bambino 31
News NewsWatch Billy Joel's surprise performance wit... Jun 26 kelly 2
News IAAF upholds bans on Russian athletes for Rio G... Jun '16 Christaliban 5
AWESOME Led Zeppelin tribute show in NYC! Jun '16 purpledead 1
Led Zeppelin Fans in Central Illinois May '16 Roc Maven 2
Led Zeppelin Quiz – 1 May '16 ugur 1
News Duke Performances sponsors summer garden concer... Apr '16 Octopus 1
More from around the web