Great Debate: Led Zeppelin Vs. The Who

Jul 11, 2007 Full story: Cinema Blend News 24

By Brendan Butler and J.P. Gorman: 2007-07-10 21:07:00 Led Zeppelin! -- Brendan Butler "The Who" is more than a band--it's a likely response people will make when uttered in conjunction with the holy grail of ... via Cinema Blend News

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Cincinnati, OH

#21 Aug 23, 2007
i like both, but i like zep a lot more. zep all the way.
pagefan1555

Richmond, VA

#22 Aug 24, 2013
I'm a big Zep/Page fan. While I do respect the Who, and think they have a number of really good songs, I have never really thought of them as being in Zeppelin's league. I've tried to get into their music--I've watched some of their live DVD's--but a lot of their music just strikes me as "blah." There seems to be a lack of good improvisaton, etc. Townshend sounds too proto-punk for my taste, and I also don't like the pretentious psuedo-intellectual rock-opera and pinball wizard thing. I also don't like the guitar smashing. Can you imagine Page smashing one of his prized guitars? His doubleneck? lol. I think the Who's music must be an acquired taste.
PDBT

Holden, MA

#23 Jul 3, 2014
Anyone who thinks Led Zep is BETTER than The WHO is banannas!!!!!!!!
OxAcolyte

Christchurch, New Zealand

#24 Aug 14, 2014
I have to give the edge to the Who. Not really into Zep, though I recognise their importance to rock music. I prefer Roger Daltrey's rock n' roll voice over Plant's midget shrieking, and the Who weren't blatant blues rip-offs. Pete Townshend crushes Page as a lyric writer in terms of depth, insight, and engagement. Not as technical a guitarist as Page, but I've always valued feel and emotive playing over mere technicality and virtuosity, which is why I rank the Stones and Beatles ahead of Zep as well. Plus, they had John fuckin' Entwistle, rock music's greatest bass player. And what can be said for Keith Moon!? The Who. Dead cert for me.

JPJ and Bonzo kick ass though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Led Zeppelin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Truth about Lori Maddox and other Myths abo... (Jun '13) Dec 9 Eusebius 6
33 Years Ago: Led Zeppelin Play Their Last Concert (Jul '13) Dec 9 Concerned_American 2
Robert Plant turns down $800 million for reunion Nov '14 nikkihomeland 1
Jimmy Page says Led Zeppelin reunion is not pos... Oct '14 tomschryer 1
Jimmy Page Says Robert Plant-Free Band Will Not... (Nov '08) Oct '14 Maggie 27
Jack Bruce explains why he hates Led Zeppelin (Nov '08) Sep '14 ABPeace 13
No Honor For Pedophile Jimmy Page (Dec '12) Sep '14 Genevieve117 27
More from around the web